Sign in to follow this  
(XB1)Furious Kaiser

Changing how we access the alternate gear with fishing and hunting as well as accessing the tactical menu while in railjack missions is a huge pain in the butt for us gamepad users (Xbox One w/ regular controller here) I personally use a custom control setup that utilizes the left and right d-pad to swap skills/transference and left bumper to activate selected skills/transference. This setup allows me to ready up any skill I need and I can cast on the fly while parkouring like a madlad and hit with targeted skills where I need them to. Having to add in an additional function to a single button press is neigh impossible for me (and many others I am sure) right now. Putting the fishing and hunting gear on the ability menu was a huge mistake. The ability menu literally slows us down to cast any ability. Try taking your thumb off the right stick (which you aim with) and hit an enemy with a targeted spell (like Ember's Fireball) while in midair after a bullet jump. Good luck. Forcing us to have the ability menu mapped to a single button for something we do not do 99% of the time is a waste of a button on an already limited control surface. Currently, we have to swap out a button to make this work whenever we go into railjack, go fishing, or go hunting (vets do that stuff too, for nightwave objectives) and that process takes time, and isn't smooth.

I propose 3 solutions/ideas to help alleviate these issues:

1) A list of saved controller maps/setups that we have access to right from the pause menu. Sort of like loadouts, but for controls. Pause, select "Controller Maps", Scroll and select the one you need. Done. This way will keep what has already been done with regards to the ability and tactical menu, and allows us a way to tailor our controls quickly and easily to the situation at hand.

2) Add a Left Bumper (Xbox) / L1 (PS) function to the gear wheel, opposite the emote wheel, for alternate gear attached to fishing, hunting, and the tactical menu during railjack missions. The function will activate whatever menu that is tied to the given situation. Have a fishing spear equipped? Bait menu. Dart rifle? Calls and scents menu. In a railjack mission? Tactical menu.

3) This one is an option idea solely for the tactical menu: add it to holding the back button / select button (map button), similar to how we pull up the big map with the cursor on the PoE and Orb Vallis.

Been with Warframe a long time. Hope these ideas spark some good QoL changes with Empyrean.

Love ya guys.

Kaiser

• Like 1

Mmm... I think I understand... maybe. I too use a custom control scheme (Xbox) and do not take advantage of remapping the controller because its kinda messes with me. Being when the game says to press X but I've remapped it elsewhere. Anyway, am I incorrect in assuming that you think you can not "cast" just by tapping the ability menu button...? I have to Ability menu set to my left bumper and I have no issues doing any of those things at all. In my control scheme I can do everything you mentioned and use the ability menu as intended. I can use the D-pad to cycle through my abilities and just tap left bumper (ability menu) to cast or I can hold left bumper and press one of my 4 face buttons to access an ability directly.

another thing that may help you out as well is swapping your tap to hold abilities around in how they work. such as Wisps flowers or Ivaras Quiver. It allows you to just tap to cast and press and hold to cycle the ability. although you would have to hold the ability menu and hold (A) to cycle. Its up to you, but I like it a lot better. It allows me to cast on the move. 

Anyway... My Name is the same on here as it is on Xbox, if your having trouble feel free to send me a PM and I can help you figure something out.

19 minutes ago, (XB1)DarkForceLegend said:

Mmm... I think I understand... maybe. I too use a custom control scheme (Xbox) and do not take advantage of remapping the controller because its kinda messes with me. Being when the game says to press X but I've remapped it elsewhere. Anyway, am I incorrect in assuming that you think you can not "cast" just by tapping the ability menu button...? I have to Ability menu set to my left bumper and I have no issues doing any of those things at all. In my control scheme I can do everything you mentioned and use the ability menu as intended. I can use the D-pad to cycle through my abilities and just tap left bumper (ability menu) to cast or I can hold left bumper and press one of my 4 face buttons to access an ability directly.

another thing that may help you out as well is swapping your tap to hold abilities around in how they work. such as Wisps flowers or Ivaras Quiver. It allows you to just tap to cast and press and hold to cycle the ability. although you would have to hold the ability menu and hold (A) to cycle. Its up to you, but I like it a lot better. It allows me to cast on the move. 

Anyway... My Name is the same on here as it is on Xbox, if your having trouble feel free to send me a PM and I can help you figure something out.

My LB is mapped to the <Activate Selected Power> function not the <Ability Menu> function. Every time I try to map <Ability Menu> to my LB I get the error "Cannot rebind Ability Menu to the same button as Focus and Transference" when I do not bind that function (which swaps warframe/operator mode) as I use left and right on the Dpad  to select it, like a 5th power per se. THAT is a bug it looks like, and it seems to affect some other buttons as well, like Left on the D-pad. I was able to put <Ability Menu> on my RB for the moment, but that is my melee button, so this isn't gonna work. But using the quick tap for the ability menu button to cast abilities is fine..... until you get to abilities that you need to hold to do things, like Ivara's quiver, or any of the augment mods that  change some frames' first ability (e.g. Ember's Fireball). Now to cast the hold ability, I need to hold 2 buttons and remove my right thumb off my right stick, which takes me off from aiming, moving cross hairs to the next target, pointing to my next parkour maneuver target, etc. It literally slows me down. But I am willing to step back and say that it is just me and my familiarity with my custom controls holding me back in that regard. I still stand by my ideas I put forth as worthwhile adjustments for everyone however.

All this testing just done and verified in simulacrum in the past half hour since writing this post.

P.S. While I appreciate the offer of some PMs and chat's in game on the subject, I would prefer to keep it here and public as I want others to chime in and see what they think on the subject. It's not that I have trouble, it is that I have tested the system extensively and have found problems and issues and am offering suggestions and solutions to (hopefully) help.

• Like 1

Fair enough... we can keep the talks here.

So yea, I kinda forgot to mention the finagling around with the ingame mapping. You can switch Ability menu to the left bumper, you just have to move the Transference button to another button in the ability controller config. I guess the best thing is to explain how my controller is mapped.

so I moved dodge/crouch to my B button. X is my reload/context action. Y is swap weapon/hold to go full melee. A is jump.

My left bumper is Ability menu. My right bumper is secondary fire/heavy attack. My left trigger is aim/melee block. My right trigger is attack/melee attack.

pressing on my left thumb stick will allow sprint, pressing on my right thumb stick will do quick melee and swap to partial melee allowing me to use my right trigger for melee after the initial melee attack.

I've left the D-pad alone entirely.

To get the ability menu on the left bumper you have to move transference off of the left bumper first. I think I had to move it to a trigger or something, then I moved ability menu to the left bumper and then went back and moved transference to the right bumper thus making it work the same way as intended.

As far as swapping tap and hold abilities go... admittedly I have yet to test it with warframes that don't have a cycle function such as inaros' last ability... I'll have to test that tonight and see how it works out. hopefully it only changes abilities that cycle.

4 minutes ago, (XB1)DarkForceLegend said:

Fair enough... we can keep the talks here.

So yea, I kinda forgot to mention the finagling around with the ingame mapping. You can switch Ability menu to the left bumper, you just have to move the Transference button to another button in the ability controller config. I guess the best thing is to explain how my controller is mapped.

so I moved dodge/crouch to my B button. X is my reload/context action. Y is swap weapon/hold to go full melee. A is jump.

My left bumper is Ability menu. My right bumper is secondary fire/heavy attack. My left trigger is aim/melee block. My right trigger is attack/melee attack.

pressing on my left thumb stick will allow sprint, pressing on my right thumb stick will do quick melee and swap to partial melee allowing me to use my right trigger for melee after the initial melee attack.

I've left the D-pad alone entirely.

To get the ability menu on the left bumper you have to move transference off of the left bumper first. I think I had to move it to a trigger or something, then I moved ability menu to the left bumper and then went back and moved transference to the right bumper thus making it work the same way as intended.

As far as swapping tap and hold abilities go... admittedly I have yet to test it with warframes that don't have a cycle function such as inaros' last ability... I'll have to test that tonight and see how it works out. hopefully it only changes abilities that cycle.

Ya, I threw the <Transference/Operator> function onto another button to see if that helped, but I was still getting the error message to pop up. Same error when trying to map <Ability Menu> to the left on me D-pad, but it works on the right..... It is bugged, or at least it is for me.

I use melee a LOT in my play style. Here is my custom control scheme:

Left Trigger - Aim, takes me out of melee quickly, or moves into block melee combos if held while spamming RB (melee)

Right Trigger - Shoot (I used to have it as my melee for full melee mode prior to the rework in the past that got rid of quick melees and full melee mode) Allows me to seemlessly swap between shooting and meleeing on the fly. Works great with CO builds and needing to use a gun to quickly hit enemies with status procs prior to slapping 'em

LB - Use abilities, I use it for transference as well, sorta like a 5th ability. Use left and right on the D-pad to select an ability/transference on the fly. I usually swap abilities mid jump / bullet jump to stay mobile and hard to hit.

RB - Melee, used to be quick melee prior to that update mention before, but wasn't a bad transition for me once that update hit.

D-pad Up - Marker.

D-pad Left & Right - Select an ability or transference along the bottom right of screen to be ready to cast.

D-pad Down - Gear Wheel, with RB while gear wheel is up to bring up the Emote wheel.

A - Jump

B - Secondary Shot with guns / Heavy Melee strike

X - Reload & Activate Stuff

Y - Weapon Swap

Left Stick Click - Toggles Sprint

Right Stick Click - Hold to Crouch when stationary & Slide when moving (not toggle)

This is for normal play, without getting into Archwing, Captura, and Decorator Mode controls.

I regularly use my right index finger to shoot and melee while going into "crab claw" mode to my A button to parkour around and let my right middle finger take over shooting/meleeing temporarily during heavy parkour moments, which can be quite often.

That all said, with my setup I parkour around like crazy to avoid being shot while keeping my crosshairs on targets as much as possible. They need to flesh out some of the bugs and functions with controllers more now that they want to add more functions with Empyrean (tactical menu).

Thats pretty crazy set up...all just to use single target abilities??  ember's Fireball??? Nekros Soul Punch... I forgot those even existed lol.   Why fireball when you can nuke everything you see with her 4???

• LT - aim/glide
  • LB - crouch/slide
  • L3 - sprint
  • RT - shoot
  • RB - ability menu (ps4 has touchpad that u can use to cast all abilities but I just use it for transference)
  • R3 - alt fire/zoom
  • square - interact/reload
  • triangle - weapon swap
  • X - jump
  • O - melee
  • D-pad = Left:Map, Up:synth scanner(free slot if needed), Right:marker, Down:gearwheel
  • Tactical menu in RJ was based off Ability menu + left on d-pad by default...  Changed it to RB+LB (In one of the PC patches they moved the tactical menu to the start/option button on controllers, we should get that with next patch).

I dont use single target abilities much because like you said I cant aim and cast lol.  BUT...whenever you use an ability, tapping the ability button will recast the last abiliy used..

Edited by (PS4)AbBaNdOn_

34 minutes ago, (XB1)Furious Kaiser said:

Ya, I threw the <Transference/Operator> function onto another button to see if that helped, but I was still getting the error message to pop up. Same error when trying to map <Ability Menu> to the left on me D-pad, but it works on the right..... It is bugged, or at least it is for me.

It may be possible that it is bugged, but I assure you that it is tricky to get the ability menu to the left bumper. When Railjack came out, I had my control scheme as listed, but to gain the ability to blink for your archwing you had to restore to default to "activate" the ability to blink. It was a work around for whatever reason. Not a problem for most of the community because they use the default control scheme. When I went back to rebind my controls it wouldn't let me put ability menu on the left bumper because of transference was bound there, so I made my controller scheme similar to yours in that it uses the ability selected. I didn't like it at all , I was freaking out, it didn't allow me to jump abilities just by quickly holding and selecting x or b or whatever... So after going through all the remapping menus I found that you can get it to work.

Its kinda a 2 stage process. First you have to move transference to a different button all together by going to the ability remapping menu. I don't think i was able to move it directly to the right bumper, so I moved it to a trigger. After that I went back to the main remapping changed the left bumper to ability menu. Then went back to the ability remapping menu, moved transference to the right bumper. Then back to the main remapping page and made the right bumper Heavy attack.

3 hours ago, (XB1)DarkForceLegend said:

My right bumper is secondary fire/heavy attack.

I thought that button was charge attack. Isn't heavy attack just holding down the melee button?

ok, so on the topic of reversing tap and hold abilities. I did testing with Inaros 4th ability which has a press and hold to build up armor and tap to cast and it still functions as intended. Honestly I dont know of many warframes with tap and hold abilities that it could have effected, but it seems it only affects the abilities that can cycle. At least until we can gain more information on the subject.