Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[INTEREST CHECK] D&D meets Warframe

TearsOfTomorrow

This is not the first topic I see posted in this section, which discusses starting something on Discord... So I'm assuming it's fine? I certainly hope it's fine. If it's not, please let me know how I can keep on discussing this idea in a more appropriate section 😕

So anyway, I'm a long-time D&D master with over 10 years of experience under my belt, having ran multiple games in 3e, 3.5e, that thing that never existed, and 5e, in addition to other opular tabletop systems such as Pathfinder, Mutants & Masterminds, Vampire the Masquerade. And well, there is something I firmly believe: Warframe is good because it tells a universal story, I.E. a story that could work in any place and in any time period, it does use some space opera tropes but it doesn't NEED to be space opera in order to convey its message in a deeply entertaining manner.

And for a while now I've been wanting to prove this by running a game that is unquestionably D&D, but at the same time is also Warframe: imagine, if you will, Faerun. Or maybe Greyhawk, or perhaps Eberron or Golarion: worlds that have nothing to do with space opera, and are instead deeply rooted in Tolkien-esque medieval fantasy, with dragons and princesses and knights and whatever. Would the basic plot of Warframe work, were it to be re-enacted in such a world? With the necessary tweaks (I can elaborate on this on request, for now I wanna keep this OP brief) I believe it can.

Unfortunately I recently moved away from the city in which I used to live, and in the new town I know nobody who's into tapletop RPGs: as such, I have nobody to test this theory with. And so I thought: why not try and find somebody through this forum? We could play via Discord, using online tools such as Roll20 to handle dice rolls. Perhaps we could also have a topic here on the forum to keep a "log" of our adventure, and we could essentially do... I dunno, something with it. However, I need you to consider a few facts:

1) I live in Italy, meaning my timezone is GMT+1, and while I myself tend to stay up until very late at night due to an illness that prevents me from reaxing and catching any significant sleep, it's still a fact that I cannot wake up the rest of the condominium, so making Discord group calls that might or might not involve shouting and laughing loudly could be a problem at 2 AM. Thus, arranging a time for meeting (ideally we'd have one long or two short sessions per week, so not more than one or two days, for a total of 4 to 6 hours, need to be arranged) might be difficult depending on where you live.

2) Due to the above, and due to the difficulties that arise when playing via internet, all manners of difficulties might or might not arise when it comes to actually managing the flow of the campaign: to facilitate matters on this regard, I'd be looking to keep the group very small (3, 4 people AT MOST).

3) And of course, setting up this whole deal would take A LOT of preliminary work, so apply for it only if you're sure you could commit to it. If you make me set everything up and then quit two sessions in, you'll cause me significant problems, so please don't do that.

Having said all that, anyone interested? Anyone has any thoughts or opinions to share? Do post guys.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm very interested in this, but can't commit. Don't have the time. Maybe mid-April.
Uthael#9939 on Discord in case this is still relevant when I forget about it.

I have never played a D&D game, but I know what it's about, have patience and enjoy games where improvisation is available.

I suggest you present the idea to a community where this kind of a game is more popular. It's more likely you'll find some Warframe players there than vice-versa.
Try asking in some Tabletop Simulator community, for example.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2021-05-11 at 3:05 AM, Brinstar7777 said:

Y'know, I have Homebrew rules for Operators and Warframes in the works, if you're interested.

Yes. When you share it for someone to read them, please share it here, too.