Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Open feedback: Focus System

Enialyx

I've done a "redesign" of the focus system previously; the gist of it being I want to see more mechanics with focus, better flow for the operator and more viability in situations like Eidolons and rewards for completion. Equally, it should offer a paragon style system to prevent being invalidated after a while.

Here's hoping Duviri will be the place we see some Focus/operator progression.

My issue with the current Focus system:

• It doesn't actually make Operators capable fighters.
  • It's just another Affinity farm that naturally lends itself to loot cave scenarios.
  • There is literally no point to having Lenses for different schools other than more grinding; changing lens school does not change the grind.
  • In general, Operators still feel largely disconnected from regular gameplay outside of a few scenarios in which they're shoehorned, namely Sentient combat.

I think the big question that the past two and a half Focus systems have failed to answer is: what is the point of Operator Mode? From a lore perspective, they're essential, and key to pretty much every quest after The Second Dream, but in terms of gameplay it still doesn't feel like they have any real purpose. As such, Operators still feel like one of the many systems Warframe added to itself for no reason other than to produce more content. I think there are plenty of ways Focus itself could be reworked, namely by making lenses grant universal Focus to be spent on any school, or even scrapping the school system and coming up with more modular powers to equip onto the Operator, but because all of this is conditional upon a system I think may need another overhaul, I don't think any concrete change can be proposed without also setting a definite identity and gameplay role for Operator Mode first.

As for what Operator Mode should do... I honestly don't know. I'd say the closest thing that comes to mind would be to make it the jack-of-all-trades to our hyper-specialized warframes, and give it lots of complementary mechanics that make both halves of the Tenno work in tandem, but even then... do we really need to control an additional character? What would happen if Operators only came out during specific plot moments?

42 minutes ago, Teridax68 said:

do we really need to control an additional character? What would happen if Operators only came out during specific plot moments?

Regarding the "jack of all trades", it has the added problem that not all Warframes are really that specialized. Wukong can perform well in just about every mission. Equinox is quite versatile too, though not to the same degree. Other Warframes have gaps, but it ranges from "bad at stealth" (Saryn) to "bad at room clearing" (Ivara). So what mechanics could one even give Operators that complement Warframes in a reliable way?

Personally I've wondered if the entire Operator gimmick could be replaced with a "void supercharge" of Warframes, where Warframes gain the Operator's current abilities tacked onto their regular equipment (melee attacks trigger void blasts, amps boost weapon damage and stats, void mode triggers on top of sliding / crouching, players can void dash after bullet jumping, extra health and armour - that sort of thing). Then again, I'm also the kind of person who would play an operator if they moved as smoothly as a Warframe and had a Warframe's weapons.

1 hour ago, Tyreaus said:

Regarding the "jack of all trades", it has the added problem that not all Warframes are really that specialized. Wukong can perform well in just about every mission. Equinox is quite versatile too, though not to the same degree. Other Warframes have gaps, but it ranges from "bad at stealth" (Saryn) to "bad at room clearing" (Ivara). So what mechanics could one even give Operators that complement Warframes in a reliable way?

Personally I've wondered if the entire Operator gimmick could be replaced with a "void supercharge" of Warframes, where Warframes gain the Operator's current abilities tacked onto their regular equipment (melee attacks trigger void blasts, amps boost weapon damage and stats, void mode triggers on top of sliding / crouching, players can void dash after bullet jumping, extra health and armour - that sort of thing). Then again, I'm also the kind of person who would play an operator if they moved as smoothly as a Warframe and had a Warframe's weapons.

Exactly, part of the issue here is that warframes in general are being designed to be more versatile and self-sufficient, which on its own is a good thing (provided the frame still gets to play with their team), but also just makes Operators all the more redundant. Another entirely separate issue with the system is that it takes up a serious amount of console real estate, where every additional button input has a major cost in complexity (look already at how the standard button setup is constraining alt-fires on guns), such that there's this serious expectation for Operator mode to justify itself, which it never has. Having Operators contextually assist their warframes without requiring an additional button press could certainly be an option in this case, and would solve a lot of the issue with making Operators viable on their own by removing that requirement entirely.

20 hours ago, (XB1)Furious Kaiser said:

I wouldn't say get rid of them, but tweak their spawn system to NOT flipping spawn near the end of waves/objectives/wherever they are useless lol.. that sh*t is pretty annoying, not gonna lie.

They should honestly just make it a buff that can proc(namely just straight up has a gauge that builds up as you kill stuff with a greatly chance to start on stealth kills or killing multiple enemies fast) with a cooldown after each instance(since obviously map nukers could abuse it to keep it perpetually up if not tuned right), easy way to resolve. Just have a count down and adrenaline boost to act as the prompt when it gets close and its triggering, since just like with enemy spawn patterns, that orb can decide it just wants to spawn 100+ meters away for some weird fking reason or in a spot i already pasted quite a while ago, cause of weird spawning algorithms.

Completely agree with you on the lens treatment.

I will always repeat it, but focus lenses need to take 1 of thru pathways to improvement:

1. Get rid of the lens system and just let us passively gain a general pool. Make things simple, means things are not a ridiculous mess to deal with.
  2. Improve things to allow us to either remove lenses without some ridiculous cost and/or allow us to either upgrade focus lenses while they are on gear and/or More manageable ways to handle upgrading lenses. We should just be allowed to start from the base focus lense and decide if we want to make it into greater, Eidolon or Lua, Throw in some ducat, or kuva or something resource cost to balance it out. But anyone can agree the successive system is just b.s.
  3. Revamp afffinity gain rates to something simple. If we gain 100 EXP for killing something, then everything we had equipped gains 100 EXP, none of this split up ratio b.s. anymore, because it just makes warframes, pets and having multiple things equipped more tedious on grinding. Just like with point one, Less complicated hassle in the system equals easier to handle things in general.

Granted it would be nice if two of those were adopted, namely the 3rd with either 1 or 2. But this is mainly me just speaking on how HUGE the grind was for the focus grinding and the most i got from it was making my operator atleast kind of be as durable as a standard vanilla warframe, where i had to bring in the armor & health arcanes to make it more then that, Anything else was either tedious stuff or Zenurik. Which i do not even use any other trees besides Zenurik & Vazarin in regular gameplay, since i do not do eidolon hunting anymore to justify me using Madurai or Unairu at all these days.

Edited by Avienas

6 minutes ago, Teridax68 said:

Another entirely separate issue with the system is that it takes up a serious amount of console real estate, where every additional button input has a major cost in complexity (look already at how the standard button setup is constraining alt-fires on guns), such that there's this serious expectation for Operator mode to justify itself, which it never has. Having Operators contextually assist their warframes without requiring an additional button press could certainly be an option in this case, and would solve a lot of the issue with making Operators viable on their own by removing that requirement entirely.

To be fair regarding the controller issue, there are some tricks to extend controller input limits, not all of which have been utilized. E.g., taps and holds: we don't hold the "use" key for any purpose, so that could be an input in itself, whatever we might use that for.

That said, I do see what you mean about Op mode not justifying itself terribly well. Most of things Operators tend to be used for can likely be replaced with gameplay contexts. For example, void dashing could just be bullet jumps after performing an initial bullet jump (i.e. spam crouch + jump to void dash). Heavy attacks can replace void blasts. Crouching from a standstill can activate void mode. Much of it is doable, and that's just copy-pasting those elements over to save a keybind.

The major problem is that DE has kind of painted itself into a corner with TWW and Eidolons and the like—the things where we need to keep the operator out, mostly for amp stuff. How might one create a no-button context for using amps against Eidolon or Orb shields? I'm not sure. It's entirely possible to remove amps entirely, but that's a hefty undertaking unto itself and kind of spits in the faces of those who have put the materials toward their amps...

• Like 1

This is kind of why i kept leaning to the idea of the focus school should grant more passive effects, instead of these useless skills that are SUPPOSE to be damage skills for the operator, but since they are just raw damage sticks, serve no real purpose that a Tigris in some enemy`s face does a better job doing. Though in terms of operator an easy way to have it work would be completely UNIQUE ways to utilize thar abilities while being something completely different in terms of impact/aestics vs warframes.

Some fun examples being:

1. Ability to have the operator `launch` from the warframe as a high-speed void dash which could create some kind of debuff zone or do a empowered armor/shield strip or slow C.C. which could be good for dealing with a bunch of mobs and after the dash`s end (or you could end it early via transference) you would immediately go back to your warframe to allow you to turn around and shoot those debuffed enemies.
  2. A special state where you would float around as the operator with void power like propulsion (think Infamous Second Son or Hildryn`s 4th) and you can do something like toss grenades that could black hole enemies and/or put them in a semi void stasis lock. Reason i said C.C. grenades is cause i am trying to avoid direct DPS measures with the operator and have it more aim towards powerful C.C. measures.
  3. Have the operator able to slam into the ground to create a bubble that could provide drastic damage reduction to all allies within it (would not block shots like frost`s bubble can), plus maybe throw in letting you ignore debuff measures, at the very least Knock down, tether grabs and maybe debuffs that would cause DoT damage or so.
  4. Have the operator able to straight up jump into a enemy, have them run around flailing madly and attacking other enemies and would just keel over from the mess, instead of instantly attacking you again like a regular radiation proc. That or just let you apply something like that with void blast. Honestly, im kind of running out of a few ideas since these are only off the top of my head.

Basically stuff that does NOT apply damage at all and instead would be helpful buffs or debuffs that can be helpful in various content. Thats kind of why Zenurik is so OP since energy pulse and Energizing dash do that, very simple effects that help in many kinds of content.

I would honestly call it Add-ons or Installment type abilities, which is just honestly remind me d.e. chattered about a RAGE mode for melee, but clearly thats the last thing we need to concern ourselves about. You can refer to my 4 points above as how i would like the operator to be more utilized as a extended C.C. functionality in terms of what they can do, instead of trying to compete in the DPS game.

Since its not like we have any regular game mode gameplay that could have us get out of operator to go thru some kind of small ventilation shafts to sneak past a corridor with alarms that if we were to trip would prevent us from progressing or something along those lines.

Again, this is kind of where i would hope they would fix alot of things, but clearly will not happen unless they REALLY want to surprise us by showing off some serious capability to improve warframe.

On 2020-01-15 at 8:48 PM, Steel_Rook said:

Reduce all Focus costs down to 10% of their current values but also reduce the daily Focus cap and the Focus gained from Shards down to 10% as well. This ensures roughly the same Focus progression per day, just in a manner achievable through means other than grinding Sanctuary Onslaught. Like playing the sodding game. Currently, SO/ESO Affinity/Focus gains are entirely out-of-scale with the rest of the game and Focus progression seems to be balanced around playing those modes. Consequently, doing anything else offers negligible Focus progression. I want to see a rebalance.

Why? It works fine as is, it just has bigger numbers - which look cooler imo.

On 2020-01-15 at 3:00 AM, MysticDragonMage said:

Zenurik is the best school by default because of the seemingly infinite energy it provides to the entire squad. energy and warframe abilities are responsible for giving us more damage, support, control, and damage resistance than any of the 4 other schools can provide, so why not choose Zenurik?

i think every school should have some form of energy regeneration branch and Zenurik should be a school focused entirely on controlling, managing, and mixing status elements.

Disagree, if you were correct then Madurai wouldn’t be a popular tree to pick as well.

Energy should strictly be Zenurik, I believe  each tree should excel in one thing, and one only. 
The problem with the other trees, it’s that they are weak. They can be replaced by warframe abilities (as can Zenurik) but the thing us Zenurik is actually in a good place valence wise. The other schools lack that power needed to mage them worthwhile. Instead of giving everyone I ate energy gain, make them better at thier roles. 

9 minutes ago, (XB1)DA ZACHYZACHY said:

Energy should strictly be Zenurik

Then people will never take it off. Every school needs a way to gain Warframe energy based on the school’s playstyle (Melee kills for Naramon, Headshots for Madurai, etc). Why Zenurik Energising Dash is so good is because it has a very huge impact to standard gameplay over all school nodes. Who wouldn’t want to have free energy?

If you really want to make it Zenurik exclusive, Nerf it. But that’s a good way to start a community riot am I right?

Focus farming is honestly something that appeals to me in absolutely no way.

The only way I even have what I have unlocked is because of passive gameplay, anyone actively capping their focus is either a completionist or absolutely bat-clem- insane.

The sheer time investment for even waybounds is irritating, and while I am aware that Eidolon farming also gives focus through shards it just isn't something that is worth it to me.

The obtuse amount of effort to make Operators strong just doesn't seem worth it to me, not when 90% of operator usage is "Energy bubble and return" spam with the remaining 10% being that one ability that roots enemies.

There are a few frames that can and will hit the daily limit every time by cheesing ESO games.
There are all the other frames, that aren't even gonna get remotely close to this.

Increase the focus gains to where the worst performing frames for ESO can obtain a relative level of success toward standing.
Yes, this would ruin the long term progression of the focus skill tree. ...But it's already ruined.. so let's just make it so we don't need to be cheesy.

Take the average time spent and affinity gains for players in game, and balance focus gain daily limit to that average.
It's either that, or we just keep using Mirage and Saryn.. then those get nerfed.. THEN they raise up focus gains. Let's skip the nerf step and just crack it open.

Edited by kapn655321

On 2020-01-21 at 5:52 AM, (XB1)DA ZACHYZACHY said:

Why? It works fine as is, it just has bigger numbers - which look cooler imo.

Because it means we can hit the cap with a lot less grinding, which in turn means we can gain meaningful Focus progression without grinding ESO 'till the cows come home. 300K Focus per day requires some serious farming outside of ESO, 30K Focus with the same progression system is pretty doable for someone "just playing the game."

On 2020-01-22 at 2:37 PM, Ham_Grenabe said:

Frankly, pick all the useful ones, scrap the speed bump items, and make one tree that everyone unlocks over time. No waybounds, just one school of Operator goodies. 

So basically cherry pick all the useful abilities and have everyone use the same thing?

I'll pass, sounds like a horrible idea.

Also (not referring to you, just a general statement to the rest) I'm also against giving all schools energy regen. No, I'm not Zenurik, I've always been Unairu. Not every school should have the ability to just spam energy, there's a lot more than just using operators as an energy drink.

Edited by SpringRocker

3 minutes ago, SpringRocker said:

Not every school should have the ability to just spam energy, there's a lot more than just using operators as an energy drink.

Because the general meta revolves around ability spam and ability buff upkeep. Most people will never take off Zenurik. I am an Unairu User myself but the reason I can ditch Zenurik is because I own a rank 3 Arcane Energize to take care of my energy problems.

If you still against not giving Energy Regen to all school, nerf or remove energizing dash. So people have an incentive to try out other schools.

1 hour ago, Ham_Grenabe said:

Exactly thus.

Failing that, removing the speed bumps would be nice. They could do it at the same time they rework Intrinsics. 

Sorry but that's kind of a terrible idea.

That's kind of like making a race car with lots of different cars but having one that's obviously better than all the others and everyone just uses that.

Not only that there's not really any "useless" operator abilities.

Edited by SpringRocker

37 minutes ago, SpringRocker said:

That's kind of like making a race car with lots of different cars but having one that's obviously better than all the others and everyone just uses that.

Yanno its a shame i do not keep .gif animations on storage because i would be using the Jameson laugh right now. But instead i will just link the Focus system on the wikia and you can enjoy using your brain to examine all those abilities, try them in the simulacrum and understand the definition of `not really any useless operator abilities` was a fking brain dead idea to begin with.

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Focus

But just to nit-pick a few: 

• Naramon`s Void stalker. This ability is suppose to give a +50% crit chance buff to melee attacks, likely not additive, that takes up to 5 seconds which will cost an extra 4 energy a second to charge, meaning thats an additional 20 energy to use. Which will DECAY over 20 seconds, not vanish AFTER 20 seconds, it will freaking decay. Meaning that every 5 seconds it would lose roughly 12.5% crit chance (to melee only attacks~). It might sound good on paper, but considering a typical crit chance base is around 24~32% on the BETTER angle, this would only realy amount to bringing that value up by 12~16 or to 36%~48% before anything else applied. Even a blood rush or True steel gives more then it and it has no decaying gag.

• Also in Naramon, Void Hunter. Which supposedly lets you see enemies thru walls for 25 meters while in void mode, and gradually fades over 5 seconds after exiting, If this actually stacked on top of enemy radar, then it could be useful, but considering one can just run a Enemy sense or Animal Instinct and can just look at the map to instantly see the freaking red dots, this ability is honestly has Zero value at all.

•  So i am not being racist to Naramon, Unairu`s Void spines. Which sounds like it would be good in paper. But this is taking the damage YOU take, after all armor/ability effects are applied, then apply it to enemies, which then applies thar own armor. Which also does not help it would not apply at all if your `invincible` at the time. So basically its a double standard of 2 instances of reductions, max rank would reflect 100% of the post-reduced damage and it does not even mitigate how much damage you take in any way what-so-ever.

• And lets add a double whammy on Madurai, Phoenix Talon & Phoenix Spirit. Both sound like free damage but mechanic-wise they are terrible. Both will not apply to True damage, Tau damage or even FREAKING Void damage (literally the one value both of them should apply to). Plus Talon is multiplicative to damage increases like serration, but is additive if other physical damage mods are involved while spirit just stacks additive with elemental like hellfire. Oh plus Talons will not apply to status effect damage at all. While Spirit will do a weird as fk interaction and SPLIT its buff between elemental damages instead of just buffing all of them proportionality 

Honestly, that last one is kind of stupid in many ways, How could you take straight up damage bonuses which are likely less then 1/4th the value of a single mod and over-complicate the fk out of them. they should of honestly just been like if a weapon has 100 physical base damage, talons would increase that by 25% or +25 physical damage, with the same applying to Spirit, no complex elements period.. With both of them SHOULD of been able to also buff void damage, which could of been one of the few ways to make operator damage in general any decent.

....Especially since without wasting operator amp slots to use converter elements, Void damage has a ridiculous issue of dealing -50% damage against fossilized, cloned flesh and machinery. Which is some huge as frock penalties since some other elemental types do not have that many damage penalties and void damage gets quite literally, no advantage at all besides some `auto stun guaranteed capabilities and resistance removal on sentient type enemies, with the former only working on `drone-types`.

Oh did i forget about the fact void damage has a stupid bullet attractor effect that is a measely 5 meters in size and applies for only about 3 seconds? Certainly seems like D.E. wanted to give Mag a little brother despite the fact the time length is too short to effectively use unless you do some weird as fk coordination with your team to have them bullet hose a nox when you proc it. Too bad one can just aim at the head and last i checked the void`s bullet attractor is not going to increase damage or anything at all, plus amp shots are not really `friendly` with bullet attrctors, so its essentntially a completely MOOT effect, just like how many of the operator abilities have absolutely 0 viability at all, especially when you consider things like decaying effects, heavy energy drain costs, short durations and some effects that feel so stupid, i think D.E. was trying to have our operators able to do Eagle vision(but in a more garbage way), but forgot we have a radar and even Assassin`s creed`s eagle vision did not require some costly drain to exploit the heck out of.

Edited by Avienas

1 minute ago, Avienas said:

But just to nit-pick a few

It sounds like you don't really have experience with some of the abilities to be commenting.

2 minutes ago, Avienas said:

Unairu`s Void spines. Which sounds like it would be good in paper. But this is taking the damage YOU take, after all armor/ability effects are applied, then apply it to enemies, which then applies thar own armor. Which also does not help it would not apply at all if your `invincible` at the time. So basically its a double standard of 2 instances of reductions, max rank would reflect 100% of the post-reduced damage and it does not even mitigate how much damage you take in any way what-so-ever.

It also stuns enemies and cause them to stop shooting (non-heavies). I'm not saying it's great (it's still not that great) but it really sounds like you don't even know much when it comes to operator abilities.

Just because something applies to operators instead of frame or doesn't spam out an endless supply of energy doesn't mean it's useless.

54 minutes ago, SpringRocker said:

We clearly differ on the utility of many focus powers. 

Just now, SpringRocker said:

It sounds like you don't really have experience with some of the abilities to be commenting.

Well i do not go out of my way to literally test every ability to learn the exact details and then try to figure out WITHOUT any kind of damage checking debug functionality, where likely on PC would probably get one`self banned for 3rd party tools of some sort. 

But in all honesty, if D.E. is not going to be accurately describing how certain functions work then there are plenty of things can be mis-leading. Such as REFLECT normally implies one is literally taking the damage they would of took and `deflecting` it back at the target in some glorious motion of sorts. 

But again, what do i know about poorly worded abilities that skip out on particular details or clearly cannot allow one to test how much of a buff like the naramon`s skills actually buff your critical chance, except thru blind test-work.

It also stuns enemies and cause them to stop shooting (non-heavies). I'm not saying it's great (it's still not that great) but it really sounds like you don't even know much when it comes to operator abilities.

Yeah its too bad THAT is not even explained even in the warframe fandom wikia. Which goes to show its a hidden interaction that is likely due to the reversed damage acting as impact based. Which would clearly be the only way such impact procs could cause enemies to stop shooting, as a logical explanation.

Never the less, if i wanted to C.C. things i have more useful ways then clutching myself out of the advantages of energy regen whenever i pick up a energy orb, a regen `buff` for energy up to 150 and even heavy attack `efficiency`. Like Vauban or if i wanted a more effective `passive stun` effect, i could just use Revenant`s Mesmer skin which would also negate the damage entirely and i have a easy to see indicator that i can easily refresh with a flick of a button.

Just because something applies to operators instead of frame or doesn't spam out an endless supply of energy doesn't mean it's useless.

Did i try to say anything about endless supply of energy just yet? Granted i did in this quote but the point is, that plenty of the abilities are inconsistent as fk, such as why would Unairu `upgrade` void blast to also able to apply magnetize, aka the literally innate effect of void procs, which lasts 10 seconds unlike its measely 3 second `default` effect, when unairu is described as being the tree all about outlasting and enduring damage. The same could apply to Unairu wisp, an ability that straight up lets you basically double operator damage, on a focus school that is not about dealing damage but taking it instead. The same could apply to sundering dash which strips enemy armor, with crippling dash only able to COUNT because it it reduces enemy damage, which allows you to `outlast` enemies longer.

Overall, a good sum of the focus abilities in some of the schools do not make sense at all. Which also does not help that it seems some focus skill may still have incorrect text, such as basilisk scales which seems to be upping operator armor by ALOT more then what is described.

GRANTED, i would need to double check that latter one, but i would think if that was the case, where one is getting 500% more armor instead of 200%, would be a huge over-sight on D.E. because they are likely too busy fixing other bugs they should of squashed before releasing that content and such small details would normally be over-looked likely for years, if a player were to not point out such elements. 

Never the less, most of the abilities are quite literally use`less niche gags which some require the existence of Arcane Energize to kill off the reason to NOT use Zenurik over all the others, With in addition the other reason to NOT use Zenurik, is to take Vazarin for Weapon/Warframe grinding maps like Hydron or to have that heal dash to heal defense targets in high level defense missions or long running sessions or even to have a easy way to heal your warframe.