Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IamLoco

Why does the Railjack slow down in space?

16 hours ago, Aldain said:

Void magic.

...That's the explanation for literally everything in most cases.

I mean think of it this way, the Railjack might not be moving through space, but rather using the power of the Void to move the space AROUND the Railjack.

(name that reference)

Futurama.

23 hours ago, JackHargreav said:

I don't know. Is there a game that let's you speed up for an infinite amount of time?

Yes, it's Wipeout in mach speed mode, the game keeps speeding you up infinitely until it is no longer possible for any person in the world to keep up. Just a fun "did you know?"

They need to multiply the boost meter by at least 3 times and remove that mandatory super-dash afterwards. 90% of the time I just cruise without boosters when fighting enemies because if I actually try juke and maneuver around using drift I just shoot myself off 2km away from everything. Sure the dash can be useful, but it should be optional and require an input to achieve, and not strictly go forwards for a momentum shift that would rip anything to bits if you're drifting backwards.

23 hours ago, IamLoco said:

Why does a Railjack slow down in SPACE after boosting?

What causes the deceleration? There´s no atmosphere!

Railjack missions in Earth Proxima take place roughly 950 km above Earth. This is roughly the height of Earth's exosphere, which if my read of Wikipedia is correct contains a sparse layer of gas-like molecules that are still gravitationally bound to Earth. In other words, a form of matter that the Railjack can collide with and lose momentum to

In addition, Proxima missions are filled with space debris. There are going to be untold millions if not billions of micrometeors (sand from asteroid mining and paint flecks from Grineer machines) that your Railjack can also collide with.

On a tactical level, Railjack missions take place at exceedingly close range. It's entirely possible that Cephalon Cy is using retrorockets to slow the Railjack down -- on Tenno orders -- in order to keep the Railjack on the Tenno's intended course and put of dangerous no-man's-land. There are a myriad reasons to do this, such as not getting pegged by some Shipkiller platform on the horizon or being detected by an errant Galleon from another battlezone, or something else I might realize later

2 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

Railjack missions in Earth Proxima take place roughly 950 km above Earth. This is roughly the height of Earth's exosphere, which if my read of Wikipedia is correct contains a sparse layer of gas-like molecules that are still gravitationally bound to Earth. In other words, a form of matter that the Railjack can collide with and lose momentum to

While that's technically true, the timeframe here for the kind of ships we're seeing is months to years, not seconds. ISS, for example, is FAR lower than that, and while it needs periodic boosts to keep itself in orbit, it's not at all like its thrusters are on 24/7.

4 hours ago, (XB1)Demon Intellect said:

Futurama.

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRECT!

...I don't have a prize, but enjoy this Zoidberg gif:

dr zoidberg futurama GIF

It's not like all our guns even have damage falloff. If you throw bullets around in free fight you can see some guns have damage falloff, some deal the same damage to debris in your face as it does to distant rocks 3 seconds away, and the cryophon doesn't break ornamental rocks at all. Overall it's not the first time we've broken the laws of physics, and it won't be the last. 

Everything's a lot more realistic when you deploy a black hole, though.

We've had Newtonian physics before with Archwing... Most players couldn't handle it and REEEEEed till DE switched it back to classic arcade mode.

Players like me who grew up with space games in the 90's (and very early 2000's) had no issues but we're a minority (or at least are quieter)

We want a "enable newtonian physics" option! But that would be unfair for arcade mode players, cause you could do crazy moves...but wait, we play PVE!

Edit: btw RJ loot sometimes has its "newtonian" moments and keeps flyn into the void

Am 15.1.2020 um 10:16 schrieb IamLoco:

It´s rather annoying if you have the sprint switch enabled. You boost, then the booster runs out, the Railjack gets magically reset to its former speed and then we need to press shift again to start the booster refill.

How about having to break manually after boosting (reverse throttle) and rather slowing the Railjack more from bumping into debris, fighters or asteroids, down to normal speed? 

Play Elite 2, the space sim for weirdos. If you love inertia that much, become a freighter captain.

On a more constructive note: with enough Pilot ranking (R7), a good engine and some avionics, your Railjack becomes nimble enough to react quickly in a 10km radius.

Aslong as we don't have to travel vast distances outside warp, the current system is a good balance. I expect faster engines in the future.

Current Railjack is but a testing ground to gather masses of data and feedback.

On 2020-01-15 at 10:16 AM, IamLoco said:

It´s rather annoying if you have the sprint switch enabled. You boost, then the booster runs out, the Railjack gets magically reset to its former speed and then we need to press shift again to start the booster refill.

How about having to break manually after boosting (reverse throttle) and rather slowing the Railjack more from bumping into debris, fighters or asteroids, down to normal speed? 

easy: because it makes the gameplay more intuitive and easier to understand.

if you ever played a games with realistic space physics you should know that realistic space physics suck when you try to fight another ship.

4 minutes ago, Helch0rn said:

easy: because it makes the gameplay more intuitive and easier to understand.

if you ever played a games with realistic space physics you should know that realistic space physics suck when you try to fight another ship.

I'd have to disagree, it makes it much better. Then I again I grew up playing games like that so I have a good spacial sense and lots of situational awareness.

Then again I guess that is why jet pilots are much harder to come by then ground pounders, it requires a much rarer set of natural ability.

58 minutes ago, Toran said:

Play Elite 2, the space sim for weirdos. If you love inertia that much, become a freighter captain.

If Elite 2 is for weirdos, I don't even know how you're going to classify all the kerbonauts out there or whatever fanbase Orbiter still has. E2's version of Newtonian physics was actually quite tame and had some fun and exploitable bugs (mostly involving autopilot on max time acceleration.) And, yes, space combat that was basically jousting with lasers in empty space.

The only way to explain it is interference from that massive void hole in the system, bending the laws of the physical universe (including time *cough duvari paradox*) aka space magic.

vor 50 Minuten schrieb nebfab:

If Elite 2 is for weirdos, I don't even know how you're going to classify all the kerbonauts out there or whatever fanbase Orbiter still has. E2's version of Newtonian physics was actually quite tame and had some fun and exploitable bugs (mostly involving autopilot on max time acceleration.) And, yes, space combat that was basically jousting with lasers in empty space.

Now imagine how much fun it would be jousting 90 Fighters for 5 hours for minimal rewards. At least you'd get docking BGM with your autopilot.😋

15 hours ago, More-L said:

They need to multiply the boost meter by at least 3 times and remove that mandatory super-dash afterwards. 90% of the time I just cruise without boosters when fighting enemies because if I actually try juke and maneuver around using drift I just shoot myself off 2km away from everything. Sure the dash can be useful, but it should be optional and require an input to achieve, and not strictly go forwards for a momentum shift that would rip anything to bits if you're drifting backwards.

my average time to reach an anomaly from spawn was about 10 seconds

not sure if I will be able to make that after the nerf though