Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Who else wants stronger infested?

(XBOX)Lwyu

3 hours ago, Goodwill said:

or by giving them abilities that prevent us from using our abilities.

They are already the most anti ability faction, though that mostly comes from one fact. Most infested eximus are energy leeches, but this only really becomes an issue at higher levels when most of them spawn as eximus units and you have to deal with Saguine Eximus (tanky healers), Disrupters also become annoying with their ability DR fields along with the constant energy drain.

• Like 2

the whole faction needs fleshed out, why are chargers only grineer based? give me some corpus and a pure strain to add some flavor.

they ought to be 3 mini factions really, grinner, corpus and pure, mix and match them based on location. what we have now is more or less fine for crossfires, anywhere else it makes less sense.

at the very least all the infested models could use some touching up.

5 hours ago, kapn655321 said:

Few things I'd address first. Ancient Healers, Mutalist Ospreys, Mutalist/Tar Moas, Toxic Ancients.
Since there are aspects of the Infested that aren't fun to fight, a cap on how much of that ability any one unit has, should be in place.
For instance, when you have several ancients all covering for each other.. all being replaced by ancients covering each other.. it's tiresome.
Each one of those ancients does the full job. You don't get to feel you've made progress if there are 2 nearby, and you kill one. Everything is still protected fully.

Ancient Healers: Now Redirect a maximum of 30% damage each. AI now seeks other Ancient Healers to combine their abilities for a total of 90%. When 3 Ancient Healers are within aura range of each other, they call infested to them, giving them movement speed bonuses for a few seconds. The mobs rush to meet up with the Healers, and be fully tanked up.. but now, if you kill one ancient healer, the pack dynamic changes, and their forces are less impenetrable. One ancient healer feels different than 2, and 3 is practically it's own new unit.

Mutalist Osprey toxin clouds are bothersome in how dense they are. Again, split this across units, and have them coordinate attacks to obtain the same level of cloud density. Each cloud dealing less damage on it's own, (because toxin really wrecks some frames in particular) but may orchestrate to obtain the same result. Have them spawn more regularly so long as each individual one isn't going to be a bother to fight.

Mutalist/Tar Moa both rely on sheer annoyance to be a mechanic. The Tar Moa goo should be dispersed Far more easily, but have them hurl it far more regularly. Each individual cast being less damaging, but able to stack up to be far worse. Minimal corrosive proc on the first hit, but be hit with a second or third, and a Nox gun stacking effect takes place. Easier to swipe away, but more oppressive in it's attempts. Mutalist Moas can stack to intensify in noise level and rapidity of damage ticks.. again, not more damage, but the capacity to be worse.

Toxic Ancients We've probably all been suprise barfed to death by these guys from behind, and too far away. Closer range... pulling you in to barf on you.. but not a one shot. These should be the only Pull ancient units. Ancients scorpion pull we all unanimously recognize needs a rework. Have toxic ancients gain range or damage bonuses from Mutalist Bees/Goo/Clouds.. but very minimal ones (around 6%) for each collision with these factors. Very capable of being super deadly, but only one shot monsters if you get stuck in their ideal environment.

Bring in the infested from the Halloween event (not the boss guys, the other ones) to diversify the spawns.
Make Brood Mothers spawn about 30% more often.
Have Boilers spawn Mutalist Ospreys from them like Corpus Elite and snipers do with their drones.
Oh, and nauseous crawlers.. less barf stun time.

NEW UNIT: Resistance buff. Similar to ancient healers, aura that improves base resistance to a Randomly Shifting damage type. With a sheen like salmonella, or an oil slick on a puddle.. the types or resistance are constantly swirling and changing rapidly. Only giving up to 15% resistance at any one time, but combines with other units to stack up to 45% resistance maximum in any one damage type.

Then from there, if you want to crank their health up a bit, make all the light mob units way crazier somehow, please do.

My main thing is each unit should be bolstered in some way by the units around it.. but in small ways that amass into something scary.. and not so much an immediate effect from one unit being so predictable. Splitting the powers more makes the potential of letting them get out of control more subtle and looming, and less, "Oh, a big ol' derpy spinach godzilla is around the corner making my combat not fun."

Also Ancient Disruptors.. If they take energy with magnetic procs, get a chance to steal it back if you kill them fast enough. I wouldn't mind if they possessed the power from the ancient healers to negate status effects instead of the healers, but I'm not dead set on that.

Some of those modifications would make the Infested much easier, not stronger or harder. Give more infested their specialized Infested Sinew (that currently only like 2 infested units - that are only bosses - actually use!)... or heck, give some of them alloy armor (or any armor really)! One of the new infested units from the Emissary Nightwave season looks like a tank, but dies too easily. That one is a good candidate to get some alloy armor to be like the Nox of the Infested.

The infested can be strong "under the right circumstances"

A toxic ancient can wipe a squad rather quickly above lvl 100.

Swarm moas can give its allies armor,

Ancients give DR and Ability resistance in their aura and can also drain your energy.

We dont need stronger infested , we need MORE infested. a literal swarm , like 4 times what it is now.

And maybe also give them a minor health regen or leech or the ability to use mutalist Alad Vs collar on you , that would really #*!% up any game.

• Like 1

The infested should be an actual threat to face, but they are the weakest faction in the game at the moment, if anything the only of their unit that poses a risk when fighting them is the mutalist osprey and that nasty toxic cloud they use.

20 hours ago, Butterfly85 said:

That's why I take Rhino to those. Infested arbies get ugly real quick if you can't block status effects

I solved that problem by using Nidus, it's hilarious... oh and btw best arbi duo I had was with a Rhino, can't imagine something easier.

• Like 1

"Stronger" is perhaps not the best term, but yes, I do think the Infested are by far the most underdeveloped faction, and could stand to do much more. Personally, I've always wanted the Infested to be much faster, and to be able to scale terrain, Xenomorph-style. Currently, there are a few problems with the Infested:

• On top of being mostly melee (which is fine), they're fairly sluggish, which makes it very easy to outrun them, almost ignore them entirely in most situations.
  • Because they can't parkour very well, DE's answer has been to give many of their units crappy little projectile attacks, which are awkward to the point of feeling like a placeholder mechanic.
  • The Infested are supposed to distinguish themselves by being a horde, which makes it unfortunate that they're no more horde-y than any other faction. This I don't think is a problem with the Infested, though, so much as it is with every other faction being designed to max out on the unit count as well.
  • Most Infested units essentially do the same thing in the same way, i.e. run up to the player and melee them. We need more units like the Mutalist Osprey, Broodmother, Mutalist Moas, etc., that do different things while still fitting within the Infested theme.

So with those, suggestions based on the above:

• Increase the base movement speed of all Infested units, so that they look legitimately scary when going for the player.
  • While this is likely to be technically complicated, give Infested units wall- and ceiling-running capabilities by default.
  • Tone down the number of units in other factions (and buff the units accordingly), so that the Infested always remain by far the horde-iest faction.
  • Rework some existing units and add new ones to add to an expendable horde of melee-range enemies that do at least slightly different things, e.g. poison areas, flank the player, spawn more units, etc.

IIRC there was a point where Infested were the strongest faction all because of Toxic Ancients being able to oneshot at high enough levels.

I don't know if that's still the case but its fair to say other factions have caught up in terms of pure annoyingness (see new Corpus units).

Edited by Tricky5hift

Infested are the lamest faction. They are terribly weak, yet the energy drain make 95% of frames useless against them in post level 100 territory. They are the easiest faction to fight if you want to push an arbitration, as long as you are playing a frame like Inaros. 

They desperately need redesign, including their visuals. For the most part, I avoid them like the plague (pun intended).

On 2020-01-19 at 4:59 AM, 844448 said:

Make them plenty like that scene from World War Z where hundreds, thousands if not hundreds of thousands running to you if that doesn't make them scary enough

Now if only warframe had an engine that supported hundreds of thousands of concurrent enemies, we'd be set.

On 2020-01-19 at 11:31 AM, nslay said:

Some of those modifications would make the Infested much easier, not stronger or harder.

While redistributing their abilities would lower the effective strength of each unit, they could be rebalanced with additional health, spawn combinations and AI tactics, or as you say additional armor. Much in the respect of the additional armor, a unit to give variable resistances would take the predictability out of the units. If we add a single new resistance to them, we're going to do more to limit the weapons used to cheese them, but they will still be cheesed.

There are other methods that could work.. like for instance, if the Mutalist Osprey clouds are less visibly dense, perhaps they can cast them more often without being so bothersome.. which is the thought behind them being in groups more often. Healers unit changes would make mobs both more vulnerable individually, but also more dangerous when they're directed to group together. The main drive is that, if we're going to bring up their health or damage, we should not be doing so on units that have the potential to be boring bullet sponges.. and if they do become bullet sponges, a more nuanced approach to target priority makes it more dependent on player skill and understanding, and less about, "there's a healer around that corner making them boring. Save your ammo until they're dead." ...only worse.

There could be other things added to those units to compliment them being less OP in their skills. For instance, if a Toxin Infested scooped you up like Ropalolyst in order to barf on you... but you could fight to wiggle free. Tar Moas becoming more profuse in their goo, but the goo is more fragile, they can slow the party down more reliably, without frustrating a player if they know how to fight it.. likewise Mutalist Moas could receive greater damage ticks. Give and take. In other words, free up the qualities that make them limited in their balance, because their skills are pushed up as high as they can reasonably be.. instead spreading that power to be Greater in groups, with each individual unit being generally a little more resilient alone through health rework, and group focus making them monsters.

Here's another idea... Chargers get the same skill as some Kubrows... being able to pounce/tackle (like Sunika? meets Manics) or (I think it's Chesa? Where they) grapple onto enemies in some way. Again, requiring you to shake them off. It would be Super easy to get mobbed by these units, even if they're killable.

Edited by kapn655321

I think they are fine where they are play wise, but I wish they would change the way they look. Rubbery booger looking weirdos, not really doing it for me. Can you imagine more spines rather than floppy tendrils? What about those little donut holes with the itty bitty arms, what if it was a slug- like creature but with spines? 

Given how Mutalist Alad V is possible,i don't see it impossible to give the same treatment to crewman,or if that dosent work,use it on special corpus proxies and make them capable of using infested weapons like the phage,hema,etc.

A good way to make more infested weapons too,since there are not much of them in the game atm.

Maybe the Grineer can also get into infested stuff and create their own mess of enemies too,along with weapons,there should be an arms race.

As for regular infested,we recently got 2 new enemies from NW S2,maybe we should be expanding from there,some more beefy units that are not ancinets can be interesting.

On 2020-01-19 at 12:52 PM, (XB1)The Neko Otaku said:

Really want the thrasher and undying fyler from the emissary assassinate to join the normal ranks of the infested.

Same, though I really dislike the flier's design. Its just a bunch of stuff glued to a normal grineer unit, they even took the thrasher's arm and just kinda stuck it on there. That thing is probably the worst looking unit in the entire faction.