Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Returning Player: What Happened to Melee?

(XBOX)WP ScorpionWind

Question

OK so I am coming back to the game after taking a extended leave of absence as a result of burning myself out. Now prior to my leaving there was this whole melee 3.0 that was in the works and a lot of people were worried that it was going to kill the game for melee users, I being one of them. Prior to my leave melee build made my umbra (IE in combination with it's modding) nearly unstoppable and made me unmatched (at least never was in all the time I played it) in how long one could last in kuva survival. Now I went over to the warframe builder to see if my loadout still showed the same numbers and suffice it to say that it most certainly does not. So I am just wondering if someone could fill me in a bit to tell me what has all be done with what I'm guessing was the introduction of melee 3.0, whether it did in fact result in nerfing melee, are melee builds still viable, etc. etc. I have been looking around online, but between the amount there is to sort through as a result of being gone, not even sure where to start looking, and just a bunch of conflicting info thus far I am hoping someone can just help me  out here and make it 10x easier than spending the next 2-3 hours digging.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Upon request here is the Dual Keres build I was using. In combination with the setup of my umbra I was sustaining around ~132k with a bad riven and had I gotten the target god roll could have reached as high as 290k+. The finished product between the frame and melee builds was I had a high health and mild energy which was pretty much refilling 24/7 so as a result I would consistently produced a set amount of damage, and could heal myself whenever I needed to. This as I said effectively resulted in me being able to be in kuva survival longer than anyone I had ever played with.

Edited by (XB1)WP ScorpionWind

18 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, (XB1)WP ScorpionWind said:

OK so I am coming back to the game after taking a extended leave of absence as a result of burning myself out. Now prior to my leaving there was this whole melee 3.0 that was in the works and a lot of people were worried that it was going to kill the game for melee users which made my umbra (in combination with it's modding) nearly unstoppable and made me unmatched (at least never was in all the time I played it) in how long one could last in kuva survival. Now I went over to the warframe builder to see if my loadout still showed the same numbers and suffice it to say that it most certainly does not. So I am just wondering if someone could fill me in a bit to tell me what has all be done with what I'm guessing was the introduction of melee 3.0, whether it did in fact result in nerfing melee, are melee builds still viable, etc. etc.

Thanks in advance.

Melee is amazing, I can do damage now that I didn't even dream of before and I don't have to faff around with pausing or timing to do the "right" attack, but there are things to pay attention to:

• Firstly, melee combo counter only applies to heavy attacks now, and that spends combo counter
  • Secondly Crit modifier have been really really buffed, especially on heavy attacks.
  • Thirdly, anything that was previously "on channeling" is now "on heavy attack" which makes life strike even better as it doesn't drain energy at all.
  • Finally Heavy attack builds are easy and good, combo builds with blood rush are also good, some hybrid builds are possible.

All sorts of weapons are amazing now. anything with a forces slash proc on heavy attack is... well... godly.

Edited by SilentMobius

Not melee 3.0, but melee 2.99999999, we are still missing *some* features. Short version, combo counter doesn't increase basic melee damage anymore and caps out at 12x, is consumed(completely unless using mods) when doing a heavy attack but it boosts the damage.

All melee weapons got a base damage buff to try and compensate for the reduction in combo mult damage. Also Crit Chance mods have been significantly buffed(Formerly providing 60%, now providing 120% or more depending on mod).

Melee is still very much viable, as blocking now is 100% DR. Damage output is still strong(at least for up to sortie content, just grab a Blood Rush and you're good.) Downside is currently the Exalted melee weapons(Excal's Exalted blade, Valkyr's Talons, Baruuk's Fists, Wukong's Staff) feel...underwhelming and are out performed by basic melee due to them having access to Blood Rush and other mods.

It was effectively a nerf to melee, yes. It's not longer the beast scaling monster that it was, which I mean...it scaled *infinitely*. That had to be nerfed. I find it suitable for the level of, presumed intended content, which is from 0-150 level enemies. In that range...I barely had to adjust my builds. At most I put "Sacrificial Steel" on most weapons now due to the insane 225%? crit chance it provides, combine with a blood rush and some crit damage boosting mods and....yeah, you're set.

Condition overload was one of the primary things that got hit with the ole nerf bat, as it had exponential growth. Now it's a flat...what, 120%? per status? And that stacks additively now. Starting with 120% per one, 240% for two, ect ect. As such it's...been out shined by crit, IMO. If the melee has high CC/CD just build it for that, toss on a Shattering Impact if armor bothers you(or use guns to strip armor).

Animation wise, enjoy Stances all be turned into mash one button to spam spinning or AoE attacks as much as possible.
that's the entirety of Melee now. Melee doesn't do anything else. :)

Stats wise is already covererd here.... well enough, i don't feel like the written mistakes are enough of a problem that they'll lead you in the wrong direction. probably.

13 minutes ago, AlphaPHENIX said:

We went from Slide Attacks being META to Char- Eh?

Slide Attacks are still the best tool to be used 90% of the time. covers a wider area and most Enemies have no Health anyways.
unless a Stance sequence also does the same thing but with free Multipliers. those are good ofcourse, since you get to beyblade with some bonuses.

Edited by taiiat

@Hixlysss Wow, so combo multiplier will defiantly be a factor in my build then. I also see that Blood Rush got massively boned, and channeling is now all but gone, which makes my life strike immortality none existent. My build use to be this Dual Keres and with the riven I had at the time was hitting for ~132k at the time, and I was able to life link when I wanted to thanks to my frame setup constantly replenishing my energy. But it sounds like I'm going to be having to do some serious overhaul here.

If you still prefer dual swords you might wanna try out Nami Skyla Prime with Swirling Tiger using Viral+heat. Better status chance to optimize condition overload, and faster attack speed to spam swirling tiger's forced bleed stationary combo, allowing you to halve hp and bleed the rest very quickly.

The thing about your old build is... it was Everyone's old build. Give or take electric for corrosive. You took that combination, and slapped it only weapons until one was ideal for it. Tada. Build diversity wasn't there, so it needed to be shook up. Some of the old meta turned crap, but a Lot of other melees that we would have Never Ever considered functional whatsoever, now excel in different ways.

Nanchakus are way more fun now. They're not busted powerful, but they're functional enough to actually use. Many melees can now do that. 8/10, good update imo.

@Fleuretty I do still have a thing for dual wielding, and I'm only missing the blades for that, so I may have to give it a shot.
@kapn655321 I don't know what everyone one else used and truth be told I have never really been one to care. I just researched for what were good weapon and then messed around on the warframe builder trying to come up with the best result, as well as getting some advice from my clan mates.

Noob with Volt at MR4 here. Melee slam attacks literally give me life (except on Jupiter tiles, way to many explosive pipes around). R30 Orthos with electro+explosive+critical mult+range+attack speed slashes almost through anything:

• Enemies sorrounded a cryopod? SLAM
  • See a capture target? Zaappp and SLAM
  • Survival run? You get a SLAM, and you get a SLAM, everybody gets a SLAM
  • Multiple Ancients? SLAM
  • Ospeys? SLAM
  • Moas? SLAM
  • Fissures? SLAM SLAM SLAM SLAM
  • Junction specters? SLAM SLAM SLAM SLAM SLAM SLAM SLAM

feelsgoodman

Edited by Hayrack
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, (XB1)WP ScorpionWind said:

I just researched for what were good weapon and then messed around on the warframe builder trying to come up with the best result

When it was that easy to have the best of the best... then those players would get bored of not being challenged.
They'd want content that kept pace with best of the best.. which totally threw hundreds of other options in the dumpster as a result.
So, big ol' rebalance. The combo you had should still be savage compared to most things, just not compared to what it was.

16 hours ago, (XB1)WP ScorpionWind said:

@Hixlysss Wow, so combo multiplier will defiantly be a factor in my build then. I also see that Blood Rush got massively boned, and channeling is now all but gone, which makes my life strike immortality none existent. My build use to be this Dual Keres and with the riven I had at the time was hitting for ~132k at the time, and I was able to life link when I wanted to thanks to my frame setup constantly replenishing my energy. But it sounds like I'm going to be having to do some serious overhaul here.

Life strike now works for heavy attacks. So it still 'works' in a sense. But combo mult only really affects blood rush and heavy attacks. Heavy attacks consume *all* combo mult on use so...in general it's not very great. The general build is to just use blood rush, build combo, and never use heavy attacks(Which is hard as heavy attacks can happen when you just hold down the melee button...)

I'm not focused on numbers, rather the feel of melee. People who obsess over the numbers are going to be angry with the changes. But the feel is much the same. Melee feels just as potent as before, and in some cases much more powerful. As I mentioned, the exalted warframe weapons feel much weaker than before, specially when compared to standard melee weapons.

You shouldn't need to do much of a overhaul honestly, just drop pressure point and some other mod for sacrificial pressure and steel. And condition overload is...meh, not worth using unless you have A LOT of base status.

@Hixlysss Well after some screwing around on warframe builder, it looks like I could, with a 12x combo multiplier (which really isn't hard where it matters), as high as 171k sustained, with my current riven which is a so so role for a crit build. So not as high as the 290k from before the change but So I would say that this will work out just fine, and even more so when I get that perfect riven roll.