Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Windows 7 End of Support Is today Jan 14 2020

Magnulast

How do you guys feel about this? I'm using windows 10, and I like it a lot. The fixed pretty much everything for me tbh, I'm just wondering about other players, since sometimes their setup won't change. In my point of view I find that windows 10 is much better than windows 7 with a SSD. and I don't want to start flame wars against me or you so I'll just keep it brief. I like windows 10, do not hate me.

If you do have questions, please do not "attack" question like say "Windows 10 is ugliest OS out there, your opinion sucks" I find that this is the quickest way to derail this conversation.

Keep it concise pls.

Relevance to Warframe: Just in general how you feel

Microsoft Edge Is replacing their EDGE HTML BROWSER with a CHROMIUM on the Jan 15th

Honestly, I find this to be a great change, but they nuked their epub features.

Edited by Magnulast
Warframe Disclaimer. MS EDGE CHROMIUM REPLACEMENT IMMENENT

Begrudgingly upgraded today. i like having dark windows and that's about it, had to turn off/ remove so much gunk. Thankfully i know people who are handy with code and they helped remove some more of the stubborn things and annoyances and get it looking more proper.

I like Microsoft's move of system unification by discontinuing technologically obsolete OS software, at some point we'll only have Windows 10 from the Windows system branch and a lot of the compatibility issues might go to the past. After all, many user configurations will be narrowed down to fewer systems. Less trouble, less repetitive troubleshooting to do.

Not interested in upgrading until i learn that windows 10 is not going to be a downgrade. Which till this day still sounds like it is. I doubt they care about the concerns of those of us who have held onto 7 this long though to bother.

I only use this PC for gaming so theres very low risk in the security stakes.

Technically Microsoft havent stopped support of 7 either. Thanks to the magic of the internet there are ways to get thier continued service updates.

still using windows 7 and im happy. I tried windows 10 and was a terrible experience to me....windows 10 is buggy, inconvenient (we cant shutdown our pc because windows 10 is dowloanding millions of uselles things), visually polluted and confusing.

Not changing to windows 10....i will stay with windows 7. I'll be on windows 7 until games ask for windows 10 ... until then I don't care. If I am forced to switch it will be for windows 8.1 ...

Been on W10 since 2015 and I love it a lot more than W7. I have no idea why so many people have had issues with it. Hardware, settings, drivers, installation type (Clean vs. migration), motherboard firmware, virus protection (And quarantined system files that have been lost), original valid license vs. cracked copy, they all play a role with regards to system stability and what can break, so it's not just the OS per se. This is also why I'm mostly puzzled when people mention WF crashing as it's such a rare occurrence for me I can count the occasions with one hand.

i7-4790K OC'd to 4.5 on all cores

Scythe Big Shuriken 3

16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1866

Asus Z87i-Deluxe

GTX 1070

Windows 10 64-bit (Activated)

Edited by Jarriaga

Doesn't matter to me whether it's getting updates or not. Without getting updates, I run the risk of being hit with an unpatched vulnerability... which will need to get through my router, firewall, AV software, NoScript and RequestPolicy on Firefox and very paranoid browser habits built up over 15 years of net usage, into a Windows installation which is already pretty locked down (eg. I'm completely immune to the remote desktop service vulnerability a few months ago because I nuked the crap out of that service the moment I installed the OS).

If I'm faced with that, my response will not be "#*!% it, let's deliberately infect my system and save myself the trouble". Win10 is malware, make no mistake about it.

For reference, I'm using Win8.1 right now, but I would have absolutely zero qualms about going back to Win7 (and have seriously considered it, due to driver issues).

Win10 would be more tolerable if it didn't forcibly install all the useless garbage such as the Store. Or at least had an easy and reliable way to get rid of unwanted stuff later, right now you have fiddle with Powershell and Regedit and even then Windows may decide to reinstall some crapware without your permission. That's borderline malware behavior.

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, CarrotSalad said:

Not interested in upgrading until i learn that windows 10 is not going to be a downgrade. Which till this day still sounds like it is. I doubt they care about the concerns of those of us who have held onto 7 this long though to bother.

I only use this PC for gaming so theres very low risk in the security stakes.

Technically Microsoft havent stopped support of 7 either. Thanks to the magic of the internet there are ways to get thier continued service updates.

They kinda stopped it, I know they have paid support packages, and the support is more of "emergencies" and the antivirus updates...but if you prefer windows 7 I won't stop you, I honestly I find the new updates significantly upgraded the performance and stability of windows 10. I'm waiting for 20H1 to drop, because the build 1909 was focused specially on bug fixes and performance. I can see why people see the other features as spyware, but I take it seriously and modify the settings in privacy for it.

I also find that gaming, on windows 7 may die out, but that will be for a while, since Directx12 still isn't used in everything yet, like warframe obviously, but it will probably be in around 3 years maybe.

Following the end of its extended support period, ESUs will be available to all Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise customers with volume licensing through January 2023. Microsoft is charging on a per-device basis, with Windows 7 Pro users paying more than Windows 7 Enterprise customers—the company aims to move more businesses onto the latter platform.

From https://www.techspot.com/news/78629-microsoft-reveals-how-much-windows-7-extended-support.html

Thanks for your input.

5 hours ago, Pr1A said:

Win10 would be more tolerable if it didn't forcibly install all the useless garbage such as the Store. Or at least had an easy and reliable way to get rid of unwanted stuff later, right now you have fiddle with Powershell and Regedit and even then Windows may decide to reinstall some crapware without your permission. That's borderline malware behavior.

I mean, the store isn't entirely useless, it's actually used for updating most built-in apps, in which you can uninstall them now(Forgot the list of uninstallable apps). There are some good things in the store, such as QuickLook https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NV4BS3L1H4S or https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NBLGGH4PNC7 Game controller tester.

Though I can see why most people consider it bloatware, however I just disagree on the reinstall some crapware, that just doesn't hold true for me atleast. I haven't seen a single app get reinstalled for me without my permission.

For example when setting up windows 10 it installs the base app, then through the Microsoft Store, it updates those apps, you can unpin all those games, and they won't download. As for other crapware, you can uninstall most of them and use VLC instead of Movies and TV.

Just elaborate for the Windows 10 Without permission part, it's something said but isn't explained at all.

• 1 month later...

to be fair, i m sad and abit upset support for 7 officially ended. the thing that really annoys me with 10 is that i got force upgraded to it and since then no matter what i ve done or tried (reinstall drivers, changed LAN cables, flushed dns, released renewed IP, disaibled fire wall, completely reinstalled to 10 directly...) you name it i ve likely already tried it and just had no end to connectivity issues in game as getting randomly loged out useally in the middle on a mission making me loose all my loot/progress. and its not just wf, i m having issues loading just simple web pages....

I won't begrudge someone preferring one platform or version over another as I see it as a personal choice and we are all different in that regard.

I never upgraded past Win 7. Turned off updates after they borked it with their push to get people to upgrade to 10.

I have my own beef with microsoft so them not providing support is the least of my worries.

All I have to do now is just ride it out and when my computer finally goes dead I suppose its time to get off the grid and head to alaska.

i liked windows 95. there was a lot of fun with pop ups like "you moved your mouse. windows needs restart".

at work i used win 10 - nearly same as windows 7. but U HAVE TO UPDATE IT all the time. with bad connection its is huge problem.

so i will still use win 7. i have zero troubles so far and have 2 ssd.

5 hours ago, Battle.Mage said:

i liked windows 95. there was a lot of fun with pop ups like "you moved your mouse. windows needs restart".

at work i used win 10 - nearly same as windows 7. but U HAVE TO UPDATE IT all the time. with bad connection its is huge problem.

so i will still use win 7. i have zero troubles so far and have 2 ssd.

oh i remember w95 osr1 well when it was the new thing. barely installed it and it was already doing kernel32.dll errors before i even got to install any drivers... that was fun times ^^!

anyways... back to the 10 topic sure it has some good things but with all the issues and options available but it seriously feels like a downgrade from 7 (trying hard not to bash 10... )

On 2020-02-28 at 11:25 AM, LKG01A_Duke said:

oh i remember w95 osr1 well when it was the new thing. barely installed it and it was already doing kernel32.dll errors before i even got to install any drivers... that was fun times ^^!

anyways... back to the 10 topic sure it has some good things but with all the issues and options available but it seriously feels like a downgrade from 7 (trying hard not to bash 10... )

I guess it could feel like it, it significantly depends on what feature update you are on. The options regarding windows 7 to windows 10..is more like it being displaced.