Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Yet Another Volt Rework

MalusCalibur

04/10/13 - Changed Overload, as it was too similar to World on Fire. It functions entirely differently now, and the melee speed increase was removed as it isn't really needed.

Volt being underpowered and seemingly forgotten is common knowledge, and the quanitty of 'rework' threads is already substantial. Nevertheless, I thought I might try my hand at his abilities, as follows:

Shock (25 energy)

Similar to how it operates now. However, it is now guaranteed to stun targets struck (both by the original target and any additional targets it arcs to) for 3/3/5/7 seconds. The damage remains the same: 75/100/125/200, and is affected by Focus.

All Shock really needs is for it's Stun effect to the primary focus of the ability, as right now it is not reliable enough. The damage, as with most '1' powers, is not really important.

Accelerated Shield (50 energy)

Volt channels electrical energy into his shields, improving his defensive capabilites.

Replacement for Speed. Grants Volt 5/5/10/15% additional shield (of the current value, not base) for the duration, and reduces the recharge delay for shield by 25/50/75/100%, for 5/6/8/10 seconds. Focus increases the temporary extra shield amount.

Volt is lacking in any real defensive ability (Electric Shield is too static), and this ability will serve that purpose. At maximum mod level, his shield will constantly be recharging, so unless he is under consistent fire, he will last a lot longer when in a dangerous scenario - by the same token, it does not allow him to tank everything, as sustained firepower will prevent shield from regenerating. It also has no effect on health damage.

Energise (75 energy)

Expends Volt's own power to grant energy to an ally.

Replacement for Electric Shield. Grants a targeted ally 30/30/40/50 energy. Focus does NOT affect this amount.

Simple, yes, but a way to allow Volt to be more of a team player (Speed's current iteration does a poor job of that), without being abusable; even with maxed Streamline, Volt will still spend more than the ally gains, thus preventing mutliple Volts chaining it endlessly to gain infinite energy. There are often occasions where an ally just needs that little bit more energy for a crucial ability, so I see this being an excellent support ability.

Overload (100 energy)

Volt overloads his body with electricity, turning him into a deadly living weapon.

Replaces the current Overload. It grants a speed increase of 10/15/25/50% (not affected by Focus). Any enemy that Volt contacts directly takes 500/600/750/1000 electric damage, and is immediately ragdolled. Additionally, small bolts of lightning arc from Volt to any enemies within 0.5/0.5/1/1.5 meters (that do not contact him directly - i.e. an enemy struck by the 'main' effect won't also be hit by a bolt), dealing 100/150/200/250 electric damage per second. The effect lasts for 5/6/8/10 seconds.

An overhaul for Overload to prevent it being quite as similar to other 'press 4, stuff in range dies' abilites, as well as incorporating the old Speed effect as it's characterful of Volt. The ability encourages the player to use Volt, and his speed, offensively - running into and through enemies, and scattering them out of his way!

Thoughts, constructive critisicms, and suggestions for improvement are all welcome. After all, Volt rather needs our help at the moment...

Edited by MalusCalibur

1) I agree with the Shock idea. It's fine in terms of damage, but the guaranteed stun would make it a very useful utility, especially since it chains.

2) Maybe make it work with all teammates? Similar to Rhino Roar?

3) I feel we should keep electric shield in some shape or form, but perhaps make the shield dynamic in that it follows whichever direction Volt is facing?

4) While there are clear similarities to World on Fire that may need to be worked out, I like the idea.

I use Volt frequently

1) Sounds good to me

2) This ability would be awesome if it was affecting the whole team instead of just Volt

3) Give another player 50 energy for 75 energy? I can't see anyone using this and as long as we can't see if another player is in need of energy, but even then it doesn't sound too useful.

I'd rather have electric shield improved... it's still his best ability if used in conjunction with shotguns or beam weapons.

4) Definitely sounds much better than what Overload is right now.

1) I agree with the Shock idea. It's fine in terms of damage, but the guaranteed stun would make it a very useful utility, especially since it chains.

2) Maybe make it work with all teammates? Similar to Rhino Roar?

3) I feel we should keep electric shield in some shape or form, but perhaps make the shield dynamic in that it follows whichever direction Volt is facing?

4) While there are clear similarities to World on Fire that may need to be worked out, I like the idea.

I use Volt frequently

1) Yes, that's exactly my thoughts. With the most recent 'fix' for Volt, I was under the impression that guaranteed stun had been given to Shock, but alas.

2) Tempting, certainly, though I was concerned it might be a touch overpowered that way?

3) Potentially, but I confess I'm not a huge fan of ES. Making it move with Volt, although a practical solution to the static problem, feels clunky.

4) Yes, you make a very valid point - I hadn't realised how similar to World on Fire it was when I conceived the idea, but have subsequently thought of an alternative exection to make it better:

Overload (100 energy)

Volt overloads his body with electricity, turning him into a deadly living weapon.

Replaces the current Overload. It grants a speed increase of 10/15/25/50% (not affected by Focus). Any enemy that Volt contacts directly takes 500/600/750/1000 electric damage, and is immediately ragdolled. Additionally, small bolts of lightning arc from Volt to any enemies within 0.5/0.5/1/1.5 meters (that do not contact him directly - i.e. an enemy struck by the 'main' effect won't also be hit by a bolt), dealing 100/150/200/250 electric damage per second. The effect lasts for 5/6/8/10 seconds.

The original post has now been edited to include this new idea.

I like your ideas OP. Wwhat I definitely do not agree with is the idea of replacing powers. I think it's fine for Warframes to have more than four abilities.

Thank you. I agree that frames should have a 'pool' of powers that they can pick four from, however, in light of that not yet being implemented (and with no immediate plans, that I'm aware of, to do so), I've stuck with the '4 per frame' model. Speed is included in my reimagined Overload in any case.

3) Give another player 50 energy for 75 energy? I can't see anyone using this and as long as we can't see if another player is in need of energy, but even then it doesn't sound too useful.

I'd rather have electric shield improved... it's still his best ability if used in conjunction with shotguns or beam weapons.

I realise it is a bit costly, but I had to bear in mind Streamline and the potential for exploiting the ability when allocating energy expenditure. Any less than 75 and it's possible for multiple Volts to chain the ability for infinite energy (as the other will gain more than they spend each time). It was a way to give Volt a 'team support' ability while also attempting to play into his theme a little (electricity=power=energy?). As mentioned above, I'm admittedly not a huge fan of Electric Shield and so prefer to create a new power rather than improve it. Is there a way Energise could be made worthwhile without becoming exploitable? As if not, I might go back to the drawing board for ability three.

Thank you for your feedback thus far, gentlemen. Please refer back to the original post for the latest update (to Overload).

Edited by MalusCalibur

1. Shock sounds good. Needs more reliable stun.

2. Sounds nice, something I personally would incorporate into speed instead of the melee buff. That also goves the team boosted shields amd removes the stupid melee buff, plus it would add to Volt's survival.

3. I don't think electric shield should be removed. Plus this sounds like a sub par support skill. If electric shield either moved with volt, OR was effected by stretch and shocked nearby enemies. Actually having a shield that shocked enemies and moved with you could be fun, turn volt into a battering ram with speed...

4. Almost the exact same concept I came up with a while ago other than mine was high damage to all targets in radius that slingshots enemies in a ragdoll fashion. Volt's ult should be able to utilise speed and shouldn't leave him trapped. +1.

Edited by TunaMayo

I realise it is a bit costly, but I had to bear in mind Streamline and the potential for explotiing the ability when allocating energy expenditure. Any less than 75 and it's possible for multiple Volts to chain the ability for infinite energy (as the other will gain more than they spend each time).

Well, Trinity already provides infinite energy, doesn't she? And for the whole team at that.

The Ability just needs to have a cooldown, but I still don't like it too much.

I disagree with suggestions. Speed is one of the most versatile powers, and very useful in Survival mode. Also rushers benefit greatly from it.

Incorporating it with Overload will not be possible for Volt to use his own speed buff, since he will be floating. Unless you are thinking in a Speed version where he runs overloading every electronics in his way. If this is the case, then the duration should be the same of current Speed power, and it will have the same damage and stun from Shock, since it will be more time active.

In the other hand, Shock need a damage buff and its stun should be increased to 100%. Stun should also have longer duration.

Electric Shield should not be removed, because of its combo with weapons, which is greatly useful and perhaps the best reason to use Volt. With it you can more than double Flux laser beam and Ignis flames range, broken Lanka can turn hitscan and you can use shotguns at a distance without damage reduction and every weapon turns electrical after passing the shield.

This Energize idea should be reserved to another warframe, maybe one more Zen-like. I think theres already some idea for a monk warframe in the foruns.

Edited by Wolfstorm18

I need World On Fire clones to leave the suggestion board.  Anything but that.

Also, unless Volt has higher armor or invincibility frames, or the skill function exactly like WoF to give universal coverage, he's still gonna get shot.

Edited by WondahBoah

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree with suggestions. Speed is one of the most versatile powers, and very useful in Survival mode. Also rushers benefit greatly from it.

Incorporating it with Overload will not be possible for Volt to use his own speed buff, since he will be floating. Unless you are thinking in a Speed version where he runs overloading every electronics in his way. If this is the case, then the duration should be the same of current Speed power, and it will have the same damage and stun from Shock, since it will be more time active.

In the other hand, Shock need a damage buff and its stun should be increased to 100%. Stun should also have longer duration.

Electric Shield should not be removed, because of its combo with weapons, which is greatly useful and perhaps the best reason to use Volt. With it you can more than double Flux laser beam and Ignis flames range, broken Lanka can turn hitscan and you can use shotguns at a distance without damage reduction and every weapon turns electrical after passing the shield.

This Energize idea should be reserved to another warframe, maybe one more Zen-like. I think theres already some idea for a monk warframe in the foruns.

While I, too, quite like the Speed power, it's a little underwhelming on its own and I felt it better folded into another power.

Overload in my rewrite has been entirely changed such that the 'floating in the air' part no longer exists, hence Volt can happily use the speed boost (and indeed needs to to get the most use out of it), and there is no interaction with in-level electronics.

The Electric Shield range boost strikes me as a bug, rather than a feature, and it's never sat very well with me. It's the only real use for the power in any case; it is a poor defensive choice given it's static nature and small size.

I need World On Fire clones to leave the suggestion board. Anything but that.

Also, unless Volt has higher armor or invincibility frames, or the skill function exactly like WoF to give universal coverage, he's still gonna get shot.

Overload is no longer a World on Fire clone given the new way it deals damage (it was more similar originally). And yes, Volt can still be shot while using it, but what's to stop him throwing out a Shock to stun the enemies he wants to hit, or activating Accelerated Shield to improve survivability during Overload?