Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rebalancing: Warframe: Frost (10.2.1)

NanoDecerto

Frost was the first Warframe I ever built. I got him simply because he looked really cool, and I loved playing with him as well. As the game progresses and I face harder enemies with more health and armor, I find him a lackluster tank. While most defense missions are nearly impossible after wave 15 without a Frost, he desperately needs a rework in my opinion.

Ability 1: Freeze

Problem: Honestly, this ability is a joke. Freeze a single enemy for short time with damage. Alright. Not good, but alright. But then, the damage is essentially negligible. Alright. But then the freeze is broken when the enemy is shot, so it will still retaliate. Oh. All the ability does is remove an enemy temporarily that you will have to deal with later. The ability only makes sense to use on enemies you can't one shot kill, but why bother if they are going to hit you later anyway? It is a pure waste of 25 energy and you may as well replace it with another mod.

Suggestion: One way of making this skill viable is to make it a crowd control. Frost is all about utility over damage. Make this ability a cone in front of Frost and don't bother with any damage on this ability. It would be nice if the enemies did not thaw as soon as shot, but instead, damage could be dealt to them as normal, but the effect of the freeze would be significantly shorter for all enemies than it is now. That way, you have damage avoidance and an opportunity to kill a heavy unit without taking big damage or getting knocked down. Could be easily used before a revive as well.

Ability 2: Ice Wave

Problem: This ability isn't that bad. It is a nice damage ability, because even tanks need to get some heavy damage out now and then. However, balancing requires we look at other abilities to compare it to. Slash dash is a great ability with 500 damage at max rank. Ice wave does 700. Seems good for an extra 25 energy, but there are different damage types. Slash dash does serrated blade damage, so triple to infested and ignores armor. Ice wave on the other hand has no damage multipliers and is affected by armor. Until Armor 2.0, this ability is essentially useless on high level defenses, which is where Frost spends most of his time. Seems odd to have an ability that loses effectiveness on high levels on a frame that gains effectiveness on high levels. Also, the travel time makes the ability awkward to use.

Suggestion: Make the attack move forward faster. Perhaps lower the damage a tad and change the damage type to Physics Impact for more reliable damage. Width is fair as is.

Ability 3: Snow Globe

Problem: This ability is amazing. The only "problem" is that I am sure people could come up with an arguement it needs to be nerfed, but it seems defenses would become too hard at some points without it.

Suggestion: Keep this as it is.

Ability 4: Avalanche

Problem: This ultimate is extremely lacking. Low range at only 15m. Does not pierce armor. Initial stagger can actually push enemies out of range of the attack. Long casting time where online guys often pick off the frozen enemies anyway. Incredibly uninventive "high damage" AoE. Useless on high level Grineer and Infested.

Suggestion: Needs to be buffed in almost every way. Bigger range, different damage type, new mechanic. Anything.

Conclusion: Frost has been sort of neglected for a long time while all the new frames and freshly revamped frames surpass his damage dealing and utility abilities. If he is going to be a staple, he may as well be a good one. Revamp freeze, slight buff to ice wave, leave snow globe and do anything to fix his ultimate. Currently, it is only worth equipping Snow Globe and Ice Wave.

Edited by NanoDecerto

Frost was the first Warframe I ever built. I got him simply because he looked really cool, and I loved playing with him as well. As the game progresses and I face harder enemies with more health and armor, I find him a lackluster tank. While most defense missions are nearly impossible after wave 15 without a Frost, he desperately needs a rework in my opinion.

Ability 1: Freeze

Problem: Honestly, this ability is a joke. Freeze a single enemy for short time with damage. Alright. Not good, but alright. But then, the damage is essentially negligible. Alright. But then the freeze is broken when the enemy is shot, so it will still retaliate. Oh. All the ability does is remove an enemy temporarily that you will have to deal with later. The ability only makes sense to use on enemies you can't one shot kill, but why bother if they are going to hit you later anyway? It is a pure waste of 25 energy and you may as well replace it with another mod.

Suggestion: One way of making this skill viable is to make it a crowd control. Frost is all about utility over damage. Make this ability a cone in front of Frost and don't bother with any damage on this ability. It would be nice if the enemies did not thaw as soon as shot, but instead, damage could be dealt to them as normal, but the effect of the freeze would be significantly shorter for all enemies than it is now. That way, you have damage avoidance and an opportunity to kill a heavy unit without taking big damage or getting knocked down. Could be easily used before a revive as well.

Ability 2: Ice Wave

Problem: This ability isn't that bad. It is a nice damage ability, because even tanks need to get some heavy damage out now and then. However, balancing requires we look at other abilities to compare it to. Slash dash is a great ability with 500 damage at max rank. Ice wave does 700. Seems good for an extra 25 energy, but there are different damage types. Slash dash does serrated blade damage, so triple to infested and ignores armor. Ice wave on the other hand has no damage multipliers and is affected by armor. Until Armor 2.0, this ability is essentially useless on high level defenses, which is where Frost spends most of his time. Seems odd to have an ability that loses effectiveness on high levels on a frame that gains effectiveness on high levels. Also, the travel time makes the ability awkward to use.

Suggestion: Make the attack move forward faster. Perhaps lower the damage a tad and change the damage type to Physics Impact for more reliable damage. Width is fair as is.

Ability 3: Snow Globe

Problem: This ability is amazing. The only "problem" is that I am sure people could come up with an arguement it needs to be nerfed, but it seems defenses would become too hard at some points without it.

Suggestion: Keep this as it is.

Ability 4: Avalanche

Problem: This ultimate is extremely lacking. Low range at only 15m. Does not pierce armor. Initial stagger can actually push enemies out of range of the attack. Long casting time where online guys often pick off the frozen enemies anyway. Incredibly uninventive "high damage" AoE. Useless on high level Grineer and Infested.

Suggestion: Needs to be buffed in almost every way. Bigger range, different damage type, new mechanic. Anything.

Conclusion: Frost has been sort of neglected for a long time while all the new frames and freshly revamped frames surpass his damage dealing and utility abilities. If he is going to be a staple, he may as well be a good one. Revamp freeze, slight buff to ice wave, leave snow globe and do anything to fix his ultimate. Currently, it is only worth equipping Snow Globe and Ice Wave.

So frost is needed for wave 15+ def and you want to buff it? Interesting.

Yes, due to being horrifically ineffective at everything else and his abilities losing usefulness where he is most useful. Sounds contradictory, I know, but a frame should not get weaker as it gets into a point where it is needed.

The idea is that it's kind of a bummer that Frost is only important for his Snow Globe. While that alone earns him a spot in defense missions, it's also basically just getting a guy to pod sit while everyone else can see more utility past that in other missions. I mean, when you're not defending something, what is Frost good for?

There are a few frames that also have the issue of, at high level, only one skill is viable while the rest remain pointless to have (looking at you banshee!) But Frost really could use some loving as Skill 1 is never useful due to the fast pacing of the game, if you're properly geared, any enemy outside of a boss has an expected battle life of 4-5 seconds at most. If you're better than properly geared, the enemy should only be standing in half that time.

Second ability loses purpose in high level as well. Ulti suffers the same issues as the second one.

I love Frost, but the game doesn't lol.

Orb also has its own problems - itsn ot perfect anyways (not that good vs infested, u need to stay inside (in range of the mobs) to kil lthsoe who got inside - and it does obstruct visibility.

Ice wave.. .well... only useful against low level or  light infested(for a while, no armor).
Vs 80+ i could spam my whole energy, liek 10+ times and not kill a single corpus.

The Freeze... eww... At least let it stay longer then 1 hit (and aplify damage for example - frozen  stuff is more fragile). It needs no damage ( 125 , even boosted is NOTHING).
For example 3s, Targets take full damage (breaks/removes armor while effective). Duration mods apply.

Ice Wave - Same damage etc BUT Targets who didnt  die get 30% armor debuff.

Ult -  Long distance buff/debuff - 20m range, Targets take increased cold damage (+25%), Armor - 25%, Friendly units gain cold damage for  20s (+20%?) And then the mods for duration,distance and debuff strenght?

When frost damage isn't as affected by armor as it is now Frost's abilities would be a bit better.

Make his 1 not break on hp damage and freeze for about as long as Trinity's 1 lasts. Less on bosses.

Make his 2 and 4 slow tagets hit for a fair duration.

Frost is now fully viable.

Edited by A1CZERO

Here are my proposals for Frost:

Freeze: Besides freezing and damaging the target, the target will be marked with Hypothermia debuff that will increase all frost damage done to that target. This includes all Frost offensive abilities plus mods and weapons that do freeze damage type, only works for Frost and other Frost players when in Squads. SInce Freeze deals frost damage, it will also stack with itself up to 3 stacks of 5/10/15 % freeze damage increase.

Or

After the freeze effect, the enemy is temporarily debuff with Frostbite for X seconds,  the enemy and all other enemies around him of 6 meters are affected with a tapering slow of 60% and they take double damage from all kinds of frost damage.

Ice Wave: Mhm this one is actually mediocre but can be tweak further for better damage at higher end gameplay which Frost specializes in. Besides dealing ice damage and slowing enemies in a linear path, Ice Wave will also leave an icy trail similar to those found in the Void (Those ice traps) for X seconds. Also Ice Wave damage type should be Physics Impact so it ignores armor giving it an edge at later levels while dealing more damage at the end range of the skill while impaling them at place. I think that's it for Ice Wave.

Snow Globe: This skill is fine as it is. Just a minor tweak is when you initially cast this spell, all slow effects will be removed from the caster. For example those ice traps in the Void when you cast this spell inside them, it will remove all those chilling effects and rendering you immune until the Globe expires truly making you a master of sub-zero temperatures.

Avalanche: This ultimate is mediocre. Mhm first they should removed the knockback effect when initially cast. After freezing, blinding and damage the enemies for X seconds is meh. Instead you summon a flurry of ice wave that surrounds you liek a boss dealing ice damage, freezing and impaling all around you for X seconds, you can move once the spell is casted. Avalanche also grants you invulnerability when initially cast and Frost is unaffected by any freeze damage while the spell duration remains.

Edited by Volkstein

Not only do Frost's abilities need change, his stats do as well. He needs his old sprint speed back (1.05) at the cost of -25 armor. You can't have a mobile support tank if he's the speed of a snail. He also shouldn't be compared to Rhino as much. Doing this will change Frost's stats to suit his actual role, while still allowing him to tank through some levels. It also gives him more utility almost instantly. With a Frost in your party, Snow Globe would actually be viable for revival because Frost can actually reach a downed teammate in time. Feel free to make any corrections.

Edited by UpgradeInProgress