Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tothre - The Researcher frame

WarspitePOWAAAAH

Tothre is a research-themed warframe with a utility-based kit, as he studies his foes, he exposes their weaknesses and exploits them. Tothre's kit also assists him and his team in conducting researches, but not without offensive capabilities for efficient disposal of subjects that has already been thoroughly studied. The player first encounters Tothre in the quest Athens Express, where the Tenno is tasked with investigating abnormalities occurring in the Sanctuary and Fortuna, in which Tothre will slowly reveal its murderous intent and insatiable hunger as the Tenno strides deeper into the weaver's trap.

BASIC INFO
Name : Tothre
Role : Offense/Support
Base HP : 75 (225 at rank 30)
Base Shields : 200 (600 at rank 30)
Base Energy : 200 (300 at rank 30)
Armor :15
Sprint Speed : 1.15
Codex :

An eye of curiosity, a researcher of destruction, only through chaos and ruin, may Tothre find the truth that he truly desires.

ABILITIES
Passive : Expert

Spoiler

Tothre possesses a gauge which increases affinity gained the more it is filled. Tothre is also more effective at exploiting enemy resistances and vulnerabilities the more the gauge is filled. Capping out at +50% affinity and 2.0x multiplier on damage types that the enemies are vulnerable to. (e.g. A heavy gunner that takes 75% more corrosive and viral damage, and 50% more puncture damage by default will take 150% more corrosive and viral damage and 100% more puncture damage from Tothre with a full gauge)

1st ability : Analysis (25 energy)

Spoiler

Tothre scans all enemies in sight within a rectangular frame on screen, scanning them into the codex, staggering them briefly and exposes their weaknesses. Damage types the enemies are vulnerable to will be displayed to everyone under their health bar, as well as amplifying the corresponding types of damage dealt to them.

The weakness exploit effect scales according to Tothre's Expert gauge from 1.5x scaling up to 2.5x, stacks with Expert's innate weakness exploit to reach a maximum of 5.0x more effectiveness for Tothre. Each enemy scanned will fill up a small portion of the Expert gauge, however the damage amplifying effect is applied beforehand. Hold down the ability button will expand the scanning area horizontally.

2nd ability : Monitor Behavior (15 energy/enemy)

Spoiler

Tothre starts studying and monitoring all enemies nearby, locking the energy state of Tothre and prevents him from losing or gaining any energy aside from ability costs. Press to gradually expand the area of effect, press again to start monitoring all enemies within range. Enemies under surveillance starts panicking, causing their attack speed to increase, accuracy on the Tenno to decrease, increases their chances of bumping into another enemy and having them attacking everyone on sight. Monitored enemies will fill up Tothre's Expert gauge continuously until it hits the cap at which they will be considered "fully researched", each of the test subject's death will refund a percentage of enemies used to monitor them based on their research progress.

Scanning fully researched enemies with Analysis will detonate them in the damage they are the weakest to, removing test subjects of no value conveniently as well as damaging nearby enemies, which consumes the Expert meter instead of generating it. Analysis also costs much less energy when performed on test subjects, and provides a boost in the target's research progress if they are not fully researched.

3nd ability : Assistant Drones (50 energy)

Spoiler

In order to help with Tothre's experiments, Tothre has 3 types of drones he may deploy to aid him and his teammates in their research :

Clean up drone

Spoiler

Deploys a field of explosive seeking drones that latches onto nearby enemies before it explodes. These drones will follow Tothre and his teammates around to seek for enemies, breaking containers and bringing loot and ammo back to the Tenno they are following if no enemies are nearby. These drones prioritize fully researched enemies and will attempt to distribute themselves evenly among all targeted enemies. They explode in the damage the target is the weakest to if the target is scanned.

Observer drone

Spoiler

Deploys a single drone to follow Tothre or its targeted Tenno around, where it will perform Analysis on nearby enemies, prioritizing fully researched enemies when they are in sight. The observer will boost Tothre's Monitor Behavior range greatly and remove the energy lock on Monitor Behavior. All observers performs a radial Analysis after Tothre has performed Analysis

Guardian drone

Spoiler

Deploys a single drone to follow Tothre or its targeted Tenno around, where it will monitor its master's health conditions. Taking damage will cause the guardian optimize the master's shields to reduce the damage on subsequent hits, it will also consume a portion of the master's shields to negate status effects. Adapting to damaging consumes the Expert meter.

Each Tenno maybe only have one drone on them at a time, Tothre may replace any Tenno's drone, which will cause their original drone follower to return to Tothre and refund the energy used to summon the new drone. The drones have their own health and shields and can be destroyed by enemy fire. These drones will roam around the orbiter while not in mission, playing with the Tenno and their companions.

4th ability : PDW (15 energy, 4 energy/s)

Spoiler

Tothre materializes an instrument of multifaceted destruction, unleashing six-barreled death upon his enemies.

The PDW is an exaulted assault rifle with six spinning barrels firing in similar fashion to a gatling gun. The weapon's systems augments Tothre's abilities to have more offense power. While PDW is active, Tothre is locked in position when he casts Analysis as he locks onto enemies in sight, bombarding them with seeking missiles adapted to deal maximum damage. PDW also turns all clean up drones into armor-destroying latchers that does not explode, continuously chipping away enemy armor. Alt fire charges a heavy napalm blast that burns enemies over time over a large radius. Missiles fired will consume the Expert meter if they manage to hit enemies previously scanned and has their weaknesses exposed.

POTENTIAL AUGMENTS

Infrared Scanner : Analysis augment - Able to see and scan enemies through walls and nullifier bubbles, loses the ability to charge for a wider scan
Test Chamber : Monitor Behavior augment - Enemies that enters the AoE of Monitor Behavior is unable to leave the area, damage sources from outside the test chamber is also isolated. Enemies inside the AoE no longer actively generate charges for Expert meter, but yields extra charges when scanned with Analysis or upon death. Energy lock and refund mechanic is also removed.
Best Friends : Assistant Drones augment - Summons a canine robot instead, able to create energy barriers, pounce on enemies, equipped with a machine gun and a missile launcher. Tothre can cycle between three commands for the robot using the ability button. The bot also performs copies Tothre's certain actions, such as scanning or firing missiles.
Operation Clean Up : PDW augment - Alt fire now drains a significant portion of Tothre's energy and Expert meter, sending a signal to the sky, followed by a Teralyst-styled bombing.

TL;DR a gauge that gives more affinity and damage for damage types enemies are weak to. 2nd makes enemies panic and fill the gauge but prevents gaining energy aside from killing affected enemies, 3rd is a combination of explosives,drones that perform your 1st and boost 2nd range, and drones that gives adaptation and status protection. 1st makes enemies weaker to the damage types they are already weak to, and detonates enemies in those damage types when used on enemies affected by 2nd. 4th is an exaulted machine gun, alt fire is a napalm blast that burns enemies, also turns explosive drones into armor stripping drones. Can play with drones in the orbiter.

Edited by WarspitePOWAAAAH
  • Like 2

I don't know how you did it and I can't believe I'm about to write this but I actually want to use a research themed frame. I do have some questions but I 100% want this in game in my hands as soon as possible.

Some questions and concerns I have are as follows...

Regarding the Expert Gauge

Spoiler

Does this drain over time? As far as I can tell;

1 - increases gauge

2 - increases gauge

3 - n/a

4 - n/a

so how does the gauge decrease and if you're going for a deteriorate thing that doesn't really make sense. Ember has that mechanic because heat can be lost so she has to keep her abilities going to keep her gauge topped off you can't really lose research in that same way (it's not a natural occurrence).

Regarding his Energy

Spoiler
On 2020-01-23 at 8:45 AM, WarspitePOWAAAAH said:

Base Energy : 230 (345 at rank 30)

He'd be sitting at ~980 energy with pFlow, is that really necessary? I really don't understand why anyone would challenge the current highest 200 (300 at max), it grants more than enough energy.

Take a look at the ability costs;

1 - 25 (normal)

2 - 15/per (exception read below)

3 - 50 (exception read below)

4 - 15 + 4 drain (normal)

To go indepth on all the abilities..

1 - I imagine you mean this to be a spam-esque ability but it's still only 25 energy so that doesn't mean much in terms of energy consumption.

2 - It's hard to know how much energy this would require without knowing how much the Observer drone would increase the range or how much the range is at base. A larger radius could translate to some energy problems which in that case yes I can understand why you would increase the pool beyond what would be considered a normal amount. A small change I'd suggest to prevent this energy problem is to change how Monitor Behaviour works but not by much. Make the range be determined by duration in a similar way as Hildryn's Pillage and have the same cancel mechanic. This provides him with more control over how many people are being 'monitored' which helps him control how much energy is being usage (to an extent). While removing one of the synergetic aspects of the Observer drone sucks and could be replaced with something else, the energy cap is a good interaction in itself and should be enough. Btw I'm assuming this is a cast ability because if it were 15 energy/enemy/second and worked like Equinox's Pacify & Provoke it would literally be impossible to keep up.

3 - I honestly have no idea how this is supposed to work and I don't mean the drones themselves which are great. You don't mention anywhere what 'limits' them, is it duration? Health? Or are they just invulnerable and last forever? Yes clean up drones explode but how about the other two? You then go on to write that they refund energy? This just further begs the question; Why so much base energy?

4 - Like the first ability it's a pretty standard energy cost. An exalted weapon comparable to Exalted Blade with a .4 higher energy drain at 175 efficiency but nearly half the cast cost, ~3 energy difference which means for ~8 seconds the cost is less than EB. 

Ember applies to both of these problems. To repeat what was written earlier, she has to spam abilities to keep her gauge up and she only has 225 energy at max and contrast that with Tothre's 230 energy at base and relatively low energy cost abilities and one that refunds its own cost.

Regarding the PDW

Spoiler

Correct me if I'm wrong but is this supposed to be an excavation tool of sorts? I have nothing against that and I kind of hope it is. 

This is definitely one of those concepts I actually want to experience in game, great work 🙂 

- Good Luck, Have Fun -

• 1 month later...

Sorry for not responding, I haven't checked in a long while.

On 2020-01-31 at 9:00 PM, Cobalt313 said:

Interesting concept, lots of unconventional buffs and abilities that would probably work wonders with helping lower-Mastery teammates.

Quick question, though: is the first ability insta-cast like a camera flash, or does it take time to scan?

Charging up to expand the scan area takes time, but the scanning is instant.

On 2020-02-01 at 2:00 AM, Be_Stupid said:

I don't know how you did it and I can't believe I'm about to write this but I actually want to use a research themed frame. I do have some questions but I 100% want this in game in my hands as soon as possible.

Some questions and concerns I have are as follows...

Regarding the Expert Gauge

Reveal hidden contents

Does this drain over time? As far as I can tell;

1 - increases gauge

2 - increases gauge

3 - n/a

4 - n/a

so how does the gauge decrease and if you're going for a deteriorate thing that doesn't really make sense. Ember has that mechanic because heat can be lost so she has to keep her abilities going to keep her gauge topped off you can't really lose research in that same way (it's not a natural occurrence).

Regarding his Energy

Reveal hidden contents

He'd be sitting at ~980 energy with pFlow, is that really necessary? I really don't understand why anyone would challenge the current highest 200 (300 at max), it grants more than enough energy.

Take a look at the ability costs;

1 - 25 (normal)

2 - 15/per (exception read below)

3 - 50 (exception read below)

4 - 15 + 4 drain (normal)

To go indepth on all the abilities..

1 - I imagine you mean this to be a spam-esque ability but it's still only 25 energy so that doesn't mean much in terms of energy consumption.

2 - It's hard to know how much energy this would require without knowing how much the Observer drone would increase the range or how much the range is at base. A larger radius could translate to some energy problems which in that case yes I can understand why you would increase the pool beyond what would be considered a normal amount. A small change I'd suggest to prevent this energy problem is to change how Monitor Behaviour works but not by much. Make the range be determined by duration in a similar way as Hildryn's Pillage and have the same cancel mechanic. This provides him with more control over how many people are being 'monitored' which helps him control how much energy is being usage (to an extent). While removing one of the synergetic aspects of the Observer drone sucks and could be replaced with something else, the energy cap is a good interaction in itself and should be enough. Btw I'm assuming this is a cast ability because if it were 15 energy/enemy/second and worked like Equinox's Pacify & Provoke it would literally be impossible to keep up.

3 - I honestly have no idea how this is supposed to work and I don't mean the drones themselves which are great. You don't mention anywhere what 'limits' them, is it duration? Health? Or are they just invulnerable and last forever? Yes clean up drones explode but how about the other two? You then go on to write that they refund energy? This just further begs the question; Why so much base energy?

4 - Like the first ability it's a pretty standard energy cost. An exalted weapon comparable to Exalted Blade with a .4 higher energy drain at 175 efficiency but nearly half the cast cost, ~3 energy difference which means for ~8 seconds the cost is less than EB. 

Ember applies to both of these problems. To repeat what was written earlier, she has to spam abilities to keep her gauge up and she only has 225 energy at max and contrast that with Tothre's 230 energy at base and relatively low energy cost abilities and one that refunds its own cost.

Regarding the PDW

Reveal hidden contents

Correct me if I'm wrong but is this supposed to be an excavation tool of sorts? I have nothing against that and I kind of hope it is. 

This is definitely one of those concepts I actually want to experience in game, great work 🙂 

- Good Luck, Have Fun -

I'm pretty sure I was seriously high when i thought that 230 base energy would be fine, and completely forgetting to implement ways for him to expend his meter. Thanks for pointing out.
I have readjusted the base energy value to 200, since his 2nd still eats away a ton of energy if you manage to catch a lot of enemies. i do think that having a way for him to control how many enemies he want to monitor is a nice suggestion otherwise range builds would probably be stuck with 0 energy after casting Monitor Behavior, in similar fashion to Gara's Mass Vitrify.
I did mention that the drones have their own shields and health, and that they can be destroyed.
The new Expert meter expenditure is basically "When an ability uses the weakness exploit to deal extra damage", with an exception to the clean up drones, and the guardian drones which uses the meter to provide you with Adaptation basically.

Thanks for the feedback and advices! I am glad that I made something you are interested in.