Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Embolist any good?

Canach

Question

I'm playing with the idea of building an Embolist for my Nova to use as a pistola. If the Embolist is non-garbage, I'd like to give it a shot. (build plans currently considering Eroding Blight, Magnum Force, and Ruinous Extention).

Any thoughts on good/bad or build suggestions? 

Thanks!  :redveil:

24 answers to this question

Yes Embolist is destructive. With the right build, it melts Grineer's armor in a few seconds.

Furthermore, find it a riven. Build 100% status, and add Ruinous Extension for more range (short range is its weakness).

Edit: if you have a good damage riven, you can save 1 more mod slot for Seeker mod for punch through, as Embolist is more excellent at killing a big group of enemies.

Edited by Diangelius
  • Like 1

On 2020-01-31 at 12:42 PM, kapn655321 said:

Embolist is part of my main kit. I love it.

Pistol Ammo Mutation? Does it burn through ammo worse than a typical SMG?

(Embolist blueprint still waiting for Mutagen Masses from the Invasions done yesterday/this morning)

1 hour ago, Canach said:

Pistol Ammo Mutation? Does it burn through ammo worse than a typical SMG?

(Embolist blueprint still waiting for Mutagen Masses from the Invasions done yesterday/this morning)

Nope, I just like the reliability for long matches. It's actually very efficient on ammo the way I've got it.. but since it's one you just spray the whole time, you can burn through eventually. It's max ammo pool is pretty low, too.

Sadly if you ask the question "Is weapon A/B/C any good" people will always answer "yes" then proceed to flex and show pics of rivens making said weapons acceptable or way better, this is ofc a rubbish opinion because the weapon itsself is not good when a riven is needed as a crutch, technically that means nearly every weapon is "good".

If you want some secondary that synergizes and makes more boom potential with nova, you would probably be far better off with anything but the embolist, try the safer choice of the Atomos or something similar instead, that chains damage and increases the chances of exploding more of novas molecular primes.

Slap on Corrosive + Blast for decent armor strip and gain some useful crowd control at the same time...

Edited by Methanoid

@Methanoid I hear you about answering 'best of?' questions with best builds and rivens, but that's really what I wanted to see - how do people max it and do they like it enough to use rivens with it?  As far as the Atmos, I am familar with it - great little weapon! (may actually rebuild it someday - its fairly unique)

Whelp - got Embolist out of the oven, fed it a potato, and took it for a rank 0 run yesterday - very happy with the weapon so far. I will definately throw a forma or two on it. Thanks to everyone for the comments!

Synergy - Nova is using an overclocked Supra Vandal with Entropy Burst, the Embolist with Eroding Blight, and the Rakta Dark Dagger with Gleaming Blight. She gets all 3 radial affects (all give 25% base energy and do an AoE) and my test run worked pretty well - it will be fun to run her this way for a while!

Edited by Canach

2 minutes ago, kapn655321 said:

I was flexing? o_O

Definately not - it was an appropriate response - what I was asking for. Nice Embolist!

To Methanoid's point, "show me a build" always results in a fine display of heavy forma, primed mods, and choice rivens. That shouldnt bother anybody...but if the builds are out of reach for some...  Its all very SEP as far as I'm concerned!

1 hour ago, kapn655321 said:

I was flexing? o_O

1 hour ago, Canach said:

Definately not - it was an appropriate response - what I was asking for. Nice Embolist!

To Methanoid's point, "show me a build" always results in a fine display of heavy forma, primed mods, and choice rivens. That shouldnt bother anybody...but if the builds are out of reach for some...  Its all very SEP as far as I'm concerned!

it wasnt really intended as a direct insult, more of a typically accurate example showing why "what is a good weapon" tends to never focus on the actual weapon, and instead 99.9% of the time instantly devolves into showcasing a riven as a crutch rather than answering the actual question of "is this actual weapon" good, clearly anything with a kickass riven can be good, but that doesnt make the weapon itsself good just the riven slapped into it, which even if someone posts a pic of theirs does not mean someone else can achieve the same easily or at all.

Embolist has a 5/5 disposition. This is not a weapon where crazy rivens are very hard to roll for. Nice little stock of Kuva will get you something pretty great unless you're very unlucky. Which is why I replied saying rivens for it are great. Not because you have to do hundreds of rolls and pray, but because it's 5/5.

27 minutes ago, Canach said:

Well no riven or even forma here:  Final Form (for now anyways)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ky5SZbM2muK4wr8qvqZ8_GT_992E3bjO

The one thing I'll mention there is that multishot will only improve the damage of the weapon. I believe neither status or tick rate are impacted in any way. You may notice the build I used ignores multishot, but ultimately it's up to you and whatever you find works best.

Edited by kapn655321

@Methanoid I'm not sure if you are against riven though, but to me, riven is a good chance on "how much you can twist a weapon into something else with RNG".

For unpopular weapons, it is safe to use riven. Because most of the time their riven will just stay as it is, even buffed stronger.

For a pure status weapon like Embolist, it is great to use riven. You do not need crit mods, and when you build enough big damage and status with riven alone, you can save more slots for utility which can boost your performance even further in end game.

=> This is what strong weapons lack. We save all slots for DPS build, no space for utility, same DPS builds again and again. Exilus slot alone sometimes do not have the mods we need, Ruinous Extension or punch through mods for example, as DE define them as DPS mods...

Edit: actually strong weapon or not, it is each person's distinctive feeling. Me saying Embolist good does not necessarily mean people should find it good.

Edited by Diangelius

The point is that asking "is weapon XYZ good" is a totally irrelevant question given that rivens exist at all, you can ask if the embolist any good yet the reply will basically only say yes if some kickass riven is also mentioned next, does rthat make the embolist itsself a good weapon tho, no, it makes the riven alone good, which would apply to any weapon.

20 minutes ago, Methanoid said:

The point is that asking "is weapon XYZ good" is a totally irrelevant question given that rivens exist at all, you can ask if the embolist any good yet the reply will basically only say yes if some kickass riven is also mentioned next, does rthat make the embolist itsself a good weapon tho, no, it makes the riven alone good, which would apply to any weapon.

S8HisIt.png

Embolist is pretty good, as already stated. Mentioning that rivens are excellent for it is more relevant than usual due to them being both 5/5 and cheap. Hence it was mentioned. Boo hoo.

1 minute ago, -AxHx-Vile said:

Embolist is pretty good, as already stated. Mentioning that rivens are excellent for it is more relevant than usual due to them being both 5/5 and cheap. Hence it was mentioned. Boo hoo.

i prefer

salted-panuts-500g-buy-online-salted-pea

Also, pretty sure the op's title is "embolist any good", not which riven makes the embolist good, if he embolist was actually as decent as a mini ignis it may not be as bad, but its range sucks, it has no innate punchthru and just generally sucks allround without a massive riven crutch.

• Like 1

On 2020-02-04 at 11:26 AM, Methanoid said:

It sounds like you believe rivens make bad weapons good - and generally overvalue them.  I could not disagree more.

For example, I have a nice Vulkar Wraith with a good Riven (+210.5% to Crit, +123.7% Status Chance) - Sniper with 8 round mag which I enjoy, BUT I now use the Rubico Prime - a Sniper with a 5 round mag, which I enjoy a lot more. I got no Riven for it, won't be paying $$$$ ever for a riven that expensive. In my opinion, or prefernce, the Rubico Prime is simply a better sniper rifle, and a riven on the close second-place doesn't make up the difference.

I have rivens for my Soma Prime and Baza Prime which I also use a lot, but without the rivens I would still be using both of those rifles because I grapely prefer them over their comparative peers. I also use a Tigris Prime which, like the Rubico, I will never pay the $$$$ for a riven for - doesn't mean I use the Corinth which I also enjoy and DO have a riven for  - IT is NOT about the Riven.

Just now, Canach said:

It sounds like you believe rivens make bad weapons good - and generally overvalue them.  I could not disagree more.

rivens make bad weapons better and already good weapons overkill, they are a flawed existence, rivens shouldnt even be in this thread, the title is clearly "is the embolist good", my entire point is to pretend rivens do not exist and just answer the OP's question, "is the embolist good", the answer is pretty much, no, its very underwhelming which is why i suggested the atomos given his whole thread was based on him wanting something decent to synergise with nova.

1 minute ago, Methanoid said:

rivens make bad weapons better and already good weapons overkill, they are a flawed existence, rivens shouldnt even be in this thread, the title is clearly "is the embolist good", my entire point is to pretend rivens do not exist and just answer the OP's question, "is the embolist good", the answer is pretty much, no, its very underwhelming which is why i suggested the atomos given his whole thread was based on him wanting something decent to synergise with nova.

Dude, I am the OP - and I read this thread the answer is yes, the emobolist is very good, and also rivens are great for therm. and like I said, tried the Atmos, liked it, may rebuild one, but my question was about the embolist.