Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How do "acrobatic aiming penalties" work?

Flying_Scorpion

Question

in 2015 @[DE]DanielB posted about acrobatic aiming penalties. Can anyone explain how these "acrobatic aiming penalties" work? I can just tell from playing the game that enemies are less likely to hit me when I'm moving around. But are they also less likely to hit me if I simply jump and hover in the air? Does wall latching have an affect on enemy accuracy? How does it work?

Combined with the acrobatic aiming penalties, fast, agile Tenno should have plenty of options to avoid danger and dispatch their foes!

Edited by Flying_Scorpion

5 answers to this question

the tl;dr is the more Parkour you're performing and generally thusly the more complicated your movement, the less Accurate Enemies are.this is concatenated with that each Enemy has an Accuracy parabola - it has an ideal Range and loses Accuracy closer or farther away than that.

hanging onto a wall and not moving likely has some effect, but only that it's a bit better than standing still on the ground, not that it's actually good compared to complex movement.

every particular action that's more than just running has an impact. now put them together.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, taiiat said:

the tl;dr is the more Parkour you're performing and generally thusly the more complicated your movement, the less Accurate Enemies are.this is concatenated with that each Enemy has an Accuracy parabola - it has an ideal Range and loses Accuracy closer or farther away than that.

hanging onto a wall and not moving likely has some effect, but only that it's a bit better than standing still on the ground, not that it's actually good compared to complex movement.

every particular action that's more than just running has an impact. now put them together.

Thank you. Is there an official source on this information? I'm thinking about testing it out in the simulacrum but I know it will take a long time to do that.

I'm thinking of just taking a heavy gunner, having someone else turn on/off AI and record it while they unload on me as I switch positions. I'll need to use some mods to increase my aim glide time significantly to get a good sample size of pellets fired upon me while I am airborn. Then I'll play it back in slow motion and count how many shots hit compared to how many missed. This would take...a very long time. But it might be the only way for me to get some real hard numbers and information on how this system works. I wish the Wiki had more information available on this subject. 

Never mind it really didn't take that long to test out. The results are incredibly powerful. If you aim glide, enemy accuracy drops way more significantly than I thought. Even if you simply tap the space bar and then begin aim gliding, with no momentum or lateral movement. If you have Aero Vantage equipped, which makes it so that you experience zero gravity during aim glide, you essentially don't move at all - you just sit still in the air. Even then, the enemy accuracy drops off a cliff if you aim glide.

Wall latch: same deal. Even if you're sitting perfectly still, if you are latched onto a wall..enemy accuracy drops significantly.

No wonder nobody really uses wall latch. This information is not present anywhere that I have come across in my "research". It's not until testing it in the simulacrum that I have noticed how powerful this effect is. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Flying_Scorpion said:

It's not until testing it in the simulacrum that I have noticed how powerful this effect is. 

And THIS is one of the reasons I'm always saying for players to test things themselves.  You find out little nuances that aren't mentioned.  Especially the WF Builder.  

After further testing I've found the effect to be spotty. Sometimes the enemies accuracy drops off a cliff, sometimes they are still hitting you like as if you were standing still on the ground. It's really like a white or black scenario. Most of the time it works, but when it doesn't work, it's lethal for the player. I might test it out further, but so far from my testing, these moments where it doesn't work make it unreliable to use as a method of survivability.

Edited by Flying_Scorpion