Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do Toroids still show up in caves?

(NSW)Smashbrolink

Question

So I'm not strong enough to farm Alert 4 enemies from signal beacons to get Toroids.

I heard, however, that there's 14 specific caves they can pop up in at random.

So I made a point of loc-pinning them and doing a few runs.

Three runs of all 14 caves, and not a single Toroid...

There's no way such abysmal odds are normal.

Do they just not spawn in caves anymore?

If not, then what's a good way to farm them solo, without needing a full end-game set-up for high-end beacon enemy farming?

10 answers to this question

The drop rates in caves have always been like this.

I don't know which frames you have and your mods, but it shouldn't be too difficult to farm them at their main drop locations.
Of course it's nice to have one of the loot frames, but any tanky frame with a good weapon should be fine.

8 minutes ago, gluih said:

The drop rates in caves have always been like this.

I don't know which frames you have and your mods, but it shouldn't be too difficult to farm them at their main drop locations.
Of course it's nice to have one of the loot frames, but any tanky frame with a good weapon should be fine.

Loot frames? Do Necros/Hydros even help with enhancing world-item drop chances?

Far as I'm aware, they only affect enemy drops...

And I don't have any specialty syndicate mods linked to loot chances for either of them.

37 minutes ago, (NSW)Smashbrolink said:

There's no way such abysmal odds are normal.

That is normal, I am afraid. I used to think like you and farmed toroid from caves, then I gave up after 2 hours of farming for only 9 toroids.

Have you tried farming as a squad? Alert 4 is similar to ~lv60 survival, it's not as hard as you think. The problem is alert 4 has a really steep level inclination over time therefore if you don't have decent build you won't be able to stay long.

Even if you still want to stick with solo farm, just farm them at alert 1. The starting enemies also drop toroids, and from my experience farming from resetting an instance is much faster than grinding caves.  Provided that you have itzal to speed up traveling between fortuna and one of the 3 bases. Kill the starting enemies, go back gate then enter again to force spawn new enemies in the bases.  I used this technique to grab quick toroids when I needed them for crafting.

Edited by SHArK-FiN

1 minute ago, (NSW)Smashbrolink said:

Loot frames? Do Necros/Hydros even help with enhancing world-item drop chances?

Far as I'm aware, they only affect enemy drops...

And I don't have any specialty syndicate mods linked to loot chances for either of them.

Sorry, I should have been clearer about this.

Don't try to farm toroids in the caves. It gets you nowhere. The frames also don't affect this, but that's not really important.

I mean loot frames are nice for farming at the 3 bases. Nekros 3 allows you to get extra loot without an augment, but you want the augment anyway, because it allows you to use health instead of energy.

35 minutes ago, gluih said:

Sorry, I should have been clearer about this.

Don't try to farm toroids in the caves. It gets you nowhere. The frames also don't affect this, but that's not really important.

I mean loot frames are nice for farming at the 3 bases. Nekros 3 allows you to get extra loot without an augment, but you want the augment anyway, because it allows you to use health instead of energy.

And why would I want to use health instead? I die fast enough as-is against high level enemies, so why would I want to expedite that?

5 minutes ago, (NSW)Smashbrolink said:

And why would I want to use health instead? I die fast enough as-is against high level enemies, so why would I want to expedite that?

You just run out of energy without the augment.
How desecrate works is, you activate an ability and it triggers when enemies are lying around dead. When it triggers it makes the enemy drop a health orb and it gives an extra loot roll. So you get more health back, than you pay.

I guess you don't have good ways to heal back up quickly?

48 minutes ago, gluih said:

You just run out of energy without the augment.
How desecrate works is, you activate an ability and it triggers when enemies are lying around dead. When it triggers it makes the enemy drop a health orb and it gives an extra loot roll. So you get more health back, than you pay.

I guess you don't have good ways to heal back up quickly?

I have Equilibrium, Life Strike, and Healing Return, on top of a low-rank Magus Vigor, but that's it as far as I'm aware...

13 minutes ago, (NSW)Smashbrolink said:

I have Equilibrium, Life Strike, and Healing Return, on top of a low-rank Magus Vigor, but that's it as far as I'm aware...

I prefer life strike, especially with the new melee system. So at least that shouldn't be the problem.

Caves are unbearably slow for toroid farm, if they drop there at all. That’s really an old school method. Go to the 3-4 “zones” they drop and spend some time there. They will drop from enemies way before level 4. Nekros and a Smeeta are great, get in a corner and fight.  But so is Nova or a tank frame to stay in the fight longer.  Doing the second Orb mother mission solo (the quick one) and sticking around and farming is also good with a resource drop chance booster. Ull have a few hundred in no time.