Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The rework of enemy Shields

Midas

In warframe, shields are extremely irrelevant to the corpus faction and frame builds. They provide little to no protection when engaging with them in combat.

The two types of shields right now are normal and proto shields. They both can be easily "skipped" with slash and toxin procs. A good 

example of how shields are extremely effective is the way in which Demolysts DO NOT take status procs what so ever while shields are up.

Magnetic and impact damage suddenly become useful here, along with shield disruption.

Currently with a shield rework we would breathe life into all of these things that are utterly useless right now.

• The Shield Disruption Aura (no point if you can just run slash to skip them!)
  • The Magnetic proc! (Finally it can be used as a form of corrosive for Corpus units)
  • The Impact proc! (Same as above)
  • Volt's augment (Boosts Warframe shields)
  • shield mods

Going back to what I said about the Demolyst earlier, I think it would be productive for shields to be immune to all status procs but

Magnetic and Impact. This would require increased build optimization for magnetic/impact stripping and Shield Disruption usage.

As of right now shields are in the fire dumpster and really are not that viable ingame currently, i'd rather use health and armor because

shields provide little to no defense, especially in level 90+ missions (new 100+ and onward missions that are coming out now will start

to display how weak shields are compared to their armor counterpart).

Will add on to this topic later, but overall the point is simple to make shields provide immunity to status procs until removed (crit/magnetic/impact setups work well against them).

Edited by Midas

2 hours ago, Midas said:

They both can be easily "skipped" with slash and toxin procs.

Agree, the idea that some damage types can undermine specific layers of defense is questionable, especialy if said damage types are common and easy to utilizy.

Its no secret shields are weak.

Theres a reason 100% of endgame builds (beside hildryn cuz hildryn) use invincibility, invisibility, or mass amounts of armor and health. But the problem doesnt just lie with warframes themselves.

As the same shield system is used from warframes on enemies, it means that shields are just as useless on enemies. When we have weapons able to proc gas procs into the tens of millions of damage easily, the only thing that can counter that is high toxin resist (see infested) or high armor (see grineer/corrupted). I agree shields need to be reworked because its just adding to the mass amounts of powercreep from gas/slash + viral weapons. Why use magnetic when you can just viral + gas/slash and nuke them before their shield is even half way removed.

One way to help shields atleast for warframes is to add shield gating. Shield gating does not have to be invuln like hildryn, simply damage first goes to shield then stops, then all subsequent damage goes to health. But even as im writing this there would be ways to abuse this. See trin + sentinals always regening a little bit of shield for unlimited shield gates.

As per the above post, I agree shields need a bit of a change for Warframes as well. I’d say the more you invest in shields the higher damage reduction you get capping at a 93% dr. This would stack with adaptation and armor boosting mods/effects. That way a single Toxin or Slash proc won’t one hit you because shields will stay up longer.

Honestly I think the problem with shields isn’t the shields themselves, but with armor. Shields are irrelevant as an enemy defense because of how much damage we players do, which we need to be capable of doing in order to deal with enemy armor. If they bring armor scaling way down, and then reduce player damage to compensate, that will help with the situation a lot.

Honestly I would prefer that enemies with armor and enemies with shields have essentially the same ehp. That way you are actually incentivized to switch to something other than corrosive.

As for toxin damage or slash status bypassing shields, I will admit that’s a problem, one that I believe needs to be solved by a major reduction in the number of damage types. We don’t need 16. Trim that down to about 6, and we can get rid of some of these types that make everything else irrelevant.

48 minutes ago, (PS4)sister-hawk said:

Honestly I think the problem with shields isn’t the shields themselves, but with armor. Shields are irrelevant as an enemy defense because of how much damage we players do, which we need to be capable of doing in order to deal with enemy armor. If they bring armor scaling way down, and then reduce player damage to compensate, that will help with the situation a lot.

Honestly I would prefer that enemies with armor and enemies with shields have essentially the same ehp. That way you are actually incentivized to switch to something other than corrosive.

As for toxin damage or slash status bypassing shields, I will admit that’s a problem, one that I believe needs to be solved by a major reduction in the number of damage types. We don’t need 16. Trim that down to about 6, and we can get rid of some of these types that make everything else irrelevant.

Only problem here is your average corpus unit does not use armor, hence damage reduction (Which I believe exists right now) shields and removal of slash/toxin procs skipping to health would be an important change. For Warframes I must agree they need to change.

• Like 1