Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Vay Hek unaffordable?

Matsetes

Question

Hi everyone! I'm a quite new Tenno with only 100 hours and MR 5 in the game. I'm actually at the end of Ceres and when I unlocked MR5 I went doing the Vay Hek mission on Earth that was locked.

Right now, I tried it 5 times and I keep dying after a loooong loooong boss fight. I put corrosive in my rifle, but nothing changed significantly...

I am actually using Rhino and I have a mastered Excalibur so I cannot follow guides that uses late game warframes with late game mods

I already skipped a mission on Mars that I understood being too difficult for a regular player, but I just cannot understand why this boss is now available to me if it's too difficult, so I guess I am missing something.

100 hours and just mr5... thats kinda slow ngl but not gonna judge

Vay Hek is not your concern at this point anyways, whether you unlocked it or not doesn't matter, before doing that kind of thing I recommend you do the main quests and get better equipment. If you want I can play with you once I am home.

2 minutes ago, Matsetes said:

I just cannot understand why this boss is now available to me if it's too difficult, so I guess I am missing something.

Like you said, it's unlocked via Mastery Rank.

Alas, MR means very little in regards to the "power level" of a player, both in regards to gear as well as knowledge / skill,
you could be MR5 and have "proper endgame" setups, or be MR28 and not understand half the game's mechanics 😛

If your gear underperforms, it might just be that you need better Mods / to get upgrades to your current weapon selection.

But stuff like being able to easily hit Floaty Mc Potato Face, and in general knowing how to handle certain enemies
is also a factor, so git gud maybe there's room for improvement on that front as well, dunno.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AirMaskNinja said:

100 hours and just mr5... thats kinda slow ngl but not gonna judge

Vay Hek is not your concern at this point anyways, whether you unlocked it or not doesn't matter, before doing that kind of thing I recommend you do the main quests and get better equipment. If you want I can play with you once I am home.

I need so badly the damage mods for guns and rifles, but they spawn rarely in spy missions, so right now I cannot upgrade my damage further.
Is it slow? Maybe it's cause I spent time fishing and mining, doing the nightwave missions, trading for plat and I play quite always solo cause the other players just melt everything and I cannot see what's happening and it's not enjoyable

Just now, Matsetes said:

I need so badly the damage mods for guns and rifles, but they spawn rarely in spy missions, so right now I cannot upgrade my damage further.
Is it slow? Maybe it's cause I spent time fishing and mining, doing the nightwave missions, trading for plat and I play quite always solo cause the other players just melt everything and I cannot see what's happening and it's not enjoyable

I feel ya there, I had that kind of problem as a new player back then. Add me, I will show you some stuff to do and get you some mods you need, you seem to have outdated gear for your level. 

IGN: AirMaskNinja

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matsetes said:

1) You can manage to clear the starchart with basic mods and builds
2) If you've spent so much time trading for plat, you could also just buy the damage mods from other players. They will be quite cheap.
3) Post your builds so we can help you improve them (screenshots would make that the easiest, no need to type it all out)

44 minutes ago, -AxHx-Vile said:

1) You can manage to clear the starchart with basic mods and builds
2) If you've spent so much time trading for plat, you could also just buy the damage mods from other players. They will be quite cheap.
3) Post your builds so we can help you improve them (screenshots would make that the easiest, no need to type it all out)

I have not much plat, so I would prefer to use it only for plat stuff, like slots and if I can spare enough, I will buy the color palettes

1 hour ago, Matsetes said:

I just cannot understand why this boss is now available to me if it's too difficult, so I guess I am missing something.

My best guess was... because Warframe is not very difficult in the early missions, it's intended to demonstrate that the upgrades you can farm will be necessary to handle the higher-level missions you're progressing towards.

Plus, since many players prefer co-op, it gives a chance for new players to witness the power of the players who are returning to complete the node after acquiring upgrades, thus whetting their appetite for acquiring similar power for themselves.

Like you, I worked my way through the Star Chart solo. I was so clearly not ready for the Vey Hek fight when it first became available to me, I left it as something to come back to, and busied myself with other things...

And there are so many other things to do, that I actually forgot all about Vey Hek for quite a while. When I eventually noticed "Oh yeah, there's still that to do!"... I'd upgraded enough to solo it without much problem. 😀

2 hours ago, Matsetes said:

Hi everyone! I'm a quite new Tenno with only 100 hours and MR 5 in the game. I'm actually at the end of Ceres and when I unlocked MR5 I went doing the Vay Hek mission on Earth that was locked.

Right now, I tried it 5 times and I keep dying after a loooong loooong boss fight. I put corrosive in my rifle, but nothing changed significantly...

I am actually using Rhino and I have a mastered Excalibur so I cannot follow guides that uses late game warframes with late game mods

I already skipped a mission on Mars that I understood being too difficult for a regular player, but I just cannot understand why this boss is now available to me if it's too difficult, so I guess I am missing something.

This boss is actually quite easy if you study your surroundings. Ignore him each time he shows up through the mission (he's just harassing you) and just head to the arena at the back. There may or may not be a pipe with a crack in it you can exploit to your advantage 😁 I ran this very early on in my WF journey with Rhino as I really wanted Hydroid, I think Hydroid was my third frame.

Solo shouldn't hold you back, I've done the entire start chart mostly solo (with the odd bit of help from my only other active clan mate for interceptions as I hate pugs) and I am really not that good at the game. It is more punishing and does make you think about your gear as well as your environment for advantages though and Vey Hek is a great example of using the environment.

It sounds like you have some assistance from AirMaskNinja but don't be afraid to ask in chat for mods you are looking for as a lot of players are sitting on piles of them and don't mind helping out a new Tenno.

27 minutes ago, OmegaVoid said:

My best guess was... because Warframe is not very difficult in the early missions, it's intended to demonstrate that the upgrades you can farm will be necessary to handle the higher-level missions you're progressing towards.

Plus, since many players prefer co-op, it gives a chance for new players to witness the power of the players who are returning to complete the node after acquiring upgrades, thus whetting their appetite for acquiring similar power for themselves.

Like you, I worked my way through the Star Chart solo. I was so clearly not ready for the Vey Hek fight when it first became available to me, I left it as something to come back to, and busied myself with other things...

And there are so many other things to do, that I actually forgot all about Vey Hek for quite a while. When I eventually noticed "Oh yeah, there's still that to do!"... I'd upgraded enough to solo it without much problem. 😀

Yes, there is a lot to do! I still have to start syndicate stuff (cause Arbiters' sigil isn't available until you reach Saturn resources) and I have still low rep levels with the neutral syndicates. I need to farm for damage mods (as I already said). Luckily this mission doesn't block excavation with drones on Earth, it's worse the one on Mars that instead prevent the player to use excavators on the planet.

1 minute ago, Shalath said:

This boss is actually quite easy if you study your surroundings. Ignore him each time he shows up through the mission (he's just harassing you) and just head to the arena at the back. There may or may not be a pipe with a crack in it you can exploit to your advantage 😁 I ran this very early on in my WF journey with Rhino as I really wanted Hydroid, I think Hydroid was my third frame.

Solo shouldn't hold you back, I've done the entire start chart mostly solo (with the odd bit of help from my only other active clan mate for interceptions as I hate pugs) and I am really not that good at the game. It is more punishing and does make you think about your gear as well as your environment for advantages though and Vey Hek is a great example of using the environment.

It sounds like you have some assistance from AirMaskNinja but don't be afraid to ask in chat for mods you are looking for as a lot of players are sitting on piles of them and don't mind helping out a new Tenno.

Thank you, but I don't like to change my gameplay only thanks to the gifts of other players. I would prefer to earn my way to end game items 😉

3 hours ago, Matsetes said:

I am missing something.

Yes, modding.
Rhino with a good sniper rifle (or any rifle) modded for crit+corrosive should do the job.Important thing - your mods have to be maxed or close to maxed for any build to work properly.

If you want to cheese this boss, mag is a great choice.One of the few that the bubble works on.

I am not trying to be mean, just with proper modding there is no mission that is hard, lv120-150 enemies become a nuisance, not a challenge at some point.

1 minute ago, vegetosayajin said:

Yes, modding.
Rhino with a good sniper rifle (or any rifle) modded for crit+corrosive should do the job.Important thing - your mods have to be maxed or close to maxed for any build to work properly.

If you want to cheese this boss, mag is a great choice.One of the few that the bubble works on.

I am not trying to be mean, just with proper modding there is no mission that is hard, lv120-150 enemies become a nuisance, not a challenge at some point.

I still not have sniper rifles and I have not enough credits or endo for modding so much as you suggest. ATM I upgraded to high level (not max) the vitality and shields of the warframe and two auras to increase the slots of the warfame

2 minutes ago, Matsetes said:

I still not have sniper rifles and I have not enough credits or endo for modding so much as you suggest. ATM I upgraded to high level (not max) the vitality and shields of the warframe and two auras to increase the slots of the warfame

Vectis is mr2 as far as I remember and it's a great sniper.
That aside you can do it with mk1-braton, but the moment with the mods still stays and not only for the frame and for the weapon.
The way you do anything in the game is with proper modding.If you can't kill him now, gather credits, gather endo, look up build videos and the next time you try it will be way easier.

8 hours ago, AirMaskNinja said:

I feel ya there, I had that kind of problem as a new player back then. Add me, I will show you some stuff to do and get you some mods you need, you seem to have outdated gear for your level. 

IGN: AirMaskNinja

It says I cannot add you cause you are restricted. Add me instead: Matsetes as here

hmm. since you have a few Mastery Ranks as it is, have you considered trying some Weapons that you have access to now?
such as Strun, Boltor, Vectis, Hek, Sybaris, Lex, Vasto? some of these are even quite inexpensive to acquire.

Mods wise, you would benefit well from upgrading your Aura(s), as those are free Mod Points.
as well as rather than Unranked Steel Fiber, Flow, Enemy Sense, and a partial Rank Fast Deflection, you could instead add some Ability Effieiciency and upgrade Intensify.
as a bunch of Unranked Mods does almost nothing for you stats wise.

similarly, all of those Unranked Elemental Mods on your Gun (and the Unranked Slash Mod), these are simply not doing anything for you. instead, put on two Elementals, and upgrade those. since you can make Corrosive, that is a good choice for early on before you have the Stats to do whatever you want.
Anti-Faction Mods can also be a way to give a moderate increase to your Damage, just obviously only versus one Faction so you'll have to change them out between Missions. but they're common and cheap to upgrade. focus on the 5 Rank versions of Anti-Faction Mods.
you can safely ignore Mods that increase Impact, Puncture, or Slash Damage - these are only useful much later in the game for hyper specialization for very specific circumstances. they are not useful early on.

17 minutes ago, kapn655321 said:

Just ignore him until the part after the water slide. Seriously, it works. It baffles me that it works, but it does.

why does it baffle you? it is a choice that the Player gets to make. either weaken the Boss before getting to the final zone, or don't bother and deal the Damage later in the final zone.
the Player should elect to do whichever is easier for them.

Edited by taiiat

19 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

you could be MR5 and have "proper endgame" setups

one needs at least MR16 to use all gears and mods in game.

16 hours ago, Matsetes said:

In warframe, modding weapon is the concept of dealing proper amount of damage to specific enemies.  Without a right modding, even the strongest meta weapon would become trash.  Vice versa if you modded the best build, even a trash weapon could shine.

Consider credits and endo as progress gate in warframe. In order to advance, you will need to improve yourself.  Endo plays a very large role in improving your equipments.  Similar to some MMORPGs, where you need to upgrade your attributes by equipping higher level gears. In warframe you upgrade your mods to enhance builds so that you could deal more damage.

For Vay Hek, you want to deal as much corrosive and puncture damage per shot as possible. HekBoltorParis are good starts.

For Paris you could mod crit chance and damage because of it's high base crit values.

There is no shortcut if your mods are under par, especially weapons mods. Unless you got carried by advanced players.

Edited by SHArK-FiN

1 hour ago, Matsetes said:

My actual build

Early on, it's not a bad idea to focus on survival via Health / Shields / Armor Mods on your Frame,
but on Rhino in particular, you can actually toss out Health and Shields and just use Armor and Strength Mods
- plus the Ironclad Charge Augment if you can get your hands on that - to have Iron Skin be your survival tool.

Being able to deal more damage, both via weapons and your Frame, will lower the need to be able to tank everything,
you don't need to go full glass cannon but once you can spam abilities all over quite freely
(and mow down enemies with just a few shots), that can change how you approach missions a lot.

And not least, please don't mod for Magnetic against Grineer 😛

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Damage#Overview_Table

The damage type system is a bit complicated, but when in doubt, you can just fall back on good ol' reliable Corrosive.

22 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

but on Rhino in particular, you can actually toss out Health and Shields and just use Armor and Strength Mods

i wouldn't want to assume that they'll always have Energy to Cast Iron Skin as soon as it breaks. especially if you also expect them to use Ironclad Charge and use Charge before Casting Iron Skin :P

Iron Skin does start with a base of like 1800 Health or something, but it has 0 Health if you can't currently afford to Cast it.
(and being able to use Roar doesn't hurt either)

3 minutes ago, taiiat said:

i wouldn't want to assume that they'll always have Energy to Cast Iron Skin as soon as it breaks. especially if you also expect them to use Ironclad Charge and use Charge before Casting Iron Skin 😛

Sure, it was more meant as a preview / tip for the future, to show how modding priorities / options can change as you progress.

9 hours ago, taiiat said:

hmm. since you have a few Mastery Ranks as it is, have you considered trying some Weapons that you have access to now?
such as Strun, Boltor, Vectis, Hek, Sybaris, Lex, Vasto? some of these are even quite inexpensive to acquire.

Mods wise, you would benefit well from upgrading your Aura(s), as those are free Mod Points.
as well as rather than Unranked Steel Fiber, Flow, Enemy Sense, and a partial Rank Fast Deflection, you could instead add some Ability Effieiciency and upgrade Intensify.
as a bunch of Unranked Mods does almost nothing for you stats wise.

similarly, all of those Unranked Elemental Mods on your Gun (and the Unranked Slash Mod), these are simply not doing anything for you. instead, put on two Elementals, and upgrade those. since you can make Corrosive, that is a good choice for early on before you have the Stats to do whatever you want.
Anti-Faction Mods can also be a way to give a moderate increase to your Damage, just obviously only versus one Faction so you'll have to change them out between Missions. but they're common and cheap to upgrade. focus on the 5 Rank versions of Anti-Faction Mods.
you can safely ignore Mods that increase Impact, Puncture, or Slash Damage - these are only useful much later in the game for hyper specialization for very specific circumstances. they are not useful early on.

why does it baffle you? it is a choice that the Player gets to make. either weaken the Boss before getting to the final zone, or don't bother and deal the Damage later in the final zone.
the Player should elect to do whichever is easier for them.

Speaking of mods, I have a lot of low level mods cause I have not much credits to spend on upgrading them, I use the majority of my credits for crafting things. In addiction to that, I need to have 2 or 3 of the same mod before upgrading one or two of them, cause I will need the basic one when I switch item (e.g. I have a not upgraded vitality, a little upgraded one and the one you see here).
In this situation, you see magnetic cause I needed that for the nightwave mission, but that was not the setup I used for the boss.

Just now, PrimeUwU said:

if you unlocked Neptune go do index lowest difficulity, you should able to get around 150k credits per run

mb forgot you are still on ceres... tho you can sell your extra blueprints that you earn from missions, there is no point keeping more than 1