Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fusing Reflex Guard To Max, And The Role Of Ten-Rank Mods

Da_Big_D__

8suB5To.png

See it fused:

Reflex Guard, for the unaware, is the first Rare ten-rank mod in the game. As anyone who has tried to upgrade their Serration or Redirection is aware, the cost of each rank grows exponentially, meaning that the last few ranks on these ten-rank mods take enormous amounts of time and [fusion] energy to achieve.

Some may also be aware that as a mods rarity increases, so too does its fusion energy costs - in fact the growth here is also exponential, meaning that a rare mod will take twice as much energy to level as compared to an Uncommon mod of the same rank, or four times as much energy as a Common mod of the same rank.

Prior to patch 9.7, there were only 8 ten-rank mods: these were generally staples, very important mods that would be the anchor of whatever build you chose to run with on your weapon or Warframe. Aside from the Steel Fibers, they were and are essential.

9.7, of course, introduced Equilibrium. Its use, though perhaps somewhat niche, was clear. Still, one must ask why this was a mod that deserved 10 ranks; is the benefit of getting 2 more health from an Energy orb really worth the investment of 200 or 400 Fusion Cores at a time? It strikes me as hard to justify, especially when you consider that the mod doesn't even work as one would expect - it prevents you from picking up an Energy Orb if you need the Health but NOT the Energy, and vice versa.

Update 10 brought us two more ten-rank mods. The first, Provoked, adds damage while the player is down; in a game where there are already an enormous number of "planning for failure" mods (something that many, especially those who played EVE Online, will discourage), did we really need a Fusion sink that is conditional and contingent on the players own mistakes to this extreme degree?

The second ten-rank, of course: Reflex Guard. I won't discuss how impossibly not-worthwhile the entire blocking system is here (others have done so elsewhere, and better, I'm sure), but I will say that it is incredibly disappointed that the first rare ten-rank mod would be so utterly without value.

So how do you feel about ten-rank mods? Do you think that DE is on the right track with them? Should they be more common, or less? Should ten-rank mods remain reserved for more worthwhile functions (such as those filled by Serration or Redirection), or should they be subject to the same bloat of uselessness that has afflicted the mod pool as a whole (meaning more in the vein of Provoked and Reflex Guard)?

Edited by Da_Big_D__

I'm still trying to figure out how blocking 50% of the attacks against me (ranged and melee?) automatically is a bad thing.

also "Where does this drop?" will be asked, so you might as well answer.

Because it's blocking using the block feature, which barely reduces damage at all. And in this case, it can effectively stun lock you when you're under heavy fire, a situation where just running is a better solution.

I'm still trying to figure out how blocking 50% of the attacks against me (ranged and melee?) automatically is a bad thing.

that isnt a bad thing, but the steep leveling cost is for the little return you get compared to the immeditate results from other survivability mods is a bad thing.

Considering that everyones builds already focus around Redirection and Vitality, those are easier to level to max for a constant result.

This is only a low % based chance to proc, for an insanely higher cost. You are essentially putting all your faith into the RNG gods with anything % reactive based.

Also given that we know little about certain mods and how they work because no one at DE gives us a straight answer. Its all guess work and datamined and experimentation to figure out how stuff kinda works. We dont have a data/combat parser too see what happens with all our numbers during a fight.

And maybe if the % was higher (like 75-80% at rank 10) it might be a decent add-on to your load out. But right now as the system works, its a gamble and mod points are better spent elsewhere

We dont have a data/combat parser too see what happens with all our numbers during a fight.

So that's really the reason.

Since it's a passive/automatic ability, the effects aren't felt and therefore do not seem of value.

As for the price: It's fine in my opinion. Experienced players are able to drop 1.5 million and 1000s of mods every month or so if they play regularly.

Example: Opening poster

Once they re-vamp block, or add a visual indicator showing the attack being blocked/numerical values then it will act like it's intended to.

I don't know hard hard it is to block with keyboard and mouse but with a controller blocking and doing whatever else you want or need to do is very easy, and on top of that you have the freedom to block or not block whenever you want, thus using up your stamina when you want to.

If it's a pain to do on mouse and keyboard I can kind of see it's worth but if not I don't see why it exists/why it has to cost so much.

I'm actually a fan of 10 ranks mods. To me it would be ideal for every mod in the game to start at 2 cost and have 10 ranks. That would give players much more fine tuning than the current system.

I would definitely agree with this, but it would have to be much easier to reach Rank 10. I think I finally maxed serration after about 250 hours mission time.

Autoblocking is crippling because it drains stamina, is only a frontal block which doesn't reduce damage as much as you'd like to think and under sustained fire, it cancels all animations; reloading, aiming, shooting, melee attacks.

That's where the stunlock comes from.

Basically running to cover or shooting the enemy outright would be better than the current block system.

Edited by kLai

The scaling is fine to me. I see too many threads about how everything needs to be easier (not saying yours is one of them), when the only result to that is playing the game for a shorter period of time. The grind doesn't need to be shorter, the grind needs to be fun to do, etc. 

As for the mod itself I don't see the point. Blocking alone doesn't do much by itself and I'd rather have the freedom to block when I want to block instead of the game having a chance to do it for me. 

You're undervaluing/misunderstanding Equilibrium too. Too many people get the mod and then are disappointed that the health orbs won't restore energy unless you are already damaged. Even if it did restore energy regardless of health it would be a silly mod choice given the frequency of blue orbs and the rarity of health orbs ANYWAY. The real purpose of Equilibrium is that it restores *health* when you pick up an energy orb which are, again, all over the place. The infestation and their Toxic Ancients that used to be such a hassle to deal with in a long defense/survival mission are now something you can actually recover from. The amount of situations where you are scrambling for a red health orb after a hard encounter are *significantly* reduced. Equilibrium is a good mod because it gives you a very easy way to restore your HEALTH. I consider the extra energy a small bonus on top of that. 

The scaling is fine to me. I see too many threads about how everything needs to be easier (not saying yours is one of them), when the only result to that is playing the game for a shorter period of time. The grind doesn't need to be shorter, the grind needs to be fun to do, etc. 

As for the mod itself I don't see the point. Blocking alone doesn't do much by itself and I'd rather have the freedom to block when I want to block instead of the game having a chance to do it for me. 

You're undervaluing/misunderstanding Equilibrium too. Too many people get the mod and then are disappointed that the health orbs won't restore energy unless you are already damaged. Even if it did restore energy regardless of health it would be a silly mod choice given the frequency of blue orbs and the rarity of health orbs ANYWAY. The real purpose of Equilibrium is that it restores *health* when you pick up an energy orb which are, again, all over the place. The infestation and their Toxic Ancients that used to be such a hassle to deal with in a long defense/survival mission are now something you can actually recover from. The amount of situations where you are scrambling for a red health orb after a hard encounter are *significantly* reduced. Equilibrium is a good mod because it gives you a very easy way to restore your HEALTH. I consider the extra energy a small bonus on top of that. 

Equilibrium can be considered another useful mod, besides health and energy stacking, for the Quick Thinking + Rage combo, as your energy and HP gets combined into one nearly immortal "effective HP" bar.

I used to think that Rank 10 mods were the future, and a way of encouraging harder content by awarding higher level Fusion Cores for higher level enemies, giving us some semblance of a difficulty curve in this game. Now they're going to have vertical weapon progression it's pretty irrelevant. Just keep on giving us stronger weapons.