Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mage themed frame rough draft

Gashabae

Let me start by saying I'm fairly certain a theme as vague as a Mage probably wouldn't fly in the world of Warframe where a good amount (arguably all) of Warframe's could be identified as a mage (Elemental frames, Limbo, Nova, etc.). I'm only throwing this idea out here because I actually like the abilities and how they interact with each other regardless of how farfetched the actual frame would be thematically. I might reuse some abilities in some other concepts that could actually realistically be placed in the Warframe universe.

< Suggestions and Questions are encouraged >

I left out the following details:

- Specific base stats for frame (will be added at a later date in a new topic)

- Name of the frame and will be presented simply as -Name- (there are so many mage like sources to derive a name so I'm in no rush)

- Whether the frame is male / female (that'll come with the name)

- The maker's name (in the lore) although I'm not sure whether the identity of the maker should remain anonymous or not

- In dept stats of abilities (will be added at a later date in a new topic)

Lore (I typically don't bother with lore but to repeat it wont work in Warframe anyways so why not try now)

The lore provides some explanation to some of its abilities and its passive.

Spoiler

-Name- was created by a maker. This maker loved -Name- and imbued some of the makers strength into the maker's creation. The creation was among the most powerful entities in the 'universe'. As time passed -Name- became bored as no foe that faced the creation would come close to -Name- strength. -Name- decided to leave its maker in search for someone worthy to be called its adversary. The maker pleaded -Name- to stay as the maker explained the true reason for the creations existence was to heal the maker's loneliness. This only caused -Name- decision to leave to come easier and with that -Name- left in haste to find the one the creation could call its adversary. Through the years of -Name- travels it could never find the one. One day, -Name- came back to the maker and the maker welcomed the creation with open arms, however the maker had mistook the creation's return with intentions of good will. Right then and there -Name- attacked the maker mortally wounding the maker with little resistance. The creation was enraged as it wanted to fight its maker yet the maker refused to hurt its beloved creation. As the moments passed leading on to the makers death the realization that nothing would cause happiness for the creation over flowed the makers mind. The makers final action as the life faded away was to curse the creation but this was not done out of spite but as a final gift to the creation. The maker died with a blissful expression. The creation's strength was brought down to that of a common creation and with that the creation continued its travels in hopes of one day finding the one it could call its adversary.

This is pretty basic as far as storylines go but with the whole mage theme I think it would fit (provided more details are added). Once again, I do not care that it doesn't fit in the Warframe Universe. I'm really not that familiar with Warframe lore anyways, I played basically all of the main quests with master volume turned off.

Base Stats

Health - Above Average

Shields - Average

Armour - Below Average

Sprint - Above Average

Energy - Average (A part of the frame's curse which is explained in lore)

Passive

Warlock's Burden - When energy is used up health can be used in its stead. While it does bypass shields the damage cannot be lethal (inspired by a card under the same name from the game Paragon... R.I.P). (A part of the frame's curse which is explained in lore)

Abilities

Siphon (1)

-Name- summons an exalted staff (named -Name-['s] staff) replacing the equipped melee weapon. This weapon is moddable like any other exalted melee weapon, however, it does not provide any bonus with basic attacks (no energy wave - Excalibur/Baruuk, life steal - Valkyr, extended reach - Wukong) and is essentially like any other melee weapon in this right. What sets it apart from any old melee weapon is two things. Firstly, it has a custom stance. Secondly, heavy attacks are removed and replaced with a siphon like ability. Enemies in a cone in front of -Name- have all loot stolen from them with an increased chance at dropping an energy orb. If that same enemy is killed by the staff they have an additional chance at dropping loot.

Cost - 25 energy + TBD drain

One's Fate (2) Inspired by the ability Domino from the Dishonored franchise

Links enemies within a radius of a point -Name- is looking at (reticle location). Damaging any one of the enemies linked by One's Fate will damage all other enemies linked by a % (% tbd, probably ~25%) of the damage done. Links ~4 enemies which increases with power strength. For a duration of ~10-14s at base. Recasting will link 4 enemies but remove the previous link.

Cost - 50 energy

Curse (3)

Enemies who are cursed suffer from a small reduction of armour and sprint speed which gradually grows in potency as time passes. Slow and armour removal rate are increased by power strength. Range is cone in front but is converted to radius while the siphon is active (raises up staff similar to Excalibur's Radial Blind or maybe slams staff down similar to Oberon's Renewal)

Cost - 75 energy

Archmage (4)

An orb of pure energy forms above -Name- providing damage reduction (max of 95%) and absorbs all the damage it prevented for the duration of the ability. Upon expiration the orb detonates using up all the stored damage, however, this does not damage enemies. The residual energy primes enemies to take more damage from -Name-'s abilities (staff and link do more damage and the slow from cures increases at a faster rate). The damage multiplier scales with power strength.

Cost - All energy (duration scales off of energy like Harrow's Penance does with shields)

Depending on how strong the abilities end up being I may swap the position of the first three but for now this will be how the abilities are presented.

Help! - Specific parts of abilities I need help flushing out

Spoiler

As I said earlier please do suggest anything but in particular I have to ask for some help with Siphon and One's Fate. I'm not sure if Siphon would be considered too much or how One's fate would work with linking weapons. What I mean by this is;

- Should it only drop additional common/uncommon drops on kill?

- Should this work on VIP targets (assassination targets/sentients/etc.)?

and for One's Fate

- How would weapons like Amprex/Atomos/Gaze interact with this ability?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I have come to realize the interaction with certain healers/healing weapons/healing mods would cause him to essentially have infinite energy.

Proposed solution - Energy cost is multiplied by two when applied to health and/or healing is reduced by 50% from all sources. Any % Life-steal cards do not work

Thank you for reading 🙂 

- Good Luck, Have Fun -

Edited by Be_Stupid
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Be_Stupid said:

Base Stats

Health - Above Average

Shields - Average

Armour - Below Average

Sprint - Above Average

Energy - Average (A part of the frame's curse which is explained in lore)

I love how you did this. That's a convention that would benefit a lot of frame creators to use.

My only thought is that their 1 is an exalted? Unconventional, but I'll allow it.
If their 1 was their 4... like tap to, "magic missile," hold to Energy Ball, scaling in cost and size.

Everything here look good. 😃

26 minutes ago, kapn655321 said:

I love how you did this. That's a convention that would benefit a lot of frame creators to use.

I was planning on adding stats later so I can't really take credit, thank you though ... maybe I'll leave it now 😏

26 minutes ago, kapn655321 said:

My only thought is that their 1 is an exalted? Unconventional, but I'll allow it.
If their 1 was their 4... like tap to, "magic missile," hold to Energy Ball, scaling in cost and size

Yea I'm really not sure where to put the first three abilities 🤣, I mean Balefire exists so it's not beyond reason to have it as a first ability but I'm still jumping back and fourth on it. Though I really want the fourth ability to stay the way it is (mostly as an excuse to grand 95% dr with no negative unlike Mesa) and the shoot projectile kind of ability seems a bit over done (Ash/Ember/Frost/Nova/etc.), there are probably tons of ways to make it stand out but I just can't think of any at the moment.

Edit: I just realize I'm complaining about how overdone the projectile ability is while I'm proposing to keep a dr ability 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Be_Stupid
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, kapn655321 said:

Same idea with charging the ball.

So in other words it would go;

1 - Energy ball

2/3

4 - Exalted Melee

The thing is the staff as I imagine it isn't really that strong. The stance would allow it to take advantage of the natural range of staves but besides that I imagine some mediocre stats compared to other exalted melee weapons. As you could imagine I don't want the comparison to Iron Staff because of this. If the energy ball remained in the fourth ability slot I'd be more on board with it. The melee can be ability 1/2/3 just not the fourth since Iron Staff would blow it out of the water.

If it stayed as a fourth I could combine the two ideas; Upon expiration the orb remains above -Name- and hold cast fires the orb? The problem with that is I'm afraid it would be too similar to Garuda's Blood Mirror or Nyx's Absorb. None of the other abilities really fit in the fourth slot so the way I see it;

First - ability 1/2/3

Second - ability 1/2/3

Third - ability 1/2/3

Fourth - ability 4 or proposed Energy Ball

• Like 2

For Siphon I would rather go for Exalted Speargun - blasting enemies with energy projectiles as primary attack and secondary attack allowing to toss the weapon itself to create a loot syphoning field.

As far as it goes for lore - have you done The Sacrifice quest?

9 minutes ago, xGryphus said:

For Siphon I would rather go for Exalted Speargun - blasting enemies with energy projectiles as primary attack and secondary attack allowing to toss the weapon itself to create a loot syphoning field.

As long as it retains the appearance of a staff I 100% prefer this suggestion over the original (although I kind of liked the doubling up on loot being limited to the weapon kills). You'll see that speargun in the final concept later on 🙂 

10 minutes ago, xGryphus said:

Have you done The Sacrifice quest?

I've done them all I just don't really care for the story most of them provide. Since about the first few months of playing Warframe I've had the master volume turned off while listening to music. I know the basics but that's mostly through other people talking about it while in squad/clan chat

• Like 1

Take Scourge as an example in terms of aesthetics and basic usage. The point of alternative fire is that you'll need to balance between using Exalted weapon as source of damage or additional loot (since after tossing -Name- will automatically switch to secondary/melee while upkeep cost remains active). On second thought it might be more reasonable to give enemies killer inside zone additional drop roll while also providing "staff" with loot vacum. Go even further and give "Staff" more synergy with other skills: make it echo every cast of Curse (consider making it radial cast altogether) and allow One's Fate link to it while cast in proximity for double effect. Reduce base DR of Archmage but scale it up based on distance to the "staff". All in all this would encourage more strategic placement and knit whole kit together.

Alternative name suggestion for Archmage - Eye of the Magi

Edited by xGryphus

1 hour ago, xGryphus said:

Take Scourge as an example in terms of aesthetics and basic usage. The point of alternative fire is that you'll need to balance between using Exalted weapon as source of damage or additional loot (since after tossing -Name- will automatically switch to secondary/melee while upkeep cost remains active). On second thought it might be more reasonable to give enemies killer inside zone additional drop roll while also providing "staff" with loot vacum. Go even further and give "Staff" more synergy with other skills: make it echo every cast of Curse (consider making it radial cast altogether) and allow One's Fate link to it while cast in proximity for double effect. Reduce base DR of Archmage but scale it up based on distance to the "staff". All in all this would encourage more strategic placement and knit whole kit together.

All excellent ideas. Considering the above I'm thinking the ability order would go;

1 - One's Fate

2 - Curse

3 - Eye of the Magi (you suggested the DR be reduced so I'm assuming you intended it to be the third ability)

4 - Siphon (the speargun version, I'm also considering renaming this)

Since you suggested curse to always be radial what do you think of a partitioned mallet kind of thing (if it and the speargun are split the radius is halved)? Or were you thinking more along the lines of Wisp with the clone and wave thing... I don't remember any of her ability names (would this be a bit too much) ? Also want to add that the vacuum and link applying to the speargun is awesome.

As for Eye of the Magi as a name, believe it or not I initially imagined an Eye of Sauran aesthetic and now that you've given a really good name I'm starting to wonder if I should roll with the visual and change what it does (something eye related). There's also the literal third eye idea where it is part of the frame and remains closed almost like the mutation of Nidus and opens glowing when the ability is in use. There are dozens of examples of this but I'm picturing what I'm familiar with being Judar from the Magi anime series. Either way I'm using that name because it's way better than Archmage.

• Like 1

Glad you like it 🙂 I guess this ability order is just about right. Paired with my suggestions, -staff- works as an extension to other skills - it's wise to leave it for last, so aplayer can master other skills before. It also allows to make it really powerfull DPS tool, which in return would make balancing between raw damage and ability buff even more important.

I don't see the need to use partitioned mallet behavior - after all, you'll need to sacrifice -staff- damage potential while retaining energy cost - a fair trade I think.

As for the name, I've been thinking about Pillar of Creation. Might be a bit over the top, thoght.

Third eye opening on frame is a nice touch but you'll need a visual indicator (like particle effect over head) to clearly see when ability is in use, especially since you only see back of warframe most of the time.

In terms of lore:

Spoiler

Warframes had been created by Ballas, or at very least had been overseen by him. Warframe progenitors (first of their kind) are a result of infecting living humas with cerfully picked infestation strains.

Edited by xGryphus

4 hours ago, xGryphus said:

I don't see the need to use partitioned mallet behavior - after all, you'll need to sacrifice -staff- damage potential while retaining energy cost - a fair trade I think.

Fair enough 👍

As for the name, I've been thinking about Pillar of Creation. Might be a bit over the top, thoght.

On second thought I don't want to rename the ability but the staff itself (if that makes sense). Having multiple abilities with ~3 words seems like a bit much. I don't think the name itself is 'extra' but I'm not sure if it applies to the actual ability... unless I make it? I'm imagining it creates golems similar to Atlas, of course I'm not proposing it straight up copies Atlas but maybe had a similar animated creation. This is assuming the ability name changes to Pillar of Creation but it'd probably be easier to come up with a different name that works a bit better. I hate always drawing comparisons to anime shows but in Fate/Apocrypha the Caster of Black uses creation magic (I think they call it that? Basically animation of inanimate objects) to make golems and the word creation constantly comes up as it pertains to the lore surrounding him. I just don't see it working but that may just be the bias of my previous image/lore of the frame (seeing as how the lore doesn't work this could change with the frame or just be ignored out right).

You described the third eye essentially how I pictured it working + maybe a faint glare effect.

In terms of lore:

This is the last time I try to do anything with lore 😧

Next more polished post I'll just treat it as noncanonical lore or just remove it out right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Be_Stupid said:

On second thought I don't want to rename the ability but the staff itself (if that makes sense). Having multiple abilities with ~3 words seems like a bit much. I don't think the name itself is 'extra' but I'm not sure if it applies to the actual ability... unless I make it? I'm imagining it creates golems similar to Atlas, of course I'm not proposing it straight up copies Atlas but maybe had a similar animated creation. This is assuming the ability name changes to Pillar of Creation but it'd probably be easier to come up with a different name that works a bit better. I hate always drawing comparisons to anime shows but in Fate/Apocrypha the Caster of Black uses creation magic (I think they call it that? Basically animation of inanimate objects) to make golems and the word creation constantly comes up as it pertains to the lore surrounding him. I just don't see it working but that may just be the bias of my previous image/lore of the frame (seeing as how the lore doesn't work this could change with the frame or just be ignored out right).

I get the reference. What I had in mind is that 4th skill is basically foundation (Pillar) of the whole kit. Additionally, pillar remotely resembles staff. The second part, of Creation, also refers to the fact, that -staff- creates additional effects for other skills. The name itself is borrowed from a famous foto of columns of interstellar gas and dust in the Eagle Nebula.

Some Exlated weapons share name with the ability (Artemis Bow, Exalted Blade) other don't (Primal Fury - Iron Staff, Serene Storm - Desert Wind). It's up to you I guess.

3 hours ago, Be_Stupid said:

This is the last time I try to do anything with lore 😧

Next more polished post I'll just treat it as noncanonical lore or just remove it out right.

Take it easy - the lore bit is fine by itself, it just don't quite fits Warframe lore. I bet it can be fixed with a bit of tinkering. As a side note, I highly encourage you to study Warframe lore - personally I find it fascinating and quite anime-worthy to be honest.

Edited by xGryphus

36 minutes ago, xGryphus said:

You made some good points about the exalted weapons, I'll probably go with your suggestion but that might change if I come up with something else. I can't promise anything but I'll try and look into the lore and see if anything peaks my interest.

Thanks for the help, Imma start putting together the final draft 🙂