Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we have a 'visible when holstered' option for certain exalted weapons?

ImWithDerp

Specifically exalted weapons which are currently always visible even when not in use, like Garuda's talons or Mesa's peacekeepers. Maybe Valkyr's talons (including the devices on her arms) too.

This would be real nice for when we're going for a sleek/elegant look with frames that have such weapons!

EDIT: These weapons would reappear either when equipped (like Garuda with no melee weapon or Valkyr's 4) or when used for abilities (Garuda's 4, Mesa's 4)

Edited by ImWithDerp

Valkyrie, Hildryn, Baruuk, and Excalibur have energy weapons that don't have a physical model, but if you look at Valkyrie, you'll see a device that creates claws. They will have to work very long with the wings for Titania to make her Dex Pixia and Divata visual in normal form, but Titania already magically reduces its size, so the appearance of physical weapons from the air is not such a problem. Therefore, only for Wukong here it makes sense. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, zhellon said:

Titania already magically reduces its size

Size scaling is one of the literal easiest things to do in the Warframe engine. It's how they differentiate the enemies, after all. Have you ever seen what happens to a Bombard or Heavy Gunner when you Stealth Attack them? They literally shrink back to the size of regular enemies because all they are is regular enemies with a 1.15x scale to their model. The reason they shrink is because all animations are done at 1.0x scale. So not only do enemies shrink, our Kubrows also grow if they're smaller than average, and you even see it on Warframes themselves to a certain degree (it's why Warframes are different heights, but canonically they're only very slightly different, Excal being the default at 6 foot tall, Equinox being the smallest at just over 5'10, and Limbo being the tallest at 6'7 with his hat, or Chroma at just under 6'4 with no hat... hard to imagine that I'm actually a bit taller than Chroma... and Rhino... Actually I'm taller than about 90% of the roster...).

Back when they were doing the Archwing => Sharkwing conversion to see if the bolted-on separate game mode could work in the main game, we had this problem a lot, because Archwing mode shrank every frame to 0.25x scale the same way that Titania does, meaning that there were so many bugs with people stuck at tiny size when they came out of Sharkwing. It was kind of hilarious ^^

Meanwhile, the arch-weapons that Titania gains are actually fixed to skeleton nodes on the actual Razorwing backpack, but the Razorwing visual skirt she has in normal mode is just that; a decoration, it's fixed to skeleton nodes on Ivara herself and doesn't have any real animation skeleton. So there's nothing to fix the weapons onto that wouldn't clip all to heck... unless you want to give the Diwata and Dex Pixia jiggle and sway physics like the skirt...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zhellon said:

Therefore, only for Wukong here it makes sense. 

Not even that, given it follows the same logic as Titania, that being size difference.

Wukong shrinks it down when it's not in use, there's nothing to hide.

I get the feeling however that you missed the point of the thread. They're not asking to see the weapons when they're holstered, they're specifically asking for the ability to hide the ones that are already visible.

10 hours ago, ImWithDerp said:

Specifically exalted weapons which are currently always visible even when not in use, like Garuda's talons or Mesa's peacekeepers

At this point I'm convinced that "exalted" has completely lost all meaning, mini rant:

Spoiler

First it was Excalibur's Sword, Excalibur literally being an exalted blade. Then come more moddable ability weapons, all coined "exalted" (I disagree with this, but at least it was consistent). Eventually it's then given to any moddable abilities (Peacemakers and on occasion Whipclaw/Atlas fists) which aren't actually a "weapon" in the traditional Warframe sense, and now it's used for weapons that aren't even ability based but exist entirely as a substitute weapon.

It's nothing special, it doesn't cost energy, it isn't affected by Warframe stats, it's a basic melee weapon that can equip basic melee weapon mods. How is it in any way "exalted"?

Frankly that makes it better than an "exalted" weapon, but my point remains.

That said, I can understand wanting to hide Garuda's, I'm sure it can be obstructive. Wanting to hide the others however seems unreasonable to me. I can't imagine they get in the way at all, and they're pretty thematic. When we start talking about pruning bits we dislike off a frame because they don't fit the theme we have in mind, where do we stop? There's got to be a point where it's "no, the frame was designed to look like this", so whilst I support the ability to hide potentially obstructive parts for genuine quality of life, I personally don't support wanting to hide bits for the sake of "sleekness" or "elegance".

• Like 1

4 часа назад, Birdframe_Prime сказал:
Size scaling is one of the literal easiest things to do in the Warframe engine. It's how they differentiate the enemies, after all.

I mean the style, not the programming methods. The warframe is made in a sci-fi style and many of the powers of warframes can be explained with some caveats, because they do not contradict physical laws so much. Titania is a big exception. I can certainly assume that since all warframes are infected, they can change their shapes and Titania uses this to shrink in size and turn the remaining mass into weapons. (which doesn't actually contradict physics and follows the concept of fairies) But, then Dex Pixia and Divata in normal form can't be accessed.

I know perfectly well that scalping is not a problem, because, its not Dex Pixia:

Спойлер

QHResDG.jpg

3 часа назад, DeMonkey сказал:

I get the feeling however that you missed the point of the thread. They're not asking to see the weapons when they're holstered, they're specifically asking for the ability to hide the ones that are already visible.

Well, I guess I really didn't get the point.

• Like 1