Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Water & Underwater Swimming In A New Map?

GkarB5

I'd like to see a new map where our warframes must swim underwater to get from one part of the level to the other.

Another idea is to have some types of underwater monsters or aquatic drones chasing us while we're swimming underwater to the next part of the level.

I asked about this in a live stream a while back. And previous to that I pm:ed DE about it. Never got a clear answer but it seemed like it could be something they'd consider.

As mentioned above it is a rather hard thing to implement and making it have "the right feel to it".

In my pm/mail I suggested it as a tactical thing, an obstacle if you will. But also as something to make more interesting maps.

Perhaps warframes are made of something light, or the engineers of the future Created some other fancy tech to aid in under water areas?

I asked about this in a live stream a while back. And previous to that I pm:ed DE about it. Never got a clear answer but it seemed like it could be something they'd consider.

As mentioned above it is a rather hard thing to implement and making it have "the right feel to it".

In my pm/mail I suggested it as a tactical thing, an obstacle if you will. But also as something to make more interesting maps.

Perhaps warframes are made of something light, or the engineers of the future Created some other fancy tech to aid in under water areas?

Swimming is possible but, it doesn't have to be a full water maps. I'm going to make a new thread about it, Some ideas for DE can consider on.

Edited by Makemap

Swimming is possible but, it doesn't have to be a full water maps. I'm going to make a new thread about it, Some ideas for DE can consider on.

I thought of it as flooded areas, or alternate paths to areas. It's also a good way to add some secret areas. Especially if you have a air-timer under water (this could be the way to make stamina useful for real).

Water could also be a tactical "nerf" where some weapons won't work. This hopefully could create some team play moments where allies cover each other on some "fire islands" along the way.

There could of course be creatures and enemy units in the water too.

I honestly can't think of many games that got underwater levels right.

I've only seen one game so far, where swimming felt natural, and that was Age of Wulin. It's got the little problem that you can't sheath your weapon while swimming, but other than that they just got it right.

Looking at the frames, I can't imagine them swimming, either. Rhino, for example, is too limited in his movement for swimming. Saryn's epaulettes would inhibit her. So I rather see them walking under water.

Especially if you have a air-timer under water (this could be the way to make stamina useful for real).

Since water has much higher resistance, you'd use stamina for walking fully submerged. The "air-timer" could be the same as with broken windows - your shields slowly depleting until your health is affected when you run out of air.

I thought of it as flooded areas, or alternate paths to areas. It's also a good way to add some secret areas. Especially if you have a air-timer under water (this could be the way to make stamina useful for real).

Water could also be a tactical "nerf" where some weapons won't work. This hopefully could create some team play moments where allies cover each other on some "fire islands" along the way.

There could of course be creatures and enemy units in the water too.

You had the same idea as me before I made the thread.

The thread has been made.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/116389-water-base-should-be-added-in-this-gamemore-unique-environments/?p=1358022

I honestly can't think of many games that got underwater levels right.

Yes, it's true that there are many examples of bad underwater levels in games - but that should not deter DE from investigating this possibility and, hopefully, including it in a new mission.

Here are some examples of underwater levels done properly (IMO) in games:

1) God of War: Ghost of Sparta (PSP, PS3)

2) Resistance: Retribution (PSP)

3) Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow (PSP)

Also, the gameplay video of Call of Duty:Ghost's "Into the Deep" campaign level looks amazing:  

I've only seen one game so far, where swimming felt natural, and that was Age of Wulin. It's got the little problem that you can't sheath your weapon while swimming, but other than that they just got it right.

Looking at the frames, I can't imagine them swimming, either. Rhino, for example, is too limited in his movement for swimming. Saryn's epaulettes would inhibit her. So I rather see them walking under water.

Since water has much higher resistance, you'd use stamina for walking fully submerged. The "air-timer" could be the same as with broken windows - your shields slowly depleting until your health is affected when you run out of air.

Here's a possible idea for making even the heavier warframes like Rhino swim (or move around quickly) underwater:

When a warframe goes underwater - 2 (or more) small specialized jetpack thrusters could automatically emerge from his/her back allowing him/her to move very quickly underwater.

This idea comes from a game called Deep Black where the playable character wears a special suit that has 4 small specialized jetpacks for moving quickly underwater.

Please go to the 00:44 mark in this video: