Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Railjack 2020: The Controller Users' Dystopian Future?

1000_Up

The controller setup for Railjack has been partially completed since its release over a month ago. Some examples from other players:

Controller keybinds (Railjack, Railjack related, etc...)

Can you use an Xbox controller on pc to play warframe?

Please fix railjack controls for gamepads. Multiple controls are not mappable at all. +more issues

If it takes time to create the same quality of controls as main game, that's understandable.

• But uncontrollable cross-hair sensitivity?
  • Only being able to dash vertically down in your ship (and only after you figure out the in-game instructions are wrong)?
  • Broken/non-functional customization buttons?

You get a Melee Weapon stance error for your dimension hopping spaceship if you even try to change the Move Down/Blink button. For over a month and a half.

excited jimmy fallon GIF

This isn't a random glitch. Seems too widespread to be an oversight, since some of it affects consoles, seems like it would also affect anyone who depends on having other input options due to disabilities.  

I'm not a programmer, I don't know why numerous cosmetic updates have come first over any of these basic controller fixes. I do know that feels bad man for those of us who have and want to support the game. 

The real concern is: Is this how it's going to work for Duviri Paradox and into the future? Doesn't make sense to get excited for new game modes if controls are weeks/months down the the developer's to do list.  

Edited by 1000_Up
Been more than a month now.

Bump. 

I play exclusively with a controller on PC and I only just realized that I wasnt able to properly Vector Manuver or Drift. 

I personally cannot game for any meaningful length of time with mouse and keyboard as my hands and wrists end up in excruciating pain after like 30min. 

Its kind of annoying that salty min/maxers get attention over reactor buffs but i still cant even use a basic function of the game mode. 

Even a brief acknowledgment of the issue would be really appreciated.

I finally got some battle avionics and was excited to use them, but unfortunately trying to trigger them once often leads to them being cast multiple times. I figure the console players must have a functional set of controls but by the sound of it they don't either. If they do, then it should be there on pc too. If not, this really needs fixing.

On 2020-01-21 at 3:54 PM, Amoral_Support said:

Bump. 

I play exclusively with a controller on PC and I only just realized that I wasnt able to properly Vector Manuver or Drift. 

I personally cannot game for any meaningful length of time with mouse and keyboard as my hands and wrists end up in excruciating pain after like 30min. 

Its kind of annoying that salty min/maxers get attention over reactor buffs but i still cant even use a basic function of the game mode. 

Even a brief acknowledgment of the issue would be really appreciated.

Agreed, more communication would help a lot. I can see there being bigger fires to put out, mouse & keyboard is their bread and butter, but some of this seems baffling. Maybe we should try to post as quick as possible like @Voltage, lol.  Be at the very top of the devstream and update comments.

Edited by 1000_Up

On 2020-01-21 at 5:27 PM, Anvillior said:

I finally got some battle avionics and was excited to use them, but unfortunately trying to trigger them once often leads to them being cast multiple times. I figure the console players must have a functional set of controls but by the sound of it they don't either. If they do, then it should be there on pc too. If not, this really needs fixing.

Yeah, I went through the same thing after spending intrinsics on the pilot Vector Maneuver, excitement followed by a general feeling of "why you do me like dat?".

It's all definitely frustrating. I use a controller for accessibility reasons as I've got some lasting damage from a long-ago hand injury. I get on some level that PC controller users are a small segment of the playerbase. But for console players, controllers are simply what they have available, and they're not a terribly small group. These things need to work, and they don't.

Edited by Andvarja

Ive some improvements by mapping boost to *B*. I can Vector and Drift with *RS* but there are still some functions weirdly hard mapped to different buttons. The ability menu still isnt a thing for some reason as it soft locks the menu. Id really like it if i could cycle through battle avionics and tactical avionics with the d-pad and use the ability with *Y* just as an example.

Also being able to enter the tactical menu with up or down on the d-pad would be really cool.

I personally dont find the move up and down functions useful, but could we possibly have that attached to a combination of the bumper buttons and stick input? 

Edited by Amoral_Support
Added suggestions
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Amoral_Support said:

Ive some improvements by mapping boost to *B*. I can Vector and Drift with *RS* but there are still some functions weirdly hard mapped to different buttons. The ability menu still isnt a thing for some reason as it soft locks the menu. Id really like it if i could cycle through battle avionics and tactical avionics with the d-pad and use the ability with *Y* just as an example.

Also being able to enter the tactical menu with up or down on the d-pad would be really cool.

I personally dont find the move up and down functions useful, but could we possibly have that attached to a combination of the bumper buttons and stick input? 

It is good to hear there may be options, especially for those who need to use a controller due to injuries, kudos for fighting the good fight. After this long, it really is the something the devs need to take point on. The fun to debugging ratio is way off right now for something as basic as controls, I don't think it's worth our time/business. 

13 hours ago, Andvarja said:

It's all definitely frustrating. I use a controller for accessibility reasons as I've got some lasting damage from a long-ago hand injury. I get on some level that PC controller users are a small segment of the playerbase. But for console players, controllers are simply what they have available, and they're not a terribly small group. These things need to work, and they don't.

I've said it before and I'll say it again but I'm really confused as to why this continues to be a problem.  Three of the four platforms use controllers by default so how is making sure the controls work not a top priority?  Nothing about the railjack controller configuration makes any sense at all.  Buttons are unused by default despite commands being left unbound, vector only goes down, there's the weird melee stance error, I have to strategically place the tactical menu under general controls and then leave that button blank on railjack controls to use it, and I have no idea why the controls for cycling through abilities are called "switch primary" and "switch secondary".  There are so many problems all at once that it's frankly bizarre.  I use controller by preference so I can't imagine how frustrating this all must be for someone who uses it by necessity.

2 hours ago, UnderRevision said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again but I'm really confused as to why this continues to be a problem.  Three of the four platforms use controllers by default so how is making sure the controls work not a top priority?  Nothing about the railjack controller configuration makes any sense at all.  Buttons are unused by default despite commands being left unbound, vector only goes down, there's the weird melee stance error, I have to strategically place the tactical menu under general controls and then leave that button blank on railjack controls to use it, and I have no idea why the controls for cycling through abilities are called "switch primary" and "switch secondary".  There are so many problems all at once that it's frankly bizarre.  I use controller by preference so I can't imagine how frustrating this all must be for someone who uses it by necessity.

Im actually fine with PC players basically being beta-testers as its fun to be involved with a game as ambitious and ever evolving as Warframe. I just worry that players like me will be drowned out by other (sometimes valid, sometimes annoying) concerns. Id be willing to beta test Warframe for free on my own time if it meant there was a way to reliably interact with DE that didnt involve having to compete with the S#&$ head squadron that occasionally dominates the discourse in Warframe.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Amoral_Support said:

Im actually fine with PC players basically being beta-testers as its fun to be involved with a game as ambitious and ever evolving as Warframe. I just worry that players like me will be drowned out by other (sometimes valid, sometimes annoying) concerns. Id be willing to beta test Warframe for free on my own time if it meant there was a way to reliably interact with DE that didnt involve having to compete with the S#&$ head squadron that occasionally dominates the discourse in Warframe.

Oh, I've got no problem with beta testing.  I love Warframe, and I love DE's restless ambition that leads them to try things like railjack where other developers content themselves with nothing but skins and lootboxes.  And I understand that even a hundred dedicated QA people will never find as many bugs as a hundred thousand players will just by sheer weight of numbers.  But in this specific case I'm questioning the priority these control issues have been given.  I'm happy to "test" controls before they go to console but they really ought to be fixed before being sent along to console.  I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds for railjack and I'd like to be able to experience it properly when it gets here.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Amoral_Support said:

Im actually fine with PC players basically being beta-testers as its fun to be involved with a game as ambitious and ever evolving as Warframe.

I agree, but the controller setup this time is so egregiously messed up, and has been for so long, that it's below what I think even a reasonable beta-tester would be expected to accept. It seems at this point that like Path of Exile or other games, they just don't have the resources and/or controller's just not the dev team's style of play for PC.

Has a kind of unpleasant Rick Rolly feeling to it, but probably better knowing now, to make better decisions about supporting them in the future. 

200.gif

Edited by 1000_Up

18 hours ago, -CASTRADOMIS- said:

Yeah they really need to take a good look at controller support. 

On top of the fact that with Railjack, they reduced the number of buttons available to use or customize.  There's one that's not only unused by default, but you're blocked from changing it to anything at all. I think it makes sense to think of controller support in general the same way as console support. For whatever technical/business reason that part of the player base is likely to be weeks to months behind.  

Edited by 1000_Up

On 2020-01-25 at 1:09 AM, -CASTRADOMIS- said:

Yeah they really need to take a good look at controller support. The more functions they add to a key the harder it is to bind. Accessing gear wheel emotes still doesn't work on controller by default and when I bind the key it messes up menu controls.

Same bro same... also shawzins don't work with controllers either, nor does the blink function and other asociated abilities (afaik from my own experience) wich is really not cool when you need these things to work! (shawzin is optional)

2 hours ago, nicolajtheking2 said:

Same bro same... also shawzins don't work with controllers either, nor does the blink function and other asociated abilities (afaik from my own experience) wich is really not cool when you need these things to work! (shawzin is optional)

Shazwin's are emotes I think, they worked fine for me after I added it. Archwing blink worked fine for me, Railjack "blink" aka Vector Maneuver only moves vertically down for me. 

6 minutes ago, 1000_Up said:

Shazwin's are emotes I think, they worked fine for me after I added it. Archwing blink worked fine for me, Railjack "blink" aka Vector Maneuver only moves vertically down for me. 

Well nothing seems to work for me though... wich REALLY sucks, y'know since i BOUGHT a shawzin and am unable to use it or even switch over to emotes with my (PS4)controller.

I can't even do railjack since i don't have the mose ESSENTIAL ability availabe for me to use: 'BLINK'

And archwing is just borked, it has been like that since a little before empyrean IMO.

12 hours ago, Kapcak said:

I play with controller on PC. Today I stuck at login page being unable to enter password (screen keyboard doesn't appear). Does anyone have same issue?

You need to be using Steam's big picture mode for the virtual keyboard. Reason it's not there from the get go is because a lot of people play with a keyboard in front (like me, I type directly with keyboard without submenus in the way).

On 2020-02-01 at 2:43 AM, Kapcak said:

I play with controller on PC. Today I stuck at login page being unable to enter password (screen keyboard doesn't appear). Does anyone have same issue?

I get locked out when using big picture mode in the same way you describe, what worked for me was going into Steam settings and forcing Big Picture mode off. 

It's such complete and utter b*llsh*t that the controller users are being left behind like an after-thought no-one wants to acknowledge.

I can't use 'blink' i can't use about 90% of my railjack and i can't even use my shawzin, like WTF is this!? all this time and enegy heh even money and i'm still left behind... it's sad really, don't get me wrong i'm not mad just VERY VERY VERY dissapointed.

Edited by nicolajtheking2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, nicolajtheking2 said:

It's such complete and utter b*llsh*t that the controller users are being left behind like an after-thought no-one wants to acknowledge.

I can't use 'blink' i can't use about 90% of my railjack and i can't even use my shawzin, like WTF is this!? all this time and enegy heh even money and i'm still left behind... it's sad really, don't get me wrong i'm not mad just VERY VERY VERY dissapointed.

It does suck that they took the most hyped feature for the last several years and then stopped bothering with controller support.

• Like 1