Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is the reason to play warframe from steam?

I keep seeing people in the forum using steam number for whatever their agenda is, but I don't see any reason for a cheapskate like me to spend a bit of my RAM just to open a program in background to play a game.

Other than tennogen, what is the advantage I get from playing on steam over the standalone launcher? I see no reason for that yet.

10 minutes ago, 844448 said:

Other than tennogen,

BOI. fashionframe is endgame, that's all there is to it. people use steam because they know this and Tennogen gives you an edge in making yourself look awesome.

really hope for another Tennogen update on consoles, I've seen some stuff people are working on that I really want, like Kuvael Ivara...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 844448 said:

Other than tennogen, what is the advantage I get from playing on steam over the standalone launcher? I see no reason for that yet.

Other than Tennogen? There's no benefit.

I've used standalone since before it was on steam and only now that there's Tennogen and achievements, do I run it on steam. Just to you know, see what's new in Tennogen, and when there's a new achievement, get it on steam is about it.

You can convert back and forth you know? I use this method all the time --->> 

That's my personal list

1. i can buy tennogen stuff 
  2. i can use steam wallet money because ppl (wife and parents ^^) tend to gift me steam gift cards occasionally
  3. payment through steam is easier because my CC card is already saved there
  4. Screenshot managment 
  5. Statistics (playtime, weekly playtime) and achievment hunting
  6. all my friends are there and I can say hello while playing
  7. integreated voice group chat in steam for friends even when we play different games
  8. steam guides section for warframe guides
  9. Cloud sync includes control files (new PC install keeps my existing control scheme)
  10. to read all dev news for games I currently play on a single page

Edited by k05h
  • Like 2

2 reasons I use steam for:

• all my 500+ games are residing in steam
  • whenever I want to reset my system, delete the game from system for a while or move the game installation between my many computers, it is as easy as moving back and forth the game folder to a another disk.

8 hours ago, Emolition said:

I would say it's an advantage to use the standalone for those days when steam refuse to work not letting you login you will be locked out off all games for that duration.

This, not that i have had issues with WF not working but a small number of other games i play have over time stopped working for whatever reason on steam and having the the stand alone has meant being able to play them.

It's convenient as game library, and a community service. You see your friends playing, them to you. Media sharing, streaming etc. I can play my games from my phone or someone's firestick with steam link

Steams footprint is practically unnoticeable unless you have a potato. So for me, no point not to.

9 hours ago, 844448 said:

, but I don't see any reason for a cheapskate like me to spend a bit of my RAM just to open a program in background to play a game.

Actually it saves RAM for me, instead of my main browser with kajillion open tabs I can use one in the Steam overlay. Also, and this is very niche, if you use Linux, Steam is a bit more straightforward to set up to run Warframe through SteamPlay than the alternate method (it's still not 100% plug-and-play.)

Edited by nebfab

so....  

9 hours ago, 844448 said:

I don't see any reason for a cheapskate like me to spend a bit of my RAM just to open a program in background to play a game.

What are you playing on?   Warframe uses about 2GB of memory (just checked), Steam is undoubtedly ridiculously thick at around 200MB with all it's little sub processes - and the OS (without a bunch of other stuff running in the system tray mind you) should be using around 1.5  - 2GB.    So unless your playing on a bare bones min spec system that's REALLY old - your probably running at least 8 GB - leaving what - about 50% of your RAM free.  So who cares if another 200MB client sits in memory? Youd be at what - 39% free? having that RAM sit empty does absolutely nothing for you.   The real memory that makes a big performance difference for you is the stuff attached to your GPU, and steam doesn't touch it.