Galoain

Learning How To "Jump Good?"

Question

I've been struggling a bit with the Mastery Rank 8 test.  I know WHAT I'm supposed to do, it's a pretty straightforward test.  The problem is that I jump like a klutz! 😬

I have a tendency to overshoot the platforms with a bullet jump, and a regular jump obviously won't get me far enough.  Does anyone have any tips on how to better control my jumps and landings so I can, as Samurai Jack put it so eloquently, "no fly, jump good!"😁

21 answers to this question

Holding Aim while airborne slow falls.

Some mods increase height or speed of jumps, rate of descent, etc.

If you haven't made a Zephyr yet, give her a try. She's available in Tenno labs in Dojos, and being airborne without using energy, is her thing.

• Like 4

Thank you!  I'll get an extra slot and pay my clan's dojo a visit!

• Upvote 1

As Kapn said, aim while in the air to "aim glide", which will let you control your direction and momentum. Where you aim before you bullet jump also affects the angle of your jump, so keep that in mind. Also, if you're overshooting, you can use your double jump to jump backwards before you go too far.

as noted, you can Aimglide cancel out of a Bullet Jump at any time, to make it go less distance than it would normally.

don't forget that we also have Double Jump and Roll, these tools can also be used to cancel Bullet Jumps to go a shorter distance, or if you time them differently, to go farther.
(protip: don't spam Jump when Bullet Jumping, if you cancel a Bullet Jump into a Double Jump instantly, then you effectively didn't even Bullet Jump, because you canceled all of that Acceleration)

remember that you can Roll(or air Roll) in any direction, and rolling sideways can change the angle of your trajectory, while Rolling backwards will slow you down.
if you are Aiming/Aimgliding when you perform an air Roll, you also can make a backwards Roll propel you backwards at a pretty good Velocity!

51 minutes ago, Ailith said:

Where you aim before you bullet jump also affects the angle of your jump, so keep that in mind.

sortof..... but the angle of your Bullet Jump is also determined by the Terrain you are standing on(annoyingly). and when the Terrain is in very weird uneven shapes, it takes priority over what you were trying to do with your Camera.

something that i didn't know until i was like mastery rank 10 or something stupid like that was that if you bullet jump and look up ... you bullet jump up... also aim gliding and rolling while you bullet jump and getting the right timing to increase or decrease distance is a must eventually, makes everything so much ffaster and precise

• Upvote 1

I'm having the same problem as the OP. I'm sure it's me, but can you guys put all of this into simpler terms.

When you say "look up" how far up is up?  straight up like 90 degrees up?  or more like 60 degrees?

So I'm standing on the platform, I have to push left joystick forward to sprint, then hit  L1 + X, to bullet jump,  then hit L2 to aim, while using right joystick to look down at platform I want to land on ... do I have that right?

what controls the distance I jump?  is it the aiming point before I jump? Does my bullet jump go the same distance every time if I aim at the same point in the sky?

I've used multiple frames.  I can't believe that I just miss the end of the platform using Excaliber and Zypher, and also just miss it using Rhino.  So Rhino can jump just as far as the more agile frames?

I've been trying for a week and I am not one bit closer to making it than I was a week ago even though I've practiced for hours.  Sorry, but this is so frustrating.

4 hours ago, Galoain said:

Does anyone have any tips on how to better control my jumps and landings

I suppose you have already joined a dojo full of MR20+ Grind Masters, Visit them and ask for guidance.
Better than keeps failing the same mission I think.

You can crouch in midair for jumpkicks too. Forward direction + Crouch in midair.

It's amusingly strong enough to kill enemies too.

But mainly it's another move to help you drop down fast. There's also downward melee for that though.

14 hours ago, taiiat said:

sortof..... but the angle of your Bullet Jump is also determined by the Terrain you are standing on(annoyingly). and when the Terrain is in very weird uneven shapes, it takes priority over what you were trying to do with your Camera.

There are some weird edge cases where you may get caught on terrain and it'll affect your direction, but otherwise, nope, your aim determines the angle of your bullet jump.

11 hours ago, (PS4)northern_rebal said:

I'm having the same problem as the OP. I'm sure it's me, but can you guys put all of this into simpler terms.

When you say "look up" how far up is up?  straight up like 90 degrees up?  or more like 60 degrees?

So I'm standing on the platform, I have to push left joystick forward to sprint, then hit  L1 + X, to bullet jump,  then hit L2 to aim, while using right joystick to look down at platform I want to land on ... do I have that right?

what controls the distance I jump?  is it the aiming point before I jump? Does my bullet jump go the same distance every time if I aim at the same point in the sky?

I've used multiple frames.  I can't believe that I just miss the end of the platform using Excaliber and Zypher, and also just miss it using Rhino.  So Rhino can jump just as far as the more agile frames?

I've been trying for a week and I am not one bit closer to making it than I was a week ago even though I've practiced for hours.  Sorry, but this is so frustrating.

Recorded a short video example since it's easier than only trying to explain the mechanics, especially since you're on console and I'm on pc with mouse and keyboard.

You can see how pointing your crosshair at varying angles will affect your jump angle (you don't have to aim btw, just move your crosshair). Aiming straight up jumps at a 90 degree angle, aiming straight down does the same thing (for whatever reason), aiming low gives you a shallow jump, aiming basically straight ahead gives you a long jump, aiming higher gives you more height than distance, etc.

I also tried to give a few examples of correcting your movement with aim gliding and double jumps. You can control your direction and slow your fall while aim gliding (M2 / LT / L2), I did this from a standing jump with no momentum to show off how much of an effect it has. Try to hold on to your double jump after bullet jumping in case you over/undershoot a jump or just need to change direction. I show a couple examples of this where I fall off the platforms because I used my double jump too soon and therefore couldn't correct myself.

Sliding and rolling are also good ways to chain your individual movements together. Normally, if you fall from a tall enough height, your frame will do a landing animation and bring you to a stop. However, you can roll just before landing or crouch while still in mid-air to slide when you land and keep moving (easiest to do when using toggle crouch, imo). You can also roll in any direction mid-air to cancel your momentum and go in a completely different direction.

Once you get used to it, standard movement through most of the game consists of sprinting, using a slide to start a bullet jump, sliding upon landing to keep momentum, then continuing into another bullet jump. It becomes second-nature when you've done it several thousand times, so keep practicing and you'll learn the motion eventually.

• Applause 1

I went back to the basics, and I've  forced myself to slide and roll more and more. Bullet jumps tend to be okay, if not a bit far.   I've  improved my game movement slot. I've  gotten 100% faster moving around.

This test though ... I'm  consistently too far, then I mess around and I'm  too short.

13 hours ago, (PS4)northern_rebal said:

I went back to the basics, and I've  forced myself to slide and roll more and more. Bullet jumps tend to be okay, if not a bit far.   I've  improved my game movement slot. I've  gotten 100% faster moving around.

This test though ... I'm  consistently too far, then I mess around and I'm  too short.

When you find yourself going too far, just 'tap' the aim glide button. You can use this again and again as you jump to 'flutter' brake to land with precision.

Also take a look at the air mods you have equipped - if you can get hold of the mod that increases your double jump, the ones that increase or decrease your aim glide gravity, the bullet jump mods, you can build your frame specifically for this test, and you'll find that you can actually tune your jumping to go as far or as short as you need. Jumping mods are often overlooked, most are easy to come by.

38 minutes ago, MrMaRc0s said:

you can take a thrown melee and just kill them all from distance

Either you somehow responded to the wrong topic, or you need to actually read the contents of this one 😄

4 hours ago, (NSW)Mycroft said:

When you find yourself going too far, just 'tap' the aim glide button. You can use this again and again as you jump to 'flutter' brake to land with precision.

Also take a look at the air mods you have equipped - if you can get hold of the mod that increases your double jump, the ones that increase or decrease your aim glide gravity, the bullet jump mods, you can build your frame specifically for this test, and you'll find that you can actually tune your jumping to go as far or as short as you need. Jumping mods are often overlooked, most are easy to come by.

I was trying zypher, maybe that's not the best frame? I also used Rhino without much difference. So you're  saying I want a nod to increase glide gravity?  I will have to see what I have.

I appreciate all the advice. It may seem simple to you all, but my fingers don't seem to do all I'm trying.

45 minutes ago, (PS4)northern_rebal said:

I was trying zypher, maybe that's not the best frame? I also used Rhino without much difference. So you're  saying I want a nod to increase glide gravity?  I will have to see what I have.

I appreciate all the advice. It may seem simple to you all, but my fingers don't seem to do all I'm trying.

Last night I did the MR 11 (VERY similar, as it's a 'shoot-and-jump' exercise), and I took three attempts (one failed test, making the initial mistakes , one completed one, one qualifier). The best advice I can think of is practice (yeah duh, right!) and when you do, remember - you're not doing the same 'jump' all the time. Sometimes you'll bullet-jump, sometimes you'll double-jump, sometimes you'll aim glide... Also don't rush at it - like they say is sniper school 'slow is smooth, smooth is fast'. Trying too hard will make you tense up, make mistakes which makes you tense up and make MORE mistakes.

Mods aren't necessarily the answer either (I've used no special mods at all), and neither is the frame you use - I've done these with Rhino, Saryn, Limbo, Excal...

And by 'practice', I don't necessarily mean just running the practice test over and over - run a mission or two from the system map ('Gas City' ones are good for this) and just try different methods of traversal.

Taking it out of the 'test' environment will often help you develop the right muscle memory and stop you from over-thinking your jumps. After a while you'll develop a rhythm and you'll find it much easier.

Edited by (XB1)TwinStripeUK
Punctuation!

I move around the game quite well, much better than in the practice area. It comes down to not really understanding all the button presses, joystick moves etc.  I think I'm  doing what you guys are suggesting but maybe I'm  not. Obviously I'm  not  otherwise I'd  pass the test.

What I don't  understand is how no matter what I do, I am just missing the platform. Is that just the animation or am I really always one tile too long?

I've  started at the front of the platform I'm  on, all the way to the back, bullet jumps,  aim glides, still like one tile too long.

I've  stolen this thread from the OP, which wasn't  my intent.

On 2020-01-12 at 11:23 PM, Galoain said:

I've been struggling a bit with the Mastery Rank 8 test.  I know WHAT I'm supposed to do, it's a pretty straightforward test.  The problem is that I jump like a klutz! 😬

I have a tendency to overshoot the platforms with a bullet jump, and a regular jump obviously won't get me far enough.  Does anyone have any tips on how to better control my jumps and landings so I can, as Samurai Jack put it so eloquently, "no fly, jump good!"😁

You can control  yourself in the air with aim-gliding and Zephyr has reduced gravity, though that makes him slower.

You can also melee slam down to platforms, if you're about to overshoot, although that delays you down.

Edited by TheArcSet

On 2020-01-14 at 11:05 AM, NinjaZeku said:

Either you somehow responded to the wrong topic, or you need to actually read the contents of this one 😄

oops xD

22 hours ago, (PS4)northern_rebal said:

I move around the game quite well, much better than in the practice area. It comes down to not really understanding all the button presses, joystick moves etc.  I think I'm  doing what you guys are suggesting but maybe I'm  not. Obviously I'm  not  otherwise I'd  pass the test.

What I don't  understand is how no matter what I do, I am just missing the platform. Is that just the animation or am I really always one tile too long?

I've  started at the front of the platform I'm  on, all the way to the back, bullet jumps,  aim glides, still like one tile too long.

I've  stolen this thread from the OP, which wasn't  my intent.

Watch the video posted above (it's actually really informative), as it shows plenty of ways to take the momentum out of a jump if you've 'overcooked' it (or glide to add more distance if that's the issue).

On 2020-01-12 at 5:23 PM, Galoain said:

Don't worry, you'll get it. I felt the same way about that test, but those they make you better, especially if you practice. Good luck Tenno.

A little update to this - after spending so long responding to this (and trying to offer some encouragement) I decided to go back to the MR 8 test and give it another try. Full disclosure, I actually fluffed the vertical wall on the first attempt after trying to do it in one bullet jump, but completed it on the second attempt.

The 'moral' of this is that when I initially tried this it took me AGES to get right, with a lot of planning, strategy and practice.

Now, it's pretty much second nature. Just get used to traversal in the game, learn what works for long jumps and what works for short, and above all don't get despondent.

Don't try to force it too much and It'll happen (and you'll find that your overall experience with the game will improve too).