Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Some Rivens Are Worth 5000p+

LoneWolveYoutube

I saw a relatively popular thread that was calling out the "riven mafia" and the overpriced riven market, and I wanted to give my opinion on the topic.  Before I get into everything I have to say, I want to make it clear that this is just my opinion and if you have a different one, I respect that.

Some Riven Mods are worth more than 5000p, but there are obviously people that will price average to god rolls far beyond their true value.  I am not talking about those rivens/people.  They are crazy lmao.

1. Basic Economic Principle: All items fall on a supply and demand curve.  Ammo case for example is very high supply and very low demand.  Ammo Case is worth less than 1p.  A 102.1 Status Chance, Multishot, Damage -Harmless Detron Riven is so incredibly rare that they have been sold for over 80k.  The demand is there and the supply is probably single to low double digit.

2. The rolls that are worth 5k+ are incredibly rare rolls.  There are people who ran the numbers and the chance of getting a "god" roll are crazy low.  And the chance of getting "the" roll with high grades is probably around or well over 1 in a million.  I could be wrong.  I haven't looked at any math on it in a long time.  But the point is that they're incredibly rare.

3.  There are people with hundreds of thousands of platinum (They are almost exclusively riven dealers).  Most of the rivens you see that are worth 10k+ aren't sold to the normal public.  They're sold to or between a small group of people.  It's the same thing as selling an island mansion or something.  They're not going to be sold to the normal public.  They're sold by millionaires, to millionaires.

tl;dr perfect rolls are rare and in high demand, therefore expensive.

"Why do you care how I spend my platinum?"
                                                           -dad

Edit: Something that I wanted to add.  I see riven prices as existing on a graph kinda like x^1.5.  The rarest rivens like an S grade, CC Multi Dmg -mag cap Vectis selling in the 100k+ range while an average CC Multi Damage -zoom Vectis sitting in the 4k range is a good example of this concept.

Edit 2: This is a quote from a reply.  "But, like be honest.  If you had a perfect boar, and since there are people who will easily pay in excess of 20k+ (on pc at least), why would you not post it for 20k and wait for one of them.  There's people like me who see a 20k perfect boar as a bargain.  On Console things are a little cheaper obviously but still.  If theres people who will pay you more why not sell to them.  And if you think theyre gullible then why does that matter.  You get 20k p and you're both happy. "

Edit 3: Thanks for the gold kind stranger.  (dead meme sry)

Edited by LoneWolveYoutube
  • Like 1

Just now, Aldain said:

Because there are people insane enough to spend that much on a single mod.

No amount of "You can't tell other people how to spend their money" can make a bit more than $200 worth of platinum a smart purchase.

Most dealers have earned the vast majority, if not all of their platinum from just playing and trading. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LoneWolveYT said:

I saw a relatively popular thread that was calling out the "riven mafia" and the overpriced riven market, and I wanted to give my opinion on the topic.  Before I get into everything I have to say, I want to make it clear that this is just my opinion and if you have a different one, I respect that.

Some Riven Mods are worth more than 5000p, but there are obviously people that will price average to god rolls far beyond their true value.  I am not talking about those rivens/people.  They are crazy lmao.

1. Basic Economic Principle: All items fall on a supply and demand curve.  Ammo case for example is very high supply and very low demand.  Ammo Case is worth less than 1p.  A 102.1 Status Chance, Multishot, Damage -Harmless Detron Riven is so incredibly rare that they have been sold for over 80k.  The demand is there and the supply is probably single to low double digit.

2. The rolls that are worth 5k+ are incredibly rare rolls.  There are people who ran the numbers and the chance of getting a "god" roll are crazy low.  And the chance of getting "the" roll with high grades is probably around or well over 1 in a million.  I could be wrong.  I haven't looked at any math on it in a long time.  But the point is that they're incredibly rare.

3.  There are people with hundreds of thousands of platinum (They are almost exclusively riven dealers).  Most of the rivens you see that are worth 10k+ aren't sold to the normal public.  They're sold to or between a small group of people.  It's the same thing as selling an island mansion or something.  They're not going to be sold to the normal public.  They're sold by millionaires, to millionaires.

tl;dr perfect rolls are rare and in high demand, therefore expensive.

"Why do you care how I spend my platinum?"
                                                           -dad

Lost of people have probably earned their platinum and never used real money, ah capitalism at its finest. XD

Sometimes the mod completely outweighs its price in terms of uniqueness, and Platinum can always be earned/bought to replenish a purchase. Riven Mods over 5,000 are likely one of a kind.

I enjoy finding "the" roll for my favorite weapons, and I have accomplished said goal. No amount of Platinum will part me with my treasures. Those mods you see in chat are quite the same. They are outrageous because less isn't worth it to the seller.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, LoneWolveYT said:

Some Riven Mods are worth more than 5000p,

That's your opinion.

My opinion is that spending hundres of bucks worth of plat on a riven for a weapon that DE is inevitably going to nerf into oblivion is a waste of money.

Like, if you spend 500 bucks on a new GPU, you get something out of it for years to come.

You spend 500 bucks on a mod and 2 days later it's rendered worthless thanks to DE.

• Like 4

vor 9 Minuten schrieb IceColdHawk:

Cuz minmaxing knows no limits.

Straight facts. Pay 10k plat for a Rubico riven to kill an eidolon 1s faster. 

Not a single riven, in my book, is ever worth more than 1k platinum. 1k platinum itself is already insane, this can get you an R3 Energize /Grace /Barrier, each of which being ten times the gamechanger that single riven might be.
I will never grow too old to tell the story of some dude I met who, as for the looks of it, seemed to be a successfull riven trade up to this point.
He charged 14k Platinum for a Rubico Riven. 14k Platinum. Do you know how much that is? That is 629.96 € (~$700) if you were to buy the plat without a discount. And even with a discount, that is still $175. 
"But nobody even buys platinum for real money, you idiot"
Somewhere that platinum you are trading must have originated from. Some person, somewhere must have paid real money for this platinum. Hence, yes, the comparisson to real money works.

Rivens prices are outragous at this point. Rivens are a complete disaster, they do the opposite of what their original intend was; Instead of boosting poorly performing weapons, only the rivens for already good weapons are in good trade.
Rivens. Were. A huge. Mistake.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Vespilan said:

He charged 14k Platinum for a Rubico Riven. 14k Platinum. Do you know how much that is? That is 629.96 € (~$700) if you were to buy the plat without a discount. And even with a discount, that is still $175. 

Back in the day, a perfect Rubico was worth far more than that.  Many of them have sold for over 20.

vor 1 Minute schrieb LoneWolveYT:

Many of them have sold for over 20

And that is straight up ridicolous. 20k Platinum is absolutely stupid. 
No one in their right mind or who has to work for their own money and isn't a millionaire by coincidence would pay that.

• Like 2

Just now, Vespilan said:

No one in their right mind or who has to work for their own money and isn't a millionaire by coincidence would pay that.

When you have all the rivens you want and a stockpile of plat.  The platinum loses a lot of it's value to you.  20k on a pog riven isn't something I, or many others, would have to think too hard about.

• Like 2

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Vespilan:

That's 7mio credits (14k * 500) to receive that much plat. Those guys must have a depressing life of farming Kuva and credits constantly. 

• Like 1

vor 4 Minuten schrieb LoneWolveYT:

When you have all the rivens you want and a stockpile of plat.  The platinum loses a lot of it's value to you.  20k on a pog riven isn't something I, or many others, would have to think too hard about.

Totally didn't make you sound ominous or anything...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Aldain said:

Because there are people insane enough to spend that much on a single mod.

No amount of "You can't tell other people how to spend their money" can make a bit more than $200 worth of platinum a smart purchase.

The problem is it's literally none of your business, and secondly it's still none of your business. Now you have people like Megadino that most definitely need to be slapped around the face and head for an infinite amount of time, but it isn't because they're buying said rivens, it's because he won't shut up about them on every market platform incessantly as a means to boost his apparently terrible self esteem.

If you see a riven for 8K in trade chat, and then an hour later the person is still selling rivens but not that riven, it's literally no concern of yours and of very little import to you. If DE mandates that riven trade is essentially unregulated and to be non-granular, that's the end of the discussion in objective terms. You can dislike it all you like, but once you've said "I dislike this", that's it, no amount subjective pseudo evidence will make your opinion better or more factual. The only people that complain are that don't like rivens to begin with or people that can't spend whatever the selling price is deemed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vespilan said:

Part of the reason they go for that price is due to them being rare and the other part is that few people are willing to even sell them in the first place. The supply is simply not there and the people with platinum can motivate the people with the rivens to sell.

Even though you despise that price, someone else will definitely interested and bought the riven. It’s like the super rich buys a lot of extremely expensive useless stuff even though it’s just a waste of money.

Just don’t think about it. It will make your head sick. 

• Like 1

If people want to waste plat on a percentage point, I’m not gonna stop em. I’ve certainly wasted enough of my own plat in this game. .

And anyway, it’s not like you can turn plat back into real money or anything.

However, it is extremely low-class to talk about your plat balance. So common.

Edited by Ham_Grenabe

At that point though, it’s sort of like the stock trade. Having a meta gun kitted out with a *gasp ooo aaahh* gOd R iVeN is absolutely a flex on both wealth and owned capital. 

Rivens are like owning capital. Especially because their quality changes with each disposition update. Sure, a small company might be doing well in the stocks, (an unpopular gun), but it’s no Google or Apple, (meta guns). Even though the overall price per share (per riven), might be insanely high, it’s value is pretty set on only being obtained by the rich and held by the rich. 

(Too bad Rivens don’t allow for growth like dividends on stock do.) 

But say you have a really good super “god tier” random riven a few months ago. You like it, and have put effort into getting an absolute monster of a roll. It gets primed! It gets buffed with insane inherent crit, which turns your weapon into disgusting damage numbers that are pretty much will rend normal content into hilarious overkill. 20mil crits without even breaking a sweat. A YouTuber/Streamer finds this out and tells everyone. Suddenly, its the meta. Your riven is worth an ungodly amount of plat. 

Is a good system? Not really. It’s just like capitalism. Selling random prime parts is like working an hourly wage. There’s no chance you can really make that much money that quickly. Big transactions like that are made either because you are already rich, or somehow stumbled into a winning lotto ticket. 

Is it an interesting system from an economical standpoint? Sure. 

should you eat the rich?

jack nicholson yes GIF

Edited by (XB1)TheRosenBones
  • Like 3

Its a free market.  Value depends on the views of the buyer and seller.

The most i have ever payed someone for an entire set of primed stuff is 160.  I will never pay any more then that for anything.  I as the potential buyer i can walk away and make the seller sweat.

The question is how badly does the seller want to sell something? Yhe potential buyer has more leverage and thus power.

44 minutes ago, Vespilan said:

Not a single riven, in my book, is ever worth more than 1k platinum.

I will snip the rest because it shares this opinion, but I just had to point out that Rivens rarely have a practicality like Energize or another item with a use. Rivens are mostly luxury and they can feel quite awesome with the right roll on the right weapon.

1k Platinum has been seriously devalued on PC over time with how inflated the market has become. If you take Rivens out of the picture, most in-game items are quite cheap. Now you throw Rivens and that 1k that could get Energizes, Prime Sets, and the like won't go that far in the Trading system for Rivens.

Rivens get ridiculous when the quality of Riven hits a point where it's one of a kind. Performance does have a factor in terms of what something sells for, but the jump from 5k to 20k hardly has a huge difference in DPS. Those perfect 3 stats with a negative, the unrolled trifecta, those things are what easily sell for insane amounts, and the buyer wants that feature in their inventory.

You can always get more Platinum, but you can't just get another Riven of the same quality that easily.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, (PS4)Kakurine2 said:

Its a free market.  Value depends on the views of the buyer and seller.

The most i have ever payed someone for an entire set of primed stuff is 160.  I will never pay any more then that for anything.  I as the potential buyer i can walk away and make the seller sweat.

The question is how badly does the seller want to sell something? Yhe potential buyer has more leverage and thus power.

Also of note, when thinking of different platforms for WF; think of plat like different national currencies. My own personal conversion is based on the high end prices

pc:  20k-50k
xbox: 2k-5k

not sure what PS4 would be, but I have heard that it’s even lower than Xbox, and I have no idea what the switch market even looks like. 

EDIT: As a free market, it’s pretty neat to think we gravitated towards a stock market type of currency exchange for rivens. We kind of did that to ourselves. We created the “riven mafia”, and continuing with the previous metaphor... capitalism and the rich are pretty much like the mafia, no? 

Edited by (XB1)TheRosenBones