Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nvidia Physx

Sunder

Now I myself used to run a GTX 460 1GB and it was decent for a time, however last year I upgraded to a 7950 3GB and have loved it ever since. I've been watching trailers and videos of Warframe that people have posted and even though I'm running on max settings their games always looked more polished than mine..I didn't really care that much since I was having fun but today I just looked it up and found it to be due to PhysX. 

Now I know it's somehow possible to dedicate an Nvidia card purely for PhysX but would that work when the main card isn't Nvidia? I still have my old 460 and would love to play Warframe with all the pretty effects :3

(If this is in the wrong section I apologize, wasn't sure where to put this really)

as far as i know you can run physX without a nvidia card but it will be very cpu heavy so i wouldnt use it if you do have a bad processor

Not in Warframe.

And what OP is referring to is Hybrid PhysX. I know it CAN work, but I also know it takes a bit of work and a lot of luck to get it to work.

There are patches for the NVIDIA drivers that will prevent hardware PhysX acceleration from being disabled, even if an AMD GPU is detected.

However, Warframe seems to have it's own check, and I am not certain if this has been bypassed yet. I know that the PhysX setting can be forced enabled in the config file even if it's greyed out in game, but I don't have a mixed AMD/NVIDIA GPU setup to test it on atm, and have no real desire to pull an NVIDIA GPU out of one of my other systems and slap it in my primary, just to find out.

Get New video card of Nvidia GeForce series preferably 600 and higher. I am using 640M 2GB on my laptop and can run it with PhysicsX but need to turn off tone of thing and have only color correction,Dynamic Lighting, High Dynamic range and Anti-Aliasing running only. Also try getting Nvidia experience from there website it might help a lot us well. 

I feel as though DE gonna have to do something eventually about the PhysX stuff since PS4 IS gonna be running off of AMD hardware rather than Nvidia. Furthermore Nvidia stated their PhysX effects will be present on the PS4 release.

Not sure who I should be trying to get answers from here now on this matter XD

Edited by Smac

I feel as though DE gonna have to do something eventually about the PhysX stuff since PS4 IS gonna be running off of AMD hardware rather than Nvidia. Furthermore Nvidia stated their PhysX effects will be present on the PS4 release.

Not sure who I should be trying to get answers from here now on this matter XD

I can clarify some things for you. Yes, the PS4 is running a CPU/GPU designed by AMD, however the Nvidia PhysX effects on the PS4 will be a modified version of the Software PhysX (the kind that runs on the CPU). While it may appear like the Hwardware Accelerated PhysX on Nvidia GPUs, it will actually be a very watered down version, with way less particles because the AMD CPU/GPU architecture wasn't designed (due to patents held by Nvidia) to be able to perform the same hardware instructions as Nvidia's CUDA cores or stream multiprocessors.

Essentially the PhysX on the PS4 is a modified variant of CPU PhysX. Because the Playstation 4 is a gaming console, it isn't bogged down by numerous background processes and applications like a PC's operating system, as such it has just that much extra resources to grant for the processing of PhysX software.

While it should be possible to implement higher quality CPU PhysX on PC by Digital Extremes and Nvidia, it simply cannot come anywhere close to the number of particles and advanced effects that the GPU PhysX can display. If you tried to display the GPU level of PhysX on the CPU, you'd probably make your CPU explode and overheat.

Think of it this way: the CPU is a "Jack of all trades, master of none" while Nvidia GPUs were designed to be the master of ultra high speed simultaneous calculations of floating point and double numbers. CPUs can do floating point and double calculations, but compared to a GPU they can't even put up a fight. PhysX relies on such calculations.

^I'm going with honeybadger on this one, any chance for an explanation of what the differences are?

And does this mean AMD users are simply being shafted when it comes to the pretty effects? =[

I'm not technical enough but you might also try asking on the NVIDIA forums on how to dedicate a card to PhysX.

From what I've looked up a few people have attempted the "Hybrid PhysX" and while I saw very few actually claiming they got it to work, most people said Warframe has their own sort of check that doesn't let you enable it or something. Kind of a shame...I can run the game full settings with no problems at all but to get some of the nicer effects I HAVE to have a specific brand of GPU or jump through hoops that aren't guarenteed to work =/

Game's still fun and all but it is a bit disheartening to see DE cast aside so many people as a result of Nvidia's Patents and restrictions =[

For those wondering what the difference is? Take a look for yourself on what you're missing out on..

Edited by Smac

Could you provide the distinction between PhysX and APEX? Thanks.

PhysX is the physics engine that compute the physical simulation of rigid bodies, of cloth and particles

Apex is a framework on top of PhysX that contains several plugins ( see http://physxinfo.com/wiki/Category:APEX ) that work upon PhysX. 

Both PhysX and Apex have GPU acceleration.

Essentially the PhysX on the PS4 is a modified variant of CPU PhysX. Because the Playstation 4 is a gaming console, it isn't bogged down by numerous background processes and applications like a PC's operating system, as such it has just that much extra resources to grant for the processing of PhysX software.

This is incorrect.

While it is true there is less overhead on a gaming console, no reducition in overhead can overcome the fact that modern CPUs in desktop PCs are vastly more powerful than the low-power Jaguar part in the PS4. AMD's Jaguar essentially a tablet processor; it competes with Intel's Atoms, and despite having eight cores, it has much less total performance than most any recent desktop quad core and less than many dual-core parts. It's performance per watt is competitive, but Jaguar parts fill the 5-25 watt segment, where most desktop parts are in the 45-130w segments.

Whatever PhysX effects PS4 is capable of, a mid-range gaming PC has the resources for much more, even after any (overstated) overhead.

Now, due to licensing issues, it's quite probable that PS4 will have superior PhysX effects than what will be shown on the PC version of Warframe, absent NVIDIA hardware, but this is not due to any sort of performance advantage on the console.

If you tried to display the GPU level of PhysX on the CPU, you'd probably make your CPU explode and overheat.

Also incorrect. Worst case scenario, you simply have insufficent performance.

No CPU clocked and cooled to specification, that is not defective, is going to be damaged by any code it is capable of executing at any time during it's designed lifespan.

So with all this information brought to light I suppose my question from earlier still stands

"Does this mean AMD users are simply being shafted when it comes to the pretty effects?"

It's starting to become ridiculous stating the same exact thing over every Physx thread popping up, search function helps.

AMD GPU's can not run GPU accelerated PhysX. Warframe uses GPU accelerated PhysX. AMD GPU's can not get PhysX in Warframe.

So with all this information brought to light I suppose my question from earlier still stands

"Does this mean AMD users are simply being shafted when it comes to the pretty effects?"

What do you mean by "simply being shafted"?

Would it be possible for the same kind of effects to exist for non-NVIDIA users with comparable IQ and performance? Absolutely.

Is this practical in the case of Warframe? No.

Why not? Because Warframe's entire physics/particle middleware is proprietary NVIDIA technology (PhysX/APEX). Use this technology (and NVIDIA likely gives considerable incentive to do so) and you need to play by NVIDIA's rules, which dictate that the best effects be reserved for their hardware.

^I'm going with honeybadger on this one, any chance for an explanation of what the differences are?

And does this mean AMD users are simply being shafted when it comes to the pretty effects? =[

From what I've looked up a few people have attempted the "Hybrid PhysX" and while I saw very few actually claiming they got it to work, most people said Warframe has their own sort of check that doesn't let you enable it or something. Kind of a shame...I can run the game full settings with no problems at all but to get some of the nicer effects I HAVE to have a specific brand of GPU or jump through hoops that aren't guarenteed to work =/

Game's still fun and all but it is a bit disheartening to see DE cast aside so many people as a result of Nvidia's Patents and restrictions =[

For those wondering what the difference is? Take a look for yourself on what you're missing out on..

That looks like a bunch of visual junk that would get in the way.

but whatever, eye-candy whoring is a thing I suppose. :P

Well PhysX isn't the only way to achieve those types of effects and particles. They may not have the same build as Nvidia cards but I'm sure they're capable of running some other type to get a similar end result.

Regardless I DO still have my old GTX 460 and perhaps will give "Hybrid PhysX" a go one of these days and see if I can get it working.

Sucks for everyone else who uses AMD though and misses out on the pretty lights and particles.. =/