Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] Iris, Void Dancer

Mugentsuki

Iris would be based around Void Damage abilities and some operator support as well. This is an old Idea I posted (way back on page 20 something) that I have since reworked. Anybody willing to contribute art ideas would be appreciated. The concept look is a more lithe, female frame, with an ethereal air about her, something in-between Wisp and Titania.

Abilities are as follows...

Passive - When switching to operator form, Iris doesn't leave behind her body but instead becomes a sort of cloak or mantle over the operator, granting the operator half Iris's armor and shields. (This also would cause the companion to follow the operator instead of floating there by an unmoving body). Void damage has a chance to proc, debuffing enemies to take 10% more damage from all sources and deal 10% less damage.

Ability 1 - Teleport - a short distance teleport that, upon arriving at destination, does a pulse of void damage.

Ability 2 - Void Infusion - for 40 seconds gain 20% increased weapon damage in the form of void damage. Allies within range gain 10% increased weapon damage.

Ability 3 - Void Step - Sustained, invisible and intangible for the duration. Upon leaving the void state gain a critical chance boost (Void Ingenuity) depending on how long you spent in the void state.

ALTERNATE Ability 3 - Void Static - Iris is surrounded by a static field that reduces the damage she takes by 10%. This ability can be reactivated to launch the field forward, dealing void damage equal to the amount it absorbed. This ability stacks with itself for each instance of Transference Static currently active on Iris.

Ability 4 - Void Singularity - Create a void singularity that pulls in enemies and crushes them together. This field slowly shrinks similar to Limbo's Cataclysm. Damage increases based on number of enemies caught in singularity as well as while it 'compresses'.

Edited by Mugentsuki
Alterations to abilities
  • Like 3

That passive is awesome, other worldly level of creativity!!!

Initially I was weirded out at the concept of void damage since it doesn't have any + multipliers but now I'm thinking if you meant for the 20% increase (10% for allies) through Void infusion to act as a replacement for amps in Eidolon flights. I'm not a big eidolon guy but if that is your intention I don't think it's the best idea. Making a huge part of open world grind completely irrelevant would suck and I don't think it's something DE would realistically be willing to do. I understand void damage is a big part of the concept and frankly I love it conceptually but practically I don't know if it would work.

Edited by Be_Stupid

1 hour ago, Be_Stupid said:

Initially I was weirded out at the concept of void damage since it doesn't have any + multipliers but now I'm thinking if you meant for the 20% increase (10% for allies) through Void infusion to act as a replacement for amps in Eidolon flights. I'm not a big eidolon guy but if that is your intention I don't think it's the best idea. Making a huge part of open world grind completely irrelevant would suck and I don't think it's something DE would realistically be willing to do. I understand void damage is a big part of the concept and frankly I love it conceptually but practically I don't know if it would work.

I didn't even think of the Eidolons, honestly, I thought of it as more of a damage buff that nothing has resistances to so it would have universal effectivity. Although, considering that some amps deal non-void damage, I wonder if the conditions for damaging Eidolon shields is void damage itself or Operator form. After all, the health bar changes color when switching to operator, but without knowing the true conditions in the code I wouldn't be able to say for sure.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mugentsuki said:

Although, considering that some amps deal non-void damage, I wonder if the conditions for damaging Eidolon shields is void damage itself or Operator form.

Void damage is a requirement, try using a Virtuos Trojan or any similar arcane which changes the damage type of an amp. Doing so causes amps to do 0 damage to Eidolon shields (I'm the guy who always forgets to take them off before night time so I would know 😞). Same thing applies to the Ropalolyst so you can try that if you don't want to wait for the night cycle. As for whether you are required to be in operator form, there's no real way to test that until something like your frame or a weapon that deals void damage is created... BUT the only way for DE to be consistent is to make void damage from any source work. Whether you intended it or not, the void damage would damage the shields of Eidolons from what I understand. There may be some lore explanation or something like it to explain why only operators can damage eidolon shields but I wouldn't know (the lore is boring at times)

Once again, I absolutely love the concept and that passive blew me out of the water! 

22 hours ago, Mugentsuki said:

Limbo's Cataclysm

Yeah, that's my big issue here: her 3 and her 4 look dangerously close to muscling into Limbo's own gimmick. If I were in you I'd try and go for some better, more unique designs, and I in particularly would steer clear of "you run around while invulnerable/intangible" kind of abilities, for two reasons:

1) You already have a teleport ability, and

2) The whole point here is to encourage to switch to Operator mode a lot, with the passive actively supporting doing so... And well, the Operator already has his/her own version of a "you run around while invulnerable/intangible" ability.

So yeah, make your 3 and your 4 more unique, possibly featuring some solid internal synergy with her 2, which from my point of view is an excellent ability, capable of venturing in a still unexplored design niche. This is my advice: that said, I like the passive and the first two abilities a lot, and the concept as a whole is definitely clever and unique, so by all means do keep at it!

[DE] is definitely trying to be restrictive with the void damage type. The balance of any high level content will be changed heavily in the games current state. Sentient, which are designed to pose a problem for player even with max rank gear, will effectively lose their ability to adapt to damage types because of the constant resistance reset caused by any team with an Iris.

The potential amount of void damage that Iris can let players dish out is very high, and with high status weapon equipped, a whole room of enemies will be turned into ever absorbant bullet sponges, by their bullet attractor proccs. Plus Condition Overload and Growing Power builds would become more broken than they seem to be already.

Then based on lore..I am not sure true void damage would make sense for a warframe to posses control of.

The Orokin had the abiliy to travel through the void, but only the Tenno and the Man in the wall appear to truely be able to channel its energy into Warframe's material universe. 

If you want it to be a sentient killer frame, you could pull something like the Parastesis* and have it do damage, with select void attributes, but not be void damage. I personally would love to have the bullet attractor generator, but that is because of my inner munchkin. 

5 hours ago, TearsOfTomorrow said:

Yeah, that's my big issue here: her 3 and her 4 look dangerously close to muscling into Limbo's own gimmick. If I were in you I'd try and go for some better, more unique designs, and I in particularly would steer clear of "you run around while invulnerable/intangible" kind of abilities, for two reasons:

1) You already have a teleport ability, and

2) The whole point here is to encourage to switch to Operator mode a lot, with the passive actively supporting doing so... And well, the Operator already has his/her own version of a "you run around while invulnerable/intangible" ability.

So yeah, make your 3 and your 4 more unique, possibly featuring some solid internal synergy with her 2, which from my point of view is an excellent ability, capable of venturing in a still unexplored design niche. This is my advice: that said, I like the passive and the first two abilities a lot, and the concept as a whole is definitely clever and unique, so by all means do keep at it!

Another idea that I wanted to include but wasn't sure how...

Ability 3 - Void Static - Iris is surrounded by a static field that reduces the damage she takes by 10%. This ability can be reactivated to launch the field forward, dealing void damage equal to the amount it absorbed. This ability stacks with itself for each instance of Transference Static currently active on Iris.

In regard to ability 4, it's intended less like Limbos Cataclysm and more like Vauban's 4 after the rework. Please note that this ability was imagined up prior to the rework. The only way it's similar to Limbo's Cataclysm is that its area of effect shrinks (dealing increased damage as it does). If I do have another decent idea though, like Void Static for 3, I will update.

5 hours ago, Lukarith said:

[DE] is definitely trying to be restrictive with the void damage type. The balance of any high level content will be changed heavily in the games current state. Sentient, which are designed to pose a problem for player even with max rank gear, will effectively lose their ability to adapt to damage types because of the constant resistance reset caused by any team with an Iris.

The potential amount of void damage that Iris can let players dish out is very high, and with high status weapon equipped, a whole room of enemies will be turned into ever absorbant bullet sponges, by their bullet attractor proccs. Plus Condition Overload and Growing Power builds would become more broken than they seem to be already.

Then based on lore..I am not sure true void damage would make sense for a warframe to posses control of.

Reveal hidden contents

The Orokin had the abiliy to travel through the void, but only the Tenno and the Man in the wall appear to truely be able to channel its energy into Warframe's material universe. 

If you want it to be a sentient killer frame, you could pull something like the Parastesis* and have it do damage, with select void attributes, but not be void damage. I personally would love to have the bullet attractor generator, but that is because of my inner munchkin. 

You have a really good point. Unfortunately, I can't think of a way to alter the damage type without creating a new element or having to entirely change the flavor of the frame. If you have any ideas, I'm all ears.

2 minutes ago, Mugentsuki said:

Ability 3 - Void Static - Iris is surrounded by a static field that reduces the damage she takes by 10%. This ability can be reactivated to launch the field forward, dealing void damage equal to the amount it absorbed. This ability stacks with itself for each instance of Transference Static currently active on Iris.

It's difficult for me to comment on this, because to this day I have yet to figure out what the Transference Static is supposed to actually do (I enjoy running around with 'frames and don't actually do things that involve the Operator unless forced, I'm caught up with the plot and 5 maps away from Arbitrations and yet I'm still stuck with a rank 16 Mote Amp, sue me). As a general rule of thumb, however, turning a liability into a resource (because Transference Static kicks in when your operator gets "killed" so I guess it's meant to be a liability?) is something that can easily become OP, because it will encourage people to act recklessly, make sucidal decisions, and actually be REWARDED for it.

7 minutes ago, TearsOfTomorrow said:

It's difficult for me to comment on this, because to this day I have yet to figure out what the Transference Static is supposed to actually do (I enjoy running around with 'frames and don't actually do things that involve the Operator unless forced, I'm caught up with the plot and 5 maps away from Arbitrations and yet I'm still stuck with a rank 16 Mote Amp, sue me). As a general rule of thumb, however, turning a liability into a resource (because Transference Static kicks in when your operator gets "killed" so I guess it's meant to be a liability?) is something that can easily become OP, because it will encourage people to act recklessly, make sucidal decisions, and actually be REWARDED for it.

"The Warframe is... inflicted with a debuff named Transference Static, which depletes all their shields and reduces their maximum health by 10%. This debuff lasts for 45 seconds; additional Static will not refresh the timer, but rather stack on top of it further reducing maximum health up to 4 times."

At max static the frame would therefore have 40% less health but 50% damage negation, which is actually pretty on par with other frames defensive abilities. I personally never got my mote amp that high as the thing is garbage. As soon as I could I switched to a constructed amp and the difference is insane. I personally main Limbo and a common (and very cheap) method I often employ when doing sortie missions is to leave him in limbo and do combat with the operator. What does reduced health matter if you literally cannot take damage?

That aside, the point of this 3 is to counteract the penalty so as to encourage operator use, reckless or otherwise.When it comes to defenses, it's actually weaker than many of the other frames I've seen. Zephyr redirects bullets, Rhino just multiplies his health pool immensely, Ivara turns invisible, Limbo turns intangible, Volt, Frost, and Garuda all create complete damage blocking shields, the list goes on. Compared to these I personally don't see much room for exploitation, and because of intensity I could see a hidden cap of 80% or 90% reduction. That, or a multiplicative stack instead of additional stack would prevent it from ever hitting 100%. To prevent sudden loss of protection, stacks of Transference Static could be retained for the duration of Void Static.