Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Questions about Xbox Elite 2 Controller functionality

KaizergidorahXi

Question

17 answers to this question

No you can't rebind the paddles independently of other (standard controller) button mapping.  This is also true on controllers like the Razor Wolverine. So if your crouch is "A", you can map a paddle to "A" and it will be crouch. if you want to use crouch with a paddle - it MUST be mapped to a standard button somewhere, then that standard button in turn mapped to a paddle.

With the Elite II, you can configure a "Shift" function where say Paddle 1 maps to "X", but if you hold Paddle 2 to "shift", Paddle 1 can map to button "Y"

You can not map multiple concurrent buttons to a single paddle (i.e. LB+X to paddle 1).

You can map any button to a paddle (ie d-pad directional, bumpers, thumbstick depress etc.)

As a side note on personal preference xbox Elite II vs razor wolverine ultimate owning both

Elite II:

Pros: Better thumbstick feeling, wireless, better feeling triggers, trigger travel programmatic range adjusted for hair trigger settings.

Wolverine:

Pros: I like the x/y/b/a buttons feeling better, the bumpers feel infinitely more durable that the crap xbox design that always breaks, it has 6 programmable buttons (two add'l bumpers), 

Toss up:

paddles (MSFT) vs backside buttons (Razor) - I only have 3 paddles on Elite - all four leads to accidental presses for me - Razor's are far less obtrusive. On the other hand, I prefer the top paddle placement for easier reach than the razor buttons.  In my fantasy ideal world, I'd have Elite paddles that could be swapped to become buttons.

Other than both being overpriced, they are both great controllers that IMHO would be a no brainer buy at $100 - but 150+ is debatable.  but I've used paddle controllers for a few years now and don't think I could go back to a standard controller with out them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KaizergidorahXi said:

Or can you simply remap the individual controller buttons to actions that already exist on the controller?

The paddles simply remap the four face buttons (ABXY), so unless you have something bound to those it probably won't work. You might be able to use something like Xpadder to extend the pad functionality though (it's been a while since I've used it, but I believe you could add 'conditionals' to button presses to extend how they work (i.e. short button press for light attack, long button press for heavy, button combination for macro etc.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, (XB1)TwinStripeUK said:

The paddles simply remap the four face buttons (ABXY), so unless you have something bound to those it probably won't work. You might be able to use something like Xpadder to extend the pad functionality though (it's been a while since I've used it, but I believe you could add 'conditionals' to button presses to extend how they work (i.e. short button press for light attack, long button press for heavy, button combination for macro etc.)

Ah, dang. So I can't map the paddles to stuff like individual powers on PC or set one to Crouch or something?

4 minutes ago, KaizergidorahXi said:

Ah, dang. So I can't map the paddles to stuff like individual powers on PC or set one to Crouch or something?

You can map the RB and LB in addition to the face buttons, however it's just a mirror of an existing button function - you don't get 4 extra buttons with their own individual functions.

EDIT: I'll need to check, but I think the thumbstick 'clicks' are also mappable, because they count as buttons.

Edited by (XB1)TwinStripeUK
Additional info
  • Like 1

Just now, (XB1)TwinStripeUK said:

You can map the RB and LB in addition to the face buttons, however it's just a mirror of an existing button function - you don't get 4 extra buttons with their own individual functions.

Well that's mildly disappointing, but thank you so much for the info!

Just now, (XB1)TwinStripeUK said:

No problem - it's still a very, VERY good controller, and you may still be able to get what you're looking for by using reWASD or Xpadder for example, just not with the standard app.

I'm hopeful that the button mapping on PC may make a difference when I eventually get a Series 2 controller, but thank you so much for the help!

9 minutes ago, (XB1)Tucker D Dawg said:

No you can't rebind the paddles independently of other (standard controller) button mapping.  This is also true on controllers like the Razor Wolverine. So if your crouch is "A", you can map a paddle to "A" and it will be crouch. if you want to use crouch with a paddle - it MUST be mapped to a standard button somewhere, then that standard button in turn mapped to a paddle.

With the Elite II, you can configure a "Shift" function where say Paddle 1 maps to "X", but if you hold Paddle 2 to "shift", Paddle 1 can map to button "Y"

You can not map multiple concurrent buttons to a single paddle (i.e. LB+X to paddle 1).

You can map any button to a paddle (ie d-pad directional, bumpers, thumbstick depress etc.)

As a side note on personal preference xbox Elite II vs razor wolverine ultimate owning both

Elite II:

Pros: Better thumbstick feeling, wireless, better feeling triggers, trigger travel programmatic range adjusted for hair trigger settings.

Wolverine:

Pros: I like the x/y/b/a buttons feeling better, the bumpers feel infinitely more durable that the crap xbox design that always breaks, it has 6 programmable buttons (two add'l bumpers), 

Toss up:

paddles (MSFT) vs backside buttons (Razor) - I only have 3 paddles on Elite - all four leads to accidental presses for me - Razor's are far less obtrusive. On the other hand, I prefer the top paddle placement for easier reach than the razor buttons.  In my fantasy ideal world, I'd have Elite paddles that could be swapped to become buttons.

Other than both being overpriced, they are both great controllers that IMHO would be a no brainer buy at $100 - but 150+ is debatable.  but I've used paddle controllers for a few years now and don't think I could go back to a standard controller with out them.

So you can map the paddles to any button that exists on the controller, but can't map them to anything that isn't bound? Can you map them to things like clicking in the right stick for alt fire?

4 minutes ago, KaizergidorahXi said:

So you can map the paddles to any button that exists on the controller, but can't map them to anything that isn't bound? Can you map them to things like clicking in the right stick for alt fire?

Correct - paddles are only mapped to existing buttons. I don't know of any game that even recognizes their existence and allows for direct mapping.

and yes, clicking the sticks counts as a button and can be mapped. In fact that is my most common remap in any game - I hate games that click the join stick to zoom for example making you inaccurate since you are pushing in on it. And sprint etc. or any function that requires HOLDING in a joystick.

EDIT TO ADD: Obviously since it is mapping a paddle to a "button", the original functionality of the button is not changed. So if you map pad1 to button "A", pressing pad1 OR button A will result in performing button A action.

Edited by (XB1)Tucker D Dawg

5 minutes ago, (XB1)Tucker D Dawg said:

Correct - paddles are only mapped to existing buttons. I don't know of any game that even recognizes their existence and allows for direct mapping.

and yes, clicking the sticks counts as a button and can be mapped. In fact that is my most common remap in any game - I hate games that click the join stick to zoom for example making you inaccurate since you are pushing in on it. And sprint etc. or any function that requires HOLDING in a joystick.

EDIT TO ADD: Obviously since it is mapping a paddle to a "button", the original functionality of the button is not changed. So if you map pad1 to button "A", pressing pad1 OR button A will result in performing button A action.

Awesome, that's exactly what I was hoping for, although the flexability of being able to completely remap would be nice too. 

1 minute ago, (XB1)Tucker D Dawg said:

yes although you can see the problem here: each game designer would have to program for each controller manufacturer (msft/razor/scuff/etc) to allow increased binding. 

Or the controller manufacturers could agree to a system similar to what is used for the extra buttons on PC mice. Though it would require console manufacturers to add that functionality to the drivers, so that the new inputs are recognized. At least if the consoles themselves had the functionality it would force all controller manufacturers to conform to a single system or not have the functionality.

1 minute ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

Or the controller manufacturers could agree to a system similar to what is used for the extra buttons on PC mice. Though it would require console manufacturers to add that functionality to the drivers, so that the new inputs are recognized. At least if the consoles themselves had the functionality it would force all controller manufacturers to conform to a single system or not have the functionality.

yeah there are a few scenarios that could make it work - although devs would still have to be willing to allow for it.  And one of the big pushbacks on consoles at least for any customized inputs is that it creates an uneven playing field - one of the reasons so many game developers didn't want to allow kvm on console.

5 hours ago, (XB1)Tucker D Dawg said:

This is why I mapped certain button actions to dpad and then mapped those actions to the paddles.  Kinda allows me to not ever take my thumb off the left analog stick.  I put jump, alt fire, and 2 warframe powers on the paddles by mapping those to the dpad.  😄  

17 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

This is why I mapped certain button actions to dpad and then mapped those actions to the paddles.  Kinda allows me to not ever take my thumb off the left analog stick.  I put jump, alt fire, and 2 warframe powers on the paddles by mapping those to the dpad.  😄  

I had thought about that but I use the Dpad enough I didn't want to sacrifice it. (AW deployer for Eidolon, WP marker, Energy pie, Gear wheel) - and sometimes if doing a really long mission i'll remove AWdeploy and sub in ability 1,2,3 or 4 or something depending on the frame I'm using.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, (XB1)Tucker D Dawg said:

I had thought about that but I use the Dpad enough I didn't want to sacrifice it. (AW deployer for Eidolon, WP marker, Energy pie, Gear wheel) - and sometimes if doing a really long mission i'll remove AWdeploy and sub in ability 1,2,3 or 4 or something depending on the frame I'm using.

Oh for those, I assigned those to the number buttons on my chatpad.  Ha.  Except the gear wheel.  That one I left as default.