Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How I defend from grabs?

OrSpeeder

Question

When doing some EOS runs with my first upgraded warframe...

I noticed only ONE thing was dnagerous: getting grabbed...

For some reason it is seemly unblock-able ,cause animation bugs (usually what it happens is my character suddenly spreads his arms wide, and sometimes gets launched crazy distances, for example in Eidolon one such grab from a grineer soldier made me fly away some 700 meters), seemly breaks combo chains, and if there are 2 of the enemies that can do that near each other they stun-lock me.

There is a way to defend against it? Seemly it is not telegraphed, for example one time  I was looking at a grineer woman, and suddenly my character opened his arms, AFTER that, the cable she launched at me became visible.

22 answers to this question

Sadly, there's no way to actively evade this, you can go jump around and do crazy acrobat moves but you will still get grabbed. I think the only way to prevent this is equipping "Surefooted" mod, coz I don't notice any grabs when I have it equipped. However, I do think we should be given a way to dodge it and escape the pull, the non-stop grabbing feels so unfair sometimes. Like give us a short window after the initial hit, a 0.5s window before the pull to let us roll out of the grab and then a "grab cooldown" so we don't get stun locked because there are 3 scorpions who won't stop grabbing us. When facing an enemy, bullet jumping or roll should evade the grab if timed properly, srsly bullet jump and roll should give us a short i-frame. 

I found that during casting an ability, the casting animation will prevent you from getting grabbed.  Eg. while casting Nova's molecular prime and the scorpion grineer or infested ancient hooks you, you're not affected.

This requires timing and more often I get it more from luck than being able to predict it.

If you aren't going to let melee out all the time, I personally prefer +X% knockdown recovery mods like Handspring. Sure footed has unreliable chance to prevent all knockdowns in a group of continuously spawning enemies.  Having 40% of being knocked down is still dangerous.

On the other hand Handspring is buffing you all the time, plus it's an exilus mod.  I was surprised by how fast I get back up on my feet after being grabbed, very satisfying.  I tried Constitution and Handspring on nekro in infested survival farms, I get back up the moment i was grabbed by the ancient just like having an immunity of knockdown.

You could gain 90% resistance to knockdown by equipping Sure Footed and Power Drift though, still very useful 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LoneWolveYoutube said:

Sure Footed and Prime Sure Footed apparently defend against grabs, but I've never tested it myself.

Sure Footed is useless, don't get tricked by the game into it making it seem like it's a useful trait - just use Handspring instead if you were going to use a Slot for something like this, it's massively better.

15 hours ago, Yxivi said:

Sadly, there's no way to actively evade this

...just dodge. The telegraph is short, so it requires to A) notice the enemy that is about to start the action B) be quick enough reacting, but it's doable even in ESO.

@OrSpeeder some frames have innate mechanics that may help preventing that to happen (Nezha, Atlas, Revenant and Titania come to mind), but even just equipping maxed Handspring is game-changing

9 hours ago, taiiat said:

Sure Footed is useless, don't get tricked by the game into it making it seem like it's a useful trait - just use Handspring instead if you were going to use a Slot for something like this, it's massively better.

Sure Footed is useless.  Primed Sure Footed gives 100% immunity to grabs.and knockdowns.

Anyway, grab and knockdown are status procs,  so everything that gives status immunity also gives grab immunity. 

Rhino's Iron Skin, Nezha's  Warding Halo, Oberon's  Hallowed Ground, Titania's  Spellbind,Trinity's Link, Valkyr's  Hysteria,  and Inaros's Negation Swarm Augment all do it. 

4 hours ago, hyzmarca said:

Sure Footed is useless.  Primed Sure Footed gives 100% immunity to grabs.and knockdowns.

actually, Primed Sure Footed isn't 100%.

and either way you play an Anim that's almost as long as what you're resisting so even if it was actually 100% and wasn't lying to you, it would still be useless because Handspring recovery is several times faster recovery than Primed Sure Footed is.

10 hours ago, ILOHARTA said:

...just dodge. The telegraph is short, so it requires to A) notice the enemy that is about to start the action B) be quick enough reacting, but it's doable even in ESO.

depending on the type of incoming CC, that's only possible if you were looking directly at that Enemy when it started the CC attaxk so that you could move away from it. as there are numerous Enemis which have CC attacks that use them in the first frame that the Player comes into view, or in other words within the first 4 Milliseconds or less that the Player comes into view of that Enemys' cone of vision.

Edited by taiiat

55 minutes ago, SHArK-FiN said:

wait, what? the mod description is lying?

I believe you as you are a real vet. But how is the actual practice of the mod?

I can't test it because I don't have enough days for that yet.

Usually I would be happy to test things for fellow Tenno.  Only I really don't want to waste the endo on a mod I don't ever use.  😀 

2 hours ago, SHArK-FiN said:

wait, what? the mod description is lying?
I believe you as you are a real vet. But how is the actual practice of the mod?

I can't test it because I don't have enough days for that yet.

the actual Chance is too tedious to test, but there's been enough testing for people to still get Knocked down atleast once in testing (carry PSF and stand in front of a few Enemies in Simulation until you die of old age).
it's probably 99.something Percent.

which ofcourse, is truly offensive, that forced blocking Anim that makes Knockdown Resist barely useful if even useful at all as it is, and then the fancy version has the audacity to not even actually be 100%. bleh.