Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Status Melee Weapons, What to do with them?

xxvaderxxar

So, i got my self a Synoid Heliocore, which hast a metric ton of status, decent damage and decent attack speed, and then i realized, wait, this has status but no crit, what can i actually do with this?.

Crit weapons can be built for heavy attacks or combo, even mixin in some status for some of them, what can you actually do with status weapons now, that comes nearly close to that performance?.

It depends 

Do you want to watch the enemies destroy each other or the effect to work it's magic on them? Go for high Status and low damage.

I used to run Oberon in Exterminates where I would make the enemies kill each other using Radiation status. 

I enjoy the feel of BLAST damage on my weapons as it does a few things to the enemies. Either they disintegrate entirely, go flying off the planet, or fall flat. It's entertaining to me plus I know (or knew) that falling flat enemies canno shoot or hit you. Lately, the Ancients have been still harpooning while falling flat 

I barely touch the others when using status as they are more get enemy LP down than let status do the work. Each person has their own thing to enjoy.

With the Synoid....it was that when you did a Channel Kill, you would get a clone to fight on your side. Not sure how it works now.....

24 minutes ago, (XB1)DShinShoryuken said:

Lately, the Ancients have been still harpooning while falling flat 

Thought I was just imagining this, but I was actually cursing them out-loud (to myself, lol) yesterday during an infested arb survival.  They can grab you with that thing seemingly to the point when they are already technically dead, like cut in half.  But until the animation finishes they can still harpoon you... Not a big deal but I was annoyed by it, and I don't remember it being like this in the past.

They need a mod or mechanic that just helps "pure" status melee and not crit or hybrid weapons.  The idea I had was a mod scaling with combo count, + X damage / - Y crit damage.  But it could be much different and much more creative than that.

In any case something that's as good as Blood Rush or Sac Steel for instance, but also something that ye olde crit meta builds wouldn't touch with a 10 foot Orthos Prime.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

They need a mod or mechanic that just helps "pure" status melee and not crit or hybrid weapons.  The idea I had was a mod scaling with combo count, + X damage / - Y crit damage.  But it could be much different and much more creative than that.

In any case something that's as good as Blood Rush or Sac Steel for instance, but also something that ye olde crit meta builds wouldn't touch with a 10 foot Orthos Prime.

Guess what? We used to have both. But then, melee 3.0 came and nerfed both.

Not only that, they made 8 mods pretty much mandatory for every weapon, despite claiming they didn't want one build to rule them all. A complete failure.

5 hours ago, Anthraxicus said:

Guess what? We used to have both...

Hybrid rules now and did back then too, don't you think?. If you said that the disparity was far worse now, I'd definitely agree with that.  

5 hours ago, Anthraxicus said:

A complete failure.

Pretty close anyway, for all the work and build up.  My  quibbles would be that short range weapons are much more viable, and I personally prefer the new combo controls.  And while I can't get into it yet, some people seem to like the heavy attack system.  And...that's pretty much it? 

And then lots of glaring problems, some old and some new.   It's crazy to me that with all the time DE spent on this, I'm thinking "Melee really could use an overhaul..."  Melee 4.0, coming in 2024.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiltskillet said:

Hybrid rules now and did back then too, don't you think?. If you said that the disparity was far worse now, I'd definitely agree with that.  

Before. Status was better for long term cause crits don't do much when you get into billions of eHP. But crits were faster for lower level content (probably up to about level 80-100 depending on build.)

Now. You can REALLY feel the gap early on and crit is just straight better now.

Edited by stormy505

18 hours ago, 844448 said:

corrosive for stripping armor with condition overload for stacking damage bonus

A rule of thumb I like to follow: If your melee weapon is successfully stripping armor with Corrosive, then it's probably not killing fast enough.

OT:
Critless status weapons reeeaaallly got the short end of the stick with Melee 3.0, and of course DE's probably not going to do anything about it until like 2025. Until then, the best thing you can do with these weapons is find a way to give them some sort of crit multiplier-- e.g. with Harrow/Adarza (which give additive crit chance), or with forced stealth bonuses (which give additive +700% crit damage regardless of whether the weapon actually crits-- e.g. Sleep, Blind, Savage Silence, etc).
Unfortunately, with DE slowly stomping the life out of stealth damage over the past year (with zero mention of it in the patch notes, of course), our options for reliable stealth damage are becoming... increasingly limited.

Status based melee are typically left behind by status/crit hybrids and crit variants of weapons. I do not believe status is dead, however.

Something I've enjoyed is building corrosive heat weeping wounds to 100% status armor strip melee, which kills the crazy tuned enemies in Railjack currently. The other really fun build is to stack as much base damage as I can, then stack toxin/heat + status and create a heavy attack build that procs gas procs that do upwards of 20k-30k per tick.

Ofc this gas proc damage translates to peanuts when used on the level 90 railjack enemies, but somewhat expected there, armor is a harsh mistress.

Edited by Skaleek

3 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

Pretty close anyway, for all the work and build up.  My  quibbles would be that short range weapons are much more viable, and I personally prefer the new combo controls.  And while I can't get into it yet, some people seem to like the heavy attack system.  And...that's pretty much it? 

And then lots of glaring problems, some old and some new.   It's crazy to me that with all the time DE spent on this, I'm thinking "Melee really could use an overhaul..."  Melee 4.0, coming in 2024.

Hybrid? Of course they are doing fine. New Condition Overload is basically a Primed Pressure Point for most weapons and they can also take advantage of the massively buffed crit mods. But pure status weapons with low crit chances? Hell no. These are dead, as well as Exalted Blade. DE killed both the combo counter bonus and condition overload for pure status.

The fact of the matter is that most of positive changes that came with Melee 3.0 could have been achieved by simply, I don't know......rebalancing the weapons perhaps? Like they did with primary, secondary and beam weapons long before that (remember that the rebalance of melee weapons didn't happen at the same time because of melee 3.0 and they stayed like this for years). Reworking the system entirely not only took way too much, it also failed to achieve every single one of the main objectives. 

More like no even close now. Since CO only buffs damage like Pressure Point, you either have a choice of Heavy Attacking Crit builds, or a Hybrid build if you want the extra Status damage on top of the Crit scaling. Although with the current Combo Counter, can’t really go too far into Status or your damage would be not as good as you want (unlike how it was previously) but going too much for Crit, Armor would starting wrecking your damage at lvl 250 or higher unless you have a way to remove or ignore it. Which is why i moved away from Zenistar now, the nerf to CO plus the Disc’s Duration isn’t worth it when i’m doing Solo runs. 

Edited by GPrime96

I wasn't gonna post but duh! the rework has truly shoehorned the players to basically  a two type build discussed above. in melee 2.0 most of the problems melee has now was non existent. so how is that devil trigger:crylaugh:  still w.i.p. and players are looking for a overhaul already.