Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Idea: rogue-like game mode

Gentleman_Bird

Just had a wild idea, Warframe already has a lot of elements that could be adapted to a rouge-like gamemode.

Here's the concept: you enter a level with nothing. No weapons, no warframe abilities. Your goal is to reach the end of the level. Scattered throughout the level are weapons that you can pick up with varying mod capacities, and containers containing mods at various upgrade levels. To progress, you need to collect enough gear to reach the end, modding your weapons as you go.

At the beginning, you may need to sneak around in order to collect enough gear to survive a fight. However, some rooms would require combat in order to progress. For example, guarding a temporary defense objective, or surviving in a locked room with enemies coming in before the way forward opens after a certain amount of time.

Enemy levels and types will get increasingly difficult throughout the level, but you'll find weapons with higher mod capacities and higher-ranked mods the further you go. Or, enemy level could increase with time. Maybe there could be minibosses that could easily kill you, but could drop good gear. Maybe have it all lead up to a final boss at the end. Perhaps have a Smash Ultimate style reward structure, where the player decides the difficulty, with higher difficulty leading to an increased payout if they win.

And that's all I got. I'm not sure what to do about warframe powers or rewards or anything like that. It could potentially be a good way to bring about some challenging content, and would encourage players to git gud with a variety of weapon types. It also won't require too many new assets, with most of the content being remixed from what's already in the game.

Edit: some setpiece ideas:

- You're kidnapped by your Kuva Lich (or some other bad guy) and stripped of all weapons. You need to use whatever's around you to escape while the Lich hunts you down if you get spotted.

- You're infiltrating some kind of facility, and your outside weapons don't work due to some kind of Void mumbo jumbo.

- Some kind of Simaris simulation in the Sanctuary with ever-increasing difficulty.

- (The Second Dream spoiler)

The enemy is transporting a dormant Warframe. You remotely transfer into the Warframe to help it escape.

Edited by Gentleman_Bird
spelling

The idea is super intersting, but I would see a few tweaks to make it work in warframe, and maybe more intersting ?

• Drop are based on all existing gears, but you can only use what you own (or at least mastered) with your acount. This encourage owning most of gear and make the gamemode a more endgame related thing, while still allowing everyone to play it (less efficiently though.
  • You get access to arsenal at the end of each room (or at some specific rooms) to customise your gears, which mean you can't use a warframe/weapon you just dropped but still can switch back to it and mod it differntlyat the next arsenal access.

To be honest, this is really the kind of endgame I want and it really work with warframe. Increasing difficulty and necessity to ajust your loadout depending on what you find really fit warframe and I would definitely play thousands of hours in the gamemode.

As far as I know there's something like this if you get your Warframe captured by the Zanuka. Have to break out and make it to extraction with no weapons or powers. Since they haven't talked about Duviri much it's hard to say specifics, but it looks to be a very dark and dreary setting with only your operator. Not having your Warframe would make fighting a lot more interesting. 

• Like 1

One of the most exciting moments in my 4000 hours of WF was the one time I died against Zanuka hunter. It's practically the OP's idea, you have to bust out with no gear and go and find everything.

While I don't see it fitting in as any major part of the game, I think it could have merit as a special mission or alert type. Perhaps having to 'rescue' a priority warframe by entering the mission in operator form, sneaking to the warframe and having to scavenge weapons to fight your way out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gentleman_Bird said:

you may need to sneak around in order to collect enough gear to survive a fight.

Due to how DE has greatly increased the enemy detection ranges, this is dang near impossible to do now without using invisibility of some kind.  They can also see dead bodies, which we can no longer destroy with channeled attacks.  

Lastly, as those above have already said; this mode does exist when you get captured by Gustag Three or Zanuka.  

2 hours ago, (XB1)Red Dough Boy said:

As far as I know there's something like this if you get your Warframe captured by the Zanuka. Have to break out and make it to extraction with no weapons or powers. Since they haven't talked about Duviri much it's hard to say specifics, but it looks to be a very dark and dreary setting with only your operator. Not having your Warframe would make fighting a lot more interesting. 

Yeah, that was part of what gave me the idea. The level itself isn't really anything special though imo.

1 hour ago, (PS4)jaggerwanderer said:

People already hate the Grendel missions. No way will the vast majority enjoy this type of game mode.
On a unrelated note, I would like a blue-like tileset with a furry mode that has enchant weaponry.

I liked the unique challenge of the Grendel missions, though I think they drag on a bit too long.

34 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Due to how DE has greatly increased the enemy detection ranges, this is dang near impossible to do now without using invisibility of some kind.  They can also see dead bodies, which we can no longer destroy with channeled attacks.  

Lastly, as those above have already said; this mode does exist when you get captured by Gustag Three or Zanuka.  

Yeah, stealth could use some tweaking both with mechanics and maybe adding some sneakier paths you can take to avoid detection. I was thinking it would be nice to have some mode that actually encourages stealth. Right now all we got are certain riven challenges. And the Zanuka mission is interesting for a minute until you get your first weapon back, then it's just Warframe as normal.

Edited by Gentleman_Bird

5 hours ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

let the grutrag 3 or zanuka catch you and you get to experience this. It's so fun.

If the G3 catch you they don't even go that far. They just replace your clan logo with a Grineer symbol, and this causes you to deal 50% less damage to Grineer, and Lotus sends you a 60 second blueprint to take the Grineer symbol back off

• Like 1