Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Discussion on Cross Save

(PSN)Mythologica

It is not a thing although from what I recall it is something the devs have said they might possibly consider thinking about sometime in the future ... maybe.

Edit:  Well, not cross save as such.  More like .. shared progress?  Or something.  Maybe.

Edited by Elessara1

I think once the next gen consoles arrive it could open the door to cross play. I read that the new xbox potentially could support steam (forget where but it looked legitimate)

I think Microsoft is thinking that way and would be the one to support it with DE. If it supports steam then I have a feeling that Warframe on the Xbox might not need to go through cert for updates. I'd suspect that cross save would be the beginning of the process but who's to say that by 2022 we could have some sort of cross platform play being supported by the next generation of consoles?

I personally dont mind the wait for cert, the update is generally more polished, it still has it bugs but it's not as bad compared to the initial release. I think the future of this game is to move toward cross play, youd have the entire community in one place, which would have alot more positives and let the game to continue to grow.

Edited by (XB1)Cram Duahcim

in one of the last devstteam Steve said they have someone working on cross saves/shared progression but railjack threw a wrench in the works because it changed the way profiles are saved or something like that.

rest assured, they are working on it but I wouldn't hold my breath for it to come soon.

maybe if we are lucky they will announce it at tennocon

16 hours ago, (XB1)SneakingPillow said:

Went from xbox to PC, can't go back. Cross save or moving characters from xbox to PC any time soon? Is it a thing yet?

There are 2 concepts to be considered here, ppl get them mixed up.
Cross-save: 1 account, play it on PC or Xbox or PS4 or Switch, change any time you like or migrate your account between them.
Cross-play: you are locked to your platform of choice, but you can play with other ppl of a different platform, i.e. PC players trading/playing with Xbox users.

Cross-save (which it seems you want), will never happen due to contractual obligations with MS/Sony, as PC has no such "contracts" there was a period of going from PC to a console, but never console to PC, essentially the consoles do not want to lose players/accounts to PC so they only allow one way migrations in the contracts.

Cross-play might happen, and is what DE has talked about, but it requires some logistical hurdles because PC is always a patch or more ahead and is the testing grounds for more stable console patches. Also the tennogen aspect is another problem.
There are a few ways I could see cross-play happening, but yeah, not any time soon.

37 minutes ago, Carnage2K4 said:

Cross-save (which it seems you want), will never happen due to contractual obligations with MS/Sony, as PC has no such "contracts" there was a period of going from PC to a console, but never console to PC, essentially the consoles do not want to lose players/accounts to PC so they only allow one way migrations in the contracts.

They clearly said they are specifically working on cross save a few dev streams ago so..... Also other games do it so there is no contract issues with sony, at least anymore. Fortnite, for example, can not only cross save, but they can cross play as well. Also Destiny 2 recently went full cross save between PC/PS4/XB1/STATIA.

Edited by (PS4)Syntactycal

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Syntactycal said:

They clearly said they are specifically working on cross save a few dev streams ago so..... Also other games do it so there is no contract issues with sony, at least anymore. Fortnite, for example, can not only cross save, but they can cross play as well. Also Destiny 2 recently went full cross save between PC/PS4/XB1/STATIA.

Unless you can find the clip, I'm positive that it's cross-play they are talking about doing, what other games do is irrelevant because DE are already in contract with Sony/MS and would need to 'renegotiate" or do whatever to alter the terms to allow something they have previously not been allowed to do.

1 hour ago, Carnage2K4 said:

Unless you can find the clip, I'm positive that it's cross-play they are talking about doing, what other games do is irrelevant because DE are already in contract with Sony/MS and would need to 'renegotiate" or do whatever to alter the terms to allow something they have previously not been allowed to do.

Which could happen with the release of next gen consoles. The xbox might potentially support Steam so it's not out of the realm of possibility that with that support you could see cross play happening from Microsofts end.

Edited by (XB1)Cram Duahcim

So I just got to thinking does DE have Xbox/PSN profiles?

Well yes and no, why was I asking myself this well every now and then I see Megan or someone logged into Warframe on Xbox via chat yet if you try to view there gamerprofile it doesnt exist.
Well the obvious answer they must be logging in via PC.....wait a minute the Xbox chat app for ingame is platform exclusive! How are they playing with player then too? Here's my theory either:
A) The most probable answer they are hiding their GT ingame (The problem with this: It violates Nintendo/Xbox/Playstation User Agreements) of course they could have "permission"
B) They have crossplay and are playing from there computers via a Dev Exclusive Windows 10 app

This is just a Theory and random thought please don't take it too serious but I would like a discussion on why "cross-save"/Crossplay is hard for them to implement when stuff like Destiny 2 and Fortnite proved its as simple as a single line of code being enabled
(see Fortnite accidentally enabled crossplay controversy from several years ago)

22 hours ago, Carnage2K4 said:

Cross-play might happen, and is what DE has talked about, but it requires some logistical hurdles because PC is always a patch or more ahead and is the testing grounds for more stable console patches. Also the tennogen aspect is another problem.
There are a few ways I could see cross-play happening, but yeah, not any time soon.

This is incorrect information.  A few dev streams back they made it clear, cross save is something they are looking into, cross play isn't currently a thought.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Carnage2K4 said:

Unless you can find the clip, I'm positive that it's cross-play they are talking about doing

Here. Devstream 131, at the end of the summary (amongst tidbits). https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Devstream_131

By the way, it is obvious that cross play is impossible as the game has different update times. They are not looking into cross play.

7 hours ago, Dhrekr said:

Here. Devstream 131, at the end of the summary (amongst tidbits). https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Devstream_131

By the way, it is obvious that cross play is impossible as the game has different update times. They are not looking into cross play.

Okay fair enough, I watched the clip, at 1:12:10 of the 131 Stream, they are indeed looking into cross-save/progression over all platforms.

It's not impossible to do cross-play frankly I think it would be easier and also bring the communities together, it just requires some alteration to the current system, for example having a 'stable' PC version and a 'public test server' version of the game, the stable version being in line with the consoles, and the PTS version being essentially what we are playing now, ppl just copy forward their stable version into the PTS when a mainline patch comes out if they want to participate and progression is kept as the PTS version of the game eventually becomes the stable version over subsequent hotfixes.

Edited by Carnage2K4

3 minutes ago, realmzjetter said:

Lets be honest, with DE's history of breaking and not even understanding their own code, do you really want them to be moving or changing your saved data in any way?

I assume you're talking to me...
Who's "changing save data"?
It's not like your account would no longer exist on the stable version of tha game... And in all functionality the PTS is what we are playing right now... I'm not suggesting making a new "more-beta" game to play, I'm suggesting that the version we play right now on PC becomes the PTS, and that there is a version of the game which is the same patch as the consoles which has cross-play.

On 2020-02-21 at 1:16 PM, (PS4)Syntactycal said:

I just want to move my 100's of hours on ps4 to pc so I can play on my new rig. Dont want to play on ps4 anymore lol jesus help me

Same thing here. I played nothing for hours on end at one point in my life, getting to a respectable MR rank. And now that I have a PC, there is no way I can go back to a console. 
I just hope they have a form of cross-save, and maybe later on add cross-play. But with how slow everything is going, guess I'll be skipping out on a couple updates.

On 2020-02-17 at 10:46 AM, Carnage2K4 said:

Account migration will probably never come back. Cross-progression is a different beast. Destiny 2 does this, but it was built to do this from the start. Not many studios have the clout to secure this kind of contract. DE will need to renegotiate, which makes it trickier. The fact that they themselves keep bringing it up suggests to me that they have already spoken to some people about licenses.

Some things cannot carry over in cross-progression. TennoGen, for example. DE will have to negotiate hard to include anything purchased with platinum, but I think they have a good chance at getting inventory slots, loadout slots, forma and potatoes. You will probably lose your platform-specific cosmetics, maybe even all cosmetics. Quests, player stats, star chart progression, etc; all these things are easy, as they cost platform holders nothing. Dojos and clan research... that's a tough one, because clans on different platforms are on different databases. Think about the insane task of copying any dojo in the monthly highlights. But it would be a tragic loss if they don't crossover. Enough to kill the prospect for many players, I bet. Inventory, builds and account progress would be enough for me to switch to PC. But I would feel the dojo/research loss deeply.

It's impossible to know what form cross-progression will take, but it is certainly possible to negotiate for it in some form, however neutered.

Edit: Oh look, I scrolled down and this conversation has already been had. Pardon while I laugh at myself a bit.

Edited by (PS4)BlitzKeir

On 2020-02-21 at 4:16 PM, (PS4)Syntactycal said:

I just want to move my 100's of hours on ps4 to pc so I can play on my new rig. Dont want to play on ps4 anymore lol jesus help me

Same here!! 😄

@DE: I'm currently on PS4. I DO NOT plan on getting a PS5 especially because of having to pay extra to play online with other games, so when Warframe stops supporting the PS4 I'm either done with Warframe OR I will continue on PC via Cross-saves (and stay there). I will not start a new Warframe account!! PLEEASE work on those Cross-saves!!!!! I love warframe! Currently my favorite game and has been for a loong time!!! Steam is a great PSN-ish type thing (but MUUUCH BETTER) on PC and where I currently look for games first. Join them!!! Even if you don't, Steam can kinda absorb non Steam games into its library!! You WILL be assimilated!!! lol XD

(I'm not sure why most of my post is highlighted in grey. ignore it.)

• Like 1

why cant folk just accept there are different services, provided by different companies.

if you want to play PC, play pc. if you want to play console... play console (for whatever reason you have for either),

There is only ONE way any corss platorm communication/sharing can EVER happen, and that is having the game become server based rather than P2P. that way the console needs only host a launcher which then connects to the server, allowing DE to control ALL game data rather than just PC.

11 minutes ago, CobraCommanderPrime said:

if you want to play PC, play pc. if you want to play console... play console (for whatever reason you have for either),

I didn't have a gaming PC back when I started warframe! You're talking to a "OT" Riiight heeyaa!! (Original Tenno(kinda like OG)) 😎

After I can move my WF account to PC, my PS4 will be exclusively for Blu-ray movies and Netflix!! XD

Oops!! I do Netflix on my PC also. lol

Edited by (PS4)KillJoyDOD
  • Like 1