The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] Companions Should Not Attack Symaris Synthesis Targets

TheIvoryKitty

Hello all!

I'm sure that this has been mentioned before, but maybe not for some time --

I think it would be a big improvement if our companions (Kavats, Kubrows, and Sentinels) did not attack Symaris synthesis targets.

Often enough, even when my husband and I are standing around desperately trying to scan all the parts of a target as quickly as possible, and no one is trying to kill the target, it still ends up getting killed before we can finish scanning. Even if we do finish scanning, the process feels anxious and rushed, because we're trying to scan faster than our sentinels can kill, and that depletes from the fun of the mission a little bit.

Thanks for reading!

• Like 2

Agreed. There's a work around if you're planning on doing Samaris capture targets (removing gun or attack precept), but there are always those situations where one shows up that you weren't expecting. Thankfully, they're super beefy, so it's not often they'll actually kill the target.. though it's still nerve wracking to be the person attacking the capture, especially when you can't control it and absolutely know better. May also be worth considering, if the Sentinel says it's a target it wants to kill, more players may consider it a target they want to kill if they don't know better yet.. leading by example sort of thing.

Also worth noting, while the guns don't fire on conservation animals, some of the offensive precept abilities do. My Djinn cooked a whole group of sleepy Ghost Kuaka about 3 weeks ago.. meaning Djinn's now on time-out while it reflects on the virtues of impulse control.

Fine suggestion, OP. Thanks for sharing.

Just had an idea for a Samaris Sentinel Arcane..

Will not fire on Samaris Scan targets.
Lvl 0 has a 25% chance of casting kinetic siphon trap when a point is scanned. (Once every 30s.)
Lvl 1 has 50%, etc..

Depends whether it's easier/better for DE to program that arcane and arcane slot for sentients, or just remove the enemy marker against Samaris targets.
The arcane could have potential for other features in the future.. like Precept cooldowns, circumstantial damage or fire rate boosts, etc. Just brainstorming.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kapn655321 said:

Just had an idea for a Samaris Sentinel Arcane..

Will not fire on Samaris Scan targets.
Lvl 0 has a 25% chance of casting kinetic siphon trap when a point is scanned. (Once every 30s.)
Lvl 1 has 50%, etc..

Depends whether it's easier/better for DE to program that arcane and arcane slot for sentients, or just remove the enemy marker against Samaris targets.
The arcane could have potential for other features in the future.. like Precept cooldowns, circumstantial damage or fire rate boosts, etc. Just brainstorming.

This is a really interesting idea. On the one hand, I feel like your sentinels shouldn't be doing anything actively against your current objectives in general, and so for them to attack conservation animals or scan targets that you're not supposed to kill just feels wrong. Also, I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't want to give up a mod slot to tell their sentinels to do something that it feels like they shouldn't be doing in the first place. On the other hand, though, if there was a mod like this that could make my sentinels possibly cast siphon trap for me instead of me old-people-style fidgeting through my gear wheel trying to cast mine and then switching back to my scanner with similar ineptitude, I would 100% apply that to my companions every time, and would LOVE it.

4 minutes ago, TheIvoryKitty said:

if there was a mod like this that could make my sentinels possibly cast siphon trap for me instead of me old-people-style fidgeting through my gear wheel

4 minutes ago, TheIvoryKitty said:

I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't want to give up a mod slot to tell their sentinels

I went through this same exact thought process.

People are already on edge about game wide forma consumption processes.. so those options are what's left.
If you go into the conceptual thicket to fix it with mods without forma usage..

Every common mod used in sentinels could be exactly power crept out by an All Sentinels mod set:
Each mod represented (in equal value to their common version), as a rare set mods from Samaris.
Set bonus with the same intent as the arcane (%spawn kinetic trap on successful samaris scan points).

I'll do you one better... Have excessive scans count toward earning a Noggle of that scan target! 😃
Make noggles tradeable for collectors, or for people to give newbies some swag/aesthetic for fun.