Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

RNG Stats Are Not Fun

StalwartSpirit

The kuva weapons and railjack components are following a trend that I really hope does not continue in Warframe. The randomness of their stats does not add anything to the game but frustration. I don't feel good about getting a good roll. I do feel annoyed when an already rare drop rolls bad stats. I feel like it's not worth investing resources until I get a weapon with a good roll. I have avoided kuva lich content because of this. I have played a lot of railjack though, because I really enjoy the game mode and feel like it generates more teamwork than any other mission type in Warframe to date.

This isn't to say that all RNG should be removed from Warframe entirely, or anything like that. But grinding for rare items and grinding for good RNG stats produce two totally different feelings. As an example, when you collect parts for a prime weapon each part feels like progress. Even if you don't have the rare part yet, collecting the more common parts lets you know you're working towards having the powerful weapon. RNG stats produce no sense of progress towards a goal. If you do not get your good roll, you are no closer to having the weapon you want and that is demoralizing and demotivating.

Riven mods were a great model for items with randomized stats. For one thing, you can reroll them if you don't like the stats until you get something you like. Additionally, they feel more "optional". You're not going to rely on a riven to be able to play the way you have to rely on the randomly generated railjack gun stats, you can choose stronger weapons or use other mods. Rivens primarily serve to boost off-meta weapons to a more fun and usable state.

If you are going to continue to have weapons with RNG stats they should be either able to be rerolled like rivens, upgraded, and/or have viable non-RNG alternatives. Maybe a system like fusion, where you can spend dirac or some other resource to upgrade the RNG bonus on your weapons? Or combine guns of the same type to increase the bonus stat?

I feel like the recent railjack reactor changes were a good move. I hope that the feedback received about the reactors helps direct future decisions away from randomly generated stats on items.

• Like 2

Good news, they're going to roll out a system to trade Kuva weapons with stats you don't like for tokens of some sort towards weapons you Do want.
Bad news, the level of pressure you've set up for yourself to have all these things in a timely manor is not going to be a healthy way to handle them.

The RNG in this game Can be brute forced.. but I'd like to propose that this is not the intent. Does it feel like it's supposed to play like that? Like they made That to be fun for people? If you're able to disabuse yourself of the notion that you will have loot right when you want it, consider it a long term investment.. and not an obstacle course. Example.. Super Smash Bros. Melee. That is a game that people have been playing for over a decade. ...It is not because they have loot to gain, it's because the mechanics engage them. If there were super obscure RNG in Smash Melee, there MAY just be some reward that sneaks up on them one day 3 years down the line. DE's approach invests in that to happen... players treat it like their entitled to have it THIS WEEK, and DE made a mistake. It's a whole different dynamic.

This game is a siren's song to folks who, "need to collect," but that's can drive people to actual madness. It may not be healthy, strictly speaking. Scratch off tickets have a better chance of giving a reward, and people can get addicted to those. Whatever vices we have, should be moderated. What's most likely is you'll burn yourself out getting everything, and sit deflated and bored on a profile full of self flaggellation for the sake of seeing virtual completeness. Too many players do that to themselves.. they sit around grizzled, hurling insults at the devs from the forums, telling them they've got it all wrong because we can't bare to wait a few weeks. ..and like, you have a point, but also, how much of one?

I mentioned in an earlier thread, that Lich should come with Therapists for the kind of player who Cannot resist brute forcing the grind until they hate themselves and everything around them. ...Either that, or repeal the Lich entirely, because it's making people sick, self destructive, and generally resentful.

Edited by kapn655321

57 minutes ago, FutileMasquerade said:

I feel like it's not worth investing resources until I get a weapon with a good roll.

You can upgrade an old weapon to have the bonus stats of a newer one.  For example, you could invest a Catalyst and 5 Forma into a Kuva Ogris for Mastery and the fun of running around with an automatic rocket launcher, even if it doesn't have a top roll for bonus damage, then down the line fuse another Kuva Ogris into it if you get a better one (possibly after the proposed ability to 'bait' Liches with specific weapons).

1 hour ago, FutileMasquerade said:

As an example, when you collect parts for a prime weapon each part feels like progress. Even if you don't have the rare part yet, collecting the more common parts lets you know you're working towards having the powerful weapon. RNG stats produce no sense of progress towards a goal. If you do not get your good roll, you are no closer to having the weapon you want and that is demoralizing and demotivating.

But if I'm running a specific Relic for a rare part I need then the other parts on that Relic are often parts I dodn't need, they'll just be Ducats.  In the same manner as how Railjack weapons I don't want will just be Dirac.  In my personal experience of playing Railjack, I wanted a Zetki Photor for the pilot seat (I know most say Cryophon, but I wanted range and accuracy).  First I got a fairly low damage bonus, about 18% I think but I didn't even have the resources required before finding a 24%, then a 28% and now a 29.9%, each time scrapping the older repaired one to recover some of the resources to build the newer one.  I wasn't losing out completely by having built the less powerful one as I still got most of the resources back and I got to use that weapon in the mean time.  Now, there's no guaranteed progress I'll admit, I am no more likely to get a 30% now than I was on my first mission in Veil but the same could be said of Relics, I am no more likely to get the last Baza Prime part I need in my next run than I was in my first.