Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

On The Subject Of Hosting.

-Vondred-

Being curious, is there a way in general, for an application to quickly read ones upload speed?  Or multiple upload speeds?  I'm sure you know where I'm going with this.

If such a thing exist, I wouldn't mind seeing it implemented into warframes "Online" system.  This way it would check who has the best upload speed, and make them the host before mission starts.  

"Of course a threshold would exist for migration, meaning that if I had 5mb/s upload, and you had 15mb/s upload, it would migrate you to the host.  I'd say anything with a 10% threshold would cause a migration."

Qoute above is not exact, but feedback given from Cyrith about the subject.  Thank you.

Discuss!

Edited by Vondredd

Trouble is, it's not just about the hosts upload speed. It's about the latency on hosts vs server and host vs all clients, also the computational power of the host as managing objects in the game is CPU intensive, because they haven't coded some aspects of on screen object management very well at all.

Lastly there is the quality of the host, jitter/contention.

These factors make it difficult to determine who is and who isn't a good host....there's 2 things they should do.

1. Implement MP Servers, so the game can be hosted both ways, gradually build up the number of servers.

2. Allow a host/no host flag to be set in options. If you know your internets crap, you set a no host flag, if you know it's good, you set a host flag. This ones facepalmingly simple and should have been in the code from day 1

Edited by DaveC

2. Allow a host/no host flag to be set in options. If you know your internets crap, you set a no host flag, if you know it's good, you set a host flag. This ones facepalmingly simple and should have been in the code from day 1

I agree, this should have been high priority from the start.

I agree, this should have been high priority from the start.

Yes, so it really has to make you wonder how the game will ever be right, when the most obvious simple things still appear to elude them? They actually need a more disciplined approach to the management of the games development, rather than what appears to be an overly casual laissez-faire approach.

Yes, so it really has to make you wonder how the game will ever be right, when the most obvious simple things still appear to elude them? They actually need a more disciplined approach to the management of the games development, rather than what appears to be an overly casual laissez-faire approach.

Yeah they have let their standards slip of late and are leaving much to be desired, they really need to get on some of the bigger issues that are still around after months.

I am not bashing the devs or anything, they are doing their best and are still doing a great job compared to some companies that have had their name in the F2P market for a while now, but you can't help questioning some of their decisions and the new direction they seem to be taking the game.