Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So, I just got dragged by a DEAD Ancient and...

CHA0SXIII

Question

...lost 20 minutes of progress in a Survival mission when four others got me in a grabbing loop Volatile Runners ganged up on me and kamikazed me to death and there was nothing I could do about it. Ok, so the back story is, I was solo grinding levels for a couple Warframe on Gabii's Infested Survival mission and I started noticing I was unable to block the Ancient's grapple attack. In the past, about at least 50% of the time, as long as I wasn't spamming attacks, I had my melee weapon out, and I had my crosshair aimed right at the attack, I'd usually be able to block it. Not any more. Now, 100% of the time, and Ancient aims a grabbing attack, it's gonna hit. End of discussion.

That was bad, but I figured, "meh, I'll just grin and bare it. No biggy."...Then one grabbed and pulled me through a wall...then a container...then other Infested...and finally, I killed one, and as it's corpse floated away, a tentacle shoots out from its hand(?), grabs and drags me to underneath where it is - and no, there were NO other Ancients or any other Infested around it that could have done it - and as I get back up, four more Ancients back from around where I was just dragged away from grab me, and every time one grabs and pulls me, another grabs and pulls me before I can get back up, and another, all the while Volatiles are rushing me and blowing up. I never even got the chance to try to counter. Now, I am a new player (this is also my first post here) and I'm still getting used to things so, I have no idea if this is a bug, if it's intentional, or what. Any advice or confirmation if others have run into the same problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

12 answers to this question

Knockdown "loops" are annoying for sure. I've had a dead ancient drag me once, bit of a timing issue I guess. My main advice however, has nothing to do with these ancients etc...

2 minutes ago, CHA0SXIII said:

...lost 20 minutes of progress in a Survival mission

You start with 4 revives (6 if you use arcanes, but since you're new, I'm guessing you don't). If you only have 1 or 2 revives left, as a new player, might want to just get out to prevent loss of stuff.

Also, if you need a clan, let me know. We can teach you many things and help out where/when it's needed.

I've now noticed that not only am I not blocking Ancient's grappling attack, I've stopped blocking ANYTHING. Bullets, explosions, beams - none of it! I didn't have this issue a few days ago and I've not started doing anything different, yet I no longer have the ability to block with my melee. We just got a hotfix so, maybe it's fixed now so I'll check and get back to all of you.

1 hour ago, CHA0SXIII said:

Now, I am a new player (this is also my first post here) and I'm still getting used to things so, I have no idea if this is a bug, if it's intentional, or what. Any advice or confirmation if others have run into the same problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last weekend I found myself caught in a loop when two ancients started playing table-tennis with me, dragging me from one end of the room to the other. Luckily, the volatiles and leapers keep running after me and never actually managed to make contact before I flew back across the room again and I eventually managed to melee myself out of it...

So yeah, bugs happen sometimes...

Edited by (XB1)TwinStripeUK
Gollum grammar!

1 hour ago, CHA0SXIII said:

grabbing loop

You should have seen when the Ancients got their current model and had the hook implemented, a single Ancient could down a player if they werent careful as the Ancient would cast its Hook every 5 seconds and it was possible for you to be hooked again and it would refresh the knockdown even if you were already on the floor. 2 Ancients it became almost impossible to escape, 3 Ancients you would have to cry out for help from your team because it was certain death.

You are new, you will get used to it and almost never fall for it from the experience.
On just 20 min on gabi they shouldn't be able to kill you if you modded correctly even if you were grab-looped a couple of times.
What I suggest you do is dodge-roll when you see an ancient trying to grab you or just in general play.
Try to level your vitality to the max or as far as you can get it.
Bring a good melee modded correctly.
For now there is that, but there are a lot of ways to not ever get in that kind of situation again, but it all requires play and proper modding.

I got a max-level knockdown recovery mod for my warframes so now when ever I get tethered by any enemy, I'm back-to-ground for a wapping 0.44 seconds - if even that so, it's a moot point as living or dead, I'm borderline immune to being dragged! : D Thank you to everyone who gave me advice or even just a moment of your time, I really do appreciate it. I consider this issue (for all intents and purposes) resolved.

Spoiler

Also, to heck with you Ancients! Stupid excuses for dimestore, ripoffs of Red Guy from "Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared"!

Clean ups on the hook abilities, and "heavy grineer punch floor," is so grossly overdue.

If they're dead, staggered, or knocked down, they should relent instantly.
Wouldn't mind some type of non-invasive QTE reflexive option to deflect it. Real tight counter window of a few frames.
This way, players don't have to get mad as much as get good.
(We could be rolling or blocking, but that awareness being a certainty or even an option is not often realistic when fighting hordes.)

On 2020-01-23 at 10:38 AM, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

As long as they aren't right next to you, if you hear/see their grapple attack, roll into it. That will prevent the attack from dragging you or knocking you down.

This also works for Arson Eximus fire auras and probably most forms of crowd control. If you time a roll correctly, the animation will override the knockdown/knockback effect.

On 2020-01-23 at 10:50 AM, CHA0SXIII said:

I've now noticed that not only am I not blocking Ancient's grappling attack, I've stopped blocking ANYTHING. Bullets, explosions, beams - none of it! I didn't have this issue a few days ago and I've not started doing anything different, yet I no longer have the ability to block with my melee. We just got a hotfix so, maybe it's fixed now so I'll check and get back to all of you.

If you tap your melee key to do a quick attack and bring out your melee weapon that way, then simply face an enemy while not attacking or aiming (right click) and you will auto-block incoming damage from that direction. Check the "block angle" stat on your melee weapon in the arsenal to see how large area is (ex: 65 blocking angle = a 65 degree cone in front of you).

If you hold your swap weapon key to bring out your melee weapon, then you have to hold right click and manually block (or right click once, if you use toggle aim instead).

Edited by Ailith