Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why does the Railjack slow down in space?

IamLoco

Why does a Railjack slow down in SPACE after boosting?

What causes the deceleration? There´s no atmosphere!

It´s rather annoying if you have the sprint switch enabled. You boost, then the booster runs out, the Railjack gets magically reset to its former speed and then we need to press shift again to start the booster refill.

How about having to break manually after boosting (reverse throttle) and rather slowing the Railjack more from bumping into debris, fighters or asteroids, down to normal speed? 

Edited by IamLoco

We had that with archwing and it didnt feel very good to play. it's for more precise movement. The issue you are describing could just be solved by removing the stamina bar for Railjack, a thing they did for frames years ago because it just didnt feel very good. Unfortunately they made a lot of past mistakes again but this time in space.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, IamLoco said:

It´s rather annoying if you have the sprint switch enabled. You boost, then the booster runs out, the Railjack gets magically reset to its former speed and then we need to press shift again to start the booster refill.

How about having to break manually after boosting (reverse throttle) and rather slowing the Railjack more from bumping into debris, fighters or asteroids, down to normal speed? 

totally off topic but if u want to solve some mistery here is more mysterious one
why we select channel going to cetus or fortuna but we dont select a channel when go there via syndicates?

giphy.gif

Well, didn't you see all those fans cheerfully moving vacuum around on Corpus archwing tileset?

Anyway, Although there were plenty of space games with (close to) proper Newtonian physics... There's a reason very few people can name more than 2.   (Elite 2: Frontier, Elite 3, I think Elite:Dangerous returned to "atmosphere" physics, Terminus, Homeplanet, Independence War Deluxe, and if we allow for more of a simulator genre, Kerbal Space Program and Orbiter. Probably there were more, but I'm not knowing of them.)

Edited by nebfab

Imagine if people had to account for more realistic physics (you know, object maintains momentum in vacuum until it stops [either by collision or other cancellation of that momentum]). It has its place in a more simulated setting. Here, not so much.

From a lore perspective, I try to explain it away as the craft using retro thrusters for ease of navigation, so the pilot doesn't have to do it by hand. >.<

Edited by Aldrr
  • Like 6

While it could be cool i can definitely see that the current control setup makes more sense from a gameplay perspective. Lore wise i suppose the easy way to explain it is the usual mumbo jumbo void drive causes drag in space or something to that effect. Or its just a design thing to make it "easier" to pilot with CY doing all the calculations etc in order to basically let more or less anyone hop on the pilot seat and fly the thing with no training.

As for the corpus space fans, if you look around that tileset i do believe almost all of it is covered by a shield. So there may well be atmosphere, but no gravity, inside the shield.

12 minutes ago, Drachnyn said:

The issue you are describing could just be solved by removing the stamina bar for Railjack, a thing they did for frames years ago because it just didnt feel very good. Unfortunately they made a lot of past mistakes again but this time in space.

This...  The stamina bar sucks.  Any game that limits amount of time you can sprint just feels slow and lumbering.  I mean, what is the worst outcome if they removed the stam bar?  It would just make it more fun to pilot.  The guns have limited range and you have a lot of fighters to kill.  

10 minutes ago, Vahenir said:

As for the corpus space fans, if you look around that tileset i do believe almost all of it is covered by a shield. So there may well be atmosphere, but no gravity, inside the shield.

Hmm... Actually a possible explanation. Maybe that's how it works, or at least can be explained away.

Normally. you would need thruster to reduce the spaceship speed to stop. While it may not be an answer but I can only thinking of 'Safety'. If you're out of fuel/boosted power, the safety kicked in to stop the vessel from going in the same direction forever and collide with astroids or something.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, nebfab said:

Well, didn't you see all those fans cheerfully moving vacuum around on Corpus archwing tileset?

Anyway, Although there were plenty of space games with (close to) proper Newtonian physics... There's a reason very few people can name more than 2.   (Elite 2: Frontier, Elite 3, I think Elite:Dangerous returned to "atmosphere" physics, Terminus, Homeplanet, Independence War Deluxe, and if we allow for more of a simulator genre, Kerbal Space Program and Orbiter. Probably there were more, but I'm not knowing of them.)

Elite: Dangerous only introduced "flight assist" that takes care of all counter thrusts etc to keep your ship going the direction you point it at at the speed you choose.

You can disable the flight assist at your leisure with a keybind. Altho that makes ship way more difficult to controll, but allows to pull off maneuvers impossible with flight assist enabled.

As for explanation why ship slows down - I'll provide you easiest one that I totally didn't steal from certain space mmo out there - reliquary drive has a passive side-effect of "anchoring" your ship to the specific point in space it's currently in - effectively creating drag to any movement, requiring constant thrust to keep moving and constant harder thrust to keep moving faster.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IamLoco said:

yeah, that's pretty silly honestly. you can easily forget you're out of boost, go to use it, and nothing happens unless you press again and wait. every other game where a vehicle boosts is just "boost until you run out, let it regenerate before you boost again". what is so hard about implementing that?

I know Railjacks aren't meant to be as agile as fighters, but in the grand scheme of things, Railjacks are still a rather small fighting ship. if thy doubled the base speed of the Railjack and Increased speed when boosting as well, it's be enough IMO, then you add on your Engine bonuses an you'll be going at a decent pace. the maps are huge (because it's space) and having to fly in a straight line for 16,000 meters get pretty boring when it's so slow.

4 hours ago, IamLoco said:

Probably has something to do with warping space, like when the Enterprise drops out of warp to a near instant stop from light speed.  We would have to ask an Orokin scientist. 

I do think it's waaay more exciting to go fast, so removing the boost meter to unleash the Railjack would be incredibly fun.  Or at least make boost recharge automatically...

Edited by GrimSinner
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, (PS4)ChaosTheNerd said:

It's the same type of logic as having fall off damage in #*!%ing space

For energy weapons, I can understand damage falloff. Beams disperse, plasma cools down and loses its magnetic containment and those strange ice cloud things would probably fall apart as well.

For plain old bullets, however... yeah. It's going to take several hundred thousand kilometres for a bullet to slow down even in high orbit. In deep space, it'll be light years before it gets slowed enough by interstellar dust. If they have some kind of internal explosive or chemical charge, that might go bad over time - but it's not likely to happen on the order of seconds.

EDIT: and yeah, I'm also pissed off about having WW2 dogfight physics in space. I've watched Babylon 5, I know how space combat is supposed to work.

Edited by DoomFruit

Void magic.

...That's the explanation for literally everything in most cases.

I mean think of it this way, the Railjack might not be moving through space, but rather using the power of the Void to move the space AROUND the Railjack.

(name that reference)

Edited by Aldain

To answer your question in a way you can understand and relate to I am going to have to refer you to another game. Go play elite dangerous, turn off flight assist to enable newtonian flight physics. Sure if you boost in one direction you will maintain speed while remaining on the heading you initially boosted from after you cut off your main engines. Yes you can pull off crazy maneuvers that starbuck from battlestar galactica (2004) can do like using your maneurving thrusters to face your enemy while moving away. However, most people cant do contant calculations to effectively manuever their ships in that manner without colliding into other objects and ships. Hell, it took me 6 months to be barely servicable maneuvering in newtonian flight mode. I personally only do it in short spans to impress other pilots or show them its possible before switching back to aircraft mode. As for landing, there are WAY to many variables for most people to land without cratering in Newtonian flight mode.

Anyways you can already pull off most of the cool maneuvers in your railjack with the speed cap in place. All it takes is playing with the controls. If you are pissed about having aircraft controls in space I implore you to watch others try to fly in Newtonian flight mode and have a nice laugh. Space is big, too many objects to track and having a Railjack move with unlimited acceleration slam into a rock or station that is in your blindside will most certainly be a quick way of pissing off the rest of your crew.

• Like 1

Oh and as far as unlimited acceleration... you do realize in newtonian physics and the TV show The Expanse got it right. Turn and burn, baby! The longer you accelerate also means your deceleration is equally as long. I don't know about you, but DE should make a test server just for this to see how many people slam into or overshoot missile batteries, asteroid hangars, etc, because they underestimate the deceleration distance. I think it would make hilarious videos of railjacks exploding and archwings splatting into their intended destinations.🤣

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Syncr0w said:

Oh and as far as unlimited acceleration... you do realize in newtonian physics and the TV show The Expanse got it right. Turn and burn, baby! The longer you accelerate also means your deceleration is equally as long. I don't know about you, but DE should make a test server just for this to see how many people slam into or overshoot missile batteries, asteroid hangars, etc, because they underestimate the deceleration distance. I think it would make hilarious videos of railjacks exploding and archwings splatting into their intended destinations.🤣

Omg, that would be hilarious. And I'll always salute an Expanse reference, beratna.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DoomFruit said:

For plain old bullets, however... yeah. It's going to take several hundred thousand kilometres for a bullet to slow down even in high orbit. In deep space, it'll be light years before it gets slowed enough by interstellar dust. If they have some kind of internal explosive or chemical charge, that might go bad over time - but it's not likely to happen on the order of seconds.

On the other hand, just because a bullet can fly that far doesn't mean you can hit anything with it. Which still doesn't explain a smooth falloff, but at least can be used to justify some arbitrary "maximum range," if you feel it's needed for technical or gameplay balance reasons.

23 hours ago, IamLoco said:

I take it you are fairly new? Archwing used to have 'realistic' space physics years ago and it was #*!%ing awful.