Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is increased resource cost of our existing materials better than a new one for new content?

Well, seeing the 15k titanium cost that makes some problem in repairing wreckages and someone said DE should apply clever economy system, I wonder if using existing resources but with increased cost will be better than introducing new resources.

For example, instead of needing 15k titanium, it costs you common resources such as alloy plates, ferrite, salvage or whatever common resource we have. But, since we can get them in massive quantity, the cost is higher than 15k, probably 25k to 50k (as one of the long time player, I don't believe you if you say you don't have at least one material at 1m unless you take lots of breaks) to make some sink for the resources and less new resources to gather.

The negative point that I see from this is long time players will be more than ready to spend this while those that aren't too active will run out faster and need to resupply

So, is applying increased cost a better one to apply or it's better to introduce new materials where you only need to gather them for new content and has nothing with existing content?

They simply don't want players who have horded resources to auto complete future content. That's why its mostly new resources. Trying to purge resources from peoples banks with exorbitant prices like Hema or Sibear have not been liked.

Railjacks future is more than a single tier 1, 2, 3 planet. They expect players to be playing through tiers of content at a slower pace and priced equipment for those expectations and not its reality for the first few years. They have already boosted titanium drops a lot.

• Like 2

Are those the only two options? Some other options:

• Limited capacity to store resources.
  • Limited capacity to collect resources per mission.
  • Remove resources as a ubiquitous drop from enemies.
  • More ongoing resource sinks.
  • Don't worry about resource hoarding because it indicates that the player intends to stick around for future updates.

9 minutes ago, Firetempest said:

auto complete future content

I think part of the issue is seeing collectibles as content, rather than gameplay. So, even though players are not doing anything new to collect them, and even though the collectibles themselves may not change gameplay, adding new collectibles is seen as adding new content.

Edited by schilds

4 minutes ago, schilds said:
  • Limited capacity to store resources.
  • Limited capacity to collect resources per mission.

As a hoarder, I really don't like being limited on collecting or storing resources since that means you might have to leave some precious resources when you need them and do another mission just to get enough amount

5 minutes ago, schilds said:

Remove resources as a ubiquitous drop from enemies.

Resource canisters exist and you can get 3x compared to enemy drop, and they're everywhere where I netted 20 control modules from one Teshub run

6 minutes ago, schilds said:

More ongoing resource sinks

Examples? My idea is consumables for dumb fun such as land mines or breach charges

7 minutes ago, schilds said:

Don't worry about resource hoarding because it indicates that the player intends to stick around for future updates

I play missions just for the sake of blasting things and break all containers by instinct so I have lots without knowing

38 minutes ago, 844448 said:

So, is applying increased cost a better one to apply or it's better to introduce new materials where you only need to gather them for new content and has nothing with existing content?

No, no it is not. 

8 minutes ago, 844448 said:

As a hoarder, I really don't like being limited on collecting or storing resources since that means you might have to leave some precious resources when you need them and do another mission just to get enough amount

Sure, but the game would be balanced around the new limits.

Resource canisters exist and you can get 3x compared to enemy drop, and they're everywhere where I netted 20 control modules from one Teshub run

I should have said "remove as a ubiquitous drop from the mission", not just enemies. I know people like collecting resources passively, while they do other stuff, but it's part of what contributes to the meangingless of most resources. On the other hand, having to collect stuff explicitly (e.g. mining in poe/vallis) can lead to it feeling like a chore if it's not an activity a player enjoys or the activity is overused. 

Perhaps a solution might involve taking a "resource locator" gear item into a mission, that has the effect of creating a secondary, personal, mission objective for the player they need to complete. That way they can still collect resources they want while doing other things (that they hopeully enjoy), but scooping up massive amounts of every resource is no longer a passive side-effect.

Having said that, I think the dev's focus should be on what activities players will be doing (not what they are collecting) and whether a player who has already done those activities a thousand times really needs to be forced to do it again :-P.

Examples? My idea is consumables for dumb fun such as land mines or breach charges

Maybe stuff like that, but the question is: if players can achieve the same things with existing tools that don't consume resources, why would they use the ones that consume resources? Maybe the consumables could be part of a gameplay loop/system that is not separate from normal gameplay, but produces different outcomes that you can't produce with your normal equipment. Sounds like a complicated design challenge :D.

16 minutes ago, schilds said:

Maybe stuff like that, but the question is: if players can achieve the same things with existing tools that don't consume resources, why would they use the ones that consume resources? Maybe the consumables could be part of a gameplay loop/system that is not separate from normal gameplay, but produces different outcomes that you can't produce with your normal equipment. Sounds like a complicated design challenge :D.

IMO, Synthula and Stims could've been a good resource sink but there are so many arbitrary limits that it's worthless. (One type, 5 of that one only, 120 seconds, very small range, ridiculous single synthula build and 2 required for one stim.) 

Health Restore (Large) is a very good item for most frames, but it's so ridiculous to farm being that you're gated to SCANNING these items, a very limited amount of the rare versions spawn, and it needs to be a certain time of day in order to even get the other ones which is a 4 hour cycle for each. Or you could farm caches in one of the largest tilesets with some of the most annoying cache spawns for <30% chance on the third cache. 

There's a lot of gear that could be made as well as bandaids, like a medi-recall for pets that return them to the battle field if they die so long as you've contributed x resources and a GS injector into the gear item. A rebuild regeneration item to recall sentinels. A gear item to change loadouts mid-game. So forth. 

I think the biggest problem is that DE is still afraid of giving us more tools. Being that we have an infinite gear wheel, yet only so many items that actually need to be equipped on it. (Just leaving a spear, mining tool, synthesis scanner, and restores on it to deal with the more annoying parts of the game, and then everything else is optional at best.) 

Edited by ShichiseitenYasha

I would much rather prefer a resource conversion, with conversion rates that fluctuate. 

Imagine a stock market for resources. 

I could finally put some of those millions  of Nano spores to use. 

This way all the old grind is not wasted and the new content is not one day completed either if the conversion is inefficient in the beginning but improves over time. 

I think the best solution would be to let players trade in resources in some way.

So trade in 2:1 for resources of the same rarity like: orokin cells > neural sensors > control modules > neurodes > gallium > orokin cells as an example.
And then there would be some way to upgrade from common to more rare resources.

This would make running stuff over and over again more rewarding, so players can just do what they enjoy the most instead of stacking up useless stuff.
It would also slowly chip away at the resource piles, because trading i stuff would less efficient.

A resource dump might still be necessary, but it should make managing things way easier.