Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon classification: "Power Weapons"

Kingsmount

I think there's a weapon type that's missing from the game.    I think "Power" weapons would greatly benefit the game.  What do I mean by "Power weapons"?  Well I'll go straight to examples:

Example power weapons:

Pyroclasm:  While in use, the frames hands are on fire,  they throw fire as their M1 projectiles.   Alt Fire is a larger explosive fireball.

Glaciazor:  While in use, the frames hands have a cold cloud about them.  They have a freezing ray as their M1.  Alt fire is a large cone of freezing hail.

Electrapture:  While in use, the frames hands crackle with electricity.  They release charged bursts of chain lightning on M1.  Alt fire is a cylindrical localized thunderbolt.

Virapoxal:  While in use, the frames hand drip with a viral acid.  They release a conical cloud puff of toxic pathogens on M1.  Alt fire is a pandemic cloud of toxins that have an aura around all effected enemies, spreading to new enemies that get in range of them.

Why? Well for one, it's thematic and a type of "weapon" we don't have.  For two, this would allow players who like to focus on more "Ability" or "Caster" themes to be able to utilize weapons without intruding on their flow or desired flavor, using ability themed weapons.

Bonus: They could be BOTH Primary AND Secondary.  You equip one in your primary, and you can equip another in your secondary.  Doing so changes the element to radiation/corrosive/viral/magnetic,  using the projectiles and effects of the primary and doubling the ammo.  (to be clear: They merge and act as one weapon).

So, Thrown weapons or Staticor-style weapons with an arbitrarily cool design evocative of magic casting.

EDIT:

Pyroclasim is basically just a fire-element Staticor.

Glaciazor is a Gammacor with Ice element beam primary and an AOE spray secondary.

Electrapture sounds like Amprex with a different design, though I'll admit its alt-fire sounds unique unless it just becomes a sort of grenade projectile.

Viraproxal is Embolist with primary fire and a chaining Ogris with Adhesive mod on its secondary. With a dash of Saryn's first ability for flavor.

I mean, I'll admit these would look cool, but honestly they just feel like they arbitrarily cross lines between game mechanics (Primary weapon, Secondary weapon, Warframe ability, etc) for the sole sake of being contrarian and looking cool doing it.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing more Arm Cannon or Staticor-type weapons or skins with elemental themes evocative of casting magic, but honestly I don't see the point of making them take more weapon slots or trying to infringe upon the territory of Warframe abilities, particularly when there are Frames that can believably rely primarily on cast abilities for combat with a little Energy Efficiency building. It's not bad, it just feels like it stopped being thought through entirely at trying to be "cool".

Edited by Cobalt313

23 minutes ago, Cobalt313 said:

Pyroclasim is basically just a fire-element Staticor.

Glaciazor is a Gammacor with Ice element beam primary and an AOE spray secondary.

Electrapture sounds like Amprex with a different design, though I'll admit its alt-fire sounds unique unless it just becomes a sort of grenade projectile.

Viraproxal is Embolist with primary fire and a chaining Ogris with Adhesive mod on its secondary. With a dash of Saryn's first ability for flavor.

I mean, I'll admit these would look cool, but honestly they just feel like they arbitrarily cross lines between game mechanics (Primary weapon, Secondary weapon, Warframe ability, etc) for the sole sake of being contrarian and looking cool doing it.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing more Arm Cannon or Staticor-type weapons or skins with elemental themes evocative of casting magic, but honestly I don't see the point of making them take more weapon slots or trying to infringe upon the territory of Warframe abilities, particularly when there are Frames that can believably rely primarily on cast abilities for combat with a little Energy Efficiency building. It's not bad, it just feels like it stopped being thought through entirely at trying to be "cool".

Not at all.

Only superficially in that its a beam.

Only superficially in that its electric.  It's more like a Bow,  but electricity and without an arc but a finite range.

And another no, only superficially in that its a cloud.  The point here is actually a slow firing wide burst, perhaps more in line with the Corinth alt fire but in a cone shape right in front of the frame, very short range (Though the cloud might linger and slowly move forward to compensate).

And then the secondary fires further provide a lot more room for intrigue.

Your arguments are similar to saying we shouldn't have gotten Gauss because Volt is already fast, which I needn't say is highly reductive and not true.

Just now, Kingsmount said:

Not at all.

Only superficially in that its a beam.

Only superficially in that its electric.  It's more like a Bow,  but electricity and without an arc but a finite range.

And another no, only superficially in that its a cloud.  The point here is actually a slow firing wide burst, perhaps more in line with the Corinth alt fire but in a cone shape right in front of the frame, very short range (Though the cloud might linger and slowly move forward to compensate).

And then the secondary fires further provide a lot more room for intrigue.

Your arguments are similar to saying we shouldn't have gotten Gauss because Volt is already fast, which I needn't say is highly reductive and not true.

I was more pointing out that there was enough precedent to make something this possible with normal in-game weapon classifications, types, and mechanics without having to go completely novel and make an entirely new weapon category that occupies both primary and secondary slot etc.  I did express an interest in seeing more "hand-cast" type weapons from the beginning, if you may recall, as I still appreciated the aesthetic while expressing reluctance to deviate arbitrarily from current game mechanics.

Basically my argument was less "We don't need Gauss, we already have a fast Frame" and more "Why bother going through the trouble making this gear item and whole new mechanic to let Volt turn into 'Gauss Mode' with all-new abilities, when one could just simply let 'Gauss' be its own regular standalone Warframe without needing to introduce anything more complicated than that passive speed gauge you mentioned?"

Weapons with alt-fires have precedent. Animations and mechanics for weapons skinned like they're being thrown or cast from your hands has precedent. Elemental weapons have precedent. Why not combine all these together to make something like what you want without needing to defy convention for no good reason?

10 hours ago, Cobalt313 said:

I was more pointing out that there was enough precedent to make something this possible with normal in-game weapon classifications, types, and mechanics without having to go completely novel and make an entirely new weapon category that occupies both primary and secondary slot etc.  I did express an interest in seeing more "hand-cast" type weapons from the beginning, if you may recall, as I still appreciated the aesthetic while expressing reluctance to deviate arbitrarily from current game mechanics.

Basically my argument was less "We don't need Gauss, we already have a fast Frame" and more "Why bother going through the trouble making this gear item and whole new mechanic to let Volt turn into 'Gauss Mode' with all-new abilities, when one could just simply let 'Gauss' be its own regular standalone Warframe without needing to introduce anything more complicated than that passive speed gauge you mentioned?"

Weapons with alt-fires have precedent. Animations and mechanics for weapons skinned like they're being thrown or cast from your hands has precedent. Elemental weapons have precedent. Why not combine all these together to make something like what you want without needing to defy convention for no good reason?

I see.  Yeah you expressed interest but it came across as dismissive, like said gauss-volt situation.  Or some people who were legitimately saying that Odalisk sounds dumb because Mirage and Vauban exist.

And I'm still confused now,  you still sound dismissive while sounding like you're saying you're not being dismissive.  You sound like you're both agreeing and disagreeing.  It still sounds like you're making the Gauss-Odalisk argument. 

That all sounds like reasons for why this should exist.  And of course it should exist, it'd clearly distinct and an unused niche.  The only reason not to,  is dev time.  But maybe devs should be adding something like this instead of that pointless UI rework that has Reddit in an uproar. 

As a player that plays Warframe for the abilities and is always drawn more towards caster themes,  a set of Power weapons would fix a huge problem I have with warframe in that damage Abilities are overwhelmingly useless more often than not and the game pushes hard in the direction of weapons.   So making ability-flavored weapons,  a standard in any ability/magic/powers games (Such as caster classes in a game where you select a caster).   Mechanically it's a weapon.  Visually it looks like your frame is doing something themselves instead of relying on an external tool.

It would do a whole lot in fixing my discontent with the reliance on weapons, while not actually even doing anything different- Just a new type of weapon.

Edited by Kingsmount