The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Discussion on Cross Save

(PSN)Mythologica

Given time, and resources, I'm certain DE could allow accounts to be merged and saves to be cross-platform. Warframe was in a time before that was even a thought in most players minds. It would absolutely be a good thing for all players.

However, let's look at issues with that. Currently, we have a distinct set of differences with each platform. PC has tennogen for sale through steam funds, PS4 and Xbox I do believe sell it through platinum. Cross saves would allow players to buy items on console for plat instead of the steam fund price on PC. I'd for one, take huge advantage of that if possible. I can trade for Plat. I cannot trade for steam funds. Cross saves would mean I could buy it on one platform, and have it on another. That's a problem with tennogen and how they are priced differently based on what platform they are on.

Plus for those with multiple accounts. How would merging work? Would the items on each just transfer over? What about warframe/weapon slot differences? There are tons of issues with a simple merge. Once the whole fiasco of the initial mergers, things would be fine, but everything would have to be done in a way that probably needs attention by a person. It'd be difficult, but worth it for the players. I'd love to have Warframe on PC and the Switch. That way I could continue playing if I ever left and wanted Warframe on the go.

In my eyes, it would be nice. Would it be worth the effort? They'd get a lot of goodwill from it. But how long would that last? A lot of things need to change for a cross-save to work. Namely, update releases. All updates would have to be synchronized with each other. And considering the speed at which DE updates, there would be even worse content drought than now.

33 minutes ago, CaptainMinty said:

All updates would have to be synchronized with each other. And considering the speed at which DE updates, there would be even worse content drought than now.

Switch was a update behind during migrations and those that had fortuna resources and weapons on PC had wip items in switch inventory tell the next update made them functional. Though that may have required a lot of scripting. Or DE can just take a save data snapshot per latest update for those that opt-in and when the update comes to console you can choose your saved profile at the time of that update. But everyone is just ignoring the dev stream I posted. Steve received a 20 page doc from the program team on options how to do it.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Firetempest said:

Switch was a update behind during migrations and those that had fortuna resources and weapons on PC had wip items in switch inventory tell the next update made them functional. Though that may have required a lot of scripting. Or DE can just take a save data snapshot per latest update for those that opt-in and when the update comes to console you can choose your saved profile at the time of that update. But everyone is just ignoring the dev stream I posted. Steve received a 20 page doc from the program team on options how to do it.

I didn't ignore it. I've seen that devstream. And again, there is the problem of Tennogen which is purchasable for Plat on console, while not being so on PC. Cross save means that what is bought on Xbox, can be used on PC. Tennogen then is something that does not have consistent prices across all platforms and that will be abused. I for one, would probably do it due to me not really wanting to stuff steam money in for tennogen anymore. I'd rather trade for platinum and get it through a console.

Also, they've done investigations only on how to do it. Which means they've looked at options on how to enable cross saving. They have not even begun to look into the issue of people having multiple accounts for multiple platforms and what to do there. They probably haven't thought of the tennogen issue. Also, while they've dedicated time to figuring out how to do it, that doesn't mean they have actually put any work into it. And again, part of making cross saves useful is unifying what update every platform is on. You can't tell me people won't abuse that issue with Tennogen. Cause I sure as sugar will. I would much rather trade for plat and use it on those wonderful items.

2 hours ago, CaptainMinty said:

They probably haven't thought of the tennogen issue. 

I doubt that. That's why they have also called it cross progression. There is no reason they can't bar specific cosmetics. Because you won't have PS4,Xbox,switch specific or Tennogen cosmetics moved to PC nor PC tennogens, steam skins to console. 

1 minute ago, Paradrex182 said:

How come there a bunch of games that allow you to do it yet warframe still can't work out how to do it...

Because it isn't about DE not being able to work out how to do it?

Console manufacturers keep saying no. DE has started talking about Cross-progression though. No idea what the ETA is.

It's not just Warframe's call to make. It is Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo's call first, and even then there's the lovely problem of the fact that PC and Consoles run on drastically different builds (and sometimes consoles run on different builds too). Given Empyrean's recent console release, I would imagine that nobody would like console releases to be as buggy as PC releases are, so that would have to be excluded, save a specific 'cross save' version of Warframe.

Cross save doesn't work when you have version mismatch between platforms, because gear that you have on one platform may not yet even be in the game's code on another platform--in this instance allowing cross-save could introduce bugs that could break accounts, or cause a loss of items when transferring back and forth.

Moreover, there are items exclusive to the PC version of the game that the big three (Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo) do not want present in the console versions of the game, as console players never had an opportunity to obtain said items (i.e. Founders items, limited time event items which were never available on consoles, etc).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Paradrex182 said:

How come there a bunch of games that allow you to do it yet warframe still can't work out how to do it...

There's a common fallacy on the forums that tends to go like this: "other games were allowed to have cross save, that means Warframe is already allowed to. Therefore DE are incompetent for not doing so." But as spelled out by the staff themselves:

26 minutes ago, Letter13 said:

Moreover, there are items exclusive to the PC version of the game that the big three (Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo) do not want present in the console versions of the game, as console players never had an opportunity to obtain said items (i.e. Founders items, limited time event items which were never available on consoles, etc).

Warframe actually ISN'T allowed to do it

48 minutes ago, Letter13 said:

Founders items, limited time event items which were never available on consoles, etc

Aren't these things present in the console version because they allowed people to import their accounts when each consoles launched? I'd imagine that the people who moved from pc to and of the console would still have these if they migrated. 

1 hour ago, Paradrex182 said:

warframe still can't work out how to do it

The main issue has been mentioned already. Console patches tend to take longer to make sure that it is the least buggiest form of the update. This would either delay PC patches to match the console release or it would make console patches as broken as the PC launches. This means the hotfixes now also have to wait for console approvals. 

They have mentioned that they are looking into cross saves in one of the recent dev streams, which gives me a bit of hope. However, I wouldn't hold my breath for it. 

9 minutes ago, (NSW)KentInkOVanheim said:

Aren't these things present in the console version because they allowed people to import their accounts when each consoles launched? I'd imagine that the people who moved from pc to and of the console would still have these if they migrated. 

No, they are not. The limited time account migrations removed any PC exclusive gear from accounts during the transfer. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2019-12-23 at 6:09 PM, Letter13 said:

Cross save doesn't work when you have version mismatch between platforms, because gear that you have on one platform may not yet even be in the game's code on another platform--in this instance allowing cross-save could introduce bugs that could break accounts, or cause a loss of items when transferring back and forth.

So for Warframe, "CrossSave doesn't work"

but Danielle said in last stream on 1/7/2020 &  a dev stream from Oct 2019, indicated they're working on CrossSave now. Both streams indicated CrossPlay is Not something they're doing... but CrossSave IS.

• Like 1