[DE]Pablo

Why Do We UI Like We UI?

Chance at focus points, extra loot, bounties for new planets or additional objectives should be weaved into the new layouts for each screen which encourage PVP / PVE / and Squadrons to harvest specters and allies which then is tied to each of the relays and city estates across each faction, robots, and enemies for glamour loot, ship components, kitguns, kitbows, robotics, and operator gifts sigils of mars quality, memoirs in chests at which came to be upgrades for relics or subfunctions, seems also that old  equiped lenses should get additional enhancements which like arcanes would fit into further passive traits and mod school architechtures,

a radiolar and satellite broadcast per area or planet should be special or include shops NPC and other wise text instead of high quality messages just like the regular radio to save bandwith,  link and broadcast further should include enemies and civilians, advertisements, additional music sitar for example is a instrument which is not heard often, some orbiters can play music instead of just requiring a set of scanned or secret nodes across each mad planet, those old things are annoying and take a really long tio me time* and a special room, so those songs housed behind a special segment should include special mods, rivens, or items to redeem and upgrade for the operators and each warframe, say they are linked to special abilities to change the way they function maybe the orbiter can be used to power up some mods or special attks that are then passive . , , i dont know, i think relics and runes which go unnused oand other collectibels fail to deliver any interest to the players, so all these rewards thatwe get, eventually have no conscript, or value, if they dont have apparent purpuse.

Profile screens and upgrade screens could use other elemental icons, photographs, and bonuses, some mods are lackign interesting things and do not affiliate with their proper schools, so operators ain't getting anything by using warframe or pistol mods, robots should be able to sub-use or obtain some data from those mods that are avaliable, maybe like use a reload mod on the mote prism to shoot a special ice-load, and collant beam, otehr procs and statuses for players to want to use their pets, robots, spectre, and anime.if not at least other npc should give a crap, give u fish and stuff for the orbiter

theres nothing in relays for the orbiter itself, or special screens, pvp is also really masket and should have like lunaro adaptations in regular missions treasure chests and findings.

Edited by SnakeBadger

The problem with the whole conversation analogy is that its very flawed.

If a new weapon comes out i need to know 3 things.

1) Stats

2) Crafting cost/where to farm it

3) how it looks

But conversations does not follow a straight 1 to 3 format other then in bad writing and video games.

A real conversation would be like a friend meeting me on the street showing me a picture(3) of his new car while explaining its performance(1) and that he got it at the dealer next to his job(2) last wednesday.

What Warframe does is like if the same friend told me got a new car.

And then shut his mouth.

Only by a prompt from me to continue would he tell me more.

So he would then tell me its performance.

And promptly shut his mouth again.

At this point i have to promt him again to tell me more.

So he tell me got it at the dealer next to his job.

(the fact he got it last wednesday is missing here)

Only by yet another prompt would he show me how it looked by showing me an entire car park filled with 20 cars all the while pointing at one of the tiny cars in the huge picture is his.

The entire conversation would be an absolute waste of time and i would both consider if it was something wrong with that car and if it would be worth my time to listen to any more stories from said friend.

Rivens should allow operator enhancements and allocation to regular mods at least subbing within each school, other sound effects and animations should help, the point is not adding more but making what we have worth looking at, profiles with customization and music are usually locked behind clan screens, and relays are somewhat boring because they are locked behind main story and subquest, had a few friends quit recently because they got annoyed with the pre-requisites for the new players, warframe has a really slimy set of missions before things become bread. I find cetus to be a nice place to start and earth also but there are no PvP incentives. Hey, or any reason why a new player would just log - in and start playing lunaro, or want to visit a realay, if they can already talk to the NPC from the ship's computer.

I think modifications would have to be really made to the orbiters and relays, and then focus on new rewards and experiences for the relays, PVP, and cities or planets in the solar chart which lack new enemies or interesting content, rewards, and replayability, easy adjustments in the make could be new music for combat, or animations for those planets screens, new WEATHER TYPES, Lighting changes and ENEMIES which affect the types of rewards and change how combat feels, **players should feel the need to explore and WANT TO STAY in each planet or mission, especially if they are soloing, opening chests is not enough, drop some excavators and occasional robot enemies to keep things interesting.

23 hours ago, GhostLacuna said:

Thank you, Ghost Lacuna!

I do agree with your first post!!! it was really funny i cant stop my self from laughin!!! HAHAHA o god, see my problem with warframes and weapons is that the prime versions and other weapons end up making the regular versions look like rubish without a riven mod for example a regular burston is just garbage, things like riven disposition dont make any sense to me either, I DONT KNOW WHAT RIVEN DISPOSITION MEANS! so the stat screen seems advanced and convoluted. I think we all know and want new types of status effects, animations or special shoot types for each weapon and warframes to go further with customization, say we earned additional passive traits and could just not have to equip mods all the time, so the foundry becomes more useful or the other rooms in the orbiter can be like any RPG to make non-mod changes, keeping each prime and regular weapon revalent and useful will make them desirable, and players will want to collect more than just one version, if crafting or foundry had randomizations or special nodes to mix or convert items into special skills and attachments, madmax.

endo could be allocated for non-robotics, operator movements, and new skill trees to allow access to pre-patch (old abilities, new abilities, special attacks, more finishers, special weapons and objects) this way players can earne exclusive emotes pertaining to each warframe or planets have to give and mission type for their power.

1. Spoiler

1. Emmisives, color screens, weathers per planet lack lustre, so buying palletes should contain more elements and status procs for those warframes CHROMA to shoot nuclear or laser damage with the chances that each node has special bonuses or additional passive traits, and augments weaved into those glamours and shuffle bonus, players mess up and press their hardwork is lost, no revert button, or stats allocated, so i quit equinox and chroma, there should be additonal ephemerals and reactiosn to each planet changes which like gauss chemically change the structure of the elements and animations which react with the environments, also, customizations and buttons are VERY SMALL and very hard to see or understand, even with the tutorials and animations much of warframe is a shoot in the dark for proffesional players to thrive, new players will run away for sure unless you make pvp and syndicates take part of regular missions per planet rewards, and new operator content, new bounties, and more uses for the radio and ships, much of the game relies on the items wheel, and foundry is very stuck with no additional randomizations or features mods dont add up or link with other game elements even though they are from the same schools, SAME SCHOOL BONUS? AFFINITY BOOST? SECRET EPHEMERA? RESISTANCE BONUS? i'd like to see that non-exclusive gear become interesting so that it can be bought again or crafted again,
    2. the way you can get players to buy more stuff or craft more is by allowing the replay and foundry system, and excavations to include other items and randomizations, threats and challenges, sub-missions, secret messages, and bounties to be marked with RNG like finding a hidden scroll or coordinates is popular but if you have discovered another blueprint, this can be exchanged at the orbiter for other items, such as PVP items, operator cosmetics, special mods at each console, and endo, this will mean that also if you want to craft another said piece it could contain different data or it can be upgraded using ENDO, and other items, it can be a red helmet, other games have simular +1 sysstens with special traits, random bonuses, and looks nicer.
    3. non-prime
    4. if you fix non-prime items they should be viable to use for combat instead of just relying on rivens and special aughments, we all want powerful gear, but it doesnt mean that my S#&$tyriffle and lato go put off forever, add them to finishers, and into other alchemies, crafting, or give them their own set of passive traits, players will want to upgrade them, we have alot of planets to explore and treasure chest to explore.
    5. red treasure chests suck, because they can only be opened with a special mod or robotic / pet, 
    6. instead a hacking system should be added to lockers, and some dash which the robot can perform, spectres also have no customizations so its game over at the foundry.
    7. last coment - Baro ki'ter takes way too long to appear, there should be other sellers and provisionist added to each planet relay or sub system that goes to say baro does not leave behind anything and takes weeks before he comes back, old wares should remain with higher price or incentives to make some missions replayable such as seasonal event rewards to collect or recover in relics, those are boring and have no special presets or additiona lrewards, players lose if they donot collect all the reactant is abundant and should be just exposed to special machines or each relay, machines in  other planets, and instaed have triggers and passives or status procs added to them, these missions are repetitive and goring, the content needs new enemies and animations, music and monsters to match, it makes no sense,
    8. oh i was saying that cetus for example gets a bow expert and some ship/upgrades for the orbiter and bounty system to make sense the relay and syndicate should drop off a few new NPC at cetus and new enemies appear, konzu shoulnt be the only reason at cetus to take up missions, kit-parts are given containing BOW DATA, robotics, and other fortunes, there is a huge area in cetus with alot of room and trees, water areas to explore underwater caves, and mission ideas i can think of many options to make the riding over the sea in enemy ships, and boats avaliable, the otherwise infested open world missions need more content, they are boring and have lacklustre rewards and predictable enemies, stompy is cool but alot of players complain, and his loot is predictable, thre should be other weapons and blueprints to find, say ROBOTICS and kitparts is added to each enemy type, knives, roboguns, shield ephemera, glyphs and finisher rewards team mates, not just on the kunnai, i think that would be good to see other damage types also. 

SYNDICATE, DAILY STANDINGS, RANKS, GLYPHS, PVP

Spoiler

They dont have adequate bonuses, sigils or rewards per mission, faction also alot of missing enemy types, and blueprints, much of the system is fragmented, also nobody wants to join space missions, archwing, or underwater adventures, because of the lack of flexible upgrades, mods, and ordinances, its very scary to go underwater alone but i hope that at least there can be more things to be uncovered or discovered, if i had a way to mask my travels, then maybe a reduced speed mode, scale or camuflage passive which is helpful for players who want to move slow? and want to spend time in each area non-combat additions would be nice, these screens are okay at times, but lack flexibility,

what i see wrong with the visuals at the relays and syndicates is that each rank has no exclusives, but relies on a set of rewards that not even konzu has access to, so konzu should get his own set of exclusive blueprints and parts, gear for enhancing night and day survival, rentals, and enhancements, not just mods, nobody knows how to equip them if they just got started and want to just enter the plains of eidolon for the first time, bounties will get pretty good if they had other enemy types and rewards which could be traded for PVP and cosmetic parts, not jsut in a seasonal faction, but one that is permenant.

pet shop has no exclusive combat, mods, or particulum powerpoints, a rank system and bounties or rewards is a small improvement for each NPC and fisherman, but there can be more unlockable warframes, weapons, and gear. Easily a few glyphs for the time being and temporary combat bots to make solo play and bountius full, these should trigger each enemy type and the rewards aat the end of the screen to be adequate, i dont like the daily standing to be a major focus but one that is enhancing gameplay to be used to mod and enhance some content and acess in town, monster hunter has a banquet and temporary boosters, we have passive traits that suck on each warframe at times they dont completely seem bad, but doing the same robot everyday with no escape should at least get revised passive trait system and upgrades at the rewards screens using endo as a temporary catalyst, and their npcs will elongate game and bounty hunters interest in new weapons and items, not just a plat system, but one that uses other items and RNG items found.

i dont like seasonal events because they are temporary, please try to make content which is permanent and patch worthy, If is fun then at least allow additonal NPcs to add other markers and stops like baro-kiter, especially after a certain mission which u came back holding a DATAMASS, or brought back a enemy robot, scans should turn into useful data to allocate into mods, robotic animations and rewards later, not required to gain items, but useful ways to speed up RNG. Allowing for stealthy and slow gamers to get snipers blueprints and special sugatras or glyphs per standing, syndicate lore, this can mean that some rivens can be unlocked by scanning, or that some special set of gifts is awarded to players who are careful, ( Say a excavator is dropped off at the start of the mission, or hackign trigger security but increases rewards and affinity types and status effects, failing a mission is not game over, and that if its snowing some enemies change their shields and weapon types.)

things like that.are useful per planet.

RED VEIL - RESPECTED

Spoiler

RANK 1 naturally allows spectre or chargers to assist at random per mission, and customization, with EXP and ranks or weapons, the players who visit can change their REDVEIL load-outs, per faction this makes sense, unless you are the enemy of the syndicate, then there are some new animations and enemy types, i think rightnow its locked behind a large mass of unrewarding killing and survival mode which also cancels out the primary objective, the veil is smarter, and should attack players who are fishing or minning, flying, and their orbiters with hacks, hi-jacks at some way or form, and during other missions objectives and interuptions can eman new enemis,blueprints, rewards, which gives the screens and rewards a make over, kuva just steal items, they should appear as common hirelings in other missions with said special rewrds and conflicting blueprints, or keys, status effects, weather and lighting changes to change the mood of other story and planets missions, especially in the void,

chargers i am unaware but have no shields or weapons to attack with, teleportation, or scents and posion to distract enemies they should be able to split into several parts, mutate, and re-animate upon death, their specter counterparts should come with unique strenghts, and colors, like how chroma does a special element but the specters blueprints are wasted, and cant be recovered easily, so customization adn growth or participation is apparent in need.

also each of our glyphs that we can buy shoudl allow for said summunings, aughments and waraframe aplifications, yea the norther scientist have amalgams but we too can make thigns in our dojos and releays, take them to the end, lunaro and pvp, foundry versions changes, floofs, and random pre-set passives, and temporary boosgters, based on the load-outs, each faction can have a daily bonus

FACTION daily boosters to MACHINE GUNS per rank enemy or not are incentives to come get new mods, and try augments and temporary boosters per city, relay, and estate, the orbiter offers a few basic using the console, ricardo and the other NPC in the game have their own special way to boost combat and travel performance too, not just with platinim to win transactions, but those that can be unlocked during missions, after missions, and further with customization, ranks, and foundry, these can be large alien odors and crystals, monsters and machines which disperce bonuses, treasure chests contents, reload, and energy packets, the data mass and aitems being held, ayatan stars, and scans can grant temporary bonuses, glyphs just enhance them or add ephenmeral ranks, and allow for the users to specialize, like rivens but they dont take up SLOTS, and separates the new players from the PRO VERSION player, while looking at grinner some weapons gain additional fire rate with a glyph on the guns, machete style, but can over head at times, MELEE WEAPONS next.

Relic Refinement

I often find myself refining relics en masse after collecting void traces. To refine ten relics, I have to click forty times. Please allow batches. And use a minimum number of clicks in that case: 

1. Select a relic. 
  2. Select a refinement level. 
  3. Batch count (limited by traces). 
  4. Go. 

At this point, I've already triple confirmed my intent. 

Orbiter Bug

There is a small bug when accessing the Void Relics station from inside the orbiter. It kicks you out on the first try. This does not occur through the orbiter's fast travel menu. 

Declarative Matchmaking

The matchmaking UI is often counterproductive. If I'm selecting a relic when someone leaves, I'm kicked out of the UI. If the last cell member leaves, the UI jams and I have to exit Navigation and enter again. If I click on the wrong mission type and pubs are queued, I'm sucked in with no warning. If the host migrates while I'm using using the orbiter UI, I'm frozen in place. 

There are general patterns that address these issues. Two come to mind. First, the contrast between declarative languages like regular expressions and imperative languages like BASIC. For regex, I tell the computer what I'm looking for and it finds it. Compare that to BASIC where I tell the computer exactly what to do. The current matchmaking UI is like BASIC. Second, fly-by-wire systems where the pilot controls a model and the computer adjusts the control surfaces to match the model.

I want the UI to be more like ordering dinner from a restaurant and less like going to the store and cooking. I'm willing to tell the game what I want to happen. Then it is the game's job to figure out how to make that happen. I don't want to pick the same exact relic three times because people left. If the host migrates while I'm using the orbiter UI, do that in the background instead of freezing my controls and screen. If I provide the mode, node, and relic then hold onto that information and make it happen. 

I would not touch the matchmaking system. Instead, I would isolate the UI for missions and dump the result of that interaction into memory. Then, I would talk to the existing matchmaking code. When the current UI would kick, instead I will loop using the player's intent as input. 

Repeat Mission

A bug related to matchmaking is the Repeat Mission button. It never works consistently. It will take you to the same node. But it will screw things up if there is a fissure, kuva, syndicate, or other type layered on the location. With a declarative system, you will be able to save a player's intent between missions. And so you will have the information necessary to definitively repeat the mission. This will also solve the problem of being thrown into an alternate mission type when your type expires. Instead, the button might indicate that your mission type expired. 

On 2020-01-24 at 4:33 PM, [DE]Pablo said:

Mastery tests

The pre and post Mastery test screens are also being redone along with the new Mastery badges that were previewed a while back in a Devstream. We added a button to practice the test directly from here. Along with adding some tips to explain what is Mastery Rank and why do you want it for newer players.
5d3b9e560d90872207d046f86ae5e5f1.jpg

These are ugly. I don't want to earn any mastery if this is how my badge looks like.

Love it! These new UI changes seem to be very well thought out. I like that a lot.

I agree that prime items need a whole new look for the prime interface to work. It also wouldn't go too amiss by allowing labels to be on by default and you can turn them off in settings. 

Here is a UI question.  Why can I not see the nightwave credits on the first nightwave screen where I see my objectives on? That is some info I would like to have so I know how many I have before I have to open the store rather than when I open the store. 

On 2020-01-24 at 4:33 PM, [DE]Pablo said:

The choice that drives us

The two most common types of feedback we get are

1. Need more information
     2. This is overwhelming

I can on one hand appriciate that whoever is in charge of the UI want's a crisp clean experience BUT that should never come at the cost of relevant information. The whole point of a UI is to convey information to the end user in a convenient manor. If it happens to look snazzy then more power to it BUT (again) information should be first and foremost. 

Kuva is an example that I've have hated about the Warframe UI for years, because it is not displayed by default along side Endo/Credits in the mod screen. Instead requiring you to filter your mods by Riven, Then clicking on a Riven mod all to determine if clicking on a riven mod is worth it in the first place. EG Do I have enough Kuva to re-roll the stats on a Riven? 

There are a bunch of other small instances with the "hover to find out more" implementation with things like "have I crafted this before?" for items that you only ever need one of such as cosmetics. It would be really nice if that was on the base icon along with the "I've mastered this" laurel so people could tell at a glance not only if they'd purchased something prior but also if they'd crafted it. 

Minimalism should be the thing that you opt into instead of having to opt into "please display relevant information". Displaying relevant information is the whole purpose of a UI. If said UI happens to look snazzy then more power to it but it should first and foremost be functional. Unfortunately Warframes UI has gone the form over function rout as is evidenced by basic information being an afterthought that users are required to turn on in a sub menu of the game or having to dance around with Rivens just to figure out how much Kuva you actually have. 

I really wish the primary driving credo for the UI team was "At a glance" instead of "Make it sparkle".

Edited by Oreades

True. "Make it sparkle" adds to the "overwhelming".
However, putting a lot of info on the screen with a minimalistic look also becomes overwhelming. That's because irrelevant info distracts from what you want to see by looking the same.

Solution: separate info into different categories, each with its own visual cues.

End of mission screen:
After a couple of seconds of highlights, it should look the same as holding Tab during the mission.
As for that screen, try making the boxes in it dynamic.
- If there's no notable change in a specific standing, standings can remain on another screen. If I've collected over 2000 standing with Simaris, that was definitely intentional and should be displayed.
- If there's a scroll bar on the loot list, the list should divide into 2 boxes. In this case, mission-specific rewards should be in its own box (opening relics or Ivara on spy missions or vitus). Put endo and credits at the bottom of the list.
- If you only got Oberon parts and you already own him or had it maxed and sold, that can remain mixed up with regular loot.

Abilities screen:
- should have a "Show all descriptions" checkbox near "Show base stats".
- Tips should be separated per-ability. If there's an interaction between abilities, it's OK for the same tip to show on multiple abilities.

Edited by Uthael

Am 24.1.2020 um 22:33 schrieb [DE]Pablo:

End of mission

We are changing the end of mission screen quite a bit, first, by consolidating the mod and item sections into a single grid and increasing how many items you see at first glance from 6 to 10. Syndicates and Item Affinity are also being put together into a progress section that will show Focus, Intrinsics, etc.

Stats are being moved into their own section with a few added ones like healing done, crowd control time and damage prevented.
And we are introducing special recognition for things done during the mission, for example you might’ve found a lot of the Syndicate Medallions, revived your allies or put out a lot of fires in Railjack. We want to recognize that you aided your team there and who did the most damage isn’t the only thing that matters.

And finally we are adding more flavour to it by showcasing your whole squad.
b25e3cfd2b562d17ab311ec8cba22780.png

First of all: great screen. But: In the current UI it feels like we have a better overview of our loot, seperating mods (which I think should include avionics as well) and all others (ressources, prime parts, whatevers) into two sections. By grouping them all in togeher you have created the problem of having all of these grouped in together. I'd suggest either organising the list of loot (first prime parts, then mods, then ressources...) or making it 2 seperate lists (mods/avionics are a good thing to put into a seperate column since they generate a lot of seperate icons).

Why not have an "advanced" toggle for statistics? New players may want a generic description but advanced players want to see the stats so they can Mod their weapons and warframes better. As is is, I have to add a mod, highlight the ability, observe, etc. I'd like a pop-up ability menu for when I'm actually changing the stats.

Moreover, some abilities have stat-caps, like Equinox' Pacify&Provoke, her Power Strength Buff has a cap at about 230% Ability Strength. Indicating where those max caps are without having to go to a wiki would be very helpful and that could be a scrollover option, because I want to know it but don't need to see it all the time.

• Like 1

To hop in on this bandwagon, many of my complaints about the console UI stem from there being too much clutter.  My main complaint stems from navigating the Foundry where the vast majority of blueprints I own are for things that I have already crafted and/or mastered.  While I appreciate the ability to see everything I own, sorting by whether or not I can craft something is insufficient in the sense that I can likely craft most things, so any new BP gets buried somewhere.  It would be really nice to have a way to toggle mastered/crafted (or have it sortable as such) to identify anything new.

Perhaps a further point, having Warframe component BPs flagged as mastered would be nice as well (e.g. Ash Prime is built and mastered on the BP, but Ash Prime Chassis isn't marked as either (as the chassis has been used to built Ash Prime and doesn't carry a mastery in-and-of itself).

For the Codex, I would suggest that weapons get broken down a bit more (beyond primary, secondary, melee) to have separate archwing primary, archwing melee, companion weapon categories rather than have them just appear at the end of the existing lists.

For End of Mission reports, it would be nice to be able to interact with them during the loading screen back to our orbiters rather than play with our landing craft behind a semi-transparent window.

As for there being TMI to display in Warframe, it would be nice for there to be more guidance, especially for button-mapping purposes.  I don't generally use 'frames that have abilities that can be selected in-game (e.g.Ivara's Quiver) because in the heat of the moment, I can't figure out how to change type.  (Yes, this is also a consequence of being inexperienced with a given frame, so there's no muscle memory to build on, but it's something of a catch-22 of not knowing how to use a 'frame completely and not using it because I don't know how to.)  Yes, Warframe is a multi-platform game, but playing on a console makes certain things just that much harder as there are fewer buttons on a controller than keys on a keyboard.  (Using RB and LB to flip to different tabs is useful, but on certain menus, also changes the menu AND a tab.)

Since you're reworking (poorly i might add) the end-mission screen, maybe change the mission progress screen (the one you tab into) to show more mission critical elements, like for example A BUFF LIST WITH ACTUAL TEXT, SO WE DON'T HAVE TO MEMORIZE THE ICONS FOR ALL THE BUFFS FOR WARFRAMES WE DON'T EVEN PLAY?

Seriously. I could write an essay on how bad the UX in this game is, especially with many of the recent UI changes. We went from 1 click for info (basically what you want to do for good UX), albeit presented in a confusing and less than ideal way. To a mess of clicks and tabs with different unintuitive interactions for no good reason. Sure empty space is as if not more important than filled space in good design, but you're adding seconds to interactions that users have to undertake dozens of times each day. That just makes the experience worse, and detracts from the game. And for what? A empty screen that most of the times, only shows a diorama that is clunky and obfuscates the actual object of the page.

And i don't see many proposed improvements in this post. Sure aesthetically it looks nice, but you know what's the problem with putting aesthetics before usability? It makes the experience, and repeat actions worse, it makes players enjoy the game less. And seriously, do you guys want people to enjoy the game less than they have? Because Railjack wore off pretty fast... And numbers seem to drop...

I'll be honest, as someone that has been playing this game for years, and actively pushing people to play this game, because it's the last bastion of developers listening to their community, i'm deeply ashamed and irked by this post. Because it's pretty much the opposite of what DE should stand for. It's not about listening to feedback and improving. It's pretty much Pablo trying to explain to us, like we haven't ever interacted with games or websites, or apps ever in our life, and we don't know when an experience feels good, or doesn't. No, he justifies it trying to push a weird concept of UX, using it to justify going pretty much against most of what makes a good UI/UX provide a good UX.
Basically a condescending "You're wrong, i'm right" post. Which is the most disrespectful crap you can throw at us.

On 2020-01-24 at 11:45 PM, (PS4)blackbeltdude7 said:

I'm glad there's a dev workshop on this; thank you for explaining it, @[DE]Pablo.

I've done professional UI and UX design for years myself, and the biggest problem I think you guys are running into here is at the beginning; you're trying to design the game's UI for two completely (conflicting) different demographics.

I understand why you're trying not to overwhelm players with the UI. It's often cited as one of the main reasons why there's a loss of player retention (as far as I recall). In my opinion though, that isn't a problem related to the UI as much as it is people realizing that the game isn't what they're looking for. There's people who might like the theme, design and gameplay, but they just don't want to use the depth of the system. In reality, if those players decide to stick around (despite their distaste for information screens), they'll just be ignoring the additional information they can interact with no matter what. I'm sure that these players exist in the player base (likely casual players), but they are not the core player base as far as I can tell.

The core player base are the players that are saying "we want to see more information." We won't get overwhelmed by information/data/statistics because we're looking for it in the first place (that's why there's a lot of hate the tool tips and hidden stats).

Warframe is a game with a lot of depth to it in it's systems, and by simplifying that depth in the UI in an effort for better player retention, it's frustrating the core playerbase because it makes the UI less useful to us. The current UI design isn't being made with the core player base in mind. If we give this thread a week, I'm sure the consensus in feedback will be pretty consistent-- that players essentially want more information visible at all times. This is because the casual players that you're designing the UI and UX for aren't invested in the game enough to have an presence in its online communities.

TL;DR: Please reconsider the demographic that you're designing the UI and UX for. You're trying to appeal to casual players who won't engage in all of this in-depth information either way if they stick around to continue to play the game. In trying to appeal to them, you're frustrating your actual core demographic of players because you're making the UI more cumbersome for us.

I don't believe this applies to ALL new gamers either. I mean as a new player i want as much info as i can get when i'm learning the game. And if i'm buying a weapon in a game, especially in the begging, i don't care how good it looks, i want to know if it'll kill my enemies or not. So some info is necessary.

Maybe a toggle in the options that shows just basic stuff like ammo, damage and range, or the full descriptor. But having to press tab for more info, when you actually have the real estate to make a decent info box without cluttering the screen? That's just bad UX.

On 2020-01-25 at 12:33 AM, [DE]Pablo said:

The two most common types of feedback we get are

1. Need more information
     2. This is overwhelming

These two are generally the forces that pull us in opposite directions. On rare occasions, you can find some solutions that make a screen less overwhelming, without having to lower the amount of information displayed at once, but for the most part, these are two conflicting objectives.

Here's my view on the matter.

If you get two such types of feedback in equal proportion consistently, it doesn't mean the UI somehow magically contains too little and too much info simultaneously, what it rather means is that the UI contains some info but at the same time does it so poorly that a player cannot figure it out without external help.

This is precisely the case with the current UI (and not only UI). The problem is not the volume of info it contains, but that it doesn't explain what it is.

One of the recurring questions in the Region chat is 'where do I farm *resource name*?'. The UI always gave you this information. However when Starchart 2.0 was a thing, this info was nicely and clearly visible the moment you selected a planet, whereas in the new Starchart to access it you have to hover your mouse over a picture of an extractor you (as a new player) are completely unfamiliar with. And it got even worse, now you don't even have that picture, but a small button named 'resource drones'. The player doesn't need some 'resource drones' they have no idea about, they want to know where the damn Neurodes drop.

That's the problem, current UI can't explain what it's trying to tell the player.

And what's with the new UI?

On 2020-01-25 at 12:33 AM, [DE]Pablo said:

b25e3cfd2b562d17ab311ec8cba22780.png

What does this screen practically tell the player about their rewards? It tells 'you got a prime handle' or 'you got some argon crystals' without any further clarification, and that is only fair if you consider the player actually knowing what each picture stands for. Meanwhile it considers really important info like 'how much damage did I take?' less necessary than occupying half of the screen for someone's fashionframe.

This particular screen fixes none of the two problems the players have. It manages to be both less informative and more confusing at the same time. And looking at some parts of the UI we already have (like Avionics screen compared to mods screen) I can tell this is an issue across all the new UI. It practically fixes nothing, just looks a bit better.

• Like 1

Overall the UI changes look pretty good, keep it up! However for me (and maybe some others) might prefer an option to go back to the old design just in case there are any issues with new UI, there is something we don’t prefer with the new UI, or just for nostalgic purposes (if that makes sense).

My ideal solution would be to add a new toggle option maybe titled “Legacy Interfaces” under the Interface section that will turn on or off some select few legacy interfaces. A secondary idea would be to add an option that will instead open a menu where the client can toggle on/off the shown legacy UIs of his choice.

Although I’m throwing out ideas, go with what you feel is right. You do lots of things amazing and I can’t wait to see what content is coming in the future. 

16 hours ago, Angel_Bot32 said:

Overall the UI changes look pretty good, keep it up! However for me (and maybe some others) might prefer an option to go back to the old design just in case there are any issues with new UI, there is something we don’t prefer with the new UI, or just for nostalgic purposes (if that makes sense).

My ideal solution would be to add a new toggle option maybe titled “Legacy Interfaces” under the Interface section that will turn on or off some select few legacy interfaces. A secondary idea would be to add an option that will instead open a menu where the client can toggle on/off the shown legacy UIs of his choice.

Although I’m throwing out ideas, go with what you feel is right. You do lots of things amazing and I can’t wait to see what content is coming in the future. 

They won't do that. Somethng along the lines of "The effort of maintaining several different UIs is wasted effort. Better used somewhere else."

I see nothing wrong with that though... As long as they make some upvoted changes proposed in this topic before forcing this thing on us.

I'm sitting here looking at the diaromas on a prime displays and tennogen skins.  "the camera is not controllable",

"where is the camera pointed",

"the feet are chopped off not revealing the whole model".

Imagine taking a family picture and you only have a random portion in the frame. 

...incompetence at its finest...who looked at this and said this is it,  this is what we're going with...fired!!!

• Like 2