Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Some advice on burn out please

(PSN)OriginalEquinox

Question

I've got a problem I could use some opinions on. With over a year of grinding and farming under my belt which is far more than I've given other games of the type, I've finally hit a burn out that doesn't seem to go away, haven't played much since Gauss released, only reason I got him or Grendel was because I didn't have anything to do with the 75% coupons I get (have another one wasting away right now), haven't even gotten that melee weapon from the Thumpers in POE let alone anything that came after it, haven't farmed Atlas prime or Ivara prime yet either, which brings me to my problem.

I'm tired of the same old RNG heavy grind this game has but I've put too much of my life into this game to just walk away.  MR27 with so many frames, weapons, cosmetics and mods that I put so much time and effort into getting, all the fun I've had and friends I've made, all of that can't just be forgotten right?  To be honest I don't WANT to leave either, but right now all I do is log in, wander aimlessly around the orbiter for a bit and go play something else, tried to get myself hyped for Railjack by after building the first part of the ship I lost interest in that as well.

Should I just let it go, or keep trying to play even though I no longer enjoy it? I know there are players here who've been around for much longer than me, how do you guys keep playing after so long? Is there something I missed or are you just hanging around because you invested money into it? Thanks for any advice

Edited by Haldos
Title edited by Moderator.

vor 11 Minuten schrieb (PS4)OriginalEquinox:

Should I just let it go, or keep trying to play even though I no longer enjoy it?

Definitely dont play when you arent enjoying it. You can always come back when something interesting happens, your account will still be here. Right now DE is only attempting to fix the mess that is railjack anyway so you wont miss anything.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, (PS4)OriginalEquinox said:

I've got a problem I could use some opinions on. With over a year of grinding and farming under my belt which is far more than I've given other games of the type, I've finally hit a burn out that doesn't seem to go away, haven't played much since Gauss released, only reason I got him or Grendel was because I didn't have anything to do with the 75% coupons I get (have another one wasting away right now), haven't even gotten that melee weapon from the Thumpers in POE let alone anything that came after it, haven't farmed Atlas prime or Ivara prime yet either, which brings me to my problem.

I'm tired of the same old RNG heavy grind this game has but I've put too much of my life into this game to just walk away.  MR27 with so many frames, weapons, cosmetics and mods that I put so much time and effort into getting, all the fun I've had and friends I've made, all of that can't just be forgotten right?  To be honest I don't WANT to leave either, but right now all I do is log in, wander aimlessly around the orbiter for a bit and go play something else, tried to get myself hyped for Railjack by after building the first part of the ship I lost interest in that as well.

Should I just let it go, or keep trying to play even though I no longer enjoy it? I know there are players here who've been around for much longer than me, how do you guys keep playing after so long? Is there something I missed or are you just hanging around because you invested money into it? Thanks for any advice

I felt the same as you did a year ago, I recently came back (4/5 weeks ago) and ready to put the game back down again. DE is lacking substance in it's releases, sad to say this game will face the same slow death as World of Warcraft. People only keep playing for nostalgia and the fact they put time and money into their character.

• Like 2

Just now, Joe_Barbarian said:

I felt the same as you did a year ago, I recently came back (4/5 weeks ago) and ready to put the game back down again. DE is lacking substance in it's releases, sad to say this game will face the same slow death as World of Warcraft. People only keep playing for nostalgia and the fact they put time and money into their character.

Now this we can agree on 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, (PS4)OriginalEquinox said:

Things

Just walk away for a bit man. I just came back after about a 100 day hiatus my self. It accomplishes two things, gives you a break and time to play something else for a bit and gives DE time to make changes or update the game with something hopefully fresh and exciting to you. Find another title for a bit, Jedi Fallen Order was fabulous imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, (PS4)OriginalEquinox said:

take a few months break from the game... thats what i do when i burnout on the grind... been playing since closed beta and once took a 7 month breake from the game my last break was about 2 months...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (PS4)OriginalEquinox said:

Should I just let it go, or keep trying to play even though I no longer enjoy it?

you could just leave until the next update.. if you still care enough about the game then it might be best to step back for a bit to prevent burnout. you certainly aren't missing out since it seems like we'll be waiting another week or tow for any news on an update, and we'll only be getting fixes anyhow due to borked Railjack is.  personally I'm just going for all the Lich weapons, with 4 remaining. if I get everything I want before more content is added, then I just wait until we get more content. maybe play something else, like an old game you have fond memories of. I've done that with the old Borderlands games, it's a nice break for me from the usual grind when I get tired from it. also Titanfall 2, which was a pleasant surprise.

you just need another thing to occupy you and make you forget about Warframe until you're ready to go back of your own volition.

• Like 1

Oof. The sunk cost fallacy in action. You don't just "let it go" or "forget it" because you've already enjoyed uncountable hours. Do you simply forget that movie you just went to see in 3D? No! You had a good time (hopefully with a cutie) and you enjoyed yourself, now it's time to move on to the next page of your life (where you go get drinks and see where the night takes you). Enjoy 🙂

• Like 2

As someone who has played for a very VERY long time (Since WF went open beta on steam in update 7 I think), once I had established myself as a "veteran" and the intitial rush of exploration and learning had begun to wane, and I had achieved what I wanted for myself, I turned my focus into helping others. New players, people struggling, if someone didn't understand something I put my knowledge to use to make things easier for them. That, however, is who I am as a person and no way could be the solution for everyone.

Over all, I still very much enjoy the core gameplay of Warframe, and I didn't get into it because I had a goal in mind. I never cared about RNG, loot or achieving some kind of plateau of power. I was intrigued by the world, I liked the fast paced shooting, I just really liked playing and wanted to keep playing. That love of the gameplay hasn't gone away because the core of the game hasn't changed all that much. 

I would suggest evaluating what your goal is, and whether its something that you'll be satisfied with when you get it. If playing is a chore and the reward isn't helping, I'd say its not worth your time. For me, helping others is the goal and that always makes me feel rewarded when someone goes "OHhhhhh, now I get it" or "YES! I finally finished the quest, thank you for the help!"

• Like 2

When did you decide not to go after atlas or ivara??   Newrelics/primes are like tsunami's.  There is a huge initial rush for for the stuff where you can hook up with randoms and get it done easy peasy, and then after a week or two its nearly completely dead,  and putting together a group is all but impossible.  So did you not get those because you missed the wave or you just didnt have an interest in getting them?  

My first reason for playing is that I enjoy most of it.  Nightwaves/Liches/Railjack are the biggest draws right now.   I also watch recruit for people who need help.  I watch alerts for orokin stuff or forma.  I do relics just to get forma.  I got super low with liches and new frames and stuff lol.  

My second reason would be GREED.  I enjoy farming standing for Fortuna/Cetus.  Buy stuff there to sell.  I spent 20$ back when I started for plat... I have had over 8k plat since then.  Most of the time I use it for myself but sometimes I use it on others.  But unfortunately for loong periods of time I get sucked into trade chat and sit there looking for deals for hours on end.  (not lately though lol).  

But its usually just the 1st reason that makes continue playing.  Spending time with my fav frames or forcing myself to use different frames.   Trying different weapons.   Unfortunately I am a casual player so I dont enjoy crap like tridolons or arbitrations or hour long anythings lol.  So most of my time in game is wasted just farting around in low level content (starchart and stuff).  

--------------------

You dont have to go 100% or 0% though man.....  Right now I log in for daily NW stuff and then I take off and play other games.   I went after Ivara  which only took a day because I rode the wave lol.  I would kinda like the Aksomati prime but eh its barely any better, and I done missed the wave lol..  But some days i am in and out super fast.  Other days I dump all my time in.   

Maybe your burn out is deeper than that.  maybe your in more of a RUT than burn out.  Use warframes and weapons you dont ever use.   Look at your profile and check out your gear and filter it by usage.  You may see some really wierd or interesting things.  Use that to look for new ways to play the game  

----------------

ps:  God Eater 3 is bad ass and hands down the best monster hunter type game even more than monster hunter lol.    God Eater 3 > Toukaiden 2 > any monster hunter.  GE3 is what I have been playing.  I got to the end and was losing interest in it after beating the story but I have found some inspiration at the end so im not done yet.....  after I do finish with it....  I got pretty deep into Horizon Zero but I stopped and never finished.  I baught the complete edition for xmas and am gonna start over from scratch in that.

Although... I went through God Eater only using 1 weapon type.  I need to make more characters and experience other weapons but that sounds pretty insane lol....   I can use all the weapons on the character I have but I would rather make 1 character for each weapon.  

I also have My Hero Academy 1 to try out... and get back to Senran Kagura: Peach Beach AND.... The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2.  

But freaking warframe keeps getting in the way damn it.

• Like 2

I find the people who don't get bored tend to be in it for the social aspects and mechanics rather than the rewards. There's nothing wrong with playing just for progression and rewards, but that goal has an certain and finite expiration date. It takes less than 52 hours for the brain to no longer feel the appreciation of a reward, generally less than half that time. Past that, we're chasing that thrill, as it gets lost forever to time. There is no possible conceivable way for DE to release satisfying content every 24 hours.. so, there's a limit to that.

Running a clan to help new and returning players, loot giveaways, modding to explore bizarre combinations rather than efficient ones, Shawzin and K-drive just for fun.. those kinds of things call on different systems in us, that are far more sustainable. It all depends if you see the grind as a means to an end, or just something in the background while you play the most super coolest action figures in the history of ever with the boys. "Buy experiences instead of stuff," essentially.

Another thing to consider with the RNG is the effect of cognitive dissonance. We are more compelled to find the enjoyment within an experience when we're not given quite enough of a payout. This is the only mechanic DE has to keep progression/reward only players engaged long term. ...Well that, and being generally upset about things in the forum. They're doing everything they can to give you guys a means to appreciate the game for longer, but in the most recent cases, it's a bit off center of that goal.

You may also have a lot going on in your life right now, which tends to cause people to focus more on short term goals and less on long term.. Maybe there's no glory in conquest when you're using the best stuff, because it's just a little too easy..

Spoiler

Video is linked at a time relevant.. involving the difficulty of selling Boxed Cake mixes, and the bizarre solution to make them sell and appreciate better in the market.

For now, don't feel pressured to play.. games are supposed to be fun, and perhaps at this point in time you may just be seeking something more than they can offer, which is great frankly. You should seek those things, and be happy doing it. Go have some experiences, enjoy the call of the wild, get some strange, whatever sounds good to you my dude. If you're ever back on, hopefully you'll have some new perspective.. or if nothing else, they'll have some new loot for you.

Best of luck, Tenno.

Edited by kapn655321
  • Like 1

@(PS4)AbBaNdOn_  I missed the initial farm waves because of irl stuff, then tried to solo farm but barely got past the first few minutes in a survival or whatever before leaving the mission.

@Haldos  I help others quite a bit actually, not with hard carrying them through missions but with information or mods and such if I have some to spare,  it's nice to do so because I spent most of my early weeks running around wondering what this is and what that is and it almost made me leave lol

@kapn655321  I definitely play to get everything the game has, it's the only option I have because most of my clanmates are asleep when I log in because of different timezones and all that nonsense, so unless I stay up late at night I miss them for days at a time which leaves me with nothing but farming to do.

Anyway thanks for your time guys, I'll delete the game next time I log on and go play Borderlands 3 or something for a while,  maybe the next cinematic quest will be worth returning to, happy farming all .

53 minutes ago, (PS4)OriginalEquinox said:

Anyway thanks for your time guys, I'll delete the game next time I log on and go play Borderlands 3 or something for a while,  maybe the next cinematic quest will be worth returning to, happy farming all .

And if there's anything later on that catches your eye, don't be a stranger. ^_^

• Like 1

I am not sure if:
1) you want to play the game because there is "something to do" or "could possibly miss out something", but you are not motivated because you don't feel the achievement of doing that
2) you are not in the mood to play the game

Either way it's a good time to just ignore everything happening in the game and play it whenever you really want to play. Take a break from it.
Everything in the game is inclusive unless stated. The only thing that I would do is daily login. Just login and quit the game. When the time comes, you would be highly motivated to switch on the game again.

Speaking as a player who took a 3 years break from 2016~2019, then play 3~5hours per day after return as of now.

Edited by SHArK-FiN
  • Like 1

I started playing May 2013, found it incomprehensible and quit.  A friend started playing over Christmas 2013 and I came back then stayed until 2017. I took 6 months out and came back for PoE then stayed until last year.  Since then I've taken a couple of shorter breaks of a couple of months.  Right now I'm part time with this and Destiny 2.

Mostly I play with friends and I don't do heavy grind just enjoy my time.  When I've been bored I've generally found people to help out and give advice.

Don't force yourself to login and play, you'll just end up hating it.  

Either find a project or take a break.

Edited by Sabreracer
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, (PS4)OriginalEquinox said:

Don't play it if you don't enjoy it. I went through the same thing with Destiny 2, but hung around because they push the FOMO SO DAMNED HARD on that game and ended up hating it (and Bungie don't even seem to want players who've left to return because they've just been layering bad decision on top of bad decision since the start of last year).

Walk away from it and try something else and then pop back in if something catches your eye or if you just feel the urge to jump back in.

• Like 1

Dunno if you a solo or clan type person. I recently met two people from another clan that seemed pretty cool. we were murmur farming and connected pretty well. I was on a similar trajectory in regards to grind burnout. as we started playing together more often I found that I was having fun just helping them out with different tasks rather than concentrating on my own specific needs. It was odd in a way where I realized that in helping them, I had realized there were other things I could be doing with my time in the game. Just even having exposure to new people in WF can liven up the game and get you out of a rut. Hang out in the recruiting channel for a while. it's not a sure fix of course, but it may help.      

• Like 1

advice? well, the game offers literally nothing other than collecting stuff for no reason at all other than to stick it in a box and ignore it.
if you're bored of collecting stuff without anything to do with the stuff you're collecting, there isn't really any way to change that.

you could probably distract yourself by helping someone(s) else or coming up with artificial personal goals, but that won't change the reality. if you're bored with the reality, then you're bored with the reality.
if you're then essentially waiting for something to actually do in the game other than new ways to collect trinkets, join the club.

• Like 1