Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A disabled warframe

BaylenHay

2 minutes ago, Sannleikur said:

Lore wise a disabled warframe makes zero sense. You got Harrow, which has a mental handicap and that's about as far as you can really go.

The Orokin were able to literally change the entire structure, at the molecular level, of any living organism. 

Simply put, there would be no such thing as disabled personnel in any of the Orokin's classes, because they'd have been able to easily prevent and fix that stuff. 

Ugly things that move weird? Sure. Disabled? Nah. 

The only thing I could see is a very late Orokin era Warframe that was rushed and not perfected. Though it doesn't make much sense when there are plenty of perfect body Warframes. 

On 2020-01-20 at 7:21 PM, BaylenHay said:

I want a warframe that is disabled.

Maybe as they progress through fighting they regain their limbs or whatever.

Start out with like some cybernetic attachment and then with their powers they can gain extra abilities.

I dont know seems like a warframe they havent done yet.

What do you all think... I hope you understand where I am coming from.

Uh...... Bit of a spoiler but....... 

There's a thing that happens which causes you to lose all weapons and powers and your sentinel on any given frame, and you have to work to get back to good..... 

I though about a warframe in a wheelchair at first and then I thought about me stopping and laughing everytime there are stairs in the map while everyone else is doing parkour you see the poor frame lunge his body out of his chair to the top of the steps. 

Next you see "can someone pick up my wheelchair for me at the bottoms of those steps" 

In the game chat

Wisp has no feet and only walks via her nature as a dimensional conduit.  I wouldn't call her disabled, but if we're talking missing limbs she's a good example of how it could work.  It would be fairly easy to allow a frame to telekinetically use it's weapons.  Just make the arms invisible, with some volumetric fog effects to give it increasing substance.  But making it substantial(not just someone with invisible arms), while working within a theme and holding to the feel of a warframe would be tough, but not necessarily impossible.  The real hurdle would be melee.

Just like wisp, this frame would need to be able to use every weapon, which would either require an extensive list of new animations, or, as Wisp does, would just use the current ones and hope it doesn't look to weird.  Wisp does okay because it's just her feet, and most animations are too fast or too dynamic to really spot the oddities, but remove to much and you risk a Phantom Limb(Venture Bros) scenario, where your very clearly have an able bodied frame with some invisible bits, which doesn't really achieve your goal.

Edited by Teiau

sorry, but while the intentions of appealing to the less able bodied are certainly in the right place, this is never going to happen. besides, we already have what you're looking for:

- Wisp has no feet. lucky she can float, or she'd need a wheelchair.

- Grendel Clearly has some kind of eating disorder.

- Harrow's Operator Rell literally had Autism.

- Nidus looks like he has some kind of terrible skin affliction.

see? plenty differently-abled characters in the Warframe universe for all your Politically Correct needs!

• Like 4

Warframes are Bipedal Weapons in effect that are going to be fully operational as weapons that are not don't get used. I could see scope for the spacetween to be less abled. They do after all control the frames by remote and could do with being rolled back out of the more prominent combat roll they have become (maybe in a nod to the professor X mentioned above a frame who's operator is not able to get out shoot up stuff with a wrist deathlaser gives significant buffs to surrounding allies or the like)

Why are you looking for representation in a warframe? It's a warframe. It makes no sense for a warframe to be disabled. Maybe if Warframe had an actual cast of characters who were integral to an actual narrative, maybe we could have a disabled character. But DE's really not good at storytelling, so that sort of thing won't happen.

8 hours ago, kapn655321 said:

The point is showing how able one can be regardless of whether it seems like an inherent disadvantage. The idea for telekinetic phantom limbs is excellent. Maybe even having interchangeable limbs like prosthetics. Getting around with tethers might also be an option, but the mechanics would need some cleaning up. There are all these great examples in the real worlds of people who have handled their disabilities like absolute superheroes. The young blind man who learned echolocation to skateboard, Jason Becker who still writes albums while quadriplegic from ALS, several professional sports members or olympiads, etc. Could even become like a go-go gadget frame, and be incredibly welcoming to players with disabilities.

Reveal hidden contents

So, starting with the idea of a wheelchair. Let's make that awesome first. Movement would be as our frames are now, but at a crouched height.
Acquisition would involve a questline utilizing a Stamina mode, with Increased Gravity with no slow fall. Movement abilities for normal frames would have to get by while being disabled and impaired. The maps should stress how you can't just fly over large gaps, run forever, or make shortcuts. You'd have to be both determined and resourceful to get around.

Warframe: Abel

Movement of this frame would swap Crouch for K-drive Grind. This would also work for wall runs. which would function more like old-style wall run where you drop over time.

Passive: Grinding returns energy and reduces casting time and cost for a short duration.

First ability: Pulley. Rework Valk's Tether to create a pulley system with up to 3 lines that interact. Able to Raise/Lower/Suspend or lift across angled terrain and expanses. Wheels are incorporated in the pulley system.
Second Ability: Hover. Makes movement more akin to K-drive for a duration but without jumps. Jumping instead is a no cost tap for brief speed boost. Hold to cast to place temporary ramp.
Third Ability: Homing Debuffs. Target enemies are immobilized, giving you a portion of their movement speed/Armor/Shield/ and any positive buff they have active. (You could for instance, steal an Ancient Healer's or Nullifier's ability for a time.)
Fourth Ability: Channeled skill. Mobilize. Using prosthetics and telekinesis, you're able to move as normal frames, gaining dramatically improved melee damage.
Exalted "K-drive" to mod your chair. Jump mods will not work, but offensive mods will with effectiveness tied to power str when incorporated with pulleys and grinds.

Just some rough ideas, OP. Lemme know what you think.

This is so funny I know your serious but seeing Abel on my team pressing three just to move like every other frame for a whilenLOL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kapn655321 said:

It's good for people to have something similar to themselves in their media. It's not good to be flat out mocked for it, so I guess I missed the mark?

Representation isn't always a good thing it needs to be properly done for it to be. And a disabled frame just dosent fit... 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, (PS4)sweatshawp said:

Representation isn't always a good thing it needs to be properly done for it to be. And a disabled frame just dosent fit... 

Depends how good the frame is. A disability forces ingenuity and perseverance, so that state of mind fits just fine. Perhaps it wouldn't be the frame for everybody, but for some people, it might, so long as it's tastefully done and respectful.

Besides, if someone's asking for representation, it may indeed be a good thing in this case. Our operators certainly weren't exactly the battle ready little beings they are now, and likewise.

We may just have to agree to disagree.. but in the spirit of overcoming adversity for the sake of being seen as an equal, I welcome the ideas for OPs sake if nothing else. Contribute or not, there's no need to stop this.

You know, after giving it some thought, a frame like that is possible in theory, even if you count in the bio-machine-super-soldier thing.

DE tried to experiment with mechanics that work through health consumption(Nekros Inaros Garuda), if disabled frame were to exist, in my mind it would be something akin to the way characters from Fire Punch/Chainsaw Man act. Said characters can basically sacrifice parts of their bodies to gain combat advantage or live after sustaining lethal amounts of damage, with all of it's consequences(severed and damaged limbs).

Basically, my idea is to have a frame that can sacrifice some of its functionality and drastically change in appearance after using it's abilities and/or being damaged. Problem is, not everyone will like it(because of how limiting it is) and it will require tremendous amount of effort from the devs. Frame without a leg or an arm would require new animations for pretty much every weapon type.

11 minutes ago, kapn655321 said:

Depends how good the frame is. A disability forces ingenuity and perseverance, so that state of mind fits just fine. Perhaps it wouldn't be the frame for everybody, but for some people, it might, so long as it's tastefully done and respectful.

Besides, if someone's asking for representation, it may indeed be a good thing in this case. Our operators certainly weren't exactly the battle ready little beings they are now, and likewise.

We may just have to agree to disagree.. but in the spirit of overcoming adversity for the sake of being seen as an equal, I welcome the ideas for OPs sake if nothing else. Contribute or not, there's no need to stop this.

He can be broken as crap but still what's the need or actual lore behind the frame why is a major question. Adding something just for someone to feel like their party is represented and nothing else is very disengious coming from a black dude who sees it happen nowadays with his race like it's candy

10 hours ago, o0Despair0o said:

You know... a "war"-frame is supposed to be able to fight.

What's the point in building a weapon that can't frickin fight? Are you gonna kill people by throwing insults at them?

No, because the over zealous DE Mods would insta ban your frame from all missions without explanation or reason, for an unspecified amount of time.

Edited by --Cyberius--

17 minutes ago, (PS4)sweatshawp said:

He can be broken as crap but still what's the need or actual lore behind the frame why is a major question. Adding something just for someone to feel like their party is represented and nothing else is very disengious coming from a black dude who sees it happen nowadays with his race like it's candy

You and others are right that implementing this within the game would strike many as senseless pandering. It's also harmless to draw up ideas for frame concepts, because that makes people feel like their voice is heard. If someone is disabled and seeking representation in game, it's likely that in their own life they're having a hard time with the own sense worth, and would like a chance to project and overcome that into their favorite power fantasy.

Of all the developers, DE has done stellar work to be emotionally impactful and meaningful, as well as respectful in their social commentary.. they've also been quite inclusive, as you would be right to point out, by not singling out any group in particular. Frame or no frame, it's no skin off my back to be supportive in their vision. As this thread has shown, it's entirely too divisive for DE to put in game. Perhaps it's due to me not being disabled that I don't see the value of shutting this idea down out of principle. Whatever the case, I'm suddenly stepping on egg shells in order to say, "neat idea, let's see where it takes us."  ...but I feel that might be worth it. Gut instinct, but this discussion is all upside down.

Edited by kapn655321

19 minutes ago, (PS4)sweatshawp said:

the lore reason is: because representation

Orokin were obsessed with perfection so of course they would create less than perfect genetically engineered biological weapons, because why would you not use someone who is physically disabled to turn into a living weapon?

this is the same madness as grendel.

people wanted a fat frame to feel represented and what did DE add?

a fat frame whose power is to eat people and roll around

Edited by Helch0rn

On 2020-01-20 at 3:21 PM, BaylenHay said:

I want a warframe that is disabled.

Maybe as they progress through fighting they regain their limbs or whatever.

Start out with like some cybernetic attachment and then with their powers they can gain extra abilities.

I dont know seems like a warframe they havent done yet.

What do you all think... I hope you understand where I am coming from.

This sounds like an amazing idea that hasn’t been done before. Why so many players laughed at this? New ideas are not welcomed except it’s to nerf someone?