Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

You're gonna love this Oberon rework, let me tell ya

Hella_Jeff

So, the goal of this rework is to tweak Oberon in fairly minor ways, since the consensus seems to be that he's pretty solid in terms of power and usefulness, in order to give his basic kit more synergy and a more coherent framework to base a playstyle around. I wanted to emphasize Oberon's support/attack hybrid role and drew heavily from his druid/pagan priest aesthetic to come up with some of the more extensive changes.

The hallowed ground effect (as opposed to the skill Hallowed Ground) is a focal point that this kit is built around, and as such some changes are made to how it works: the hallowed ground effect no longer stacks, but a new effect that overlaps with an existing effect would merely refresh it on top of filling out the empty space. The hallowed ground effect now also has a healing effect for allies that stand within it, possibly around the same as Renewal's persistent healing effect. The hallowed ground effect's area should be made more noticeable, and there should be an effect added that makes it possible to tell how close it is to expiring just by glancing at it, perhaps by the plant graphics slowly wilting and de-saturating as its timer runs out.

Passive:

Spoiler

Replace with a passive that refreshes any hallowed ground effect within a small radius of an enemy that Oberon damages in any way by a small amount. Enemies that Oberon kills lay new hallowed ground within a medium radius.

Rationale:

Spoiler

This would create a deep synergy between Oberon's playstyle and the rest of his kit, tying everything together nicely. It would also allow Oberon to make use of his kit while mobile, since he wouldn't be forced to stick close to patches of already-laid hallowed ground and could do some refreshing from range, he wouldn't be confined to areas in which he's used skills to create hallowed ground, and it gives him options to plant some hedges without spending energy.

Hallowed Ground:

Spoiler

No serious changes to the skill itself, other than changes to the hallowed ground effect. Perhaps some balance tweaks would be in order, to be determined during testing.

Rationale:

Spoiler

This skill would work fine how it is with the new kit, a quick way to lay down a large patch of hallowed ground at skill cost, to coat an area that you expect to be defending for a period.

Renewal:

Spoiler

No longer leaves a healing aura: only has the initial wave component that heals upfront; however, the radius of the healing wave is increased (possibly to affinity range, so that Oberon could actually make use of the Mending Unity ability in the Vazarin focus) and fully refreshes all hallowed ground effects that it passes over. Still grants buff to allies that are hit by the wave while standing on hallowed ground, but the buff is slightly different: it can no longer be made persistent by standing in hallowed ground (always has a timer), but - on top of the armour buff – it also grants the hallowed ground heal-over-time effect and allows the wearer to leave small hallowed ground areas with their footsteps. Possibly moved to skill 4 for balance purposes.

Rationale:

Spoiler

This would have some burst healing capability, as it does now, but it would be more about preserving your hallowed ground effects and giving allies the buff, and then working with them to spread more hallowed ground.

Reckoning:

Spoiler

Only change is that, instead of dropping health orbs if killed by this attack, enemies who are slammed into the ground lay a medium area of hallowed ground, and enemies that are killed by the attack lay a large area. Possibly moved to number 3 for balance purposes.

Rationale:

Spoiler

Just a minor change that gives it more of a purpose and ties it in with the new kit's synergy.

Smite:

Spoiler

Most significant change. Replace with an ability that launches an energy spear or javelin in a long arc that debuffs enemies that it passes over in a fairly large width and from very far above. The javelin itself does damage to a single target if it hits, but the debuff gives any Warframe that kills this enemy a stacking damage buff and treats any of Oberon's allies that shoot or kill the enemy as if they had Oberon's passive - perhaps also increasing the effectiveness of Oberon's passive if he's the one shooting.

Rationale:

Spoiler

This is something taken out of the legends of the Vikings, where they would throw a spear over the heads of an enemy army that they were about to fight and dedicate all of the slain enemies to Odin. I've taken that and turned it into a sort of "sanctifying" thing (Oberon makes the ground holy, why not enemy kills too?). This allows him to keep his ranged attack while integrating it better into the kit synergy, gives him some long-range options for planting grass, gives him an offensive buff to compliment the defensive buff, and it allows for your allies to cooperate and help you lay down some hallowed ground using teamwork.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk, like and subscribe, let me know what you think in the comments below.

I don't quite get it. Oberon is sort of the model for ability synergy bonuses. As he works now, the Hallowed Ground he lays out is his territory, and all of his abilities get bonuses in that area. I also think it's kinda hard to miss, what with the glowing ground and the grass, so I'm not sure what making it more "noticeable" means. 

Replacing Smite with a "called shot" mark via a pretty javelin effect, causing affected enemies to give whoever kills them a buff, is a really neat idea. I like that quite a lot. Smite as it stands is one of those awful "thematically flavored basic magic projectile" abilities that so many frames have and almost none benefit from, except as something for an augment to turn into a weapon buff. This sounds a lot more fun. Keep the current augment, though. = ]

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CopperBezel said:

I don't quite get it. Oberon is sort of the model for ability synergy bonuses. As he works now, the Hallowed Ground he lays out is his territory, and all of his abilities get bonuses in that area. I also think it's kinda hard to miss, what with the glowing ground and the grass, so I'm not sure what making it more "noticeable" means. 

Oberon is the model for bad ability synergy , his kit is forced to work together due to combo bonus instead of the skills naturally flowing into each other. Harrow and Nidus started the synergy train.

17 hours ago, Hella_Jeff said:

This is something taken out of the legends of the Vikings, where they would throw a spear over the heads of an enemy army that they were about to fight and dedicate all of the slain enemies to Odin.

Druid, paladin, where is Viking dedications to Odin fitting into his theme?

8 hours ago, CopperBezel said:

Replacing Smite with a "called shot" mark via a pretty javelin effect, causing affected enemies to give whoever kills them a buff, is a really neat idea. I like that quite a lot. Smite as it stands is one of those awful "thematically flavored basic magic projectile" abilities that so many frames have and almost none benefit from, except as something for an augment to turn into a weapon buff. This sounds a lot more fun. Keep the current augment, though. = ]

I agree with the poster below you, I think Oberon's skill synergy is actually pretty nonexistent. There's the somewhat artificial armor buff from Renewal+Hallowed Ground and... That seems to be it. Unless I'm mistaken, there are no other interactions between his abilities or his passive, nor even interactions with radiation damage or procs, and I don't recall Smite or Reckoning being affected by being on Hallowed Ground. Correct me if I'm wrong, I can't check right this instance.

As far as augments are concerned, I could see the current Smite augment working with limited tweaks to get it to fit the new ability.

24 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Druid, paladin, where is Viking dedications to Odin fitting into his theme?

I reached for it by way of Druid->pagan priest->Viking dedications to Odin; sanctifying ground ->sanctifying your enemies, but let's not get too hung up on that. More importantly, it's cool, it's significantly more useful than Smite as it stands, and it interacts with the kit more than not at all.

5 minutes ago, Hella_Jeff said:

it's significantly more useful than Smite as it stands

A ranged attack with travel time and an arc that just gives a debuff, vs an instant cast, instant damage ability that then produces seekers that scale with the HP of an enemy and inflicts Rad procs that cause enemies to target everything else.

The least you could do is fit your idea into theme.

• Like 2

If I see Oberon in the title I shall appear. 

I agree with some better synergy, but without significantly changing any powers. Hallowed Ground is able to be recast and it doesn't take that much energy as it is, so you can easily spam it and cover a lot of territory. One thing I could see is while HG is on if you cast Smite it extends it depending on how many enemies are hit. I wouldn't want to see Smite changed that much since it has multiple effects as it is right now, deals damage then seeks other enemies to also damage, all the while inflicting radiation damage and frenzying enemies, which comes in very useful at high levels. I think if he had his existing jack of all trades kit, and good synergy between the powers then he'd be even better, especially at high levels. 

58 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

A ranged attack with travel time and an arc that just gives a debuff, vs an instant cast, instant damage ability that then produces seekers that scale with the HP of an enemy and inflicts Rad procs that cause enemies to target everything else.

The least you could do is fit your idea into theme.

I mean, your logic begs the question of how Smite's current mechanics fit the theme of a Paladin/Druid moreso than my proposal, but I hear you. Upon retrospect, though, I suppose you could merely attach the proposed debuff to enemies struck by Smite itself or the small homing projectiles. How does that sound?

2 hours ago, Hella_Jeff said:

I agree with the poster below you, I think Oberon's skill synergy is actually pretty nonexistent. There's the somewhat artificial armor buff from Renewal+Hallowed Ground and... That seems to be it. Unless I'm mistaken, there are no other interactions between his abilities or his passive, nor even interactions with radiation damage or procs, and I don't recall Smite or Reckoning being affected by being on Hallowed Ground. Correct me if I'm wrong, I can't check right this instance.

Reckoning does get a % armor strip that applies after the damage. Smite doesn't get anything - I'd thought it had a damage buff of some kind but that's not the case. The Renewal synergy armor buff does at least scale with power strength, but with a base of 200, it's not going to be useful to anyone with decent armor (for instance, Oberon himself) or using Arcane Guardian etc.

I definitely think Hallowed Ground refreshing on a new cast - maybe limit the number of areas to 10 or so and refresh all their durations on a new cast - would be a nice change. And Smite extracting a Tribute, maybe with doubled effects while on an HG, would be just fantastic.

23 hours ago, Hella_Jeff said:

I mean, your logic begs the question of how Smite's current mechanics fit the theme of a Paladin/Druid moreso than my proposal, but I hear you. Upon retrospect, though, I suppose you could merely attach the proposed debuff to enemies struck by Smite itself or the small homing projectiles. How does that sound?

The theme of Oberon is Paladin/ Druid/ Forest Guardian, magic is not that far fetched with those kinds of characters. And I'd like the debuff to be added to the existing power instead of changing it, the instant damage then seekers is why I like Smite so much.