Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Getting back to the core game...ninja combat!

Phrolic

First, let me start by saying that my comments are an attempt to get the developers back on track and not flame the community.

This is a great game, but there are HUGE amount of development resources being spent on systems that do not make this a better game (FISHING, MINING, CONSERVATION, Flappy Bird, whatever the new guitar thing is....REALLY DE?). All this development time could have been MUCH better spent creating new frames, new mission types, dynamic missions, new weapons, new open worlds, new tile sets, Empyrean about a year ago, melee 3.0 a year ago too. The possibilities are endless...instead...you took one of the best combat games and put in mining, fishing, conservation and a useless guitar thing. I am gobsmacked.

This game advertises "Ninja's play free"....sounds great...and IS great when you do missions with combat. BUT it turns into being awful when you are forced to do non-combat activities. I have ZERO interest in fishing, mining, conservation, etc. so please do not MAKE me do them. There is so much potential here that is being squandered by decisions to create systems that take away from the amazing combat, Warframe and weapon customization, crazy good movement etc.

There have been improvements to combat (melee 3.0, the vision of Empyrean, etc.) but the pace of these releases has been impacted by a lack of focus on what makes Warframe great.

So...DE...get back to the core game. Stop making all these non-combat activities and put all your efforts to making the core combat experience better. 

• Like 1

The point of fishing is twofold. One, to show you really are the biggest badass in the solar system if you can beat the locals at their own game, and two to show you are an amazing hero if you're taking time out of your schedule to help feed the local homeless shelter soup kitchen

But DE have already answered this prayer. You can get fish from combat, by killing Tusk Thumpers or the Orb Mother boss fights

Just now, TARINunit9 said:

The point of fishing is twofold. One, to show you really are the biggest badass in the solar system if you can beat the locals at their own game, and two to show you are an amazing hero if you're taking time out of your schedule to help feed the local homeless shelter soup kitchen

But DE have already answered this prayer. You can get fish from combat, by killing Tusk Thumpers or the Orb Mother boss fights

Yeah I don't think there's anything left to say

+1 for the biggest badass

Technically we aren't even ninjas. As a matter of fact, simulating into everyday life of different cultures is probably the most ninja thing we've done recently.

But semantics aside because I know what you are driving at. It would be nice to get some reworks and polish on the current core of the game. Ultimately though, this is DE's game and they can do whatever they want for all I care. The space guitar and the smaller gimmicks took out barely any development time so I don't really care about that. What's really sucking out DE's time is Railjack and the upcoming story content which I would assume would be at the core of their focus for this year and possibly next.

Don't hold your breathe.

• Like 1

do you REALLY think that fishing, mining, and conservation (not to mention the other two, which im 95% sure were made in some dudes free time anyways) delayed emperyean by a year? if they had an impact on it, it would be measured in days at the absolute most. Besides, as already mentioned, you can get fishing & mining resources from specific enemies already, and conservation....is mainly floofs.

The fishing, mining, shawzin, etc.. it's all engaging a different aspect of the player base. They took remarkably little of the effort and time away from development. With the exception of shawzin, those side features were not their own release.. they were tertiary add on to a vastly larger update. Not everyone is compelled by the rat race for loot, the constant grind of murder. Not everyone's having the kind of day where competing is important to them.. so for those players, it is important to have these little detours; it invites those interested to explore and appreciate the little details in the game's world and be more compelled by and invested in the universe.. not just it's loot.

That said, even a casual player like myself would enjoy some vastly more complex combat scenarios... because even through combat mechanics, people should be able to explore or grind the way they want across the whole game. I was personally hopefully that Frame Fighter meant we were getting some fighting game style combat.. however THOSE... Those take a Massive amount of time and effort away from developing the main story (something they've been chipping away at for nearly a decade) which directly affects player attendance when it's not addressed regularly. It would be great to see some flavors of new combat systems worked into stances.. sadly those are time and money sinks that they cannot sustain, else players drop off so hard in the meantime, they'll never recover the money spent.

Like, "Is it too much to ask for some combat like Soul Calibur? Or Bayonetta? Assassin's Creed? Street Fighter? etc. etc.." Yes. Yes it is, unfortunately, or else they'd almost certainly have done it long ago. They like videogames, too. ...but they also have to produce this one around the constraints of running a multimillion dollar international business, while still have lives outside of work. The good news is.. even though it feels like it (sometimes for years) they're not abandoning incomplete systems, as much as they have to wait.. because they have to.

Edited by kapn655321

I love this game but in my opinion it has never been anywhere near one of the best combat games. I would compare it to putting on full body armor and grabbing a rocket launcher to go out in the backyard and kill ants. You need to beat something powerful in order to feel powerful. Solo tri caps are the only thing close to a challenge in this game. The way the difficulity in the game works is one second you are at full health/sheilds/armor the next you are flat on your back wondering what hit you not much combat in that. Don't get me wrong at this point with so many resources to grind the last thing the game needs is challenging combat although at some point it would be nice to have some new enemies in a new area that truly put your skills to the test. It would be nice to have enemies that have good AI and can move like warframes in an area you could put parkour skills to use with a different damage model where actual combat could take place. I also think there was a huge opportunity missed with the k drive it could have been fun to at least melee from it. There could have had enemies on hovercrafts chasing you around doing battle, new exciting game modes, death races PVE or even PVP. But look at the bright side we got floofs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phrolic said:

This is a great game, but there are HUGE amount of development resources being spent on systems that do not make this a better game (FISHING, MINING, CONSERVATION, Flappy Bird, whatever the new guitar thing is....REALLY DE?)...new open worlds...

I mean, I get the idea that some things you don't like, but that's the reality of anything.  Not everyone will like something.  Also, even if you like something, you might not like certain parts of things.

Specifically to that quote though, what would open world be if there wasn't fishing/mining/conservation?  It'd just be a ginormous tile just like every other tile.  (TBH it kinda is, since everything appears to have fixed spawns anyways, but at least it's more dynamic with those added elements).

I don't particularly like mining or fishing but when I want to get a new weapon it's nice to have something that says "Lets do something new" instead of "Hey, wanna run your 10^6th mars exterminate?"

I've never thought much about the shawzin, but if I didn't have netflix/hulu/cable/etc on next to my computer i'd probably really like it since it'd be something to do while waiting for people at extraction.

DE do it because they don't want warframe to be a one-trick pony. in the grand scheme of things, I too mainly stay for the combat: there's no other game like Warframe that lets me use everything from medieval weapons to laser guns and just go to town on some fools. but it is also nice to see the universe of the game get expanded. it's also important to consider that the Tenno want to be more than just warriors: yes, they are the ultimate badasses in the system, but they also want to learn other skills and not just be defined by how many people they can cut through in one sword-stroke.

Well said OP. 

The game has become stagnant and boring because the last few years have been focused on systems that take us out of our frames/arsenals.

Operators, eidolons, profit taker, railjack. Even the kuva lich system is designed to avoid a direct 1vs1 encounter in lieu of a RNG quick time event.

I'm tired of the indie arthouse experimental phase of this game. I'd like to see a refocus on the core game as well.

The games engine is getting old, we're still using p2p in 2020, I don't think the game has enough shelf life left in it to waste time on all these goofy, disconnected minigames.

Edited by IIDMOII

well i remember a couple years ago people complaining that they were tired of doing the same thing over and over again, there are players who will loot all boxes and players that wont stop pressing "e" the whole mission, some players are ok with this some dont. I dont think many of the things they have made are that intrusive, and we have alternatives for some of them now.

I dont mind that some parts of the studio takes a bit of time in doing something fun for them, while they work on the normal updates, probably helps with the sanity at the work place.

6 hours ago, Phrolic said:

First, let me start by saying that my comments are an attempt to get the developers back on track and not flame the community.

This is a great game, but there are HUGE amount of development resources being spent on systems that do not make this a better game (FISHING, MINING, CONSERVATION, Flappy Bird, whatever the new guitar thing is....REALLY DE?). All this development time could have been MUCH better spent creating new frames, new mission types, dynamic missions, new weapons, new open worlds, new tile sets, Empyrean about a year ago, melee 3.0 a year ago too. The possibilities are endless...instead...you took one of the best combat games and put in mining, fishing, conservation and a useless guitar thing. I am gobsmacked.

This game advertises "Ninja's play free"....sounds great...and IS great when you do missions with combat. BUT it turns into being awful when you are forced to do non-combat activities. I have ZERO interest in fishing, mining, conservation, etc. so please do not MAKE me do them. There is so much potential here that is being squandered by decisions to create systems that take away from the amazing combat, Warframe and weapon customization, crazy good movement etc.

There have been improvements to combat (melee 3.0, the vision of Empyrean, etc.) but the pace of these releases has been impacted by a lack of focus on what makes Warframe great.

So...DE...get back to the core game. Stop making all these non-combat activities and put all your efforts to making the core combat experience better. 

Min/max features are part of the strategy to keep money coming in...

Having said that, for a long time DE has tried to diversify with “different but equal” core game features.

Nothing has measured up to core combat.  I hope The New War gets back to the “bread and butter” that made/makes Warframe great.