Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How you play railjack,playstyle and flying wise?

DarthIronclad

How you fly your railjack to get the missions done?

Personally i go for a fairly defensive playstyle,usually staying out of range of crewships and then boarding them with archwing,and only strike with my railjack if there are no crewships...

Even if there are no crewships,i still play highly defensively,doing slash and run attacks to make the most out of the shield gating and my fast shield recharge delay...

Also even though my railjack is fairly well fitted,i still play defensively

My playstyle may be a bit on the slow side,but i rarely get any catastrophic failures...

• Like 1

since I got particle Ram, I use it as a shield against Ramsleds and charge directly towards fighters while firing my cannons. that's when I'm solo anyway. probably not a strategy that will work in the Veil just yet, i need more upgrades, but right now I have maxed Particle Ram, a decent Mk3 Zetki Carcinnox and maxed Zetki Bulkhead, so my ship is ok for Earth and Saturn.

funnily enough, I also need a better reactor... yeah, who would've thought...

High speed, cryophons and the ram. With my style of flying (aggressive, not reckless) my gunners frequently complain that there is no point in them being on the guns because they either can't hit anything or I just rammed into the thing they were shooting at.

If the cryophon nerf is as bad as some say, I'll switch to apocs on the front. Close quarters, high dps

9 hours ago, Goodwill said:

Void hole on asteroids and let physics do the rest.

While physics is doing its thing, strip crewship armor using Carcinox and blow it away using Forward Artillery.

Pretty much the same, 

I run an Artillery avionic to get nearly double damage, just need to scratch the crewship with a few procs to down them in one shot. 

for the most of time I'm playing the engineer on other people ships, so I go like "do whatever the heck you want as long as someone makes sure forge has materials to craft from, so I can keep the ship in top shape"

on my ship I rather focus my shields on getting them back as fast as possible, in the long run if I managed to get consistent stable crew of 4 I'd prolly want to play it kind of cruiser/command wannabe - a captain to drive the ship around, engineer (me) to keep it operational and fueled and a pair of "pilots" (in wf terms it would be AW/boarders prolly) to go around the map stripping it of all resources while the main crew kills the stuff - and after that they would go to clear the additional objectives requiring infiltration. I really hope for the buff to winged series avionics so their primary purpose is actually viable (most preferably just remove range limitations 😉 ) so my "pilots" can sustain better and strip the map faster 🙂 

14 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

since I got particle Ram, I use it as a shield against Ramsleds and charge directly towards fighters while firing my cannons. that's when I'm solo anyway. probably not a strategy that will work in the Veil just yet, i need more upgrades, but right now I have maxed Particle Ram, a decent Mk3 Zetki Carcinnox and maxed Zetki Bulkhead, so my ship is ok for Earth and Saturn.

funnily enough, I also need a better reactor... yeah, who would've thought...

all you need for veil is maxed particle ram tbh - sure it takes longer to clear missions with just that but with good enought pilot/engineer it's sufficient I've run gian point once with a friend on basically stock rj with just the ram and a handfull of buffer extending mods (+hp and +armor if memory serves)

14 hours ago, DarthIronclad said:

Even if there are no crewships,i still play highly defensively,doing slash and run attacks to make the most out of the shield gating and my fast shield recharge delay...

Also even though my railjack is fairly well fitted,i still play defensively

My preferred playstyle too, and Vectors with Piloting 3 (breaks homing with Vectors) makes the Veil very manageable against the fighters. If done right, you will have barely any or not even one ship hazard on board.

Summary of pub groups:

Build RJ to be as tanky as possible.

Fly to within weapon falloff range of enemy. See crewship.

Ask if anyone is on sling, sees a "Yes".

Advance RJ forwards and hold steady so slingshot aiming is easier. Slinger does nothing for 40+ seconds while crewship hammers away 70% of my 6k well-armoured + damage reduction RJ.

Say "F it" and jump into archwing to kill crewship (because sling is still occupied). Kill crewship, return to find someone else in pilot seat who refuses to get off.

New pilot proceeds to fly RJ straight into enemy fire in erratic patterns, making the gunner's job impossible.

Spend rest of mission trying to keep RJ alive, kill crewships / fighters, do objectives.

Oh, and the sling is still occupied.

10/10. Would farm for 4% drop +30 avionics capacity Mk. III Vidar reactor again.

Edited by CephalonDizzy

Mostly play solo. For me it's ram into fighters with particle ram combined with Galvarc MKIII (I really like this ordnance). Carcinox for close/mid range additional damage and armor strip on crew ships.

I have recently discovered that I can one-shot veil crewships (at least the ones in early nodes) with basic artillery (no damage mods) if I armor strip them with carcinox, so I started doing that. Before, once I saw a crewship, I would park RJ in an asteroid, blow it up, come back and clean-up the fighters.

10 minutes ago, Mr.Fluffins said:

Galvarc MKIII (I really like this ordnance)

oh, care to provide a bit of explanation on how it precisely works? it seemed nice by description, but numbers on wiki paints it as rather crap ordnance, and the cost is kiiiind of too high for me to risk crafting one if it's ass bad as it looks on paper.....

(you can dm me with it if you don't want to dilute thread with galvarc talks xD)

14 minutes ago, Mr.Fluffins said:

if I armor strip them with carcinox

this is not limited to carcinox tbh - it's plasma proc that does the strip, and quite a handfull of guns have secondary plasma damage type with similar ratios of between primary and secondary damage type at mk3. That being said carcinox seems to be indeed better fitted for this because of fast rof and high status chance compared to other guns. Just noting others are viable for that too 🙂

26 minutes ago, Elenortirie said:

oh, care to provide a bit of explanation on how it precisely works? it seemed nice by description, but numbers on wiki paints it as rather crap ordnance, and the cost is kiiiind of too high for me to risk crafting one if it's ass bad as it looks on paper.....

(you can dm me with it if you don't want to dilute thread with galvarc talks xD)

this is not limited to carcinox tbh - it's plasma proc that does the strip, and quite a handfull of guns have secondary plasma damage type with similar ratios of between primary and secondary damage type at mk3. That being said carcinox seems to be indeed better fitted for this because of fast rof and high status chance compared to other guns. Just noting others are viable for that too 🙂

Regarding armor strip, so far I tried Zetki photor (has plasma) and Vidar apoc (also has plasma), and Zetki Carcinox did it much faster and actually stripped all of it, while with Apoc and Photor I always failed to strip enough to one-shot with artillery (maybe I need status chance avionics for these weapons).

Regarding Galvarc, it is a very close range beam weapon that has auto-aim and shoots 3 beams at once (so it can hit 3 enemies at once). It deals numerous ticks, and also gives them fire procs. I use galvarc with an ordnance damage boosting avionic, and combined with recent buff to fire procs (they deal damage faster now), galvarc is really good at clearing swarms of fighters that are right on you, especially when combined with Particle ram (plus nothing stops you from shooting your regular weapons at the same time, Galvarc keeps on firing for some time after one shot).

I fly out in my RJ to kill the first set of fighters to make the first crewship spawn. I then back off and fly my archwing out to capture it: a captured crewship draws aggro like nobody's business and it is just shy of indestructible so it's a great decoy. I then pick fighters off with the RJ and either capture (if I'm trying to get max intrinsics) or kill (if I'm trying to get done faster) each additional crewship as they arrive. For best intrsinsics, I let each new crewship send its ramsleds and hop out of the RJ while they're in transit - boarders stand around bored if the RJ is empty.

Gungho!

I drop a specture in the middle of the railjack to timesink any boarders til i can deal with them, I fly into the nearest mass of fighters drop void hole and nuke, if there is a crewship in the mix, I don't actually nuke the fighters, I jump into the slingshot and board the crewship, take out the reactor asap, warp back to crewship, take care of any boarders, remote repair (this is a god send solo) as I go along. jump back in top the pilot seat, repeat the process if there is another crewship up otherwise I drop another void hole and mop up the fighters..

Remote repair is the reason I go in gungho, cause even with void hole alone, I was a bit more timid

I'm playing in a filthy casual style:

1. RJ got critical failures and no crew available ? park inside a cave and repair, then plan my next move.
  2. Too many targets ? Take out the high priority targets first (Shipkiller , Missile Platform, Crewships) , then clean up the remaining fighters
  3. Crewships? Loki board the Crewship. Cloak. Tigris the core and Recall. Rinse and Repeat.
  4. Outriders? Munition one-shot.
  5. Crewships's healing bubble? Pop it with Photor.
  6. Lots of RJ boarders? Loki irradiated disarm... "Can't blame them for trying".
  7. Dealing with a swarm of fighters? Particle Ram + Munition Vortex (+Void Hole for more mass effects)
  8. Fighters are dodgy? Photor is hitscan, they can dodge all they want, I always hit.
  9. Too many harzards and too busy? fix only critical failures and yellow fires, ignore the rest.
  10. The game is getting too grindy? Take a break.

The enemy is nothing if you know how to exploit their weaknesses.

Below's my RJ "Casual fly in The Veil" build:
8SVF449.jpg

16 hours ago, Mr.Fluffins said:

(maybe I need status chance avionics for these weapons).

ha, I wish these existed xD

Well carcinox does have higher rate of fire and higher status chance than other guns I've peeked at for this purpose so it would proc more often. That being said the dude I fly with most has apocs on his wing turrets (vidar I think?) and I was able to strip enough armor for oneshots with these  - but he does have avionic for main artillery damage buff as well. I didn't have opportunity to test the main artillery with either photors or pulsars (which I intended to use for that) because myself I don't have intrinsic to fire cannon myself yet, and we don't grab my boat with that friend I'm flying with. (I probably need more rj playing friends lol)

16 hours ago, Mr.Fluffins said:

Regarding Galvarc, it is a very close range beam weapon that has auto-aim and shoots 3 beams at once (so it can hit 3 enemies at once). It deals numerous ticks, and also gives them fire procs. I use galvarc with an ordnance damage boosting avionic, and combined with recent buff to fire procs (they deal damage faster now), galvarc is really good at clearing swarms of fighters that are right on you, especially when combined with Particle ram (plus nothing stops you from shooting your regular weapons at the same time, Galvarc keeps on firing for some time after one shot).

ah I see - does it care about the orientation of enemies in regards to your ship/aiming reticule? like does it pick viable targets from ones in front of ship, in front of whoever triggers it, or just does not care and pick 3 closest ones to the ship?

20 minutes ago, Elenortirie said:

ah I see - does it care about the orientation of enemies in regards to your ship/aiming reticule? like does it pick viable targets from ones in front of ship, in front of whoever triggers it, or just does not care and pick 3 closest ones to the ship?

It does care about it, but it has a very large area from where it picks targets from (I even saw it latching on interceptors on top of me). I also don't know how it works when used on the side turrets, since I mostly play solo. I suggest for you to craft the basic galvarc (the cheapest one) and give it a try on Earth nodes (preferably with the ordnance damage avionic) to see whether it's something you would want to use.

Edited by Mr.Fluffins

I usually stay well clear of the crew ships unless i get a message that someone is on the slingshot.

Running with forward zetki apocs that probably outdamage my cryophons while having better range. On the side turrets i run with a zetki carcinnox as after the heat change they are entirely usable and far more accurate than the vidar ones.

Void hole and particle ram are on there as well, tho the latter is mostly for the almost free bonus damage when fighters stray too close. And void hole for the usual reason of bunching enemies up for nuking with a torpedo as well as slowing them down and make them easy targets. Still need a better reactor to be able to stick a void cloak on there, but that's probably the next thing ill add, if i survive the reactor grind.