Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Clan website

(XBOX)ERICK001BC

Question

Hello fellow Tenno.

I have had this clan for 15+ years and it originally was created back when I used to play a game called Gunz the Duel. But this clan I started from the ground up and have brought with me to every game I play. The problem is Ii used to have a website (still hold rights on the domain.) But the website host is gone forever. I have been trying to find "free" websites that let me build my clan website and just add the domain. I gave wix a try but I am having problems finding a forum template. I was able to back catalog everything before the site went offline but now I am left at square one. I know a lot of clans today use discord and I opened my channel on it as well but it is not the same as having a full access website with forum similar to how warframe has this one. As this is a clan website it is used for more than warframe, though warframe is the biggest clan game atm. I remember my alliance also used a free hosting website but I rather not pay more than I have to considering I pay for my domain. The website is used for mostly clan activities but I choose to leave it as a forum for friends, anime, etc. Is there anything out there that other clans recommend work best for you and is not too much. I don't mind paying a bit but If I can avoid it that would be nice. I just want the ability to have my forum and link my domain. I did like wix website builder editor but didn't like the hidden fees. (was suppose dot be only $5 a month to link domain, but they don't allow you to unless you buy a premium package $13 a month, not to mention I couldn't find a forum layout.). I think my old alliance used to use Wordpress but I am not sure.

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated. I just started growing my warframe clan again thanks to rail jack and want my clan members to have every convenience I can give them. 

9 answers to this question

2 hours ago, (XB1)ERICK001BC said:

Hello fellow Tenno.

I have had this clan for 15+ years and it originally was created back when I used to play a game called Gunz the Duel. But this clan I started from the ground up and have brought with me to every game I play. The problem is Ii used to have a website (still hold rights on the domain.) But the website host is gone forever. I have been trying to find "free" websites that let me build my clan website and just add the domain. I gave wix a try but I am having problems finding a forum template. I was able to back catalog everything before the site went offline but now I am left at square one. I know a lot of clans today use discord and I opened my channel on it as well but it is not the same as having a full access website with forum similar to how warframe has this one. As this is a clan website it is used for more than warframe, though warframe is the biggest clan game atm. I remember my alliance also used a free hosting website but I rather not pay more than I have to considering I pay for my domain. The website is used for mostly clan activities but I choose to leave it as a forum for friends, anime, etc. Is there anything out there that other clans recommend work best for you and is not too much. I don't mind paying a bit but If I can avoid it that would be nice. I just want the ability to have my forum and link my domain. I did like wix website builder editor but didn't like the hidden fees. (was suppose dot be only $5 a month to link domain, but they don't allow you to unless you buy a premium package $13 a month, not to mention I couldn't find a forum layout.). I think my old alliance used to use Wordpress but I am not sure.

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated. I just started growing my warframe clan again thanks to rail jack and want my clan members to have every convenience I can give them. 

If you're just looking for a totally free option, give these a look:

https://hosting.review/web-hosting/best-free-forum-hosting/

other than that there are plenty of hosting providers that do 'budget' Wordpress hosting, and you might even be able to transfer your domain into one, as they sometimes do good deals when they host your domain as well.

As I go down through these, I think it might be best if I actually show that these are not truly "free." It may say that in the description as letting you link your domain for free, but you have to actually pay for that. 

Wix- Not free, about $13-$25 a month

Forumotion- Not free, units converted to credits, 300 credits looks about $20 monthly. (Also very annoying to deactivate account.)

I will continue to keep searching

Edited by (XB1)ERICK001BC
Typo

Yeah none of the other ones are free as well. They all let you start up free but then the cost come down.

I was originally paying close to $100 yearly for my website with forum and it was linked already to my domain. This also included unlimited bandwidth and http safe certificate authorization.

The problem is that I already have my domain for any website I create it will have to be a subscription to link it. I can understand this and don't mind paying as long as it is reasonable.

For example, Both wix and forumotion have very nice friendly for coding websites. They both allow proper coding and website management. I like how old school the forumotion website is for making a forum, and I just found out how to add a forum to wix making it a lot more desirable. The problem is with wix the hidden fees tally up. For example, The feature to just link a domain no longer exist for $5 a month and exist at $15 a month after the first free year with a subscription plan. The cheapest subscription plan $13 would give me the domain link for a year, but where it loses is in bandwidth. This means if more than 20 people are on the website at one even just visiting it will crash and run out of bandwidth for the month. Not good for forums. The unlimited would be $17 a month but after the first year $204, with the domain being $180 for the year my payment will be $384 (tax pushing it to $400 yearly.) 

This is not even taking consideration how much I pay for my domain.

I know there are very good options out there, I don't think that price scaling has jumped this much in the time 

So my question again is, are there any clan leaders out there that can recommend a good website/hosting/forum that they currently are using and about how much they pay yearly to maintain, keep it running? 

Thank you.

You posted in the wrong section. Though I am sure I have extra's from running relics I could give you. XBOX gamertag same as username here. But I am currently at work and wont be back on till another 6 hours. It is a very common mod and am sure if you don't want to wait you could get it for free in trade chat. The main reason is that there is a primed version that Baro sells. My best advice is keep doing relics to get parts, and trade those prime parts for ducats so you can pick up primed version when it comes out. This way you may also get mod to drop, maybe while running nekros. Again. if you don't mind waiting hit me up. 

42 minutes ago, (XB1)ERICK001BC said:

My old Alliance used wordpress, but I found it a little cumbersome,I also thought you initially had to buy a domain from them, and then you where able to redirect. I may have to look into it again.

You're likely able to set up a redirect through where you've registered a domain, which has nothing to do with wordpress or where ever else you end up having the site hosted. So no purchase needed in that case.

There's also tons of Wordpress tutorials out there to help you with almost anything you want to get done.