Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Spoilers] Do NPCs Recognize the Player / Who IS the Player?

Tortolonch

Considering everyone is changing their equipped Warframe all the time, and there are countless Tenno, how is someone like Konzu or Darvo expected to remember you when they interact with so many Tenno all the time during their general gameplay interactions with players? It sure would explain why they only refer to you as "Tenno", instead of with a given name. Most of these people probably figure that Warframes are either suits of armor, whose wearers are completely silent in their dealings with outsiders, or that every Warframe is a separate individual, not realizing the same Excalibur they dealt with 5 minutes ago is the same individual as the Ivara Prime that came back for another mission.
I say "general gameplay interactions", because I believe that during quests, we as players are following the story of one specific Tenno that's actually significant to the plot of that quest. It doesn't even have to be the same Tenno for all the quests either, although in some cases it is/could be.

Examples (Spoilers ahead):
  • The Main Questline: Stolen Dreams, The New Strange, Natah, Second Dream, War Within, Apostasy Prologue, The Sacrifice, and Chimera Prologue are all clearly the story of one Tenno.
  • Vor's Prize is the tale of the First Awoken from cryosleep. While possible, not necessarily the same Tenno from the Main Questline
  • Once Awake deals with the Tenno that uncovered the Grineer's revival of the Infestation.
  • Saya's Vigil and Vox Solaris both introduce the factions for their respective regions and can be completely independent of all other quests, giving the story of the first Tenno to begin relations with those communities.
  • Similarly, quests related to a specific Warframe (Limbo Theorem, Hidden Messages, Mask of the Revanant, Sands of Inaros, etc) tell the story of the Tenno that (re)discovered the relevant Warframe, then likely duplicated the blueprints and sold them to the rest of the Tenno (hence why they cost credits to build).
  • Operations: For the most part, these seem to involve the Tenno collectively, so there's no specific key individual.

So who is the player? Are they a regular Tenno, that during quests experiences the missions of various notable Tenno from the current era? Or are they the First Awoken Tenno, a legendary warrior and key player in every notable event in recent history?

I'd appreciate any feedback on this theory, as I'm sure there are plenty others more well-versed in the lore of the game.
I've crossposted this onto the Warframe subreddit as well.
  • Like 1

The most logical explanation: After the Second Dream Tenno's secret was revelad. We see operators roaming around Furtuna/Cetus. So we are just another tenno that have to go through the quest chain like every other tenno.  How is this possible? I think Duviri Paradox might explain that. 

Edited by NoLazyShadow

6 minutes ago, Orabell said:

My Opinion: The Player Tenno is the "main" character of all stories. Every other Tenno we see is "just another one" the same way we are just another one 

Hide contents

in the Erra story line beside the others not even center

You're right, I'd forgotten that in some instances, it's a group of notable Tenno, not just one singular. Another such example would be the squads from Rathuum.

2 minutes ago, NoLazyShadow said:

The most logical explanation: After the Second Dream Tenno's secret was revelad. We see operators roaming around Furtuna/Cetus. So we are just another tenno that have to go through the quest chain like every other tenno.  How is this possible? I think Duviri Paradox might explain that. 

I'm wondering if Duviri Paradox will be us literally playing as the Tenno from the trailer, not just us meeting said unknown Tenno, in the same way (Spoilers) 

Spoiler

We experience the the story of Umbra in The Sacrifice

Narrative convenience. Thats it.

See no reason its deeper than that and different from any other game.

So how is possible to have so many million cephalon ordis or cy at the same time? lol

Because they're not physical beings and are essentially AI.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

8 minutes ago, Fallen77 said:

Ludo narrativ dissonance, it's a game. It'd be annoying to have konzu go "wait, who are you again ?" everytime I switch frame.

Now, if you wanna make crazy lore theories, I won't stop you ^^

As you say, it's ludonarrative dissonance, but that's what I'm asking: are we following the narrative of one Tenno, or multiple Tenno?

il y a 20 minutes, Tortolonch a dit :

As you say, it's ludonarrative dissonance, but that's what I'm asking: are we following the narrative of one Tenno, or multiple Tenno?

Allright, I wanted to avoid that rabbit hole, I usually leave the forum past this hour... F^CK IT !!!

Yes AND Yes !

You play as the one hero, the one tenno that kills the queens, that frees umbra, EVERYTHING.

AND, everyone plays that same singular chosen one hero that does all the dirty work, but it's their very own tenno at the helm for each.

My biggest clue : Onko's dialogue, something about "Tenno exiting central nexus", and all his parallel universe rethoric. The way I see it, it explains why we are constantly playing with other tenno that lived the same events :

We all live inside our very own parallel universe, but when we start a public mission, the universes sorta merge for the duration of the mission. Same thing with relays and OW HUBs. You could say that the universes merge where there is the most void activity or whatever, the exact science ain't important.

And Onko, being linked to the Unum and all that jazz, it could be a viable theory that he is well aware of all that. I like to think that he's playing pre-recorded sentences, because this way, he's not screwing with the continuum of things, maintaining some stability inside his cave.

So, Konzu and other NPC, not being attuned to that kind of "energy", only see themselves talking to a single Tenno that represents us. There is only one "Number one gun", you. Well... me, and all the others, but you get the idea, it can get confusing real quick ^^.

Don't get me wrong, there could very well be other Warframe wielding Tenno around in lore, as iirc "our friends" (something like that) are mentionned by npc sometimes. I think of them more as "background lore tenno", but all player Tenno abide by my theory. And considering (IIRC) that not a single quest ever aknowledges other tenno, that they're all Solo-centric (as far as I'm concerned), it fits right in.

And it also helps with the fact that we are not really a ragtag band of space mercenaries on the run, more of an immensly big, system-wide army (and now, armada). Makes more sense if we're actually just pretty much alone in our own universe, joining other dimensions for the span of a mission.

That theory is not perfect for sure, there may very well be many ways to deconstruct it, but I like it ok !

And at this point, WF's lore is so special and vague, pretty much anything goes, and pretty much nothing sticks all the way.

There you go, hope you enjoyed the read, seeya tomorrow when I'll actually read the rest of the thread ! (And I'm sure everyone will have a way better theory)

And of course, what's YOUR theory ?

I’m assuming that since the Tenno are, largely, psychically tuned using the transference system That each one produces their own psychic resonance that is distinct and unique, akin to fingerprints, that they are then able to broadcast in a sense to other persons they come into contact with if they need to do so.

Example Possibly they “broadcast” a visual representation of themselves to the person they are dealing with.  This could further explain why certain NPC’s, such as little duck and the quills, will only deal with the operator in operator form.  Perhaps the attempt to project this psychic vision upon these other psychically attuned persons causes them pain or discomfort.

Realistically you can tailor any number of theories to work as to explain why.

It's all a feverish memory of the past. The sentients both will and have overrun the system long ago, and the Tenno driven into sleeping in the void again. The Third Dream, so to speak. 

We remember the tenno we ran missions with; we remember the warframes we controlled; we remember enemies we fought. We, of course, are the protagonists in our dream. Konzo remembers us because we're the main character. It's a dream, though, which is why everything is out of order and disjoint and strange, and why we cycle back to the same events over and over again. 

(note: this is completely offhand and made up; I do not pay much attention to any game lore in Warframe)

Edited by Ham_Grenabe
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tortolonch said:
Considering everyone is changing their equipped Warframe all the time, and there are countless Tenno, how is someone like Konzu or Darvo expected to remember you when they interact with so many Tenno all the time during their general gameplay interactions with players? It sure would explain why they only refer to you as "Tenno", instead of with a given name. Most of these people probably figure that Warframes are either suits of armor, whose wearers are completely silent in their dealings with outsiders, or that every Warframe is a separate individual, not realizing the same Excalibur they dealt with 5 minutes ago is the same individual as the Ivara Prime that came back for another mission.
I say "general gameplay interactions", because I believe that during quests, we as players are following the story of one specific Tenno that's actually significant to the plot of that quest. It doesn't even have to be the same Tenno for all the quests either, although in some cases it is/could be.

Examples (Spoilers ahead):
  • The Main Questline: Stolen Dreams, The New Strange, Natah, Second Dream, War Within, Apostasy Prologue, The Sacrifice, and Chimera Prologue are all clearly the story of one Tenno.
  • Vor's Prize is the tale of the First Awoken from cryosleep. While possible, not necessarily the same Tenno from the Main Questline
  • Once Awake deals with the Tenno that uncovered the Grineer's revival of the Infestation.
  • Saya's Vigil and Vox Solaris both introduce the factions for their respective regions and can be completely independent of all other quests, giving the story of the first Tenno to begin relations with those communities.
  • Similarly, quests related to a specific Warframe (Limbo Theorem, Hidden Messages, Mask of the Revanant, Sands of Inaros, etc) tell the story of the Tenno that (re)discovered the relevant Warframe, then likely duplicated the blueprints and sold them to the rest of the Tenno (hence why they cost credits to build).
  • Operations: For the most part, these seem to involve the Tenno collectively, so there's no specific key individual.

So who is the player? Are they a regular Tenno, that during quests experiences the missions of various notable Tenno from the current era? Or are they the First Awoken Tenno, a legendary warrior and key player in every notable event in recent history?

I'd appreciate any feedback on this theory, as I'm sure there are plenty others more well-versed in the lore of the game.
I've crossposted this onto the Warframe subreddit as well.

I really like the theory of representing different Tenno during different interactions, for me it really fits Warframe narrative, usually so ominous, with many barely touched mentions of certain thimgs/technoligies/whatever.

I always find it... lazy in e.g. MMOs where despite more powerful people roaming all around you, in quests You are The All-Mighty One saving the world, and in Warframe I mever had such a problem, and as I said, your interpretation of stories told just works for me 🙂

I don't know about any of you guys, but I know my Tenno is the only Tenno to actually have completed these quests. 

All of you guys are just random Tenno without a story.  Sorry 🙂

Baro still treats players in nonprime warframes (with exception of inaros) as inferior.  He obviously knows the Tenno wear different warframes (everyone knows this with operators popping out of bodies everywhere), but he cannot tell one Tenno from the other.  

Baro may be the expection, most interactions with people likely think each Warframe is an individual.  

In addition to what @Orabell, there are two things to remember about the lore:

1. There are far fewer Tenno than there are players, simply because life is smaller than digital entertainment. There are nearly 20 million accounts, and while it's feasible that was the total population of Zariman 10-0 (it was a generation ship) there were a lot fewer survivors than that.

Ergo, Konzu doesn't need to keep track of 20 million Tenno, he only has to deal with like 200

2. There are other Tenno in the story, but canonically you are the most important. You are the only Tenno with Ordis, you were the first witness to the reawakening of the Infested, you fought Chroma in New Strange, you were the first Z-kid to awake from the Reservoir, and you defeated the Red Kween in War Within. And in my game, I did all of those things instead

Ergo, you really ARE Konzu's favorite Tenno

• Like 3

Probably in the games universe every tenno uses one frame that had been changed only once to the operators liking. Or something like that.

In trailers we usually use the vanilla frames so maybe the tenno doesn't even decorate their frames and it's just a game mechanic.

Tho wf is a sci fi game so we have probably some "digital fingerprint" or something.