Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Laser Misrepresentation

Ganpot

Why is it that every laser weapon in this game has a far shorter range than bullet (and even many projectile) weapons?  I don't want to nitpick here, but you guys do realize that one of the most important advantages of lasers is that they literally travel faster and (at least theoretically) longer than any other form of conventional matter, right? 

Don't get me wrong: I love the Flux Rifle.  I'm fine with having a short-range laser or two.  But can we please get a legitimate laser weapon with an unlimited range?  The Spectra could really use a buff anyway (it is worse than the Flux Rifle in every possible way).  Of course, I also wouldn't complain if you made the Spectra more similar to its inspiration *cough*PlasmaCutter*cough*, and simply added a new laser weapon. 

but a laser (beam of light) would diminish in intensity (power) over distance.

so it would be effective only to a short range.  unless its from a Massive device like DeathStar

but what us Tenno get are a Gun sized Laser in rifle and Handgun models. and the handgun has a shorter range than the Rifle.

idk, to me it makes sense. 

not to mention that we can use mods to make a Ice/Fire/electric Laser. "MY beam of light can freeze, burn and electrocute you WEEEE"

plus if it was unlimited range, the forums would flood with the QQ "The new lasor gun is so OP now Nerf it nerf it."  and no one wants that.

Edited by OniDarkClown

actually for the range aspect it's highly plausible because of the diffraction of light making the laser lose power over distance since it travels through matter. But your point DOES work on the fact that those weapon have traveling time which doesnt make much sense since science considers that it is impossible to travel faster then the speed of light. That and an average bullet would travel around a speed of 500 m/s (= 1640 ft/s) maybe a tad faster where light travels at a speed of about 88 km/s (= 88 000 m/s =288 714 ft/s)(see edit) in air making the fact that most bullet weapon hit their target faster then laser ones rather.....peculiar.

EDIT: wrong speeds for light i made an other post with the correct ones further in the thread sry again

Edited by MurasameFsey

but a laser (beam of light) would diminish in intensity (power) over distance.

so it would be effective only to a short range.  unless its from a Massive device like DeathStar

but what us Tenno get are a Gun sized Laser in rifle and Handgun models. and the handgun has a shorter range than the Rifle.

idk, to me it makes sense. 

not to mention that we can use mods to make a Ice/Fire/electric Laser. "MY beam of light can freeze, burn and electrocute you WEEEE"

plus if it was unlimited range, the forums would flood with the QQ "The new lasor gun is so OP now Nerf it nerf it."  and no one wants that.

Lasers diminish in intensity due to atmospheric distortion, collisions with gas molecules, and imperfect alignment of the photons themselves.  In space, lasers can travel almost indefinitely.  They are not like other sources of light; they last far, FAR longer.  Here is a recent demonstration of a laser's potential: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn8540-longest-laser-link-bridges-the-gulf-of-space.html#.Uk-yHBApjbw

I should also point out that the Tenno exist in a universe which has artificial gravity, hand-crafted pocket dimensions, cloning (albeit, imperfect cloning), and genetic engineering skillful enough to create both a sentient plague and living suits of armor.  A hand-held laser with decent power should be child's play. 

And last but not least, bullet weapons already have unlimited range (or close to it, for all practical purposes).  No reasonable person is going to claim that laser weapons would be OP simply because they start to do what bullet weapons have always done. 

Or perhaps it's not a laser and still is plasma like every other Corpus weapons, but fired in a continuous stream and decoheres after the EM sheathing reaches its projection limit. Or because the range restriction is a game construct to prevent it from having infinite range alongside good damage/crit output and serrated blade damage.

Like I mentioned in another thread, it'd be nice to get some actual laser rifles. Ones dealing fire damage, hitscan, and has a long damage falloff.

Lasers diminish in intensity due to atmospheric distortion, collisions with gas molecules, and imperfect alignment of the photons themselves.  In space, lasers can travel almost indefinitely.  They are not like other sources of light; they last far, FAR longer.

So? Unless someone blows out a window or you run out of time in Survival there is an atmosphere. That said I'm inclined to believe that they are plasma weapons.

Or hard light, which has just been invented.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2013-09/hu-sli092513.php

From a gameplay standard, I like the wonkyness of the energy weapons. I think a realistic laser would be aces too, but the ones that already exist should stay as they are.

Edited by ValhaHazred

I should also point out that the Tenno exist in a universe which has artificial gravity, hand-crafted pocket dimensions, cloning (albeit, imperfect cloning), and genetic engineering skillful enough to create both a sentient plague and living suits of armor.  A hand-held laser with decent power should be child's play. 

So then why bring realistic physics up as a reason to make them work that way?

Anyway, these weapons are used in artificial atmosphere in missions. Missions don't happen out in space. It's not an unreasonable representation of a laser, and as you pointed out above, there is no point to getting overly technical.

Why is it that every laser weapon in this game has a far shorter range than bullet (and even many projectile) weapons?  I don't want to nitpick here, but you guys do realize that one of the most important advantages of lasers is that they literally travel faster and (at least theoretically) longer than any other form of conventional matter, right? 

Laser weapons require constant energy to be put into them to keep them from quickly dissipating due to energy dissipation.

weaponized ones also require even more constant energy, to produce enough intensity to burn. 

so it actually makes some level of sense(i admit, not perfect) since the weapon would have a limited energy output and capacity. 

if you think about the end of the Laser on say, Flux, being the end of where the beam can be considered effective, then it's a totally different story.

actually for the range aspect it's highly plausible because of the diffraction of light making the laser lose power over distance since it travels through matter. But your point DOES work on the fact that those weapon have traveling time which doesnt make much sense since science considers that it is impossible to travel faster then the speed of light. That and an average bullet would travel around a speed of 500 m/s (= 1640 ft/s) maybe a tad faster where light travels at a speed of about 88 km/s (= 88 000 m/s =288 714 ft/s) in air making the fact that most bullet weapon hit their target faster then laser ones rather.....peculiar.

Pistol bullet: 300-400 m/s

Rifle bullet: 800-900 m/s

Edit: there are large caliber pistol bullets that travels below 300 m/s and there are small caliber rifle bullets that travels in 1000 m/s or more.

Edited by RX-74

I always always under the impression that those hand held laser weapons, which apparently do "cutting" are short ranged because they were actually tools, so having them being only effective at short range makes sense to me. Heck, I'm surprised it even goes as far as it does.

As for the rifles that shoot the "pew pew" lasers were similar to the lasers in the star wars movies where, they were actually not in fact lasers, but heavily charged metals being fired at such a rate, it gave the illusion of the "pew pew" laser. =P

Edited by Vigilance

So? Unless someone blows out a window or you run out of time in Survival there is an atmosphere.

When I say that lasers are diminished by atmosphere, I mean the entire atmosphere.  As in, it takes the entire trip from ground level up to space for a decently powerful laser to become significantly less stable.  Even one of those cheap laser pointers you can buy at the grocery store can travel for miles.  The spaces we are talking about in Warframe are so miniscule in comparison that they wouldn't make any difference to a laser. 

Like I mentioned in another thread, it'd be nice to get some actual laser rifles. Ones dealing fire damage, hitscan, and has a long damage falloff.

Well, the in-game descriptions of the Spectra, Flux Rifle, and Supra (oddly enough) all mention that they are lasers, whereas the Dera is specifically mentioned to be plasma.  If that's a labeling mistake, if should probably be fixed.  I did also mention in the OP that I would be fine with simply adding in a new weapon to be a semi-accurate portrayal of a laser.  Contrary to what everyone seems to think, I am not demanding that every current laser weapon be changed. 

So then why bring realistic physics up as a reason to make them work that way?

There is a fundamental difference between things like artificial gravity and pocket dimensions, and having lasers behave like plasma.  The former two things are at least somewhat theoretically possible, whereas the latter shows a misunderstanding of science.  It's like having a silent rocket launcher; it creates disbelief because a lot of players can easily recognize that rocket launchers fundamentally do not behave that way. 

Laser weapons require constant energy to be put into them to keep them from quickly dissipating due to energy dissipation.

weaponized ones also require even more constant energy, to produce enough intensity to burn. 

That is true; lasers require a lot of energy.  But I'm not sure how valid of an argument that is.  The US military is already testing weaponized lasers which can supposedly blow up far-away tanks when mounted on the bottom of fighter jets.  While those lasers aren't by any means portable, surely technology would have progressed far enough in Warframe's setting to allow for a portable, energy-efficient laser with at least similar range to modern ones. 

I always always under the impression that those hand held laser weapons, which apparently do "cutting" are short ranged because they were actually tools, so having them being only effective at short range makes sense to me. Heck, I'm surprised it even goes as far as it does.

As for the rifles that shoot the "pew pew" lasers were similar to the lasers in the star wars movies where, they were actually not in fact lasers, but heavily charged metals being fired at such a rate, it gave the illusion of the "pew pew" laser. =P

You are talking about mass accelerator weapons and they are nothing like lasers and I doubt that they should even shoot a red beam.

The Star Wars thing was retconned when it was pointed out that the ''laser'' weapons in Star Wars didn't perform as real laser weapons would.

Well, the in-game descriptions of the Spectra, Flux Rifle, and Supra (oddly enough) all mention that they are lasers, whereas the Dera is specifically mentioned to be plasma.  If that's a labeling mistake, if should probably be fixed.  I did also mention in the OP that I would be fine with simply adding in a new weapon to be a semi-accurate portrayal of a laser.  Contrary to what everyone seems to think, I am not demanding that every current laser weapon be changed.

Fun fact: Dera's damage type is called "Laser", despite its decription and all common sense saying it's plasma.

EDIT: And no worries, I don't think anyone here read it as "demanding current 'laser' weapons to have infinite range". Just mentioned game construct reasons because that is the final decider for the devs, physics or lore be damned sometimes.

But yes, lasrifles would be pretty dang awesome to have. Perhaps whenever the Grineer finally get energy weapons, it'll be in laser form instead of plasma.

Edited by Shion963

Fun fact: Dera's damage type is called "Laser", despite its decription and all common sense saying it's plasma.

I had forgotten about that, actually.  I have the sneaking suspicion that some of the weapon designers at DE do not realize that plasma and lasers are not the same thing. 

What I find doubly ironic is that lasers never needed their own damage type in the first place, since they just damage things through heat.

Pistol bullet: 300-400 m/s

Rifle bullet: 800-900 m/s

the ranges for more specialty rounds in both compact and full rifle sizes are far higher than that. 

pistols can get pretty high as well. 5.7x28mm can reach ~850m/s. and that's not even really that obscure of a round.

.50BMG also averages 1000m/s, and it's not a low caliber rifle round. but that's more of an extreme unlike some others, due to being light anti-armor at that point.

suffice to say, ballistics can fill a very wide range, it all depends on what each round is constructed to do. there isn't any guaranteed velocity range, different rounds can be made to specifically go slow, specifically go fast, etc. 

no metallic projectile is feasibly going to be accelerated fast enough(in a portable handheld size) to create Redshift in the eyes of the target. so it's just movie bullcrap. 

or Blueshift, for that matter. 

so we can ignore Lore justifications that are clearly false when trying to justify other Lore. 

When I say that lasers are diminished by atmosphere, I mean the entire atmosphere.  As in, it takes the entire trip from ground level up to space for a decently powerful laser to become significantly less stable.  Even one of those cheap laser pointers you can buy at the grocery store can travel for miles.  The spaces we are talking about in Warframe are so miniscule in comparison that they wouldn't make any difference to a laser. 

That is true; lasers require a lot of energy.  But I'm not sure how valid of an argument that is.  The US military is already testing weaponized lasers which can supposedly blow up far-away tanks when mounted on the bottom of fighter jets.  While those lasers aren't by any means portable, surely technology would have progressed far enough in Warframe's setting to allow for a portable, energy-efficient laser with at least similar range to modern ones. 

1 - weaponized lasers will feel the effect of dissipation much more readily than just laser pointers will. weaponized lasers need to keep density up constantly through pumping energy in in order to keep it lethal, not just getting light to the other end.

if you take the average laser pointer, and point it across a large room at a start white wall, you'll notice that while the laser 'got there', it's lost some signifigant beam density in just that distance. you can see this in the endpoint, you'll be able to see dust particles as shadows in the beam, etc. these particles are effectively infinite, and will constantly degrade  beam strength, which is critical to weaponized lasers to actually do something by the time they reach target.

2 - the military lasers we are testing are basically locked to aerospace as large as C-130's because weaponized lasers are chemical lasers, in order to get enough energy into the beam to actually damage something.

even C-130's have an estimated total beam run time of little over 30 seconds before chemical storage is empty.

running a laser off a battery and trying to be combatively effective with it, would require energy storage and throughput in each laser rifle to rival that of entire countries. in other words, shoot it in the right place, and you have a massive, uncontrolled release of energy(called an explosion). and you'd be holding that release of energy in your hands. 

Edited by taiiat

There is a fundamental difference between things like artificial gravity and pocket dimensions, and having lasers behave like plasma.  The former two things are at least somewhat theoretically possible, whereas the latter shows a misunderstanding of science.  It's like having a silent rocket launcher; it creates disbelief because a lot of players can easily recognize that rocket launchers fundamentally do not behave that way. 

But we're not talking about lasers behaving like plasma.

Lasers do fall off in effectiveness with range. Your objection about no atmosphere doesn't apply considering there is atmosphere in the environments the weapons use.

Of course its just a very general notion. It's not an extremely precise model of how a laser would really drop off, but that's really not within the scope of a game like this. It's just an extremely basic idea. There is no need to make it perfectly precise to satisfy a few physics "enthusiasts."

Sure, you can imagine some advanced future technology that makes it work like you want if you would like. That's not a law of physics, however. It's just what you apparently would like to see.

[Edit: I saw your reply about how you "meant the entire atmosphere". In short: there is a big difference between a data signal and a laser focused enough to be a weapon.]

Edited by Tenzek

1 - weaponized lasers will feel the effect of dissipation much more readily than just laser pointers will. weaponized lasers need to keep density up constantly through pumping energy in in order to keep it lethal, not just getting light to the other end.

if you take the average laser pointer, and point it across a large room at a start white wall, you'll notice that while the laser 'got there', it's lost some signifigant beam density in just that distance. you can see this in the endpoint, you'll be able to see dust particles as shadows in the beam, etc. these particles are effectively infinite, and will constantly degrade  beam strength, which is critical to weaponized lasers to actually do something by the time they reach target.

2 - the military lasers we are testing are basically locked to aerospace as large as C-130's because weaponized lasers are chemical lasers, in order to get enough energy into the beam to actually damage something.

even C-130's have an estimated total beam run time of little over 30 seconds before chemical storage is empty.

running a laser off a battery and trying to be combatively effective with it, would require energy storage and throughput in each laser rifle to rival that of entire countries. in other words, shoot it in the right place, and you have a massive, uncontrolled release of energy(called an explosion). and you'd be holding that release of energy in your hands. 

1. Again, you are right, but you are drastically overestimating the problem.  Current military grade lasers have a rough effective range of around 80 miles (as far as I know).  Warframe typically deals with spaces up to 100 meters (a rough approximation).  And there already is a way to get around atmospheric distortion (to a limited extent, obviously) by distorting the laser itself in anticipation of atmospheric effects (http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-DEW-HEL-Analysis.html#mozTocId937936) (adaptive mirrors section).  Declaring laser weapons unusable within 100 meter distances (especially in a sci-fi setting) is like declaring bullet weapons unusable within 5 feet due to bullet drop caused by the Earth's gravity.  The only time I could see lasers being seriously impacted at those ranges would be when used in an extremely foggy swamp. 

2. Yes, currently gas chemical lasers are currently the normal types used for military purposes.  However, large-scale lasers are still mostly in their research phase, and there are already developments occurring with solid state and liquid powered lasers (which should enable vastly reduced weight and size).  The release of energy would be a problem, but Warframe already side-steps that quite nicely through the description of Fieldrons: "weaponized containment field to contain superheated substances".  If those are capable of safely storing and superheating plasma (which they would need to be, since several Corpus use plasma weapons), then storing the excess heat from a laser should be equally possible. 

But we're not talking about lasers behaving like plasma.

Lasers do fall off in effectiveness with range. Your objection about no atmosphere doesn't apply considering there is atmosphere in the environments the weapons use.

Sure, you can imagine some advanced future technology that makes it work like you want if you would like. That's not a law of physics, however. It's just what you apparently would like to see.

Please see my above points for rebuttal.  Also, I am not basing my posts around revolutionary new pieces of knowledge and technology, with the exception of miniaturization and energy handling.  Everything else is dependent on things we can already do.  You are free to criticize my hand-waving of those two issues, but those also happen to be the same problems plasma-based weapons would need to overcome. 

(Also, I say that the current laser weapons act like plasma because, while they visually resemble traditional lasers, they act mechanically like a sort of plasma flamethrower.  Plasma is continuously ejected out the end of the gun (presumably contained by some electro-magnetic field), projected outwards in a line for a certain distance, and then folded back and returned to the gun, where it presumably starts the cycle anew after being (near) instantly reheated.) 

blocks of text... :D

But ,.. they need to rename them from lazers.

Fixed range and travel time is not a laser.

Fixed range doesnt even make sense for palsma... even if  soem "epic" containment fails, it would spread out and work like a shotgun - still moving forward.

Call it magical particle emitter - particles that decay suddenly after xx sec and vanish ( 20-30).

There is no need to make it perfectly precise to satisfy a few physics "enthusiasts."

Not even all physics enthusiasts want it to be theoretically realistic. I'm perfectly happy with gamist weapons mechanics.

Agreed. If we were going to hold the devs to known laws of physics almost nothing in this game could happen, and no amount of "but it's advanced!" would change that.

Fixed range doesnt even make sense for plasma... even if  soem "epic" containment fails, it would spread out and work like a shotgun - still moving forward.

Not really. Without some form of migi-tech containment to focus it plasma isn't very dangerous. Plasma diffuses very quickly.

to those who gave more detailed bullet speeds i say thanks since i had serious trouble finding those speeds out on the web but it still doesnt change the fact that they are significantly slower then light, which is what lasers are made of, making the travel time of laser weaponry in the game kinda stupid.

As for the argument about making the laser distort to correct the diffraction that would only work for a fixed range and since you sometimes use your weapon on an enemy at 5m from you and other times at 20 m or 40m that wouldnt work

Edited by MurasameFsey

1. Again, you are right, but you are drastically overestimating the problem.  Current military grade lasers have a rough effective range of around 80 miles (as far as I know).  Warframe typically deals with spaces up to 100 meters (a rough approximation). 

2. Yes, currently gas chemical lasers are currently the normal types used for military purposes.  However, large-scale lasers are still mostly in their research phase, and there are already developments occurring with solid state and liquid powered lasers (which should enable vastly reduced weight and size).  The release of energy would be a problem, but Warframe already side-steps that quite nicely through the description of Fieldrons: "weaponized containment field to contain superheated substances".  If those are capable of safely storing and superheating plasma (which they would need to be, since several Corpus use plasma weapons), then storing the excess heat from a laser should be equally possible. 

- you debunk your first statement in admitting that just about every tactical laser currently usable is chemical. which is not a laser type that will ever be portable, unless we come up with some wormhole devices to store materials in a different dimension(which we'd then become the ultimate defilers of the universe, filling regions of space with junk so it's not in our own way).

i am overestimating the issue, but even current tactical lasers are intending to heat up missiles until they scuttle themselves, not actually burning holes through them within a few milliseconds. for a laser to be THAT powerful, i think we're in a new ballpark for energy output.

- yes, we can suppose that far more compact choices for lasers will be possible in the future. but as i first mentioned, (or was it another thread on the same topic) the energy output required to make a laser that powerful would likely be extremely high, so if a portable device could power that beam at all, it could be plausible that the laser would become ineffective in weaponry means somewhat quickly(as with Fluxs' slim beam size, and cutoff range, possibly due to the laser just losing too much cohesion at that distance and becoming useless).

to those who gave more detailed bullet speeds i say thanks since i had serious trouble finding those speeds out on the web but it still doesnt change the fact that they are significantly slower then light, which is what lasers are made of, making the travel time of laser weaponry in the game kinda stupid.

Flux is the only weapon that we can truly say has a high chance of being a Laser weapon(esp it's description) - and even then, there are reasonable explanations that it could also be a Plasma weapon, like all of the rest of Corpus' weapons. because the Corpus really like using Plasma. due to the almost identical firing systems of Dera, Supra, and Lanka, they all probably work off of the same principles, Lanka simply firing a larger projectile harder, Supra repeating larger projectiles with it's 3 barrels, and Dera being super compact firing average projectiles with it's 2 barrels.

also, ballistic velocities can easily be found, the Wiki pages for different rounds are pretty accurate.

Edited by taiiat

- you debunk your first statement in admitting that just about every tactical laser currently usable is chemical. which is not a laser type that will ever be portable, unless we come up with some wormhole devices to store materials in a different dimension(which we'd then become the ultimate defilers of the universe, filling regions of space with junk so it's not in our own way).

i am overestimating the issue, but even current tactical lasers are intending to heat up missiles until they scuttle themselves, not actually burning holes through them within a few milliseconds. for a laser to be THAT powerful, i think we're in a new ballpark for energy output.

- yes, we can suppose that far more compact choices for lasers will be possible in the future. but as i first mentioned, (or was it another thread on the same topic) the energy output required to make a laser that powerful would likely be extremely high, so if a portable device could power that beam at all, it could be plausible that the laser would become ineffective in weaponry means somewhat quickly(as with Fluxs' slim beam size, and cutoff range, possibly due to the laser just losing too much cohesion at that distance and becoming useless).

Flux is the only weapon that we can truly say has a high chance of being a Laser weapon(esp it's description) - and even then, there are reasonable explanations that it could also be a Plasma weapon, like all of the rest of Corpus' weapons. because the Corpus really like using Plasma. due to the almost identical firing systems of Dera, Supra, and Lanka, they all probably work off of the same principles, Lanka simply firing a larger projectile harder, Supra repeating larger projectiles with it's 3 barrels, and Dera being super compact firing average projectiles with it's 2 barrels.

also, ballistic velocities can easily be found, the Wiki pages for different rounds are pretty accurate.

I agree in the matter of plasma but since the thread was about laser ones i just mentioned those. as for ballistic velocities being on wiki, that requires knowledge on such rounds which i do not possess

The fact that most current lasers are gas powered doesn't invalidate future portable lasers in any possible way.  I've even shown you that we are already creating powerful non-gas powered lasers.  Not to mention the fact that wormhole devices DO exist in Warframe, and are used to store massive space stations.  Another thing: plasma by default is a gas (before ionization).  So any possible plasma weapon is probably going to deal with even worse portability than lasers. 

Firstly, current lasers are more than capable of burning through metals within seconds.  According to this guy's math, a 1 megawatt laser can burn through 1 millimeter of graphite (one of the most laser-resistant materials known to man) per second at a range of 100 kilometers.  http://www.rocketpunk-manifesto.com/2009/08/space-warfare-v-laser-weapons.html  Considering that the US recently demonstrated a working laser with a power of 500 terawatts, I'd say one megawatt is being extremely conservative for a sci-fi universe.  http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/worlds-most-powerful-laser-shot-ever-fired-886701

Energy would be a problem (assuming the beam isn't powerful enough to create fusion, since a laser that powerful would most definitely sacrifice portability).  But you are completely ignoring that the same problems of portability and energy storage also mean that plasma weapons would be impossible with that same level of technology.  In fact, super-powered lasers are theoretically used in order to power weaponized plasma. 

As far as I can tell, you are somewhat misinformed about lasers.  I've given you more than enough evidence to prove my point: portable laser weapons are not only possible, but relatively easy to create compared to many of the other things featured in Warframe.  Lasers do not rapidly lose cohesion except under the most adverse of circumstances, and even this requires kilometers of distance to impact functionality.  Even then, energy loss is constant, not sudden (as with the Flux and Spectra).