Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My dream Excalibur

Bene-Elohim

As my most played frame I feel bad about saying anything bad about my guy but he doesn't do enough in the game. Game modes like Defense, Spy & etc. So instead of just complaining about it I'd like to offer some alternatives.

Passive

• Problem: his passive does work thematically it just doesn't do enough when stacked against others
  • Suggestion: Make his passive a foundation for his abilities to stand on while also working thematically: Melee combo counter grants buffs within aura range as it increases
    • 2X: Damage resistance
    • 3X: Increased pickup distance
    • 4X: Increased Loot
    • 5X:Ability range
    • 6X:Ability range+
    • 7X:Ability Duration
    • 8X:Ability Duration+
    • 9X:Ability Strength
    • 10X:Ability Strength +
    • 11X:Ability Efficiency
    • 12X:Ability Efficiency +

Ability A Slashing Dash

• Problem: Melee has changed alot yes you're invincible but you don't do meaningful damage and the ability only gets stronger in tandem with exalted blade or your blind and if you go that the energy cost of the setup isn't worth it
  • Suggestion: incorporate heavy attack damage holding the button gives you a short distance teleport judgement cut style to incentivize this you get all the benefit of a heavy attack with your equipped melee weapon but instead of depleting combo it takes it's casting cost and the casting angle expands to 360 degree and returning to the epicenter afterward, tapping the button gives you the original ability but both variations of the ability should allow excal to do finishers on any enemy affected by Ability B as part of the ability without resetting it.

Modding:

• Range: increases the AOE up to a 360 degree cone that extends up to 30 meters at max range
  • Strength: strength above 100% starts to add a damage multiplier to the ability
  • Duration: the charge variant shouldn't kill all enemies in range instead the ability will persist for a modifiable duration killing as many as possible
  • Efficiency: the charged variant ought to have a greater cost to balance out just how powerful an aoe could be so the ability should cost more with the more enemies inside the range at the time of casting efficiency should reduce this

Ability B Radial Blind

• Problem: his second ability is his best one and given the quality of regular weapons over his own exalted one there's not really a great amount of incentive to use much else, I'd never nerf this ability rather I'd want the other abilities to be up to par BUT if I had to nit-pick anything it'd be the idea that it's meant to be the light from the blade blinding the enemy but this is used most notably in parrying
  • Suggestion: use a hold press to use a parry this parry would attack with a wave utilizing the incoming damage from a single target while also still blinding the enemies hit my the wave, this also has problems as there is already a great way to get damage from blind, you know... by attacking, so players could be incentivized to use this more with a reduced energy cost but an increased cost if the timing is off.

Modding:

• Range: the parry variant should do it's damage via a fast EB wave so modding should increase it's size allowing the ability to affect a greater number of enemies in the direction of the enemy.
  • Strength:using the principle of a damage multiplier the parry's multiplier should be modifiable with ability strength
  • Duration: duration should increase the parry window and the blind duration
  • Efficiency: given the fact that these abilities are potentially really powerful I want them to bear consequence but by building more efficiency lessens the impact of timing the parry wrong

Ability C Radial Javelin

• Problem: this was excaliburs old ultimate an aoe kill attack most of us agree that EB was a better ability for him but hardly any effort was made to have the ability work with his kit afterward the fear seemed to be that if the ability was altered too much or axed completely that there would be an upset but then Draco happened and our damage/range was reduced and the number of javelins cut
  • Suggestion: this ability needs a place in his kit without the need for the augment the initial cast performs the ability as normal but the javelins act as range extenders for abilities A&C. Using Ability A on an enemy Hit by RJ recovers the javelin for use as a summoned sword that auto-blocks and adds multi-hit to your equipped weapon while scaling with the enemy if it was killed during the retrieval, this means that whether its a gun or a melee weapon the ability always has a place, with more javelins the parry angle increases. When used in tandem with Ability B the Javelins let out a blind at reduced range.
  • Add utility to the ability by allowing you to cast on friendlies or objectives to protect and share the benefits at the expense of you using it with a hold press.
  • To promote the use of this ability during Ability D a held version of Ability C is available to single target one enemy with all current javelins that lowers enemy DR.

Modding:

• Range: would obviously affect the range of the javelins but as you increase the range and efficiency you get more of them
  • Strength: increases the initial damage of the ability and the scaling of the recovered javelins
  • Duration: increases the amount of time the javelins remain before you need to replace them
  • Efficiency: while also factoring in to the number of javelins you get in tandem with range it should also reduce cost

Ability D Exalted Blade

• Problem: the damage is good but you don't have to use your other abilities once it's out Ability A isn't needed because if you're in range to use it the waves should still be good enough, Ability B if you don't know about this try doing a slide attack with EB blind was so good the made it part of EB, Ability C well why would you use a damage ability that isn't as good as the damage ability you are already using?
  • Suggestion: Remove the waves on regular attacks and instead have EB scale with combo counter NOT combo multiplier a single percent for each combo count with a base of 15% crit and status on the weapon at base it's not a massive increase at max combo count that's 220% for a total of 48% crit and status and an increase in base damage as long as that occurs before mods Exalted blade can compete with our arsenal without the waves but here's where I really want to reach
    • Wall attacks are a regular Ability A (makes wall attacks more usable in absence of waves)
    • Blocking in time with an enemy attack is an Ability B(parry)
    • Slam attacks are a regular ability C
    • And a heavy attack is a wave attack that is modifiable with range etc that costs you energy

Modding:

• Range: Should increase the length of the blade and size of waves
  • Strength: increases the base damage of the ability as normal
  • Duration: increase the duration of the above special moves and factor in to channeling efficiency as normal
  • Efficiency: Work as normal

There is alot here I concede that but meta frames exist so it doesn't seem that bad after balancing.

On 2020-01-20 at 3:42 PM, Bene-Elohim said:

Passive

• Problem: his passive does work thematically it just doesn't do enough when stacked against others
  • Suggestion: Make his passive a foundation for his abilities to stand on while also working thematically: Melee combo counter grants buffs within aura range as it increases
    • 2X: Damage resistance
    • 3X: Increased pickup distance
    • 4X: Increased Loot
    • 5X:Ability range
    • 6X:Ability range+
    • 7X:Ability Duration
    • 8X:Ability Duration+
    • 9X:Ability Strength
    • 10X:Ability Strength +
    • 11X:Ability Efficiency
    • 12X:Ability Efficiency +

I actually really like this. A super unique take on taking combo and making it a crucial part of a melee oriented frames kit. The only thing I'd take out would be the pick up distance and increased loot. Feels a little too gimmicky similar to Wukong's passive having a loot mode with the other ones being so much better. If anything I'd replace 3x with Damage resistance+ and 4x: increased attack speed or 3x: increased attack speed and 4x: increased attack speed+. 

Ability A Slashing Dash

• Problem: Melee has changed alot yes you're invincible but you don't do meaningful damage and the ability only gets stronger in tandem with exalted blade or your blind and if you go that the energy cost of the setup isn't worth it
  • Suggestion: incorporate heavy attack damage holding the button gives you a short distance teleport judgement cut style to incentivize this you get all the benefit of a heavy attack with your equipped melee weapon but instead of depleting combo it takes it's casting cost and the casting angle expands to 360 degree and returning to the epicenter afterward, tapping the button gives you the original ability but both variations of the ability should allow excal to do finishers on any enemy affected by Ability B as part of the ability without resetting it.

Modding:

• Range: increases the AOE up to a 360 degree cone that extends up to 30 meters at max range
  • Strength: strength above 100% starts to add a damage multiplier to the ability
  • Duration: the charge variant shouldn't kill all enemies in range instead the ability will persist for a modifiable duration killing as many as possible
  • Efficiency: the charged variant ought to have a greater cost to balance out just how powerful an aoe could be so the ability should cost more with the more enemies inside the range at the time of casting efficiency should reduce this

Love the judgement cut idea. and by 'allow excal to do finishers on any enemy' i assume you mean apply finisher/stealth damage right? Also what damage type would this be proccing? slash? or would it just be damage. Also would excal still be invincible/untargetable during the animation?

Ability B Radial Blind

• Problem: his second ability is his best one and given the quality of regular weapons over his own exalted one there's not really a great amount of incentive to use much else, I'd never nerf this ability rather I'd want the other abilities to be up to par BUT if I had to nit-pick anything it'd be the idea that it's meant to be the light from the blade blinding the enemy but this is used most notably in parrying
  • Suggestion: use a hold press to use a parry this parry would attack with a wave utilizing the incoming damage from a single target while also still blinding the enemies hit my the wave, this also has problems as there is already a great way to get damage from blind, you know... by attacking, so players could be incentivized to use this more with a reduced energy cost but an increased cost if the timing is off.

Modding:

• Range: the parry variant should do it's damage via a fast EB wave so modding should increase it's size allowing the ability to affect a greater number of enemies in the direction of the enemy.
  • Strength:using the principle of a damage multiplier the parry's multiplier should be modifiable with ability strength
  • Duration: duration should increase the parry window and the blind duration
  • Efficiency: given the fact that these abilities are potentially really powerful I want them to bear consequence but by building more efficiency lessens the impact of timing the parry wrong

While I personally think that blind is fine right now and doesn't need any changes, adding a parry mechanic would be interesting. Although the parry part sounds interesting, given how much damage is flying at us so often, I feel like parrying is a little bit niche, unless it works similar to wukong's defy where it's a channeled timer.  

Ability C Radial Javelin

• Problem: this was excaliburs old ultimate an aoe kill attack most of us agree that EB was a better ability for him but hardly any effort was made to have the ability work with his kit afterward the fear seemed to be that if the ability was altered too much or axed completely that there would be an upset but then Draco happened and our damage/range was reduced and the number of javelins cut
  • Suggestion: this ability needs a place in his kit without the need for the augment the initial cast performs the ability as normal but the javelins act as range extenders for abilities A&C. Using Ability A on an enemy Hit by RJ recovers the javelin for use as a summoned sword that auto-blocks and adds multi-hit to your equipped weapon while scaling with the enemy if it was killed during the retrieval, this means that whether its a gun or a melee weapon the ability always has a place, with more javelins the parry angle increases. When used in tandem with Ability B the Javelins let out a blind at reduced range.
  • Add utility to the ability by allowing you to cast on friendlies or objectives to protect and share the benefits at the expense of you using it with a hold press.
  • To promote the use of this ability during Ability D a held version of Ability C is available to single target one enemy with all current javelins that lowers enemy DR.

Modding:

• Range: would obviously affect the range of the javelins but as you increase the range and efficiency you get more of them
  • Strength: increases the initial damage of the ability and the scaling of the recovered javelins
  • Duration: increases the amount of time the javelins remain before you need to replace them
  • Efficiency: while also factoring in to the number of javelins you get in tandem with range it should also reduce cost

While I personally would prefer an entire rework of this ability, this change sounds interesting too. Also in order to reap the benefits, would it have to be you to kill the enemy for the javelin retrieval, or would it count if an ally killed them too. I'm asking this because we don't want the harrow problem. Either a speed up in its casting animation or just complete invulnerability during its casting animation would be also really good. 

Ability D Exalted Blade

• Problem: the damage is good but you don't have to use your other abilities once it's out Ability A isn't needed because if you're in range to use it the waves should still be good enough, Ability B if you don't know about this try doing a slide attack with EB blind was so good the made it part of EB, Ability C well why would you use a damage ability that isn't as good as the damage ability you are already using?
  • Suggestion: Remove the waves on regular attacks and instead have EB scale with combo counter NOT combo multiplier a single percent for each combo count with a base of 15% crit and status on the weapon at base it's not a massive increase at max combo count that's 220% for a total of 48% crit and status and an increase in base damage as long as that occurs before mods Exalted blade can compete with our arsenal without the waves but here's where I really want to reach
    • Wall attacks are a regular Ability A (makes wall attacks more usable in absence of waves)
    • Blocking in time with an enemy attack is an Ability B(parry)
    • Slam attacks are a regular ability C
    • And a heavy attack is a wave attack that is modifiable with range etc that costs you energy

Modding:

• Range: Should increase the length of the blade and size of waves
  • Strength: increases the base damage of the ability as normal
  • Duration: increase the duration of the above special moves and factor in to channeling efficiency as normal
  • Efficiency: Work as normal

I think EB needs a complete base stat buff for basically everything. Also instead of removing the waves, I think it'd be better to just have the waves work akin to Sekiro's mortal blade or Genji's dragon blade where the waves are more of an extension of the blade. My only problem with this suggestion is putting all of his other abilities into EB feels a little bit overloaded and gives even less reason to use his other abilities with EB activated. 

All in all I like a lot of your changes. I play a lot of Excal too and made a post a bit ago regarding Excal changes that I would make. 

would love to hear your thoughts on it