Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A disabled warframe

BaylenHay

I want a warframe that is disabled.

Maybe as they progress through fighting they regain their limbs or whatever.

Start out with like some cybernetic attachment and then with their powers they can gain extra abilities.

I dont know seems like a warframe they havent done yet.

What do you all think... I hope you understand where I am coming from.

• Like 4

As far as I understand, you want a warframe that has something like counter mechanics in the form of animation of parts (as nidus does when he opens his body, showing growths). Only, you want it to be made in a certain robotic theme, plus, as far as I understand, you want to make it so that its abilities are blocked initially, but activated gradually when the warframe is in battle.

The only question is, what exactly will activate / unlock abilities? Dealing damage with conventional weapons? Killing with conventional weapons? Taking damage? If this is the first ability that is available by default, the question cycle will be repeated. Everything will depend on what the first ability does. 

Also, the question will be, do we need energy mechanics for this frame? And what happens after you use the unlocked ability? What will be the condition for the ability to be blocked again?

• Like 4

I still want to wield a tomahawk in one hand and a bowie knife in the other and be able to throw both. Also want the primary secondary melee weapon slot limitations replaced with weapon slots 1,2, and 3 and allow us to equip any 3 weapons we want .

Alas we can't have everything we want, most likely because of this old ass games limitations or some other incoherent reasoning. 

Edited by (XB1)MandlorPrime

There are a few ways they could go about making a disability positive Warframe.
Could be like a Professor X type frame.. not in effect, but in mobility and scope of powers.

As for the progression from being totally incapacitated to earning capability, that's already the story arch of our Operators.

So... like an amputee? Or starting off with a leg cast and crutches? 

Maybe his abilities unlock as his friends sign his cast. But then he keeps the cast longer than needed to get out of P.E. class. 

It's usually best to fully develop the warframe. Create the concept, and explain what each ability will do so we know where you're coming from. Otherwise it's like an inside joke... that's only in your head. It may have been good for you, but no one else gets the joke. 

• Like 1

You know a concept is bad when all you have is drawbacks and no benefits.

At best I could see them making a frame without arms that uses telekinesis to do everything like shoot their weapons.

Edited by Madway7
  • Like 1

The point is showing how able one can be regardless of whether it seems like an inherent disadvantage. The idea for telekinetic phantom limbs is excellent. Maybe even having interchangeable limbs like prosthetics. Getting around with tethers might also be an option, but the mechanics would need some cleaning up. There are all these great examples in the real worlds of people who have handled their disabilities like absolute superheroes. The young blind man who learned echolocation to skateboard, Jason Becker who still writes albums while quadriplegic from ALS, several professional sports members or olympiads, etc. Could even become like a go-go gadget frame, and be incredibly welcoming to players with disabilities.

So, starting with the idea of a wheelchair. Let's make that awesome first. Movement would be as our frames are now, but at a crouched height.
Acquisition would involve a questline utilizing a Stamina mode, with Increased Gravity with no slow fall. Movement abilities for normal frames would have to get by while being disabled and impaired. The maps should stress how you can't just fly over large gaps, run forever, or make shortcuts. You'd have to be both determined and resourceful to get around.

Warframe: Abel

Movement of this frame would swap Crouch for K-drive Grind. This would also work for wall runs. which would function more like old-style wall run where you drop over time.

Passive: Grinding returns energy and reduces casting time and cost for a short duration.

First ability: Pulley. Rework Valk's Tether to create a pulley system with up to 3 lines that interact. Able to Raise/Lower/Suspend or lift across angled terrain and expanses. Wheels are incorporated in the pulley system.
Second Ability: Hover. Makes movement more akin to K-drive for a duration but without jumps. Jumping instead is a no cost tap for brief speed boost. Hold to cast to place temporary ramp.
Third Ability: Homing Debuffs. Target enemies are immobilized, giving you a portion of their movement speed/Armor/Shield/ and any positive buff they have active. (You could for instance, steal an Ancient Healer's or Nullifier's ability for a time.)
Fourth Ability: Channeled skill. Mobilize. Using prosthetics and telekinesis, you're able to move as normal frames, gaining dramatically improved melee damage.
Exalted "K-drive" to mod your chair. Jump mods will not work, but offensive mods will with effectiveness tied to power str when incorporated with pulleys and grinds.

Just some rough ideas, OP. Lemme know what you think.

Edited by kapn655321

On 2020-01-21 at 12:21 AM, BaylenHay said:

You know... a "war"-frame is supposed to be able to fight.

What's the point in building a weapon that can't frickin fight? Are you gonna kill people by throwing insults at them?

So, I can picture a frame that has either a Jackal-like set of limbs with a standard humanoid torso and upper arms, or an interesting all-terrain wheeled chassis (with gimbaled wheels to traverse walls, ceilings, etc.).

It's harder to imagine a warframe that is, for instance, missing a limb and does not have that limb replaced by something equivalent - so like, telekinesis limbs or energy limbs would be neat, but it would come back to being just another warframe with full capabilities.

On the other hand, a frame quest involving repairing an injured warframe - something where parts have been amputated - with constructed parts is an interesting quest concept; if you pair that with the ability to either set those replacement parts loose as autonomous companions, or reassemble oneself into a different configuration, or something like that could be a viable warframe theme. You could for instance have a frame that has lost legs, and the quest is to get that all-terrain dune buggy chassis working.

Or, you could embrace the idea that becoming Corrupted heals you -- like it does with enemies in void fissures -- and so you might work with a limitation until you build a pool of energy to become a corrupted Warframe, re-manifesting the missing limbs / healing and improving weakened stats. That's an interesting idea but again, it's just based on removing the disability, not working with it in some way. 

EDIT: Having the option for the Tenno to have disabilities, on the other hand, is a different angle to consider. And I'd love to see warframes with non-standard body configurations - jackals, raptors, etc. I know that's a HUGE rigging, animation, and coding hurdle and I don't expect it. I would just love to see it.

Edited by Ham_Grenabe

On 2020-01-20 at 6:21 PM, BaylenHay said:

I want a warframe that is disabled.

Start out with like some cybernetic attachment and then with their powers they can gain extra abilities.

I dont know seems like a warframe they havent done yet.

What do you all think... I hope you understand where I am coming from.

This should never happen:

1. It is too controversial.
  2. Why would a frame, designed for war, have disability? Or even start a battle at a disadvantage? You know WFs are based on highly skilled Orokon soldiers. They are supposed to be the best of the best of civilizations that hundreds of billions (maybe trillions) of people.
  3. Assuming the frame was disabled, with all technology available, why not remove the disability? With our current technology, we are on the prosperous to do this. A century from now, I would be surprised if there is any permanent physical disabilities. I surely do not expect physical disabilities thousands of years in the future.

It is a bad idea. 

Edited by (PS4)thegarada

These are intentionally fabricated bio-machines meant for war.

I doubt anyone would intentionally mimic a human disadvantage in their design. The entire point of the frames was to do things humanoids couldn't do. 

I understand the concept here and I'm not tryna be a $&*^ but it doesn't seem logical.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of the Warframes, that's highly unlikely. Warframes are, in effect, super soldiers. They are, by design, physically above the average human by a lot. A physically disabled Warframe just doesn't make a lot of sense. Physical disability is exactly that - disabled whereas a super soldier is enabled. Most examples of disabled heroes have usually had a single prosthetic limb which, at worst, renders them equal to their peers and in some cases is an advantage - Finn the Human or Kat from Adventure Time and Halo:Reach being the former, and Edward Elric being an example of the latter, being able to use his mechanical arm to screw with certain people who expect it to be flesh, and to hit harder with a heavier limb at the same strength he'd normally have.

If DE could find some way to fenangle it, I would be down, but by the lore of the frames and the time period, there's very little reason for a frame to need a prosthetic, and fewer still to actively make them weaker than a regular soldier. 

• Like 4

Lore wise a disabled warframe makes zero sense. You got Harrow, which has a mental handicap and that's about as far as you can really go.

The Orokin were able to literally change the entire structure, at the molecular level, of any living organism. 

Simply put, there would be no such thing as disabled personnel in any of the Orokin's classes, because they'd have been able to easily prevent and fix that stuff. 

Ugly things that move weird? Sure. Disabled? Nah. 

• Like 2