Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Another Trinity Suggestion

waterboytkd

I know there's been a few of these recently, but I wanted to add my own voice to the mix that would like to see Trinity get some QoL improvements (but not power level buffs). She's a cool frame, fun, versatile even. But the overall design of the kit is showing its age. With that, my suggestions:

Passive: Triage

• Mostly unchanged.
  • Add "If ally has been stabilized by Well of Life, instantly revive instead."

1: Well of Life

• Energy Cost: 50
  • Uses Blessing's casting animation and cast time.
  • Heals self and all allies (Warframes/Companions/etc.) within shared affinity range (default 50 meters, not affected by Ability Range) for 20%/30%/40%/50% (affected by Ability Strength) of max shields and health. If an affected ally is bleeding out, stabilize the ally (halts bleedout timer indefinitely).
  • This becomes a quick, but strong heal. It is on the expensive side for a first ability, but she shouldn't really be spamming it.

2: Energy Vampire

• Mostly the same.
  • Change the effect of the target dying to: all remaining pulses are centered on Trinity instead, but continue to happen over the duration.
  • Maybe the base amount of energy restored needs to be increased given the above? Maybe not.

3: Link

• Energy Cost: 75
  • Uses same casting animation and cast time as current.
  • Now targets a single enemy in the center of your crosshairs (cannot be cast unless you have an enemy in your crosshairs).
  • The target enemy links with the closest enemies over a duration of 6/8/10/12 seconds. While any enemies are linked, all damage and status effects that would be applied to the target are instead applied to up to 2/3/4/5 enemies (affected by Ability Strength) within 15/20/25/30 meters (affected by Ability Range) of the target.
  • Cannot be recast while active.
  • Ability Synergy: Targeting the same enemy with Energy Vampire transfers the stun to the linked enemies (but not the energy pulses).
  • This becomes a true offensive ability for Trinity, but still doesn't do any damage in and of itself. Instead, it turns any other incoming damage (from weapons or other abilities) into AoE damage. Be warned, though: the target is unkillable while it has any links established.

4: Blessing

• Energy Cost: 50 for tap-to-cast, 100 for hold-to-cast.
  • Can use current animation or new one. Tap-to-cast uses same cast time. Hold-to-cast has a 2 second charge time (and freezes the animation when her hand hits the ground, if using current animation).
  • Tap-to-cast: Grants Trinity 50%/60%/70%/80% damage resistance (affected by Ability Strength, cap at 90%) and immunity to Status Effects for 25/30/35/40 seconds (affected by Ability Duration).
  • Hold-to-cast: Charging the ability during the cast additionally grants the damage resistance to all allies within shared affinity range.
  • Now, rather than a heal *and* damage resistance, it's just damage resistance, but with a much longer base duration. The damage resistance is still a unique effect independent of innate resistances and resistance mods like Adaptation.

Overall, these changes would see a couple of things: 

• Total damage reduction for Trinity is nerfed (from 93.75% to 90%--this assumes both Link and Blessing active, and Blessing reached the 75% cap), but the duration of that DR got a substantial buff. 
  • Her offensive capabilities got buffed (the new link spreading damage, the avenue for an AoE stagger + true damage with Link + Energy Vampire). 
  • Her kit is tidied up (only 1 ability that heals, all the DR in one ability), making for better quality of life. 
  • The energy regeneration of Energy Vampire is nerfed, overall. She can't really bring people back to full energy in a matter of seconds any longer. But, she is still a very good source of energy regeneration. This should also help greatly increase the QoL for Trinity in using Energy Vampire: she won't be spamming it anymore. Also, with the energy regen guaranteed to be spread out over a period of time, overcapping energy won't be as much of a thing.

I'm not sure if this is an overall buff or nerf for her. I was trying to avoid both--I wanted her to land at about the same power level she currently enjoys, but with better QoL by removing Energy Vampire spam and the need to upkeep 2 short duration buffs. The increase in her overall offensive power was a by-product of trying to figure out what happens with Link if all her DR gets put on one ability.

Edited by waterboytkd

46 minutes ago, waterboytkd said:

The energy regeneration of Energy Vampire is nerfed, overall. She can't really bring people back to full energy in a matter of seconds any longer.

I fail to see how your suggestion does this. I can still build for 12% duration and use the ability every 4 seconds.

Sure, it would make EV spam the only build capable of doing that, but it would still be possible.

Now for the issues:

48 minutes ago, waterboytkd said:

If an affected ally is bleeding out, stabilize the ally (halts bleedout timer indefinitely).

This could easily be used to troll, even unintentionally. There are times when you enter a bugged state and the only solution is to die and let the bleedout timer end naturally. In these cases, you can't even press X to end bleedout, as that preserves the bug.

51 minutes ago, waterboytkd said:

Be warned, though: the target is unkillable while it has any links established.

Again, easy to use for trolling. Imagine using this on a Lich, or on any other mini-boss/field boss that is vulnerable to casting. Though I guess the way to avoid this is to make sure you kill everything else first.

Other than that, not a bad plan. I like the idea of each ability doing something different, and the increased durations.

5 hours ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

I fail to see how your suggestion does this. I can still build for 12% duration and use the ability every 4 seconds.

Make EV scale with strength as it does but make the number of pulses dependent on duration. That way you get more energy out of a particular cast with a high duration. You're going to be building for some duration anyway, so it doesn't necessarily present any interesting tradeoffs, but it'd remove this issue, and frankly, it's just more consistent with other abilities even considering the ability in its current state. 

But yeah, it would be so very nice to see Trinity with some debuff power like this. 

22 minutes ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

Sure, it would make EV spam the only build capable of doing that, but it would still be possible.

Now for the issues:

This could easily be used to troll, even unintentionally. There are times when you enter a bugged state and the only solution is to die and let the bleedout timer end naturally. In these cases, you can't even press X to end bleedout, as that preserves the bug.

Again, easy to use for trolling. Imagine using this on a Lich, or on any other mini-boss/field boss that is vulnerable to casting. Though I guess the way to avoid this is to make sure you kill everything else first.

Other than that, not a bad plan. I like the idea of each ability doing something different, and the increased durations.

Re: Energy Vampire. 
That's true, I guess. I don't know if it's that big of a concern, though. Would people actually do that? Considering it would gimp your 4 pretty badly?

Re: Stabilize
Outside of bugs, though, could it be used for trolling? I was wondering about that when I came up with it, but couldn't come up with anything (granted, I didn't think of bugs that prevent you from self-rezzing). That said, could always leave the bleedout timer going, if needed, but "Stabilized" just allows for instant revival.

Re: Link
One thing to keep in mind: if there's any enemies to link to, those enemies will take damage (and die). If there's no enemies to link to, there's no invuln for the enemy. So if someone trolls by throwing this on a lich, you'd just kill the room trying to hurt the lich, then hurt the lich once all the other enemies are dead. Granted, you could still be pretty trolly. That said, can Trinity troll liches right now by casting Well of Life on them? Genuine question. I've never tried it...

4 minutes ago, CopperBezel said:

Make EV scale with strength as it does but make the number of pulses dependent on duration. That way you get more energy out of a particular cast with a high duration. You're going to be building for some duration anyway, so it doesn't necessarily present any interesting tradeoffs, but it'd remove this issue, and frankly, it's just more consistent with other abilities even considering the ability in its current state. 

I like this. Like, Energy Vampire pulses every 3 seconds, regardless of duration (so baseline at rank 3, it's 4 pulses with Initial Pulse + 3 additional pulses). Get it up to a 15 second duration, and you can get initial pulse + 5 additional pulses.

Especially if it was also changed so killing the target doesn't release all the pulses at once, but changes the source of the pulses to Trinity instead of the target.